Brentwood, TN
Hole #2 White Tee: Basket straight ahead along tree line, red tee to the right

Throwing for distance

5+    1/29/2012   2/5/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: The Nasvhille disc golf scene has multiple courses of all variety to showcase the sport. Crockett park, located just 15-20 minutes south of downtown Nashville, in my opinion provides a great complement to the many other courses nearby. A well maintained course with not too much non-disc golf interference except on the first couple of holes this course offers almost everything you could ask for in a disc golf course.

Crockett contains 2 sets of tees, red and white, which for the most part actually provide 2 different courses. The white tees (pro) are typically longer with a few more added difficulties (tighter initial lines, more obstacles to avoid initially). The red tees typically provide for technically less difficult lines with shortened distances though they are by no means "dumbed down" versions of the white tees. Importantly both sets of tees have their own tee signs complete with fairly accurate distances.

Along with multiple tees most holes also have multiple pins which personally I don't find to always be a pro if they are not well designed alternate positions, but this course tends to provide differing enough shots to be worth it.

For me one thing that is a must for a course to go from being good to above average or excellent there needs to be some elevation change which this course most definitely possesses.

While some reviewers have commented on the course being "too open" I would have to disagree. Yes for the most part the course is open, but given the distances of the holes, the elevation changes and the good use of natural obstacles and OB lines I think the monotony is broken up very well. Not to mention given the openness and length of the holes it really allows you to air out some big drives.
Cons: The first thing you notice about the course, any course are the tee pads themselves. With the exception of a couple of holes which play off the walking trail which meanders through parts of the course the pads are of carpet. When its dry out there is not much of a problem but obviously once it gets a little wet things can be tricky and a little dangerous. With that they are frequently upgraded.

As just mentioned there is a walking trail around and through the park. For the most part it avoids the course but there are a couple of holes where it comes into play. You tee off of it on holes 1 and 4 (from the whites). It also runs the length of the middle of 4s fairway and the right side of 9s. Typically non-golf traffic isn't that bad and the people who use it do at least know what the sport of disc golf is, but its something to be on the lookout for when playing.

There are 3 holes which are completely out of character of the rest of the course. Holes 6-8 were added after the indoor soccer complex was added requiring a course re-design as a way to bridge the walk from the front of the course to the back. These holes are all very short and very technical. They are not bad holes in and of themselves, they just don't flow well with the rest of the course.

There can be some very long walks between a couple of the holes. Along those lines when you finish up on 18 you end in the middle of the back portion of the course and have quite a lengthy walk to the parking lot uphill the entire way.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is one of my favorite courses in town. I just moved to the nashville area last summer and was very happy to come to a place with so many great courses within a few minutes drive of downtown. I place this course nearly as often as Cedar Hill on the north side of town which is one of my favorite courses.

This is a great course to practice controlled long drives. Being primarily open there is a lot of room for error to help hone in your long drives, but to score well you have to be accurate and controlled. Crockett provides yet another great complement for the Nashville disc golf scene.

I've been told and it appears to be confirmed here by other reviewers that par 54 is considered near a 1000 rated round. As someone rated in the 980-990+ range I would say that is fairly accuate. As I play this course frequently I usually score between 50 to 56

Excellent

2-4    4/19/2011   4/20/2011
Review By: joshuaneate
Pros: Placed in a multi-use park that is well kept and the grass is frequently mowed.

Billboard style map of course at the first tee showing you exactly where each tee is. Amateur and Pro tees.

Not a lot of people there on a sunny day so it's easy to just play a round and not have to wait.

Most of the tees have accurate signage.

Cons: The tees are usually made of carpet which isn't bad but I definitely prefer a concrete pad. Some of the carpet is gross.

Some of the signage is highly inaccurate.***
Other Thoughts: ***For example - hole 11 sign shows A and B locations. No C. The pole has A,B, and C locations available and the bolt denotes the basket is on A, but it's on the "hypothetical" C. Luckily, the basket is close and easy to spot from the tee.

In my opinion the course is very wide open in comparison to Seven Oaks or Cedar Hill. So if you hit a lot of trees you'll like this course.

Nice - Well Marked Course

1    9/8/2010   9/16/2010
Review By: hooboy
Pros: Challenging overall layout, with some of the best signage I've seen anywhere. Two sets of tees, with distance / map signs at each tee. Multiple basket locations avaiable on most holes with a good marking system using bolts in "A,B C" holes on signage poles. Plenty of "next tee" signs. I played alone and never got lost. Good mix of mainly open and some wooded holes with moderate elevation changes. Course is generaly set apart from the rest of the park. Plenty of distance here to challenge big arms from the back tees, also plenty playable from the front tees. Course starts out a little blah with 1-4 mainly wide open, then 5-10 start a birdie run, with 6-9 the only really heavily wooded holes. Number 6 is a one shotter under a tree, where they bent over a huge branch to create an "archway" you have to throw under - very cool - birdied it. This course has good challenges, and just enough trees in play to keep it interesting. Easy to find in a nice neighborhood, Number 1 tee close to parking lot.
Cons: Not too many cons. Tees are grass / carpet, though generally flat and in decent shape. Course is generally open / lightly wooded, although trees / bushes that come into play can be gnarly in terms of finding discs. I found all my discs but had to hunt / crawl through the shule. Back 9 generally plays up and back on a power line cut, with some power lines / poles in play as obstacles, not necessarily a con, unless you are a purist. 18 finishes a good ways from the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: There is much to like here, cons are minimal. The basket marking system is great, simple, and was 100 % accurate. They have done a very good job of bringing available trees / bushes / power pole obstacles into play. Saw one basket placement I've never seen before....13 was perched on three steps of railraod ties (seen that), then atop not one but two regulation size poles. Putting was a little like shooting a basketball free throw, kind of cool. This is a very good course. One of the best marked courses I've ever seen. I liked it a lot.

worth the trip

1    8/7/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: As you pull up to this course you realize that you are in a nice area of town. Hole 1 is pretty easy to find, and the signs are fantastic on this course. They are simple but informative, and we found more than one pad by seeing the signs hundreds of feet away. One pro that is unique for me is that the sign posts have bolts that tell you which hole location you are shooting to (seems like such a simple task that no course should be without it). The hole set up is unique, with a lot of holes being unlike any I have ever played before (and this was approximately my 70th different course played). The white pads proved to be challenging but not frustrating. There was plenty of open holes, but even though they were open fairways, there would be some gap to hit (I loved hole 16).
Cons: The pars were set to a 1000 rated round, which was awesome to see where you stack up to the average pro round. However, there are certain holes that you have to work hard at to get the three, and it would be nice if you were awarded a birdie-3 for your work instead of a standard par. I don't know if this course is not allowed to have concrete due to regulations, but I am assuming not since they have put so much work into everything else. Those are really my only complaints, and I am being kinda picky on both.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a fantastic course. I drove down from Columbus, OH and am very pleased with the courses I played in Nashville. I met up with a buddy from Charlotte, and we played long tees and both had a great round. Personally, unless you are recreational, I advise playing the long tees here, if nothing else because this course is parred at a 1000-rated round, and you can see where you stand as a disc golf player. I would definitely come back to this course if in the area, but at the same time won't be planning another 350 mile trip around it.

Fun day in the heat

2-4    8/16/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
This review was updated on 8/18/2010
Pros: Am and Pro tees for every hole. Love playing the Pro tees for a nice challenge and then playing the Am tees afterwards to feel good.
Cons: Lots of thorns. I lost a Teebird off of hole 11 in the brush. I will wear pants next time. A lot of the course plays through some very hot open fields.
Other Thoughts: I will play this course more often now that I know where it is. I thought the lack of concrete tee pads would bother me but my group played through and barely noticed. Not an issue on a dry summer day.

Super challenge from the longs

1    7/31/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: I enjoyed this course quite a bit. It's more open than most, but really makes good use of elevation changes to keep things interesting. There are hardly any flat holes to be found. Nice variety of holes - a few technical and wooded, some big bombers, some tunnel shots, some right, some left. Little bit of everything. The majority of the course was open rolling hills, with little "islands" of trees/bushes/rough scattered about that provided obstacles to throw around/through/over.

Multiple (carpet) teepads on every hole. Signs were good, and unlike most courses with multiple teepads, each pad had it's own sign which was nice. Upkeep on the course was good, grass looks to be mowed pretty regularly.

Hole design was pretty good for the most part, with several memorable holes. 16-18 were fantastic and left me with a great final impression as I left the course.
Cons: Just like every other review, I have to mention the lack of concrete teepads as a negative. The carpet pads were actually better than I expected, the biggest drawback being that they were sometimes lumpy in places, and not always level. It's my understanding that the local club has been trying to get funding and approval for concrete pads for some time now. This is far too good a course to not have concrete.

The only other improvement I'd like to see would be more benches. This course is long and it's hilly. In the hot summer sun you can get zapped pretty quick.
Other Thoughts: We played from the white (long) tees, and let me warn you: these pars are no joke!! I'm personally not in the "everything is par 3" crowd and prefer to measure myself against the "expected" score on a given hole, ie par. I found this tidbit on the course message board: "we set white tee par based on the best whole number for a 1000 rated player." Needless to say, I've never played a course with pars set for 1000 rated players, but it was great fun and brought out the best in me. Examples: hole 5 is 396' out of a low-ceiling tunnel, through another gap, turnover to the right, to a basket that's guarded by little evergreen trees…par 3. Hole 17 is 484' UPHILL to a wooded approach…par 3! Man! Most courses would have these as par 4s and possible even 5s!

There were quite a few other groups playing while we were there, and everyone we saw was throwing from the short tees. Apparently most people consider the longs a little too brutal. Are you man enough?!

Great Fun!

2-4    7/5/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: LMeyers
Pros: well groomed, easy to located tee boxes and baskets, park located in a very nice area of town, hole signs very nice, decent mix of open/woods, long/short holes.
Cons: no concrete tee pads :(
LONG walk back to parking lot from hole 18.
Other Thoughts: wish this were our home course! loved watching the deer "frolicking" on hole 9!!

Crockett Park

2-4    4/14/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: Sheen
Pros: Great open course that really gives you a chance to practice your distance throws. A Decent variety of vegetation throughout the 18 holes and a good variety of shots is necessary to play well here.
Cons: The first few holes are VERY open. The underbrush is thick and the summer and it can be easy to lose a disc. Possibly poison ivy trouble.

Fun and clean

1    10/16/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: dud317
Pros: Beautiful and well maintained course. Pro tees and Am tees allow for variety of skill level. Most holes are open with a few wooded and some with just some tree hazards. Not busy during the weekdays.
Cons: Some holes have woods very near the fairway, so an errant throw on a windy day will send you searching. 18 ends in the middle of the park so you have a bit of a walk to get back to the parking lot. Sometimes you have to search out the pin before you tee off.
Other Thoughts: This course is very fun and while it may seem technical, it's more just hilly and wooded. You don't need to be a pro to shoot from the pro tees, most just add 50 feet or less to the hole. I started playing about 3 months ago and I shot mostly from am tees with a couple of pro tees, and I shot an amazing 48.

5+    8/8/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: msudog_
This review was updated on 3/17/2010
Pros: I've been playing here weekly for the past 5 months, so I'm updating my review of the course.

In my opinion, the best attribute of this course is the multiple tee pads. The Am/Pro tees offers a fun, challenging experience for everyone.

This is one of the longest courses in the area, so it can give you a good workout.

This course is very well maintained. There is some thick brush, but I usually try to stray from it.

It's mostly open, but some basket placements utilize the trees/brush very well as obstacles.

It can get very windy, so it makes the course much more challenging and fun, I think. The wind can make hole 13 hilarious because of the elevated basket.

Grip it and rip it baby! Although it's mostly open, there are a few trees/ob you need to worry about on every hole.

Offers some very challenging holes from the Pro tee pads.
Cons: Because it's primarily open, the summer sun can zap you fast. Bring water!

Carpet tee pads. When it's dry, they are never a problem. When it's wet, they generally blow. Some tee pads are in low areas, and they take forever to dry out.

You can live off the RHBH. Unless I have a terrible drive, I might use a tomahawk and thumber once.

For such a long course, there are hardly any benches and trash cans.

There is a path that runs along several holes that gets used by walkers, runners, bikers, etc.

Lately I've seen a lot of people just walking their dog around the course. Unfortunately they don't tend to bag the poo.

The only real problem I have on any of the holes is hole 8 from the pro tee pad. Located right next to the pad on the right is a tree. You can easily smack your hand/arm on the trunk of the tree if you use the front of the tee pad. I don't really think you should be able to injure yourself on an object from a tee pad.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course. I play it just about every Sunday with a group of locals at 2 pm (Join us!).

Generally, it's not a crowded course. Since the weather has gotten nicer, some Saturdays and Sundays can get crowded. That will probably taper off once the Summer heat hits us.

I like this course for beginners and pros alike. There are multiple pin placements for some holes, but they are not moved very much. I think the last time some of the baskets were moved was about 6 months ago.

As of today here are my favorite Nashville area courses:

1. Cedar Hill Park
2. Crockett Park
3. Liberty Park
4. Sharp Springs Park
5. Barfield Crescent Park
6. Seven Oaks Park
7. Two Rivers

I haven't played Sanders Ferry, Cedars of Lebanon, or Triple Creek.