Nashville, TN
Seven Oaks Park Share

Quintessential Course

5+    1/11/2013   1/11/2013
Review By: WillAnderson
Pros: Well done in the heart of Nashville, 7Oaks provides a great environment for all levels & styles. Elevation changes & tunnel fairways keep everyone honest. The signage is clear, & multiple basket positions keep each hole fresh throughout the year. Bridges across water & drainage ditches are in good shape, and each hole features erosion control (mulch, railroad ties, logs, rocks, etc) that keep its heavily trafficked areas clean & navigable. The holes mix well too, giving up birdies only to great shots on most holes but not punishing the heck out of badly placed drives. Many of the holes are completely mulched on fairways, and even if you land in the rough with a tough out, it isn't so bad to find a line because the roughs aren't thick with brush (mostly.) All around fantastic course. I'd give it a higher rating if it had more character (water holes, hills, or cool rest spots.) The length & design of the course puts it on the same level as the best I've played.
Cons: The traffic can be annoying, but who's in a hurry anyway? I don't mind because I play for exercise & relaxation anyway. Some of the holes lack signage to next tee & cross over other holes, but hey, meet someone new & ask for direction?
Other Thoughts: Feel free to bring the whole family or a dog if you'd prefer. The hills are moderate & every hole gets plenty of attention from the parks system & community. I'd love to have it as a home course!

1    12/13/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: gaerith2
Pros: - Well defined fairways.
- Good mix of hyzer/anhyzer tee shots.
- Next tees easy to find.
- Every shot needed to play it well.
- Mostly secluded.
- Multiple pin locations.
Cons: - Old baskets that have those shallow baskets so puts can fall out easier.
- No real ace runs to speak of.
Other Thoughts: I played this course today and had a blast. If you are a RHBH thrower you better enjoy throwing anhyzers off of the tee like I do because this course has a lot of them. The only courses I have played that I have given a 5 rating are all 3 courses at IDGC, Renny Gold and Idlewild.

Popular for a Reason

2-4    10/9/2012   11/16/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: 18 (or 21) hole course in a wooded park right near the airport. I'm not a local, but get the impression that this course is very popular and can get very crowded.
- Located in a nice multi-use park, so plenty of parking, but the open part of the course is kind of in its own section and there's really nothing else going on in the wooded part
- Overall is a fairly short course, but has a nice variety - some open holes across the grassy fields (but nice use of the few trees and terrain for added difficulty), but mostly tighter technical holes amidst the trees
- Can play the 18 hole loop, or add in the 3-hole "inner course" (in between holes 6 and 7 I think?) that starts right next to basket 6 and ends at tee 7 for an added bonus
- Multiple basket positions that create variety if you play a lot (and the different positions are not just different hole legnths of the same line/route)
- Concrete tee pads on all holes that are in pretty good shape
- Tee signs with washer system to indicate basket location - plexiglass covered on the main 18 - cool looking carved wood on the inner course
- Most holes (if not all - can't remember) have seating with overturned cable reels to act as tables
- "Next tee" signs on most baskets, I think
- This course has a lot of trees that really force you to be precise with your lines - very rewarding when you hit a nice long drive or fairway shot
- Good use of elevation where available and good mix of left and right basket locations
- Many of the wooded fairways with elevation changes are not just slopes - there are logs/boards buried into the dirt to create tiers/steps for easier walking and throwing base
- Devoted locals to change pin positions and bring gravel or wood chips out into the woods to help with erosion and to avoid it from getting too muddy - no trash that I saw
- I love the holes that are a nice unimpeded tunnel, but with trees lining the sides (#12-16 I think are like this) - #15 with the exposed rock ground like a dried up river bed is awesome looking
- Water not really in play - small, shallow creek nearby on a couple holes - either crossing right in front of the tee or running along side the fairway
Cons: - Some of the tee signs are pretty worn down, rusted or busted, making it tough to see where some of the baskets are located on the hole map - tough on out-of-towners who don't play regularly
- I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled by the nice course maps at the courses near me, but this is one of many courses that doesn't have an overall course map (at the course or online) - this really should be a must on any top course, especially when there is a bulletin board/kiosk already there (such as at Seven Oaks)
- Tee pad #6 (I think) is sloped downward with a dropoff at the end - I had to be pretty catious teeing off there
- A few fairways are "poke and hope" - while I have no problem with wooded courses/holes, a few of them here really didn't seem to offer any consistent, realistic lines - your best shot can get knocked down when the openings aren't much bigger than your disc
- A few holes run a bit close to each other hard fades on hole #6 can probably scare those teeing off of #7 - holes #8 and #17 are kind of close, too - kind of a collision of holes 3, 4, 10 and 18 in a field where errant throws could be trouble
- I think one of the inner course holes has an extra basket on it or something? I remember being confused coming across an extra one
- Baskets really blend into the wooded background - no flags or colors
- A couple of the washers for basket position were in the wrong spot
Other Thoughts: - Port-a-john and some garbage cans
- Basket #18 doesn't put you right back at the parking lot, but it's not too long of a walk
- I heard that a homeless guy lives near one of the tees

Overall, it's easy to see why this course is so popular in an area with a bunch of good courses. This one will really challenge your precision, but still offers a bunch of fun holes and lines. It's a must stop every time I'm in Nashville.

One of my favorite courses

5+    8/27/2012   8/28/2012
Review By: nashvilleguy99
Pros: This course is amazing lots of trees but lots of shade the course is great for beginners to learn tricky shots and to shoot around or through obstacles every hole has a bench pretty much with trashcans everyone that plays out there are like family and the course is there home they clean it and take care of it so please dont litter and steal anymore of our baskets but this course is well maintained very nice highly reccomend it
Cons: Very long course but once u get use to it it doesnt even matter. Some holes are very hard so beginners will get frustrated. other than that nothing i can think of..
Other Thoughts: This is an awesome course 4 out of 5 here so get out there and play

Awesome Course

1    5/22/2011   8/10/2012
Review By: Shogun
Pros: This course is an awesome technical course. I found the narrow paths through the trees challenging yet rewarding if you pulled the right shot. Coming from CO, it took some time to get the altitude difference down, but beyond that the course offers tons of chances to bomb long drives and pull clutch putts between the trees.
Cons: Cicada Season!! UGH!! I hit the course in 2011 and we needed ear plugs LMAO.
Other Thoughts: I'd play there again as long as cicadas arent involved.

Good Ol Seven Oaks

1    7/14/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: PHARP
Pros: Great course. Has a variety of holes with slight elevation changes, narrow fairways, wide open holes, and very wooded. The course is very well kept up by local volunteers. You may even spot pro Will Shusterick playing here.
Cons: The holes are moved around alot, which in most cases is a pro, but the signage does not always show an accurate placement of the basket. There is a clint tournament held by locals that is played every Saturday when we play that starts around 10AM, which can really crowd the course really quickly.
Other Thoughts: Love the course. Play it weekly with a group of guys from work. Even though we play weekly, it still challenges us. Will always be near to my heart.

Challenging, Tight

1    6/9/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: This course has many vary good holes that are unique and very playable.
Cons: A few of the holes are too tight for my liking. I like to see the disc fly with unbridled enthusiasm, or something like that. Tunnel holes are not as cool.
Other Thoughts: If this course was in my neighborhood I would play it, but it's not among the most enjoyable courses I have played.

Frickin' Sweet

1    5/3/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: etaylor777
Pros: This course was pretty awesome. I had just played Sharp Springs in Smyrna prior and LOVED it. So I was surprised when this one blew my mind as well. Granted, I still like Sharp Springs better, this is a solid 4star course. It had plenty of risk shots. Great layout. Not much walking from basket to tee. I had an amazing time. Good Discin'.
Cons: Not many cons. A couple of tee's were close to prior baskets and you had to stay alert not to get hit, but not that big of a deal. A couple of holes through across or near a different holes green area. Other than that...4 Star!!!!!!!

5+    3/3/2012   3/5/2012
Review By: entangled
Pros: Very fun run in the woods for the most part.
Get to use a lot of shots. Shady in the hot summer. Beautiful park. Pretty easy to find the way around for the out of towner. Except for a couple of spots and the famous "innercourse" that you might find.
Cons: Crowded, but that means it's good right. At least it's just disc golfers that crowd it up though.
Don't get to rip it very much. Dreaded needle threading shots that can be frustrating.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play on a trip to TN in my opinion, it's one of the best around here.
Be prepared for a excercise in patience and restraint.

Why is this Nashvilles "most popular course"

2-4    6/19/2011   2/7/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: Seven Oaks is one of the most popular courses in Nasvhille. If you don't agree with that compare the number of golfers that play it any given week to any of the other courses around. The park itself is on a great piece of land and the course weaves through some dense woods providing a few picturesque views.

Tee pads are very quality. Most pretty flush to the ground, large enough for good run-ups.

Tee signs are on point providing pretty accurate distances and pointing you in the right direction for the next tee.

Because of the high volume its nearly impossible to get lost because someone is there who you can follow or point you in the right direction.

You will need every shot in the bag to shoot well here as sidearms, backhands, hyzers, and anzyhers are all required even for a relatively short course.

Multiple pin placements add to the variety of the course. Assuming the pins change often (I don't play the course on a regular enough basis to appreciate it) this would make it a great way to stay interested in playing the same course multiple times, especially one that does not rely heavily on distance.
Cons: As I've stated in many of my other reviews I have certain things I look for in "woods" courses and while Seven Oaks is really more of a mixed course than a wooded one there are enough wooded holes that they deserve mention. One of the big no-nos in my opinion of wooded courses are "wtf" fairways and greens. By that I mean fairways with no "true" fairway or one that takes too much imagination and local player ingenuity to figure out. While I have no problem with an occasional tree in the middle of a fairway or around the green to "protect it" too many of the holes here are littered with these trees making what should be a good shot rely too heavily on luck over skill. Hole 6 comes into mind. During my last time playing I took an Element, picked a tree a few yards off the tee to aim at and threw. I parked the pin, but it was based off pure luck because there was no way to account for how I missed the multitude of trees which jumped out of my discs way. When I played the course nearly 6-7 years ago I had exactly the same result and I can promise you I was no were near the level of player am today as I was then.

As others have alluded to both a pro and con of this course is its popularity. If, like myself, you're a frequent solo player you'll find yourself playing through at least 6 or 7 groups during your round. Its great that so many locals love this course, but it can make for a slightly frustrating round.

No distance required. This is a very short technical course. Only 1 or 2 holes require a driver off the tee pad, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but for me is something that knocks a course down a peg.
Other Thoughts: Because of the numbers of players who play here as well as given the other great courses around I do not play this course often. I remember playing this course several years ago after a round at Cedar hill, back before I had the distance or skill I have now and comparatively thinking the same thing then as I do now. Seven Oaks seemed as though it required too much luck, even though it is far shorter. I prefer courses that minimize luck and reward skill. With that said, this IS the most popular course around and they have multiple local events weekly. Though I cannot necessarily agree with the high rating this course has received I can understand why it has such a strong appeal.