Colorado City, TX
Ruddick Park Share
Uploaded By: eegor Hole #7 (Taken 4/2012)
3 / 396ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Surprise in West Texas

2-4    4/1/2014   4/1/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: Considering that Colorado City is a town with a population of only about 4000, it is great that they've installed a decent 9-hole course.

There is a course map near the parking lot, and each hole has an excellent tapered concrete teepad. The pad may be a little narrow for some (3' across the front) but I found them serviceable as none of the holes require big runups on the drive.

There is a simple sign at each pad with the hole number and distance. And many have a second sign naming the hole sponsor.

Hole lengths vary from 216' to 396' so you get some variety on your drives.

They didn't have much elevation or vegetation to work with, but they did a good job with what they had. Trees are used either to screen baskets or to present some challenge right off of the tee pad. There are really no tight holes out here, but you'll get a chance to shape a few drives.

Hole 6 is the "signature" hole with a nice group of trees to work around (or through) in front of the teepad, and a large mound of earth supporting the basket. The mound is about 12' high and perhaps 50' diameter and adds a lot of interest to the hole.

Hole 7 drives toward the river/creek and if you blow past the hole you'll find yourself wet. But the basket is a fair distance from the water so I didn't really have an issue.
Cons: There isn't much variety on the course. Mostly a straightish drive to the basket, with no tricky lines.

It is dry, sunny and windy out here, so the ground is dry with sparse vegetation. I didn't have an issue but it looks like it would be grass-bur city later in the summer.

Teepads for Hole 5 and 6 are a little tricky to locate for first-time players, so print out the map (uploaded to the files section).
Other Thoughts: When I played (and I'm guessing much of the rest of the time) the challenge out here comes from the wind. There are big power-generating windmills all over the countryside in this area, so this is a windy course to play!

The more I play other courses, the more I like this one.

5+    10/18/2010   10/18/2010
Review By: Jim and Marla Bell
Pros: I've only played on 3 different courses so far and this is by far my favorite one. It does not interfere with picnicners as in other parks may do. The holes are mostly short and to me, makes it more enjoyable.
Cons: I know its west Texas, but the grass burrs are terrible. There are 2 holes that I hardly ever play because of them. The tee's are a little far from the last hole played.(Being that they are far apart, I usually "practice" from hole to tee). So it kinda works out ok.
Other Thoughts: I will continue to play this course. The more I play other courses, the more I like this one.

Not a bad 9

1    8/1/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: tbone
This review was updated on 8/26/2010
Pros: This is a fairly basic little 9 hole course with great concrete tee pads and signs with hole lengths. This is a fun course for beginners to intermediates. It's situated in a very nice park right off I-20, so it is easy to find.
Cons: They have you walking quite a bit from hole to next tee on some. The fairway on #4 looks like it has never been mowed. More experienced players won't find much of a challenge here, as most of these holes are short, with only 3 over 300' and none over 400'.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is not a bad little 9 hole course. I hope it sees some use. Don't drive all the way to West Texas just to play this one, but if you are in the area, check it out.