Nashville, TN
Seven Oaks Park Share

5+    8/10/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: msudog_
This review was updated on 3/17/2010
Pros: It's been about 7 months since I last reviewed the course, so I think it's time for an update.

I believe there are benches at every hole, so that gives the course a chilled persona.

The majority of the course is wooded, so it will teach you accuracy. The course calls for a good mix of backhand and forehand shots along with some elevation.

The are multiple pin placements for almost every hole, and they are moved regularly.

There is some kind of cactus that is growing on hole 15, I believe.

It seems like the course is constantly being worked on.
Cons: The two biggest cons for me are the crowds and tee pads.

It seems like every time I go there it's crowded. I think the only time you might be able to play without a crowd is a dawn. Easily the most crowded course in the Nashville area.

This is an older course that needs a lot of work. Some of the tee pads can get pretty slick, especially holes 2 and 6. Both tees are on a downward slope. I would guess the angle is around 20 degrees. Way to steep for me to use my regular drive technique.

There are some semi-open holes, but only one hole that you don't have to worry about trees. There are some tight holes, then there are some insanely tight holes, almost to the point of just random trees.

The course can get very muddy if it has rained within 2 or 3 days. The tee signs are old and are getting harder to read. The baskets are also aging.

On hole 6, one of the pin positions sits behind the bench/tee pad of hole 7. Very easy to hit someone if you are not very accurate.
Other Thoughts: This is the closest course to my home, but I usually try to go to other area courses. I'm really surprised at how crowded this course gets, because I don't consider it a beginner friendly course. You need to be accurate to do well here.

As of today, here are my Nashville area courses in rank.

1. Cedar Hill Park
2. Crockett Park
3. Liberty Park
4. Sharp Springs Park
5. Barfield Crescent Park
6. Seven Oaks Park
7. Two Rivers

I haven't played Sanders Ferry, Cedars of Lebanon, or Triple Creek.

If you want a course very beginner friendly, try Two Rivers. If you want something similar to Seven Oaks, but a little bigger, try Cedar Hill.

Very quaint DGC

1    6/26/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: This course was pretty amazing. I wasn't sure what to expect other than its reputation, "it can be pretty crowded and it is a good course". Well I'll have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, I really liked this course a lot. After I played a few holes I discovered that this course has a real nostalgia to it. It almost felt as if it had some ancestral importance, like going to an old historic house or something. I really enjoyed the ambiance.

The course itself has most certainly been around for a while and has been broken in quite well. The first few holes play fairly open and the forth seems to tip toe into the woods beautify. That's where you begin to see some of the nicest wooded holes around. It has some very scenic fairways as you meander through the woods and you'll get a great shot variety. There is also a pretty good fluctuation in lengths as well. They vary from the low 200' to mid 400' foot range. The shorter holes sometimes require a little more accuracy than the longer holes but all in all almost every hole presents some sort of challenge and should be enjoyed by players of all skill levels. There are also multiple pin positions to keep things mixed up. If moved often enough they should keep even the locals on there toes and help keep the course diversified enough to battle becoming bored with the same old layout. It should also be noted that there are also three additional holes that supplement the main eighteen on the course as well. (I did not play them). The course makes pretty good sense and following the layout is fairly easy. In the end I liked the way that number eighteen punches out of the woods and brings you to the pin near a creek bank and trail that conveniently brings you right back up to the parking lot.

You should also enjoy the bonus of concrete tee pads, signs with distances and pin position indications, and benches. Speaking of benches, there is some really unique custom built seats scattered around and they sort of add to the "vibe" of the course. Additionally, it's absolutely amazing to see the amount of work that has been contributed to this course. You have to see it for yourself. People have dragged in cross ties, iron fences, split rail fences, gravel, mulch, etc. Overall it has really given this course a personality of its own.

This course is in its own area without any other park interferences. It has its own parking lot with a port-a-john and a nice kiosk with plenty of disc golf info.
Cons: Being an older course you can expect a couple of cons. First of all the pins are pretty old. I couldn't help notice that the baskets themselves are really shallow compared to some of the modern baskets. Also the concrete pads are pretty worn but they are quite manageable. The signs are in pretty bad shape. Some of them are almost unreadable and seemed to be inaccurate as far as distances are concerned. Some of the pin position indicators were also in the wrong place.

Fortunately I played here on an early weekday and only saw a few other players. I understand that during peak times this course is over crowded. I have talked to a couple of people who have said that the crowds can be frustrating enough to detour them from playing this course at these times. If you are planning on playing here you may want to plan accordingly.
Other Thoughts: At times the phrase "must play" can be overused. This is certainly not the case here. If you are in the Nashville area, you should come and see for yourself. I really don't believe anyone would be disappointed after playing this course. It really is a one of a kind. Enjoy!

If you like wooded courses....

2-4    6/23/2005   6/23/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Course mixes some "in the woods" holes, very tight with lots of trees to work around, with some "defined fairway" holes, grassy, fairly narrow, open fairways with thick woods on the sides. Plenty of technical drives & upshots. A handful of semi-open shots where you can use a little distance.

A pretty area, well-kept, and exclusively disc-golf.

Convenient for the passing travelers, just off a beltway-type highway and not far from interstates.
Cons: Some of the tight, "in the woods" holes border on being "luck" holes, with either very tight lines to hit or many trees down fairway where you just hope to fly between them.
Other Thoughts: Played several rounds at 2001 Am Worlds, and a few times since then while traveling through Nashville. I prefer Cedar Hill, but both are fine.

the heavens blessed this course

1    5/30/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: ChronoDisc
Pros: absolutaly the best i have played. there is not much bad about this course. beautiful area and very very well maintained. very wide variety of holes. you rarely have to throw the same type of throw. there are steps to get you down the rocky or hilly areas. there are seats at almost every tee...(i never thought a stump would be so comfy lol)
generally a relaxing area and just overall an awesome place.
Cons: we got a little turned around near the optional holes but once we figured out where we were we thought it was amazing to have 3 extra holes just for fun. i think some of the pars are slightly insane. you have to have a cannon for an arm to get a 450ft hole in 4 shots. or maybe im just weak.... not sure yet.
Other Thoughts: this course is worth the trip from any point in tennessee. absolutaly amazing course.

WICKED GOOD TIME

1    5/10/2008   5/5/2009
Review By: xfourevertruex
Pros: This course is awesome. super varied holes. Super beautifully maintained park/course, super great location. GREAT GREAT GREAT
Cons: I have absolutely no negative remarks about this course.
Other Thoughts: If you live ANYWHERE in this area and haven't played this course........you're missing out on something real special. Enough said.

Course Update

1    4/30/2009   5/1/2009
Review By: dgdoctor
Pros: This is just an update of the course conditions as of 4/30/09. There was a giant tree laying across the fairway at 3. It did not impede my shot, but I thought I would let people know so there will be no surprises (pictures will be uploaded).
Cons: To find 15:after playing 14
1. cross the little bridge (you will see a tee box to your right that tee box is 16)

2. Turn Left and walk down the path

3. Turn right into the first opening and you have found 15's tee.

It is not a long hike.

Other Thoughts: I really liked the course even thought I am terrible at playing in the woods. I would play this course over and over again, if for no other reason to improve my accuracy.

Great Course - the hard work shows!

1    4/25/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: mcdavis17
Pros: I was in town for the Dave Matthews concert this weekend, and made time to play another Nashville course. My only previous experience with Nashville DG was Two Rivers Park, so this was a nice change from that course. The course is pretty much set off in its own area of the park -- I did not see any casual park users (walkers, joggers, etc) wandering through the course, and you do not have to throw over any walking paths or playgrounds. It offers a mix of open and wooded holes, but the wooded holes all have visible routes present. They may be tight or a challenge to a RHBH thrower, but they are there. All holes had concrete tee pads that were in good shape, and multiple pin positions. The tee signs were informative about distance and showed which location the pin was supposed to be in, as well as how to get to the next tee from the basket. Terrain was wisely used -- you didn't play up a hill just because a hill was there -- you played up a hill because it made a good hole. Benches and trash cans were at every tee pad (or so it seemed), and I saw very little litter on the course. A sign on one tree said that they had a work period every Sunday morning (followed by a tourney), and the efforts of those show on the course. Info board at course start had lots of good stuff posted about tourneys, etc.
Cons: Not too many. On some of the signs, the letters and numbers used to indicate the various pin placements have come off, and on a couple of the holes, the pin was not in the location indicated on the sign. Also, there were a couple of holes that played close to one another (there is a tee-pad on the right edge of 18's fairway, and Hole 14's fairway runs right behind 13's basket). Also, we almost missed Hole 15 -- we had forgotten which way to go from 14's basket once we holed out, so we came out of the woods and headed to the visible tee-pad -- the group in front of us told us it was #16, and told us how to find # 15.
Other Thoughts: All of the players we encountered on the course were very friendly -- we actually met several other from out of town who were playing the course for the 1st time, and everyone was very complimentary of it. Players ranged from teenagers to some "more experienced" players (looked to be mid-to-late 40's), so the course obviously appeals to a broad range of DG'ers. The course did not seem to have taken much damage from the recent windstorms that went through the Nashville and Murfreesboro area -- one tree was down at 3's teepad, but it was already being dismantled and did not obstruct play. I've only played 2 Nashville courses so far, but if you are coming through the area, I would definitely make it a point to play this one.

Like playing in the woods?

5+    3/23/2009   4/4/2009
Review By: Nightcrawlerdcl
Pros: With a good mix of uphill, downhill, doglegs left and right, short and long, this course will challenge and improve your game.

Many of the holes are protected by unforgiving woods, forcing you to play smart, instead of grip it and rip it. Finesse, not power.

I also love, but have only played once, holes "19, 20, and 21", which are, appropriately enough, located in the middle of what I call "Murderer's Row" (see below). They are three extremely narrow pro-level holes just off to the left of the number 6 basket. I would recommend working on your game before trying these holes!

Lots of benches and trash cans. While the woods can slap down that perfect drive, they also can provide needed shade during the summer.
Cons: Murderer's Row. Holes 5, 6, and 7:

There is no safe way to play hole 5. You have to get lucky, basically, to get it over the hill with a decent angle of the basket to par or better. I don't claim to be good, but I have yet to solve that one.

Hole 6 is a downhill, and either slightly left or slightly right of the tee. Its current back location is killer. Safe to say trees will be a factor for you on this hole as well.

I actually seem to be getting worse at hole 7, despite it being a fairly straightforward uphill dogleg right. These three holes kill my score. Every time.

Those woods that slap down that perfect drive! There are a couple of trees I've grown to hate on this course.

Discs aren't always the only things getting high!
On busy days, it's not uncommon to notice a particularly "mellow" smell, usually in the more secluded holes. It doesn't bother me too much, but I don't think that's appropriate with children often around.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the course can be really crowded at times. Groups of five or more are not uncommon.
Other Thoughts: Currently, some of the holes, like 13 and 18, seem to be in really easy spots. Some of them, like 6, 10, are in really difficult spots. Depends on the season, I guess.

In short, I've grown to appreciate the challenge and variety this course offers. Most of the locals are friendly and love to give advice.

Good but crowded

1    3/20/2009   3/21/2009
Review By: kuhlbeans
Pros: Great hole variety, really works your entire shot spectrum, from backhands to sidearms. Almost no holes are flat, but the hills are gentle. Tee pads are in good shape with signs for hole layout, pin placements, and (usually) direction to next tee.
Cons: Course was overly crowded, it seems to be an extremely high traffic course. Had to wait on every tee, there were a lot of large groups (5+ people) slowing things down, and the people did not seem inclined to let me (playing solo) play through. Some of the signs were faded and hard to read, could do with replacing.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you follow the directions listed here on DGCR because there are two entrances to the park. If you find the park through Google and get GMaps directions it takes you to the entrance on MacGavock, from which you would have a long walk to the start of the course (with no signs to guide the way either).

Good technical course

2-4    2/7/2009   3/3/2009
Review By: Dan_Dizzle
Pros: Good variation of holes. Can get really technical, but there are plenty of ace chances. Several open holes and lots of tight technical holes.
Cons: There are some pretty long holes if the pins are in the back positions. Got lost first time I played there and then it started pouring rain and I was the farthest away from the parking lot as possible.
Other Thoughts: Good course to try out.