Nashville, TN
Seven Oaks Park Share

Popular for a Reason

2-4    10/9/2012   11/16/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: 18 (or 21) hole course in a wooded park right near the airport. I'm not a local, but get the impression that this course is very popular and can get very crowded.
- Located in a nice multi-use park, so plenty of parking, but the open part of the course is kind of in its own section and there's really nothing else going on in the wooded part
- Overall is a fairly short course, but has a nice variety - some open holes across the grassy fields (but nice use of the few trees and terrain for added difficulty), but mostly tighter technical holes amidst the trees
- Can play the 18 hole loop, or add in the 3-hole "inner course" (in between holes 6 and 7 I think?) that starts right next to basket 6 and ends at tee 7 for an added bonus
- Multiple basket positions that create variety if you play a lot (and the different positions are not just different hole legnths of the same line/route)
- Concrete tee pads on all holes that are in pretty good shape
- Tee signs with washer system to indicate basket location - plexiglass covered on the main 18 - cool looking carved wood on the inner course
- Most holes (if not all - can't remember) have seating with overturned cable reels to act as tables
- "Next tee" signs on most baskets, I think
- This course has a lot of trees that really force you to be precise with your lines - very rewarding when you hit a nice long drive or fairway shot
- Good use of elevation where available and good mix of left and right basket locations
- Many of the wooded fairways with elevation changes are not just slopes - there are logs/boards buried into the dirt to create tiers/steps for easier walking and throwing base
- Devoted locals to change pin positions and bring gravel or wood chips out into the woods to help with erosion and to avoid it from getting too muddy - no trash that I saw
- I love the holes that are a nice unimpeded tunnel, but with trees lining the sides (#12-16 I think are like this) - #15 with the exposed rock ground like a dried up river bed is awesome looking
- Water not really in play - small, shallow creek nearby on a couple holes - either crossing right in front of the tee or running along side the fairway
Cons: - Some of the tee signs are pretty worn down, rusted or busted, making it tough to see where some of the baskets are located on the hole map - tough on out-of-towners who don't play regularly
- I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled by the nice course maps at the courses near me, but this is one of many courses that doesn't have an overall course map (at the course or online) - this really should be a must on any top course, especially when there is a bulletin board/kiosk already there (such as at Seven Oaks)
- Tee pad #6 (I think) is sloped downward with a dropoff at the end - I had to be pretty catious teeing off there
- A few fairways are "poke and hope" - while I have no problem with wooded courses/holes, a few of them here really didn't seem to offer any consistent, realistic lines - your best shot can get knocked down when the openings aren't much bigger than your disc
- A few holes run a bit close to each other hard fades on hole #6 can probably scare those teeing off of #7 - holes #8 and #17 are kind of close, too - kind of a collision of holes 3, 4, 10 and 18 in a field where errant throws could be trouble
- I think one of the inner course holes has an extra basket on it or something? I remember being confused coming across an extra one
- Baskets really blend into the wooded background - no flags or colors
- A couple of the washers for basket position were in the wrong spot
Other Thoughts: - Port-a-john and some garbage cans
- Basket #18 doesn't put you right back at the parking lot, but it's not too long of a walk
- I heard that a homeless guy lives near one of the tees

Overall, it's easy to see why this course is so popular in an area with a bunch of good courses. This one will really challenge your precision, but still offers a bunch of fun holes and lines. It's a must stop every time I'm in Nashville.

One of my favorite courses

5+    8/27/2012   8/28/2012
Review By: nashvilleguy99
Pros: This course is amazing lots of trees but lots of shade the course is great for beginners to learn tricky shots and to shoot around or through obstacles every hole has a bench pretty much with trashcans everyone that plays out there are like family and the course is there home they clean it and take care of it so please dont litter and steal anymore of our baskets but this course is well maintained very nice highly reccomend it
Cons: Very long course but once u get use to it it doesnt even matter. Some holes are very hard so beginners will get frustrated. other than that nothing i can think of..
Other Thoughts: This is an awesome course 4 out of 5 here so get out there and play

Awesome Course

1    5/22/2011   8/10/2012
Review By: Shogun
Pros: This course is an awesome technical course. I found the narrow paths through the trees challenging yet rewarding if you pulled the right shot. Coming from CO, it took some time to get the altitude difference down, but beyond that the course offers tons of chances to bomb long drives and pull clutch putts between the trees.
Cons: Cicada Season!! UGH!! I hit the course in 2011 and we needed ear plugs LMAO.
Other Thoughts: I'd play there again as long as cicadas arent involved.

Good Ol Seven Oaks

1    7/14/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: PHARP
Pros: Great course. Has a variety of holes with slight elevation changes, narrow fairways, wide open holes, and very wooded. The course is very well kept up by local volunteers. You may even spot pro Will Shusterick playing here.
Cons: The holes are moved around alot, which in most cases is a pro, but the signage does not always show an accurate placement of the basket. There is a clint tournament held by locals that is played every Saturday when we play that starts around 10AM, which can really crowd the course really quickly.
Other Thoughts: Love the course. Play it weekly with a group of guys from work. Even though we play weekly, it still challenges us. Will always be near to my heart.

Challenging, Tight

1    6/9/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: This course has many vary good holes that are unique and very playable.
Cons: A few of the holes are too tight for my liking. I like to see the disc fly with unbridled enthusiasm, or something like that. Tunnel holes are not as cool.
Other Thoughts: If this course was in my neighborhood I would play it, but it's not among the most enjoyable courses I have played.

Frickin' Sweet

1    5/3/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: etaylor777
Pros: This course was pretty awesome. I had just played Sharp Springs in Smyrna prior and LOVED it. So I was surprised when this one blew my mind as well. Granted, I still like Sharp Springs better, this is a solid 4star course. It had plenty of risk shots. Great layout. Not much walking from basket to tee. I had an amazing time. Good Discin'.
Cons: Not many cons. A couple of tee's were close to prior baskets and you had to stay alert not to get hit, but not that big of a deal. A couple of holes through across or near a different holes green area. Other than that...4 Star!!!!!!!

5+    3/3/2012   3/5/2012
Review By: entangled
Pros: Very fun run in the woods for the most part.
Get to use a lot of shots. Shady in the hot summer. Beautiful park. Pretty easy to find the way around for the out of towner. Except for a couple of spots and the famous "innercourse" that you might find.
Cons: Crowded, but that means it's good right. At least it's just disc golfers that crowd it up though.
Don't get to rip it very much. Dreaded needle threading shots that can be frustrating.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play on a trip to TN in my opinion, it's one of the best around here.
Be prepared for a excercise in patience and restraint.

Why is this Nashvilles "most popular course"

2-4    6/19/2011   2/7/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: Seven Oaks is one of the most popular courses in Nasvhille. If you don't agree with that compare the number of golfers that play it any given week to any of the other courses around. The park itself is on a great piece of land and the course weaves through some dense woods providing a few picturesque views.

Tee pads are very quality. Most pretty flush to the ground, large enough for good run-ups.

Tee signs are on point providing pretty accurate distances and pointing you in the right direction for the next tee.

Because of the high volume its nearly impossible to get lost because someone is there who you can follow or point you in the right direction.

You will need every shot in the bag to shoot well here as sidearms, backhands, hyzers, and anzyhers are all required even for a relatively short course.

Multiple pin placements add to the variety of the course. Assuming the pins change often (I don't play the course on a regular enough basis to appreciate it) this would make it a great way to stay interested in playing the same course multiple times, especially one that does not rely heavily on distance.
Cons: As I've stated in many of my other reviews I have certain things I look for in "woods" courses and while Seven Oaks is really more of a mixed course than a wooded one there are enough wooded holes that they deserve mention. One of the big no-nos in my opinion of wooded courses are "wtf" fairways and greens. By that I mean fairways with no "true" fairway or one that takes too much imagination and local player ingenuity to figure out. While I have no problem with an occasional tree in the middle of a fairway or around the green to "protect it" too many of the holes here are littered with these trees making what should be a good shot rely too heavily on luck over skill. Hole 6 comes into mind. During my last time playing I took an Element, picked a tree a few yards off the tee to aim at and threw. I parked the pin, but it was based off pure luck because there was no way to account for how I missed the multitude of trees which jumped out of my discs way. When I played the course nearly 6-7 years ago I had exactly the same result and I can promise you I was no were near the level of player am today as I was then.

As others have alluded to both a pro and con of this course is its popularity. If, like myself, you're a frequent solo player you'll find yourself playing through at least 6 or 7 groups during your round. Its great that so many locals love this course, but it can make for a slightly frustrating round.

No distance required. This is a very short technical course. Only 1 or 2 holes require a driver off the tee pad, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but for me is something that knocks a course down a peg.
Other Thoughts: Because of the numbers of players who play here as well as given the other great courses around I do not play this course often. I remember playing this course several years ago after a round at Cedar hill, back before I had the distance or skill I have now and comparatively thinking the same thing then as I do now. Seven Oaks seemed as though it required too much luck, even though it is far shorter. I prefer courses that minimize luck and reward skill. With that said, this IS the most popular course around and they have multiple local events weekly. Though I cannot necessarily agree with the high rating this course has received I can understand why it has such a strong appeal.

7th Heaven . . . the disc golf not the crappy somehwhat religious tv show

1    1/29/2012   2/7/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, distance, map and next tees indicated.

2) Mach baskets with number plates facing the tees are always helpful to the travelling disc golfer like myself.

3) Benches in many places on this course for you to sit . . . a welcome thing to see on a really busy course.

4) Mulch and stone was used well to keep mud from being prevalent in tee and green areas and high traffic fairways.

5) Timbers and logs were used to create level areas through many of the wooded holes. These areas were filled and leveled with mulch also.

6) An interesting feature on this course was the limestone on #15. I did not expect to see that on this course.

7) Logs were used to line fairways in many places which again helps define fairways for the travelling disc golfer.

8) Challenge is high on this course with all of the tight wooded fairways. I always prefer to be challenged as opposed to just dominating a wide open easy course.

9) There are a good number of different and unique holes out here which keeps this course fun. You really do not play any holes that feel like other holes on this entire property.

10) Nice use of elevation . . . including in the woods. Although subtle change is all that is present it definitely affects the throws.

11) Large industrial wire spools perfect for resting your bag on them while you sit on the bench as intended.

12) There is a sign at the kiosk that says all of the course maintenance is done by the local club . . . which means they have done a tremendous amount of volunteer work. That course is clean, well landscaped, plenty of the special things that make it cool, and the amenities to make it comfortable feeling.

13) The locals were very helpful and very inviting to join the leagues . . . I think they thought we were locals but two of the groups let us play through because we were so much faster . . . I think it helped that I parked one of the harder holes right behind them so they thought I was a great player.

14) Multiple pin positions on most if not all holes. Makes for a different course all the time which is awesome for the local players.

15) The creek running through the course comes into play a couple times. Hole #14, Hole #17 and Hole #18. . .while not a terrible obstacle it still is a cool feature on the course.

16) Pin placement markers included here much like Cedar Hill. This is greatly appreciated by the travelling disc golfer such as myself.
Cons: 1) Dangerous areas on a couple tees like the downhill hole#6 with the next tee immediately to the left of any tee shot that cuts out too quickly. Then again on the 10th hole where the tee is on the edge of the woods and a roller or turnovers are the shots of choice on # 18 which takes the drive right over towards that tee. Hole #17 is also right alongside a tight turning fairway on #8. Be careful on those two holes too.

2) Not enough distance variation to be considered the ultimate in design in my opinion. Most holes are in the upper 100's to the middle 200's with only a couple holes lying outside that range. This is where typical par 3 disc golf began and this course has been around for over 20 years so I can understand the design, but I like to see more variation on a course.

3) VERY VERY VERY BUSY . . . normally this is good to see but not for the travelling disc golfer with a limited amount of time to stay on schedule with other activities. We got done quickly enough to still do everything but for a minute I thought we would be walking off the course at some point because we got caught in the midst of a handicap weekly I guess. This is apparently the busiest of all the local courses.

4) The baskets are pretty old and inner chains have been attached using some type of U Bolt setup. They seemed to catch find but maybe I was just on that day. I did notice some of the trays seemed to be a little shallow though, so a disc could more easily go in and come back out than some of the newer style baskets with deeper trays. Being DGA's they are also very tough to spot in a tight wooded course such as this course.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a great course. Despite its fairly short overall length it challenges throughout and that is something that stands the test of time. Designed many years ago when everything was a par 3, this would have been an extremely challenging course. There are so many chances to hit a tree and end up with a bogey or worse so when you do get a birdie you really appreciate it. I happened to birdie two pretty tough holes and I felt like saying "man am I good". The rest of the holes were typically tap in pars after decent upshots but I did make a couple bogies too.

Every city needs one of these!

1    1/27/2011   1/10/2012
Review By: ALPO
Pros: I want to give this course a 5, but I don't want to suggest this is the best course ever, just my personal favorite. I know there are courses that are better than Seven Oaks, but not in between Memphis and Nashville. Seven Oaks does more with less than any other course I've played.

For starters, all 18 holes provide a varying amount of shots, distances, tee placements and open vs. wooded fairways. Almost every hole is challenging and rewarding without being too easy or too hard. Even the courses easiest holes (the first four in my opinion) have enough character to make you love them. Unlike some more densely wooded courses, Seven Oaks typically offers multiple lines for the golfer to reach the pin, and that is what gives this course so much re-playability. Many of the wooded holes show you the line you want but if you miss it, you can fight to save par versus taking strokes (hole 15 excluded, this hole feels like it belongs on a different course in a different state! Where did the pine trees and exposed rock come from?! Not to say it is a bad hole by any means, just the black sheep here.)

Other commendables:

1) The caretakers of this course cannot be praised enough. Each hole is well kept, free of debris (unless those in front of you have ravaged it), and they keep those baskets moving around without overdoing it.

2) This course has 21 holes in a limited area. I've played 18 by myself in 45 minutes! If you like wide open courses with long hikes from pin to tee pad, then go for it. I prefer to spend more time throwing than walking.

3) For a course almost on airport property and right in the middle of a bustling city, Seven Oaks is a quaint oasis, a slice of disc golf heaven! The community here is outstanding. Weekends have high traffic but if you truly love disc golf, it is such a plus to see all the families, teens, veterans, etc. enjoying this sport. If you hate the atmosphere, come during the week, where its quiet, not busy, and you can enjoy the woods and geography, which is amazingly diverse for being in the city, probably this courses most underrated feature.
Cons: The only con is that 17's fairway slightly impedes on hole 8, which could be an issue if no one is paying attention. This is a heavily played course, traffic here still flows well and most people will let you play through. I have never had an issue and if I did that would reflect the people not the course!

Perhaps, if you only like to throw for max distance off every tee pad you wouldn't like this course, you'd be more at home at Sander's Ferry.
Other Thoughts: Seating is amazing here! There are cozy wheel-type things at every hole (seriously too afraid to ask someone what they are because I know I should know) benches, plenty of trash cans, etc. This course has it all. There is even a water hole! Actually, its just a mild stream that flows along a few holes, no fear of losing a disc. Without repeating what reviewers have already said, the layout is perfect. Starts out in the open, dives into the woods while still maintaining to provide open holes for a variance, and then you can bring it on 18 across an open hole (stay away from the dip on the right).

I'll wrap up here because I think I covered everything that makes this course great. All things considered, you could not ask for more here: it's challenging without intimidating, offers birdies that can turn into bogeys (for those yet to find their stride), great for the skilled and the rookies, and has a perfect layout to help you utilize your entire foray of shots and discs! It's a 5/5 in terms of atmosphere, maximized layout, design, location, etc. I'm awarding a 4.5 because I haven't given any course the amount of play as I've done here. I just don't think it would be fair to rank it 5/5 simply because I'm having so much damn fun with it being right down the street.