Nashville, TN
Seven Oaks Park Share

5+    3/3/2012   3/5/2012
Review By: entangled
Pros: Very fun run in the woods for the most part.
Get to use a lot of shots. Shady in the hot summer. Beautiful park. Pretty easy to find the way around for the out of towner. Except for a couple of spots and the famous "innercourse" that you might find.
Cons: Crowded, but that means it's good right. At least it's just disc golfers that crowd it up though.
Don't get to rip it very much. Dreaded needle threading shots that can be frustrating.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play on a trip to TN in my opinion, it's one of the best around here.
Be prepared for a excercise in patience and restraint.

Why is this Nashvilles "most popular course"

2-4    6/19/2011   2/7/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: Seven Oaks is one of the most popular courses in Nasvhille. If you don't agree with that compare the number of golfers that play it any given week to any of the other courses around. The park itself is on a great piece of land and the course weaves through some dense woods providing a few picturesque views.

Tee pads are very quality. Most pretty flush to the ground, large enough for good run-ups.

Tee signs are on point providing pretty accurate distances and pointing you in the right direction for the next tee.

Because of the high volume its nearly impossible to get lost because someone is there who you can follow or point you in the right direction.

You will need every shot in the bag to shoot well here as sidearms, backhands, hyzers, and anzyhers are all required even for a relatively short course.

Multiple pin placements add to the variety of the course. Assuming the pins change often (I don't play the course on a regular enough basis to appreciate it) this would make it a great way to stay interested in playing the same course multiple times, especially one that does not rely heavily on distance.
Cons: As I've stated in many of my other reviews I have certain things I look for in "woods" courses and while Seven Oaks is really more of a mixed course than a wooded one there are enough wooded holes that they deserve mention. One of the big no-nos in my opinion of wooded courses are "wtf" fairways and greens. By that I mean fairways with no "true" fairway or one that takes too much imagination and local player ingenuity to figure out. While I have no problem with an occasional tree in the middle of a fairway or around the green to "protect it" too many of the holes here are littered with these trees making what should be a good shot rely too heavily on luck over skill. Hole 6 comes into mind. During my last time playing I took an Element, picked a tree a few yards off the tee to aim at and threw. I parked the pin, but it was based off pure luck because there was no way to account for how I missed the multitude of trees which jumped out of my discs way. When I played the course nearly 6-7 years ago I had exactly the same result and I can promise you I was no were near the level of player am today as I was then.

As others have alluded to both a pro and con of this course is its popularity. If, like myself, you're a frequent solo player you'll find yourself playing through at least 6 or 7 groups during your round. Its great that so many locals love this course, but it can make for a slightly frustrating round.

No distance required. This is a very short technical course. Only 1 or 2 holes require a driver off the tee pad, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but for me is something that knocks a course down a peg.
Other Thoughts: Because of the numbers of players who play here as well as given the other great courses around I do not play this course often. I remember playing this course several years ago after a round at Cedar hill, back before I had the distance or skill I have now and comparatively thinking the same thing then as I do now. Seven Oaks seemed as though it required too much luck, even though it is far shorter. I prefer courses that minimize luck and reward skill. With that said, this IS the most popular course around and they have multiple local events weekly. Though I cannot necessarily agree with the high rating this course has received I can understand why it has such a strong appeal.

7th Heaven . . . the disc golf not the crappy somehwhat religious tv show

1    1/29/2012   2/7/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, distance, map and next tees indicated.

2) Mach baskets with number plates facing the tees are always helpful to the travelling disc golfer like myself.

3) Benches in many places on this course for you to sit . . . a welcome thing to see on a really busy course.

4) Mulch and stone was used well to keep mud from being prevalent in tee and green areas and high traffic fairways.

5) Timbers and logs were used to create level areas through many of the wooded holes. These areas were filled and leveled with mulch also.

6) An interesting feature on this course was the limestone on #15. I did not expect to see that on this course.

7) Logs were used to line fairways in many places which again helps define fairways for the travelling disc golfer.

8) Challenge is high on this course with all of the tight wooded fairways. I always prefer to be challenged as opposed to just dominating a wide open easy course.

9) There are a good number of different and unique holes out here which keeps this course fun. You really do not play any holes that feel like other holes on this entire property.

10) Nice use of elevation . . . including in the woods. Although subtle change is all that is present it definitely affects the throws.

11) Large industrial wire spools perfect for resting your bag on them while you sit on the bench as intended.

12) There is a sign at the kiosk that says all of the course maintenance is done by the local club . . . which means they have done a tremendous amount of volunteer work. That course is clean, well landscaped, plenty of the special things that make it cool, and the amenities to make it comfortable feeling.

13) The locals were very helpful and very inviting to join the leagues . . . I think they thought we were locals but two of the groups let us play through because we were so much faster . . . I think it helped that I parked one of the harder holes right behind them so they thought I was a great player.

14) Multiple pin positions on most if not all holes. Makes for a different course all the time which is awesome for the local players.

15) The creek running through the course comes into play a couple times. Hole #14, Hole #17 and Hole #18. . .while not a terrible obstacle it still is a cool feature on the course.

16) Pin placement markers included here much like Cedar Hill. This is greatly appreciated by the travelling disc golfer such as myself.
Cons: 1) Dangerous areas on a couple tees like the downhill hole#6 with the next tee immediately to the left of any tee shot that cuts out too quickly. Then again on the 10th hole where the tee is on the edge of the woods and a roller or turnovers are the shots of choice on # 18 which takes the drive right over towards that tee. Hole #17 is also right alongside a tight turning fairway on #8. Be careful on those two holes too.

2) Not enough distance variation to be considered the ultimate in design in my opinion. Most holes are in the upper 100's to the middle 200's with only a couple holes lying outside that range. This is where typical par 3 disc golf began and this course has been around for over 20 years so I can understand the design, but I like to see more variation on a course.

3) VERY VERY VERY BUSY . . . normally this is good to see but not for the travelling disc golfer with a limited amount of time to stay on schedule with other activities. We got done quickly enough to still do everything but for a minute I thought we would be walking off the course at some point because we got caught in the midst of a handicap weekly I guess. This is apparently the busiest of all the local courses.

4) The baskets are pretty old and inner chains have been attached using some type of U Bolt setup. They seemed to catch find but maybe I was just on that day. I did notice some of the trays seemed to be a little shallow though, so a disc could more easily go in and come back out than some of the newer style baskets with deeper trays. Being DGA's they are also very tough to spot in a tight wooded course such as this course.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a great course. Despite its fairly short overall length it challenges throughout and that is something that stands the test of time. Designed many years ago when everything was a par 3, this would have been an extremely challenging course. There are so many chances to hit a tree and end up with a bogey or worse so when you do get a birdie you really appreciate it. I happened to birdie two pretty tough holes and I felt like saying "man am I good". The rest of the holes were typically tap in pars after decent upshots but I did make a couple bogies too.

Every city needs one of these!

1    1/27/2011   1/10/2012
Review By: ALPO
This review was updated on 2/11/2016
Pros: Seven Oaks does more with less than any other course I've played.

For starters, all 18 holes provide a varying amount of shots, distances, tee placements and open vs. wooded fairways. Almost every hole is challenging and rewarding without being too easy or too hard. Even the courses easiest holes (the first four in my opinion) have enough character to make you love them. Unlike some more densely wooded courses, Seven Oaks typically offers multiple lines for the golfer to reach the pin, and that is what gives this course so much re-playability. Many of the wooded holes show you the line you want but if you miss it, you can fight to save par versus taking strokes (hole 15 excluded, this hole feels like it belongs on a different course in a different state! Where did the pine trees and exposed rock come from?! Not to say it is a bad hole by any means, just the black sheep here.)

Other commendables:

1) The caretakers of this course cannot be praised enough. Each hole is well kept, free of debris (unless those in front of you have ravaged it), and they keep those baskets moving around without overdoing it.

2) This course has 21 holes in a limited area. I've played 18 by myself in 45 minutes! If you like wide open courses with long hikes from pin to tee pad, then go for it. I prefer to spend more time throwing than walking.

3) For a course almost on airport property and right in the middle of a bustling city, Seven Oaks is a quaint oasis, a slice of disc golf heaven! The community here is outstanding. Weekends have high traffic but if you truly love disc golf, it is such a plus to see all the families, teens, veterans, etc. enjoying this sport. If you hate the atmosphere, come during the week, where its quiet, not busy, and you can enjoy the woods and geography, which is amazingly diverse for being in the city, probably this courses most underrated feature.
Cons: The only con is that 17's fairway slightly impedes on hole 8, which could be an issue if no one is paying attention. This is a heavily played course, traffic here still flows well and most people will let you play through. I have never had an issue and if I did that would reflect the people not the course!

Perhaps, if you only like to throw for max distance off every tee pad you wouldn't like this course, you'd be more at home at Sander's Ferry.
Other Thoughts: Seating is amazing here! There are cozy wheel-type things at every hole (seriously too afraid to ask someone what they are because I know I should know) benches, plenty of trash cans, etc. This course has it all. There is even a water hole! Actually, its just a mild stream that flows along a few holes, no fear of losing a disc. Without repeating what reviewers have already said, the layout is perfect. Starts out in the open, dives into the woods while still maintaining to provide open holes for a variance, and then you can bring it on 18 across an open hole (stay away from the dip on the right).

I'll wrap up here because I think I covered everything that makes this course great. All things considered, you could not ask for more here: it's challenging without intimidating, offers birdies that can turn into bogeys (for those yet to find their stride), great for the skilled and the rookies, and has a perfect layout to help you utilize your entire foray of shots and discs! It's a 5/5 in terms of atmosphere, maximized layout, design, location, etc. I'm awarding a 4.5 because I haven't given any course the amount of play as I've done here. I just don't think it would be fair to rank it 5/5 simply because I'm having so much damn fun with it being right down the street.

Pretty Course

1    10/14/2011   10/19/2011
Review By: keebler
Pros: 1. Very Clean and well managed
2. Easy to navigate
3. Good tee pads
4. Very challenging
Cons: 1. Crowded course
2. Lots of trees to hit
3. Only a few holes where you get to air it out.
Other Thoughts: One of the prettiest courses I've played in the past 5 years (including Austin and Denver). This course was crowded, could only imagine playing during peak times.. The holes were very challenging as much of the course is heavily wooded, yet manageable. Its one of the most well kept courses I've seen in the southeast in a long time. Definitely used every disc in my arsenal of throws to make it through the course. Very Enjoyable.

A Fun Little Walk in the Woods

1    9/7/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Baskets are in good shape
Tee pads are in good shape
Benches
Trash Cans
Very well maintained course and very easy to find
Good signage
Cons:
No restrooms/water that I could find
No map that I could find either, although only an issue on a few holes
Tips
Take water and use the restroom ahead of time

Random Thoughts:
This is a loved course, and by that I mean, it's one of the cleanest, well maintained courses I've ever seen. It's conveniently located in a nice park with almost no cross traffic to speak of. As for the hole layout, there's a nice variety of shots (shapes and lengths) with some in the open, some in the trees, and some of both. I also like that this course lets you get warmed up with a couple straight-forward holes before it ratchets up the difficulty. With that said, there are some very difficult holes on this course, most of which are in the trees. These holes demand precision shots and when you're not precise, you may find getting back out on the "fairway" a challenge as well. One of the bonus holes in particular I just laughed at because I couldn't see any real shot to the basket so I just let fly and hoped for the best. It didn't end well, but no biggie. I appreciate the challenge. There's also a random basket in this area that could confuse you so be on the lookout for it. (And no, I never figured out what it was for.) I finished up my round after meeting up with a nice local, and I liked that it finishes out in the open again to give you a good shot at a nice score.

Bottom Line:
This is a course that is well worth checking out. It may not be the most scenic course, but it has a good amount of challenge without being unfair. It's beautifully maintained and the locals are friendly. All in all, a good round is yours for the taking.

1    9/28/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: eupher61
Pros: Fairly easy to navigate. Being a first-timer with no guide, I have no idea what the inner course thing is about, so I just played it straight. The course is obviously well cared for. (Great job on that, folks!) A few very nice shots, lots of trees to totally screw you over, roots to cause errant bounces or skips. Great signage, and good pin indicators.
Cons: Every hole is about the same length, it seems. The #14 complex seems fun, but also seems like they rarely open it up full length. 2 baskets on that hole, one before the secondary tee and one after, would be nice.
Other Thoughts: This is obviously a busy course--10am on a Tuesday had at least 10 groups playing, counting singles as a group. Very cool! Barfield and 7 Oaks both remind me of Cliff Drive in KC, except much shorter and much flatter Not a forgettable course by any means, but nothing truly noteworthy. I threw 58, only because of ground obstacles toying with my disc on landing. Even with all the trees I hit, I could have broken par easily. No complaints, I look forward to being down that way so I can play it again. Congrats to the (durn, I forgot the exact title on the board..) the School Rd group that maintains it. You are doing a great job!

My new favorite

1    9/26/2011   9/26/2011
Review By: hound_dog
Pros: Awesome layout. Great variety of shots needed. There are a lot of holes that play longer than those of a typical wooded course. Numerous pin placements, 5 possibilities on some holes, allow for a wide variety of layouts. The park was very quiet and peaceful. I never even noticed that there was an airport nearby.
Cons: This course would easily earn a 5 rating from me with two things. New tee pads that are not dangerously slick when wet and new baskets. Some of the baskets are bent or rusty. The tee pads have gravel poured into the concrete in such a way that it creates a very slick surface. Also a few of the tee pads slope down hill making it an awkward throw.
Other Thoughts: This course is just fantastic. It was just a great walk through the woods. The course never seemed to get old, and every hole seemed well thought out. I will return to play this one again soon.

Always a good time

5+    9/23/2011   9/23/2011
Review By: boondock339
Pros: All the signage has been updated, and it's WAY better than before. This course has a good mix of open and wooded, mainly the latter. I prefer wooded courses mainly because that's what I grew up playing on.
Cons: Sometimes the course has some drainage issues around 12 and 13.
Other Thoughts: I have seen some people talk about unsavory characters and open drug and alcohol use on this course. It is what it is. If you want a country club atmosphere go play golf.

My Favorite Course in Nashville

5+    8/8/2011   8/9/2011
Review By: Biggzipp
Pros: This really is my favorite course in Nashville. It has a great design with a wide variety of terrain and challenges for both left and right handers. The community of golfers surrounding the course keep it in good condition, and there's always several golfers playing when you show up. The landscape is diverse and inviting. Pretty nice tee pads. Multiple pin locations, and updated signs were just added. Location in the city!
Cons: Not much here, but the baskets are a bit shallow, so you might occasionally lose a putt that would stick somewhere else. Some might complain that it's too wooded, but that's part of what makes it 7 Oaks (IMO).
Other Thoughts: A really relaxing course to play since there's not much elevation change. You can play through quickly if you desire, but it's not boring or short. Might be the smartest designed course in town.