Nashville, TN
Seven Oaks Park Share

Awesome Course

1    5/22/2011   8/10/2012
Review By: Shogun
Pros: This course is an awesome technical course. I found the narrow paths through the trees challenging yet rewarding if you pulled the right shot. Coming from CO, it took some time to get the altitude difference down, but beyond that the course offers tons of chances to bomb long drives and pull clutch putts between the trees.
Cons: Cicada Season!! UGH!! I hit the course in 2011 and we needed ear plugs LMAO.
Other Thoughts: I'd play there again as long as cicadas arent involved.

Will play it again!

1    6/27/2011   7/8/2011
Review By: SunOnMySkin
Pros: Challenging holes with a good mix of hills, trees, and open areas. Dog legs, and elbows help with the toughness. Also some holes are best played side arm and others back hand. Well marked with good baskets.
Cons: Hole 14 needed better marking for its tee off pad. Hole 15 is thick on each side so its easy to lose a disc. The start of the course at hole one is a little vague.
Other Thoughts: Over all this is a pretty good course. Clean and fun. Will play again for sure

Fore !!!!

1    7/14/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: I'm a big fan of multiple pin placements, and it appears that the Nashville disc golf community is as well, because both Seven Oaks and Cedar Hill have tons of em. I've only played this course one time, so I don't know how often the pins are moved, but there's a lot of potential replay value with so many possibilities.

Teepads and signs were showing their age, but were mostly adequate. Decent variety of holes: wooded, open, longer, shorter. Never felt repetitive as if we were playing the same hole over and over.

This course had more crushed rock and mulch on fairways that any course I've ever played. I'm listing this as a "pro" not because I enjoy fairways full of gravel, but because it occurs to me that this gravel didn't make it's way into these wooded fairways by itself. Someone (probably lots of someones) had to cart every stone back into these wooded fairways, and I'm assuming the alternative would have been mud. I'd much prefer gravel/mulch fairways over mudways.
Cons: My biggest gripe by far about this course is how tightly interwoven all the holes are. There are numerous places where you could hit someone (or be hit by someone) from another tee. You have teepads in the line of fire, and fairways that "T" other fairways. I could have killed a guy on 18 that I never even saw until after I'd thrown.

Adding to the likelihood of hitting someone is the fact that there are SO MANY people playing this course. We played at 2pm on a Wednesday, in 95 degree weather, and STILL saw tons of people playing. I can only imagine what it would be like on a Saturday in the spring or fall.
Other Thoughts: The 3 extra holes were placed very strangely. They don't come at the end, like you'd expect them to. In fact, we'd never have seen them at all had we not gotten lost looking for #9's tee. We finished hole 8 and went down a path that we hoped led to 9. Well, instead, we found a tee with a sign that said "III". Ok, we thought, maybe this used to be the old hole 3 and they never updated the sign? *Shrug* So we played it, went to the next tee, and it's sign said "II". It was then that we realized that we had stumbled upon the 3 extra holes and were playing them in reverse order. We backtracked and eventually found #9s tee, but that's just really strange to stick 3 holes right in the middle of the front 9. Why not renumber the holes 1-21 and give better directions to find these extra 3 holes? Better yet, why not get rid of them entirely and use that land to space out holes 1-18 so that they are a little less cramped on top of one another?

Edit: After playing the course and writing my review, I discovered that this course has it's very own website. Click the Links/Files tab up above for the link to the website. It's fantastically done, with photos and writeups of every hole. I wish every course had something like this!

good for one play

1    7/4/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: LMeyers
Pros: lots of people playing, good tee pads, people we encountered were friendly. pretty well maintained and groomed course (appears that someone cares)
Cons: some holes poorly designed, sometimes hard to find next hole.
Other Thoughts: was fun for one time, probably wouldn't go back

1    5/14/2010   5/14/2010
Review By: Fleet
Pros: Very, vey challenging, you'll need a mixed bag of throws. Lots of alternate pin placements that routinely change. Homeless guy that looks like Willie Nelson lives around the 11th hole (no joke) and gathers lost discs. He's cool; he knows a lot about the course and will point out where to go if you're lost.
Cons: The crowds are one thing, but when groups play the course out of order it throws things way off kilter, especially around the hole 6-hole 7 area. After hole six you can either go straight to hole 7 or the first of the alternate holes. It never fails that as soon as my group finishes hole 6, this large group comes out of the woods right in front of us and to get ready to play hole 7. Often times we've had to skip the hole altogether and replay either hole 1 or 10 (next to the parking lot) to make a full 18.

Some of the regulars can be complete assholes, in part because of the problem listed above, and partly because some of them don't like it at all when you ask to play through.

Some of the tee boxes need work. All the tee signs need replacing, except maybe hole 14.

The basket for hole 13 borders on the fairway at hole 14. Errant throws from the 14 tee come down on 13 all the time.

There's a large field where hole 3, 4, 9, 10, and 18 kind of converge. 18 is supposed to be the main hole but you're right next to the 4 tee, the players at 3 are coming towards you on the left, the tee at 10 is to the right down the fairway, and guys throwing at hole 9 could possibly get in the way depending on where the pin is. More often than not there's no real danger of hitting anybody/getting hit, but it does get really congested in that field sometimes.
Other Thoughts: For as many cons as I listed, it's not a terrible course. After a while you kind of learn the ways of Seven Oaks and just deal. It's the challenge the course delivers that keeps me coming back. If it weren't as difficult as it is, I probably wouldn't go there so often.

5th or 6th best Nash Area Course

5+    8/23/2009   8/24/2009
Review By: RayRay
Pros: The course is aesthetically pleasing. The layout works great and the holes are beautiful. The shots are techinical and almost all holes are birdie holes. Pin placements change frequently. This a great course to take a new player and will be challenging for an intermediate level player who is working on control. If you prefer to only use a forehand drive, you will love this course.
Cons: Aside from #18, the holes are very short. The course only has 1 to 2 shots that require more than 60% power and you can finish feeling unfulfilled. Some deep placements are tricky but most holes are relatively low risk birdie shots despite the course's technical reputation. The course is heavily overplayed by large groups of casual players and large groups of local players who lack a big enough game for the other courses. This review will not be popular amoung said players, but the course is over-rated when compared to the other great Nashville courses.
Other Thoughts: If you are a casual player, play this course, you will love it. If you are a serious player, play Cedar Hill, Crockett Park and Sharp Springs first.