North Star, MI
The Vines DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #12 (Taken 3/2010)

this course is fun!

1    10/21/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic--plays through a DG exclusive portion of this expansive park. many many ammenities are here the only real chance of intermingling are on the last hole during the summer.

Teepads-- nice, adequate length and in good repair. covered with leaves but not really an issue

Teesigns-- nice, have a little picture of the hole layout on them with distance. I think a couple of the pictures are a bit inaccurate but that's ok, most baskets are visible from the tee.

Challenge-- this course will challenge every shot in your bag. from long bombers to short techinical shots, left fades and turnovers. even a water shot.

Originality-- this course is sweet. #3 and #4 are amazing with their wind swept trees. Even though they are short they are visually stunning. The signature hole, #18, is pretty sweet. there is an extra (old) teepad here that gives you a whole new view of this hole...

Benches-- there is a bench at EVERY hole. This is a huge plus on busier days when you are waiting for the pad. they are also far enough back, except #16 or 17, where it is mid-fairway on a huge turnover...
Cons:
Rediculousness--#12 is a bit silly. very very narrow and >400' long... the next couple holes aren't much better... the huge turnover shot on 16 or 17 is a little nuts.

repetition-- there is not a lot of variety in the middle here. A lot of the holes feel the same after a while.
a nice way to finish my day... nice course overall.

Escape the crowds in Lansing

2-4    11/22/2012   11/27/2012
Review By: jayne
Pros: Course is well manicured and cared for. Hole layouts require for a wide variety of shots, which makes it fun. Only about a 40 minute drive from Lansing, which makes it a nice escape from the crowds at Grand Woods. Both times I have been at the Vines there has been absolutely no one else on the course.
Cons: Holes are either really short or really long, and there isn't much in between distance wise.
Other Thoughts: Nice work Keith! I'll be making my way up to this course whenever I can find the time, as it is a course that will help me improve my game due to the wide variety of shots required.

Michigan's Hidden Gem

2-4    8/30/2012   9/30/2012
Review By: Puckstopper
This review was updated on 2/16/2014
Pros: Variety of shots needed for success.

Beautifully maintained.

Reasonably well marked holes

Michigan permits alcohol in their parks (Ohio doesn't) so being able to crack a few brews with friends is nice
Cons: Hole 12 is virtually impossible. However, I'm not sure I'd want it changed much, as it's a good hole to separate the men from the boys when playing competitively, and with 6 holes left afterwards there is enough time to recover if you catch a bad break.

Plan on losing a disc if you find the rough on the later holes. Both times I played this course we had large groups, and in two rounds lost 5 discs and found only one.

The rough! I know I said it already, but that stuff is brutal!
Other Thoughts: Update: Just flipped through the pics, and noticed that they must be from when the course was built. I'll get better shots next spring when I play the course, as these don't do it justice!

This course reignited my passion for disc golf. It is challenging without being frustrating, pretty without the scenery becoming a distraction, and has enough variety in the holes to actually require you to think about your shots. Combine all of this with a well maintained layout and a minimum of other people, and you've got a fantastic place to play. The tees are a hybrid between the pro and am tees at other courses I play, and while I'm sure this makes this course tough on beginners and a little less than challenging for advanced players, it makes it a fair challenge for the majority of us who dwell in between those two extremes. I probably wouldn't drive more than an hour to play this course, but then I've never found a course I WOULD BE willing to drive that far for, so take that for what it's worth.

Tough Call

1    7/22/2012   7/29/2012
Pros: 1) Extremely good use of distance variation to keep the course from being boring and it also alters up the disc and shot selection.
2) There are a handful of useful directionals to help guide you are the course. That is always helpful for a first timer or the travelling disc golfer.
3) Sign Posts with Hole #, Distance, Par, and a simple map. The maps are small and virtually impossible to vandalize. It was basically a vinyl overlay on a metal sign. If it was written on I would assume it would be wiped off, but the sign was only as big as the angle cut on the 4x4 so there is virtually no way to get after the sign.
4) Very nice variety of hole type here ranging from the prairie type hole, to a prairie with spotty trees, to a few tight wooded holes, and an over the water shot to a beach. This was very unexpected for being in the middle of nowhere.
5) This is a beautiful expansive park with all sorts of activities. There was plenty to do and the disc golf was almost completely removed from the other activities, although I would assume you will see people walking the course because of it being a nice walk in the park down mowed paths.
6) There is a challenge at every corner. If it isn't tight and wooded, it is that key tree to avoid, or the thick rough, or the tall prairie grass, or to end it all water. A little bit of everything on this course and it keeps the challenge level high.
7) Nice Chainstar baskets in great shape and ready for play.
8) Garbage cans on every hole. This ought to keep the course nice and clean!
9) Benches at every hole are a wonderful touch. It was hot the day we played so we sat down a couple times. It sure is nice to be able to sit and relax if you want to.
10) Mailbox with scorecards (although it was empty when I was there) at the first tee right by the $1 donation tube.
Cons: 1) I found poison ivy in a few spots. I hope they do some work to try and eradicate this bad weed.
2) I found a spot of barbed wire and it was on the edge of the fairway. It sure would be good to make sure all of these rusty dangers were gone before the course is opened.
3) The tight wooded holes are fun, but they rely a bit on luck to get a good chance at birdie. They are executable shots, but the gaps are so small on some of them that an excellent shot could easily turn into a stupid bogey because of a kick and an obstacle.
4) This course is fun and challenging but it is also not the most scenic. It is a lot of undesirable trees, the prairies are full of weeds, there are a lot of unmaintained areas in between holes and such. I like disc golf courses that provide a nice aesthetic appeal as well as a great disc golf experience.
5) The distance in combination with the luck factor and some unmaintained areas keeps this course from being beginner friendly. You would think being in the middle of nowhere they might have better luck attracting beginners than better disc golfers, but I guess you take what the land gives you. I heard this course is being considered as part of the Disc Golf Girls Gone Wild tourney if the second course at Sleepy Hollow is not completed. I would be interested to hear the tournament scores out here!

6) Virtually no elevation change on this course. I love to see little undulations and slight rolling hills because they alter your shots. Here you don't go up or down more than a couple feet per hole.

7) Slight repetitiveness on the middle section of the course. The prairies don't change much and the scenery is about the same.
Other Thoughts: We stopped here to check the course out because my wife is considering coming over for the Disc Golf Girls Gone Wild tournament next year. She spoke to the TD and also designer of this course to get that information. I had a good time, but it was frustrating at other times. The shots were fun and challenging, but the rough, unmaintained areas, and the slight reliance on luck took away from the experience a bit. I think the potential of this course over time could be tremendous.

Underated and overlooked

1    7/18/2012   7/19/2012
Review By: Hfactor
This review was updated on 7/21/2012
Pros: This course is actually quite fantastic. It is well maintained, easy to navigate, has a great shot selection. For being on flat ground to add difficulty there is a low ceiling on many of the holes or skinny opening fairways. This course requires good shot selection, power, and accuracy to do well. I almost lost a disc but after a 10 minutes I found it stuck in the tree I had seen it go in(derp). Holes 11 12 and 13 were my favorite. With the land how it is the designer really made a interesting and dynamic course that has a lot to offer. The park is great too, well kept and great facilities.
Cons: Some blind shots (just walk the hole a hundred feet and you can see the pins), not a big deal. No elevation but the low ceilings make up for that.

There is some thick rough, but almost every course I have played has some thick rough and prickers. Just play better and you won't have to deal with the rough :P.

Beginners might not have fun on this course because of this and there are no am pads. But this course has a lot to teach.
Other Thoughts: I think we have Pete Little to thank for a lot of this. I'm not sure who designed it but he deserves a big thank you as well!

Hole 18 actually has an alternate tee pad if you don't want to throw over 150 feet of water.

This course has leagues on Mondays @ 6pm which is ran by Keith Aten. $6 to enter and $1 for ace race. In my opinion this course is far better than Sleepy Hollow. I wish I could rate it a 4.25 but I cant and a 4.0 is too low so I'm rating it a 4.5.

nice course, go play it!

5+    11/27/2011   12/8/2011
Review By: Balrog
Pros: Very well maintained course, it is always mowed and clean.
Trash cans and benches at every hole, also new signs with distances.
Hole 18 is the signature hole now. You cross over a bridge, then throw from a tee that is about 10' above the water. You have to drive at least 100' to clear the pond, however if you fade to the left you can shorten that distance.
This course doesn't get much use so its never busy, not sure why, maybe its the location.
Cons: Some of the holes in the middle 6,7,10,11 get pretty redundant as they just go back and forth across a field.
A couple of the fairways have some really tight lines.
Other Thoughts: Overall its a good course to play. Another water hole or two would definately add some more interest. Get out there and play this course, its worth a drive to check it out! Its about 45 mins from Lansing. The park is free to enter, the DG course has a donation box for maintenance.

Lot's of fun.

5+    10/8/2011   10/21/2011
Review By: starskeeter
Pros: This is my course to go to when I have played Sleepy Hollow too much.
- Set in a very nice county park that has a lot to offer for the entire family (during the summer).
- A good variety of short shots (particularly in the front 9) with some real long shots (mostly in the back 9).
- Used only for disc golf, so you won't have to stop and wait for pedestrians.
- Well maintained park, the greens stay short.
Cons: - The rough... it's very thick on some holes, and has a lot of thorny brush, so stay in the fairway.
- Hole 12 (a par 4 hole) is really long and really narrow.
- Lack of elevation. This coupled with the rough push it down from being 4 or 4.5 discs.
Other Thoughts: This course is pretty much the same distance from my house as Sleepy Hollow. I prefer Sleepy Hollow because it has better elevation changes and the rough is not so rough there. However, with that being said, I really enjoy Reed Park, and if you are from the Lansing, St. Johns, Mt. Pleasant area it is worth a little drive to play for sure.

5+    5/23/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: SAxDrc
This review was updated on 9/5/2011
Pros: -nice course in a really nice county park.
-there is a lot of variety. some heavily wooded, some open shots. nice mix of hyzer/anhyzer shots. good variety in distance (161-450ish).
-not much traffic. I didn't see another disc golfer the entire time I was there.
-well taken care of. beautiful tee pads, practically new baskets, mowed fairways, really good signage
-nice scenery; course plays near a nice lake/pond with a stream. set in a pine/oak forest.
-hole 18 is sweet. (see "other thoughts")
Cons: -the biggest con for me was that there is very little elevation change.
-if you leave the fairway expect to spend quite a long time trying to find your disc in some of the nastiest overgrowth I have seen. tons of poison ivy and pricker bushes.
-on hole 15 the sign looks like the basket was to the right so my first time I threw a RHFH. it was actually to the left and my drive was 150' too far right.
Other Thoughts: the course is 12 minutes or so from my apartment so I can't believe it took me so long to check out it out. I could play this everyday given my choices in courses in the area.

the more I play this course the more I like it. I rated it a 4, yet I have NEVER seen another disc golfer on the course. I'm not sure If people just don't know about it or what...?

UPDATE: They have completely redone hole 18, and it is awesome. you throw slightly downhill and over a river. (I estimate 200' to the shore then another 100 to the basket)

This course has really developed!

5+    10/17/2010   4/12/2011
Review By: JohnnyShoes
Pros: Excellent use of land, lots of different shots. Holes 1-4 are wonderful with a comet! No real water threats, isolated and lots of vegetation.
Cons: Picker bushes. If you aren't all that good at disc golf, wear long pants to go through the pickers! Most have been eliminated, but bundles of them lurk! Parking is a bit away from the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is great to play if you are out to have fun and enjoy the company of your friends.

Ithaca

1    9/14/2010   10/7/2010
Review By: Portablewalrus
Pros: This is a nice, typical course in an unlikely location, though not too far north from Lansing. My first impression was that it was too nice for the amount of traffic it seems to get. Which, of course is a good thing. I'm sure the word will get out soon and more people will come to play. There seems to be a great variety of holes. Long bombers become more prevalent towards the latter half, while the first nine are full of dog legs and holes that go from open to wooded with the pin in some tight areas. Lots of blind shots and no water hazards make for an interesting play and may or may not be a "pro" depending on the type of player you are. the designer used the trees very well through out the course, and with a good drive makes for some pretty photo ops. Its also very well maintained as far as trash goes.
Cons: Lots of shrubberies! So, bring an offering for the knights who say ni if your shots tend to stray and you want to keep your discs. Again there are no water hazards which may decrease the value in terms of variety. Also, there isn't much in the way of elevation change.
Other Thoughts: If you get lost and find your self in the little town just north of the park, find the local cop who patrols! He was very helpful and led me right to the first hole. Plus it looks good for us rag tag discers to show that we aren't a bunch of broke hippies. Well... most of us at least.