Nashville, TN
Seven Oaks Park Share

Troll's Review

1    10/15/2013   10/17/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: 21 holes (3 secret) + an X factor, Wild
Multiple pin placements
Well maintained
Well labeled
Great lay out, neutral, doesn't favor right or left handed people
super good use of the landscape, hills, trees.
Benches and tables on every tee
Lots of privacy
Super awesome doubles league!
There is even a seasonal "disc bum" who dwells around, makes sure no one breaks in your car, and can tell you if they moved the pins.

Cons: nothing major to say....
No "disc fearing" holes
Or water hazards, and O.B.'s...
Other Thoughts: I know that some people(where I live) don't like the reviews I give.... Well, take a trip to Nashville. I compare courses to the whole world, not just my locality. Obviously, with Nashville's 3 to 4 different disc golf clubs, plethora of great courses... Its sad to say but Cincinnati is lacking behind

Loved it!

1    7/6/2013   7/21/2013
Review By: KimD
Pros: Very spread out!
Diverse shots. Long, short, open, trees, etc.
LOTS of shade, great for summer play.
Easy to navigate.
Beautiful
Cons: Call your shots, a few holes start nearly where the last ends and you can't always see the people because of the trees. It's a very popular park, there were tons of people playing when we were there.
Other Thoughts: We were on a road trip from Texas and needed some time out of the car so we found the closest course, it was amazing!

1    12/13/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: gaerith2
Pros: - Well defined fairways.
- Good mix of hyzer/anhyzer tee shots.
- Next tees easy to find.
- Every shot needed to play it well.
- Mostly secluded.
- Multiple pin locations.
Cons: - Old baskets that have those shallow baskets so puts can fall out easier.
- No real ace runs to speak of.
Other Thoughts: I played this course today and had a blast. If you are a RHBH thrower you better enjoy throwing anhyzers off of the tee like I do because this course has a lot of them. The only courses I have played that I have given a 5 rating are all 3 courses at IDGC, Renny Gold and Idlewild.

One of my favorite courses

5+    8/27/2012   8/28/2012
Review By: nashvilleguy99
Pros: This course is amazing lots of trees but lots of shade the course is great for beginners to learn tricky shots and to shoot around or through obstacles every hole has a bench pretty much with trashcans everyone that plays out there are like family and the course is there home they clean it and take care of it so please dont litter and steal anymore of our baskets but this course is well maintained very nice highly reccomend it
Cons: Very long course but once u get use to it it doesnt even matter. Some holes are very hard so beginners will get frustrated. other than that nothing i can think of..
Other Thoughts: This is an awesome course 4 out of 5 here so get out there and play

7th Heaven . . . the disc golf not the crappy somehwhat religious tv show

1    1/29/2012   2/7/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, distance, map and next tees indicated.

2) Mach baskets with number plates facing the tees are always helpful to the travelling disc golfer like myself.

3) Benches in many places on this course for you to sit . . . a welcome thing to see on a really busy course.

4) Mulch and stone was used well to keep mud from being prevalent in tee and green areas and high traffic fairways.

5) Timbers and logs were used to create level areas through many of the wooded holes. These areas were filled and leveled with mulch also.

6) An interesting feature on this course was the limestone on #15. I did not expect to see that on this course.

7) Logs were used to line fairways in many places which again helps define fairways for the travelling disc golfer.

8) Challenge is high on this course with all of the tight wooded fairways. I always prefer to be challenged as opposed to just dominating a wide open easy course.

9) There are a good number of different and unique holes out here which keeps this course fun. You really do not play any holes that feel like other holes on this entire property.

10) Nice use of elevation . . . including in the woods. Although subtle change is all that is present it definitely affects the throws.

11) Large industrial wire spools perfect for resting your bag on them while you sit on the bench as intended.

12) There is a sign at the kiosk that says all of the course maintenance is done by the local club . . . which means they have done a tremendous amount of volunteer work. That course is clean, well landscaped, plenty of the special things that make it cool, and the amenities to make it comfortable feeling.

13) The locals were very helpful and very inviting to join the leagues . . . I think they thought we were locals but two of the groups let us play through because we were so much faster . . . I think it helped that I parked one of the harder holes right behind them so they thought I was a great player.

14) Multiple pin positions on most if not all holes. Makes for a different course all the time which is awesome for the local players.

15) The creek running through the course comes into play a couple times. Hole #14, Hole #17 and Hole #18. . .while not a terrible obstacle it still is a cool feature on the course.

16) Pin placement markers included here much like Cedar Hill. This is greatly appreciated by the travelling disc golfer such as myself.
Cons: 1) Dangerous areas on a couple tees like the downhill hole#6 with the next tee immediately to the left of any tee shot that cuts out too quickly. Then again on the 10th hole where the tee is on the edge of the woods and a roller or turnovers are the shots of choice on # 18 which takes the drive right over towards that tee. Hole #17 is also right alongside a tight turning fairway on #8. Be careful on those two holes too.

2) Not enough distance variation to be considered the ultimate in design in my opinion. Most holes are in the upper 100's to the middle 200's with only a couple holes lying outside that range. This is where typical par 3 disc golf began and this course has been around for over 20 years so I can understand the design, but I like to see more variation on a course.

3) VERY VERY VERY BUSY . . . normally this is good to see but not for the travelling disc golfer with a limited amount of time to stay on schedule with other activities. We got done quickly enough to still do everything but for a minute I thought we would be walking off the course at some point because we got caught in the midst of a handicap weekly I guess. This is apparently the busiest of all the local courses.

4) The baskets are pretty old and inner chains have been attached using some type of U Bolt setup. They seemed to catch find but maybe I was just on that day. I did notice some of the trays seemed to be a little shallow though, so a disc could more easily go in and come back out than some of the newer style baskets with deeper trays. Being DGA's they are also very tough to spot in a tight wooded course such as this course.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a great course. Despite its fairly short overall length it challenges throughout and that is something that stands the test of time. Designed many years ago when everything was a par 3, this would have been an extremely challenging course. There are so many chances to hit a tree and end up with a bogey or worse so when you do get a birdie you really appreciate it. I happened to birdie two pretty tough holes and I felt like saying "man am I good". The rest of the holes were typically tap in pars after decent upshots but I did make a couple bogies too.

Every city needs one of these!

1    1/27/2011   1/10/2012
Review By: ALPO
Pros: I want to give this course a 5, but I don't want to suggest this is the best course ever, just my personal favorite. I know there are courses that are better than Seven Oaks, but not in between Memphis and Nashville. Seven Oaks does more with less than any other course I've played.

For starters, all 18 holes provide a varying amount of shots, distances, tee placements and open vs. wooded fairways. Almost every hole is challenging and rewarding without being too easy or too hard. Even the courses easiest holes (the first four in my opinion) have enough character to make you love them. Unlike some more densely wooded courses, Seven Oaks typically offers multiple lines for the golfer to reach the pin, and that is what gives this course so much re-playability. Many of the wooded holes show you the line you want but if you miss it, you can fight to save par versus taking strokes (hole 15 excluded, this hole feels like it belongs on a different course in a different state! Where did the pine trees and exposed rock come from?! Not to say it is a bad hole by any means, just the black sheep here.)

Other commendables:

1) The caretakers of this course cannot be praised enough. Each hole is well kept, free of debris (unless those in front of you have ravaged it), and they keep those baskets moving around without overdoing it.

2) This course has 21 holes in a limited area. I've played 18 by myself in 45 minutes! If you like wide open courses with long hikes from pin to tee pad, then go for it. I prefer to spend more time throwing than walking.

3) For a course almost on airport property and right in the middle of a bustling city, Seven Oaks is a quaint oasis, a slice of disc golf heaven! The community here is outstanding. Weekends have high traffic but if you truly love disc golf, it is such a plus to see all the families, teens, veterans, etc. enjoying this sport. If you hate the atmosphere, come during the week, where its quiet, not busy, and you can enjoy the woods and geography, which is amazingly diverse for being in the city, probably this courses most underrated feature.
Cons: The only con is that 17's fairway slightly impedes on hole 8, which could be an issue if no one is paying attention. This is a heavily played course, traffic here still flows well and most people will let you play through. I have never had an issue and if I did that would reflect the people not the course!

Perhaps, if you only like to throw for max distance off every tee pad you wouldn't like this course, you'd be more at home at Sander's Ferry.
Other Thoughts: Seating is amazing here! There are cozy wheel-type things at every hole (seriously too afraid to ask someone what they are because I know I should know) benches, plenty of trash cans, etc. This course has it all. There is even a water hole! Actually, its just a mild stream that flows along a few holes, no fear of losing a disc. Without repeating what reviewers have already said, the layout is perfect. Starts out in the open, dives into the woods while still maintaining to provide open holes for a variance, and then you can bring it on 18 across an open hole (stay away from the dip on the right).

I'll wrap up here because I think I covered everything that makes this course great. All things considered, you could not ask for more here: it's challenging without intimidating, offers birdies that can turn into bogeys (for those yet to find their stride), great for the skilled and the rookies, and has a perfect layout to help you utilize your entire foray of shots and discs! It's a 5/5 in terms of atmosphere, maximized layout, design, location, etc. I'm awarding a 4.5 because I haven't given any course the amount of play as I've done here. I just don't think it would be fair to rank it 5/5 simply because I'm having so much damn fun with it being right down the street.

Pretty Course

1    10/14/2011   10/19/2011
Review By: keebler
Pros: 1. Very Clean and well managed
2. Easy to navigate
3. Good tee pads
4. Very challenging
Cons: 1. Crowded course
2. Lots of trees to hit
3. Only a few holes where you get to air it out.
Other Thoughts: One of the prettiest courses I've played in the past 5 years (including Austin and Denver). This course was crowded, could only imagine playing during peak times.. The holes were very challenging as much of the course is heavily wooded, yet manageable. Its one of the most well kept courses I've seen in the southeast in a long time. Definitely used every disc in my arsenal of throws to make it through the course. Very Enjoyable.

Great Course

2-4    6/4/2011   6/5/2011
Review By: K_Woodcock
Pros: Very well put together course you don't have to walk far between basket and tee box. Very densely wooded but still has open shots and sunlight. The brush to the sides is thick but not to thick to lose your disc in.
Cons: The signs are usually not up. This is the only reason this course got a 4.5 from me.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in the Nashville area for sure :)

2-4    3/16/2010   3/17/2010
Review By: peglegholly
Pros: Beautiful
Challenging
Varied holes
Alternates available
Cons: Can get a little muddy
Sometimes crowded (because this is considered the BEST course in Nashville by locals)
Hole 18 is pretty long
Other Thoughts: This a really nice course with ample seating at each pin and plenty of garbage containers throughout. I had a lot of fun at this course, and would easily say it's one of my favorites in Nashville.

Fun and technical

5+    10/5/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: dud317
Pros: Variety of holes in the open and wooded. The wooded holes are sure to provide a challenge, but you shouldn't lose a disc. Players are friendly. If you go by yourself you can usually play a couple of extra discs each throw.
Cons: Very busy so try to play in the off-peak hours. There is a guy that always hangs out at hole 11 I think. He's a nice guy trying to make a buck selling hackysacks, but when I go disc-golfing I look for privacy and solitude, not solicitation.
Other Thoughts: I recommend a good short game to get through the wooded holes as well as knowing the behavior of your discs to have a good round. If you are a beginner you may be intimidated by the more experienced players, however they were friendly to me when I first started. I just started a couple months ago and average a 70, but I recently shot an amazing 60 here the last round.