Nashville, TN
Seven Oaks Park Share
Hole I Tee

Great Course - the hard work shows!

1    4/25/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: mcdavis17
Pros: I was in town for the Dave Matthews concert this weekend, and made time to play another Nashville course. My only previous experience with Nashville DG was Two Rivers Park, so this was a nice change from that course. The course is pretty much set off in its own area of the park -- I did not see any casual park users (walkers, joggers, etc) wandering through the course, and you do not have to throw over any walking paths or playgrounds. It offers a mix of open and wooded holes, but the wooded holes all have visible routes present. They may be tight or a challenge to a RHBH thrower, but they are there. All holes had concrete tee pads that were in good shape, and multiple pin positions. The tee signs were informative about distance and showed which location the pin was supposed to be in, as well as how to get to the next tee from the basket. Terrain was wisely used -- you didn't play up a hill just because a hill was there -- you played up a hill because it made a good hole. Benches and trash cans were at every tee pad (or so it seemed), and I saw very little litter on the course. A sign on one tree said that they had a work period every Sunday morning (followed by a tourney), and the efforts of those show on the course. Info board at course start had lots of good stuff posted about tourneys, etc.
Cons: Not too many. On some of the signs, the letters and numbers used to indicate the various pin placements have come off, and on a couple of the holes, the pin was not in the location indicated on the sign. Also, there were a couple of holes that played close to one another (there is a tee-pad on the right edge of 18's fairway, and Hole 14's fairway runs right behind 13's basket). Also, we almost missed Hole 15 -- we had forgotten which way to go from 14's basket once we holed out, so we came out of the woods and headed to the visible tee-pad -- the group in front of us told us it was #16, and told us how to find # 15.
Other Thoughts: All of the players we encountered on the course were very friendly -- we actually met several other from out of town who were playing the course for the 1st time, and everyone was very complimentary of it. Players ranged from teenagers to some "more experienced" players (looked to be mid-to-late 40's), so the course obviously appeals to a broad range of DG'ers. The course did not seem to have taken much damage from the recent windstorms that went through the Nashville and Murfreesboro area -- one tree was down at 3's teepad, but it was already being dismantled and did not obstruct play. I've only played 2 Nashville courses so far, but if you are coming through the area, I would definitely make it a point to play this one.

Like playing in the woods?

5+    3/23/2009   4/4/2009
Review By: Nightcrawlerdcl
Pros: With a good mix of uphill, downhill, doglegs left and right, short and long, this course will challenge and improve your game.

Many of the holes are protected by unforgiving woods, forcing you to play smart, instead of grip it and rip it. Finesse, not power.

I also love, but have only played once, holes "19, 20, and 21", which are, appropriately enough, located in the middle of what I call "Murderer's Row" (see below). They are three extremely narrow pro-level holes just off to the left of the number 6 basket. I would recommend working on your game before trying these holes!

Lots of benches and trash cans. While the woods can slap down that perfect drive, they also can provide needed shade during the summer.
Cons: Murderer's Row. Holes 5, 6, and 7:

There is no safe way to play hole 5. You have to get lucky, basically, to get it over the hill with a decent angle of the basket to par or better. I don't claim to be good, but I have yet to solve that one.

Hole 6 is a downhill, and either slightly left or slightly right of the tee. Its current back location is killer. Safe to say trees will be a factor for you on this hole as well.

I actually seem to be getting worse at hole 7, despite it being a fairly straightforward uphill dogleg right. These three holes kill my score. Every time.

Those woods that slap down that perfect drive! There are a couple of trees I've grown to hate on this course.

Discs aren't always the only things getting high!
On busy days, it's not uncommon to notice a particularly "mellow" smell, usually in the more secluded holes. It doesn't bother me too much, but I don't think that's appropriate with children often around.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the course can be really crowded at times. Groups of five or more are not uncommon.
Other Thoughts: Currently, some of the holes, like 13 and 18, seem to be in really easy spots. Some of them, like 6, 10, are in really difficult spots. Depends on the season, I guess.

In short, I've grown to appreciate the challenge and variety this course offers. Most of the locals are friendly and love to give advice.

Good but crowded

1    3/20/2009   3/21/2009
Review By: kuhlbeans
Pros: Great hole variety, really works your entire shot spectrum, from backhands to sidearms. Almost no holes are flat, but the hills are gentle. Tee pads are in good shape with signs for hole layout, pin placements, and (usually) direction to next tee.
Cons: Course was overly crowded, it seems to be an extremely high traffic course. Had to wait on every tee, there were a lot of large groups (5+ people) slowing things down, and the people did not seem inclined to let me (playing solo) play through. Some of the signs were faded and hard to read, could do with replacing.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you follow the directions listed here on DGCR because there are two entrances to the park. If you find the park through Google and get GMaps directions it takes you to the entrance on MacGavock, from which you would have a long walk to the start of the course (with no signs to guide the way either).

Good technical course

2-4    2/7/2009   3/3/2009
Review By: Dan_Dizzle
Pros: Good variation of holes. Can get really technical, but there are plenty of ace chances. Several open holes and lots of tight technical holes.
Cons: There are some pretty long holes if the pins are in the back positions. Got lost first time I played there and then it started pouring rain and I was the farthest away from the parking lot as possible.
Other Thoughts: Good course to try out.

Great course

1    11/28/2008   11/30/2008
Review By: gusc2375
This review was updated on 1/10/2009
Pros: This course was very good. I got there to close to dark to get it all in.Shame on me. I played 1-7 got lost in the dark, found two locals great guys and played 16,17,18 with them. it is a great lay out good mix of woods and open shots with mild elevation changes. I will play again when in Nashville.
Cons: Couldn't tell from sign where pin was located. Hole #6 I couldn't tell where the line was. This may just be me though.
Other Thoughts: The locals that showed me took pride in their course, they were cleaning up trash as they played and gathering cans to recycle. If near Nashville you must play this one. The other course Two Rivers Park is missing 9 baskets they were moved here for the state tourney, the locals said they will be moved back.

Awesome course

2-4    6/5/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: tdortch
Pros: I really enjoyed this course. It has a nice variety of shots, with some chances to rip a drive and some where you must be technical. It wanders in and out of the woods and has multiple pin placements. Several of the holes finish on or near some pretty cool rock formations (nothing huge or waterfall-esque or anything, but neat nonetheless). Nice, scenic course that can kick your butt too!
Cons: The signs are kinda dated and the first time I played this course, I didn't know about the multiple pins and had no idea to look at the sign to figure out which pin was being used (I was fairly new to the game then). The nearby airport, like across the street, is kind of a drag.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend playing this course to anyone passing thru Nashville! There is an "inner course" that starts after hole 6 I think and circles back to 7. Three pretty tough little holes there. Fun though.

Lots Of Hard Work & Engineering Have Gone Into Course!

1    8/13/2008   8/21/2008
Pros: I can't believe the amount of hard work and sweat that has gone into the building and improvements on this course. I have to assume that the disc club has worked countless hours hauling in railroad ties, gravel, bark and other building materials. The result is impressive. I guess much of this has been done dealing with water run-off. My hats are off to the local disc club! The course itself is well marked with 2, 3 or even 4 basket positions on each hole. These A,B,C or D positions are clearly represented by screws with washers on the teepad posts. This was the first course that I had seen this on and I later was to see it used on other Tennessee courses, "Cedar Hill" in Nashville and "The Sinks" in Chattanooga. What a great simple way to show which position the basket is in. Saved me a lot time walking down the fairway and back. The course is mostly wooded and technical. A few holes are in the open park area. It was fairly easy to follow, just a little confusing at times. I think the airport noise added to ambiance of the place. There were many benches to rest on and the course played mostly in the shade. The rough is very forgiving and overall, I think the course is challenging but fair.
Cons: I couldn't find the added three holes, 19-21. # 14 was missing a sign. I guess there's no water to throw over.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed played 7 Cedars early one beautiful, Tennesse morning, peaceful, just me and the noise of the jet engines. This course will challenge, it will frustrate and it will entertain you. And if you see a club member, thank them for me for all their hard work. They've really created something special here.

7 is solid

5+    4/1/2014   7/9/2008
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 12/22/2015
Pros: Fun and challenging course with variety of open and wooded, hyzer and anhyzer, shorter and longer, and a creek. There are no two holes the same. Has additional 3 holes (numbered as I, II, III) inserted in after hole #6 that are optional to play.

This is an older course, but a solid older course. Baskets are older and a little smaller than I prefer, but still in pretty good shape. Fairways and paths to the next hole are well defined. New tee signs have finally replaced the old original signs and the posts reflect the current basket location as many holes have 3-4 possible pin placements.

***Update: Lots of constant maintenance and improvements are constantly being done by the local group. Last time I played was right before a big tournament and they had cleared land and added some new longer and much tougher basket locations and additional pro tees. The original 18 baskets have now been replaced by super sweet highly visible orange powder coat Machs (the ones that used to be at the short-lived Fontanel course).

12/15 Update- Most holes now have two permanent baskets: a shorter/rec normal basket and a bright orange for the longer/adv. However, both placements offer challenge to any level.
Cons: Probably the most crowded course in the area regardless of day of the week and time of day, (but with 21 holes there is rarely ever a backup.) Somewhat hard to navigate at times the first time you play as holes are very close together in spots and the paths intersect. (Just ask somebody if you get confused.) There are several spots where several holes are in view, not good if you don't like to see and hear others while you are playing- can sometimes be annoying and/or intimidating.

The wooded fairways can be a little tight, and there are lots of trees in the fairways, and on most shots it is not a matter of "if" you will hit a tree but "when". Not really a problem for me, I like it, but this may not be fun for some people.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is one of the better courses in the area, and is definitely one of the most challenging. Again it is usually very crowed at most times, but despite its popularity, I have never seen it get majorly backed up either.

***Update: The local club continues to improve this course and, though I don't see it as a 4.0, it is closely approaching that status- now a 3.75 to me for sure. Be sure to add this to your must play list when visiting Nashville.

Great course and close to home

6/7/2008   6/18/2008
Review By: Iceburger
Pros: Well taken care of, close to my home. A good course for me to get my arm back with. I haven't played in 4 years, and this course has gotten me back into throwing.
Cons: Crowded at times.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course, some tight shots, but enough open ones, that you can crush some good drives. Lot's of people around which can be good if you're looking for someone to shoot a round with, or bad if you're showing someone new how to play.

Decent course

6/5/2008   6/5/2008
Review By: ChrisULM
Pros: Challenging course and mostly shady which is nice during the summer.
Cons: Many of the holes do not have a defined fairways. I love wooded holes, but I absolutely DESPISE holes that are surrounded by trees with no clear path to the basket. There are about 3 holes out there that you pretty much have to throw it and rely on luck which is a bit ridiculous.