Nashville, TN
Hole I Tee

Fore !!!!

1    7/14/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: I'm a big fan of multiple pin placements, and it appears that the Nashville disc golf community is as well, because both Seven Oaks and Cedar Hill have tons of em. I've only played this course one time, so I don't know how often the pins are moved, but there's a lot of potential replay value with so many possibilities.

Teepads and signs were showing their age, but were mostly adequate. Decent variety of holes: wooded, open, longer, shorter. Never felt repetitive as if we were playing the same hole over and over.

This course had more crushed rock and mulch on fairways that any course I've ever played. I'm listing this as a "pro" not because I enjoy fairways full of gravel, but because it occurs to me that this gravel didn't make it's way into these wooded fairways by itself. Someone (probably lots of someones) had to cart every stone back into these wooded fairways, and I'm assuming the alternative would have been mud. I'd much prefer gravel/mulch fairways over mudways.
Cons: My biggest gripe by far about this course is how tightly interwoven all the holes are. There are numerous places where you could hit someone (or be hit by someone) from another tee. You have teepads in the line of fire, and fairways that "T" other fairways. I could have killed a guy on 18 that I never even saw until after I'd thrown.

Adding to the likelihood of hitting someone is the fact that there are SO MANY people playing this course. We played at 2pm on a Wednesday, in 95 degree weather, and STILL saw tons of people playing. I can only imagine what it would be like on a Saturday in the spring or fall.
Other Thoughts: The 3 extra holes were placed very strangely. They don't come at the end, like you'd expect them to. In fact, we'd never have seen them at all had we not gotten lost looking for #9's tee. We finished hole 8 and went down a path that we hoped led to 9. Well, instead, we found a tee with a sign that said "III". Ok, we thought, maybe this used to be the old hole 3 and they never updated the sign? *Shrug* So we played it, went to the next tee, and it's sign said "II". It was then that we realized that we had stumbled upon the 3 extra holes and were playing them in reverse order. We backtracked and eventually found #9s tee, but that's just really strange to stick 3 holes right in the middle of the front 9. Why not renumber the holes 1-21 and give better directions to find these extra 3 holes? Better yet, why not get rid of them entirely and use that land to space out holes 1-18 so that they are a little less cramped on top of one another?

Edit: After playing the course and writing my review, I discovered that this course has it's very own website. Click the Links/Files tab up above for the link to the website. It's fantastically done, with photos and writeups of every hole. I wish every course had something like this!

good for one play

1    7/4/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: LMeyers
Pros: lots of people playing, good tee pads, people we encountered were friendly. pretty well maintained and groomed course (appears that someone cares)
Cons: some holes poorly designed, sometimes hard to find next hole.
Other Thoughts: was fun for one time, probably wouldn't go back

1    5/14/2010   5/14/2010
Review By: Fleet
Pros: Very, vey challenging, you'll need a mixed bag of throws. Lots of alternate pin placements that routinely change. Homeless guy that looks like Willie Nelson lives around the 11th hole (no joke) and gathers lost discs. He's cool; he knows a lot about the course and will point out where to go if you're lost.
Cons: The crowds are one thing, but when groups play the course out of order it throws things way off kilter, especially around the hole 6-hole 7 area. After hole six you can either go straight to hole 7 or the first of the alternate holes. It never fails that as soon as my group finishes hole 6, this large group comes out of the woods right in front of us and to get ready to play hole 7. Often times we've had to skip the hole altogether and replay either hole 1 or 10 (next to the parking lot) to make a full 18.

Some of the regulars can be complete assholes, in part because of the problem listed above, and partly because some of them don't like it at all when you ask to play through.

Some of the tee boxes need work. All the tee signs need replacing, except maybe hole 14.

The basket for hole 13 borders on the fairway at hole 14. Errant throws from the 14 tee come down on 13 all the time.

There's a large field where hole 3, 4, 9, 10, and 18 kind of converge. 18 is supposed to be the main hole but you're right next to the 4 tee, the players at 3 are coming towards you on the left, the tee at 10 is to the right down the fairway, and guys throwing at hole 9 could possibly get in the way depending on where the pin is. More often than not there's no real danger of hitting anybody/getting hit, but it does get really congested in that field sometimes.
Other Thoughts: For as many cons as I listed, it's not a terrible course. After a while you kind of learn the ways of Seven Oaks and just deal. It's the challenge the course delivers that keeps me coming back. If it weren't as difficult as it is, I probably wouldn't go there so often.

2-4    3/16/2010   3/17/2010
Review By: peglegholly
Pros: Beautiful
Challenging
Varied holes
Alternates available
Cons: Can get a little muddy
Sometimes crowded (because this is considered the BEST course in Nashville by locals)
Hole 18 is pretty long
Other Thoughts: This a really nice course with ample seating at each pin and plenty of garbage containers throughout. I had a lot of fun at this course, and would easily say it's one of my favorites in Nashville.

Fun, but crowded

1    5/8/2009   2/9/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course has a ton of variety and balance. You'll throw all kinds of shots, over nice rolling hills in the woods and in open clearings. The course did a great job of playing in and out of the woods, and never felt repetitive or stale. There was a great balance between shots that required left or right turns, with some straight narrow fairways to navigate too.

There are concrete tees that are well worn but still serviceable. There are multiple pin positions on all the holes, with some holes having several possible settings. The signs showed distance and layout, and had a nice set up to show what the current placement was so that you didn't have to walk the holes just to see where the in was.

The different pin placements looked like they would really change things up and make the course play very different. The setting when I played was a nice balance of longer and shorter placements, and kept the left/right holes pretty even. I don't know how often this changes or whether it's always in such a nice balanced layout, but it certainly was well-done when I played.

The local players clearly love and take care of this course, and the ones we met and played with were friendly and helpful.
Cons: The course was quite crowded when we played, with several large groups slowing things down even more. We ended up waiting on every tee, which made for a very long round.

The tees aren't in great shape, many were cracked, sloping, and worn very slick with use. There were also some where erosion had made drop-offs around the edge of the concrete making for poor footing on run-ups and follow-throughs.

This course is showing its age a bit. The baskets and tees are very well used, and are starting to break down a little. There is pretty significant erosion in many places on the course, especially in the wooded holes which made for poor drainage and lots of mud and standing water even a few days after rain.

The extra 3 holes were a fun addition, but were tricky to find. It would have been nice to have a little better signage explaining the course layout and the optional extra loop.
Other Thoughts: This is a great older course that is still challenging and fun even with newer disc technology. There are lots of holes that reward great shots and punish bad ones, without being a disc-eater. I would definitely stop by this course for a fun round if you're in the area.

Newer players might find this course tough and a little frustrating, though it's not too terribly long. More experienced players will find a variety of challenges here, and will need lots of different shots to score well.

Early Wood

1    12/15/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: lschrock
Pros: Nice, controlled drives are the key to this oak forest. I played the majority of the course with a roc, with the exception of a couple of holes. Lots of trees, with most of the fairways having really defined lines. There are a couple that you throw, and just close your eyes and hope for the best. Pretty clean course for the most part. In a park right outside a nice little neighborhood, the course is pretty isolated. I don't foresee a lot of interference with joggers or bikers, either. This park doesn't share its disc space. Decent elevation change, and a good variety of shots. This course provides a lot of ace runs too, as long as you don't hit a tree.
Cons: No really long drives, though it could be the pin placements on the day that I played. The guys that I played with said that this course gets really packed most of the time. I guess I played at a good time. Course holds a lot of water, and it had just rained. A lot of holes in the 200-300 range, so the course is almost a midrange course exclusively.
Other Thoughts: Great course overall. Recommend a play or two, as long as you skip the peak play hours.

Oldie But Goodie

1    10/10/2009   10/20/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros: 21 holes, multiple pin positions with indicator of current position at tee-sign, concrete teepads, dedicated area of the park. Benches and garbage cans.
Cons: Teepads a bit short, signs well-worn - difficult to read the distance information.
Other Thoughts: A very solid course, offering a variety of hole-types - very/moderately/not wooded. A few chances to bomb away, but there is a premium on control. Moderate elevation change on a few holes, most being relatively flat. Fairly even distribution of right/left/non-turning shots needed.

Navigation: How I came across the three extra holes - after finishing #8 in the short/right position, there is a path to the left, which will take you to tee #9, a basket in front of you, labelled with an "X" (and some distance behind it you may see another basket, which is "II"), and to the right a path which will take you to the tee for number "III". Play "III" first, take the path to the back/left of basket-III to find the tee for number "I". After playing I", the tee for "II" is easy to find, then after playing it, simply return to the "X" basket, and take the path, now to your right, to the 9th tee. To find tee #15, turn left after crossing the mini-bridge (the easily visible tee to your right is #16), walk down the meadow a bit, then take a path to the right to find tee #15.

Favourite hole(s): 14-16 form a nice combination. #14 is a long, gentle downhill with a line of tree to the left and scattered trees in front of you as you approach the basket. #15 is a long, gentle uphill with brush then trees narrowing the approach over very rocky terrain. #16 is long and flat down the course of a meadow, trees/brush on both sides, with the shallowest of creeks also running along the right side. The right-side pin position across the creek with the woods behind is classic.
Least favourite hole(s): 5-8 for a borderline pinball combo that will make you pay for any inaccuracy!

Very convenient to the airport - only about a five minute drive away. Certainly worth a visit if in the area.

Fun and technical

5+    10/5/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: dud317
Pros: Variety of holes in the open and wooded. The wooded holes are sure to provide a challenge, but you shouldn't lose a disc. Players are friendly. If you go by yourself you can usually play a couple of extra discs each throw.
Cons: Very busy so try to play in the off-peak hours. There is a guy that always hangs out at hole 11 I think. He's a nice guy trying to make a buck selling hackysacks, but when I go disc-golfing I look for privacy and solitude, not solicitation.
Other Thoughts: I recommend a good short game to get through the wooded holes as well as knowing the behavior of your discs to have a good round. If you are a beginner you may be intimidated by the more experienced players, however they were friendly to me when I first started. I just started a couple months ago and average a 70, but I recently shot an amazing 60 here the last round.

Good time

1    9/27/2009   9/28/2009
Review By: RollinAbsher
Pros: well taken care of, u can tell its old but nothing really wrong with the course. there were actually people there cleaning trash and brush while we were there. there is a good amount off all shots for everyone, turn overs, heizers, flicks, straight shots gaps open fields it has it all.
Cons: only thing bad about this course is there are about 3 different pin locations for each hole and sometimes you have to walk out and look at the basket to tell where to shoot. other then that there is nothing bad i can say about this course

5+    9/8/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: trippin4knuggs
Pros: Wooded but not loaded with trees and brush.
Cons: Can really add up a score with bad hole.
Other Thoughts: Look for a hippie on the back nine as you enter the woods... chances are if you lost a disc he'll find it for some beer.