North Star, MI
The Vines DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #4 (Taken 3/2010)

Michigan's Hidden Gem

2-4    8/30/2012   9/30/2012
Review By: Puckstopper
This review was updated on 2/16/2014
Pros: Variety of shots needed for success.

Beautifully maintained.

Reasonably well marked holes

Michigan permits alcohol in their parks (Ohio doesn't) so being able to crack a few brews with friends is nice
Cons: Hole 12 is virtually impossible. However, I'm not sure I'd want it changed much, as it's a good hole to separate the men from the boys when playing competitively, and with 6 holes left afterwards there is enough time to recover if you catch a bad break.

Plan on losing a disc if you find the rough on the later holes. Both times I played this course we had large groups, and in two rounds lost 5 discs and found only one.

The rough! I know I said it already, but that stuff is brutal!
Other Thoughts: Update: Just flipped through the pics, and noticed that they must be from when the course was built. I'll get better shots next spring when I play the course, as these don't do it justice!

This course reignited my passion for disc golf. It is challenging without being frustrating, pretty without the scenery becoming a distraction, and has enough variety in the holes to actually require you to think about your shots. Combine all of this with a well maintained layout and a minimum of other people, and you've got a fantastic place to play. The tees are a hybrid between the pro and am tees at other courses I play, and while I'm sure this makes this course tough on beginners and a little less than challenging for advanced players, it makes it a fair challenge for the majority of us who dwell in between those two extremes. I probably wouldn't drive more than an hour to play this course, but then I've never found a course I WOULD BE willing to drive that far for, so take that for what it's worth.

5+    5/23/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: SAxDrc
This review was updated on 9/5/2011
Pros: -nice course in a really nice county park.
-there is a lot of variety. some heavily wooded, some open shots. nice mix of hyzer/anhyzer shots. good variety in distance (161-450ish).
-not much traffic. I didn't see another disc golfer the entire time I was there.
-well taken care of. beautiful tee pads, practically new baskets, mowed fairways, really good signage
-nice scenery; course plays near a nice lake/pond with a stream. set in a pine/oak forest.
-hole 18 is sweet. (see "other thoughts")
Cons: -the biggest con for me was that there is very little elevation change.
-if you leave the fairway expect to spend quite a long time trying to find your disc in some of the nastiest overgrowth I have seen. tons of poison ivy and pricker bushes.
-on hole 15 the sign looks like the basket was to the right so my first time I threw a RHFH. it was actually to the left and my drive was 150' too far right.
Other Thoughts: the course is 12 minutes or so from my apartment so I can't believe it took me so long to check out it out. I could play this everyday given my choices in courses in the area.

the more I play this course the more I like it. I rated it a 4, yet I have NEVER seen another disc golfer on the course. I'm not sure If people just don't know about it or what...?

UPDATE: They have completely redone hole 18, and it is awesome. you throw slightly downhill and over a river. (I estimate 200' to the shore then another 100 to the basket)

great course layout!

1    4/28/2010   4/28/2010
Review By: fleeulrich
This review was updated on 4/30/2010
Pros: The course has some real unique holes. Each hole was well marked, and easy to find. The holes are all marked with large rocks, and some holes have rocks pointing the way to the next tee. The big rocks at each pad have general hole layout, par, and hole # painted on them. When I played this course, they were almost finished installing concrete pads.
Cons: To be honest I didn't find any real negatives with this course, other than the pickers lining some of the fairways. There are a couple holes with baskets that are hard to see 'til you get a lil closer.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course to anyone. I really liked the layout of hole #3, almost like you were in a tunnel through the trees with the basket tucked nicely behind a sideways growing tree. Then there was hole #16 with a big hook to the right, that gives the chance to test out those anhyzers. When you get to the park, just follow the bridge across the pond to hole #1. Score cards with map are available right near hole #1 too.