Nashville, TN
Uploaded By: ambroze Hole #17

Serves its purpose

1    10/10/2012   10/14/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Full 18 hole course in a large city park. Mix of carpet and concrete tee pads that all worked well. Signs at tees showing multiple basket locations with the washer system to show current layout. Course is pretty wide open so you can simply look at the basket to know where you're headed.

Rolling hills and scattered mature trees are the setting for this course. No line shaping or tight gaps to hit. Plenty of room for error, and multiple shots could be used to reach most baskets. Nice looking course that is open enough on the hills to allow wind to impact throws on certain days. Course also has virtually zero lost disc potential.

Several of the baskets are tucked behind or near large trees to add to the challenge. This course did what it could with the layout to make things as interesting as it could be. There are a decent amount of small up and downhills throws. There is also a few baskets with some sloping ground to add some risk to putts and approaches.

With the open layout of this course, and distances ranging from 221' to 378' this would be a great course for newer players or to bring less skilled friends. Nothing overly challenging or brutal that would discourage lesser players from having a good time. With all the more challenging wooded courses in the area this looks like a good choice for practice rounds or rookies.
Cons: Signs are old and need replacement. I would also question some of the distances.

It looks like there are some random extra tee pads around. There might be some alternate layouts with more challenge, but without better signs I had no clue.

Every shot is pretty straight and simple. Not a hole on the course where you are excited or in awe.
Other Thoughts: Not a ton you can say about this course. It is decent in a typical open park setting kind of way. Nothing offensive and nothing great. If you are in Nashville and looking for an open course to practice or bring a new player this would be a nice option. Every city should have at least one of these type courses, but I wouldn't travel out of my way to go there.

Great for learning the game

5+    1/22/2012   2/7/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: I have never played any of the previous layouts others have mentioned in their reviews so I cannot speak to comparison of old layouts.

This is a great beginners course. Set in a beautiful public park the course occupies quite a bit of land. The use of natural elevation changes and framing of the holes with a few trees here and there provide for some variety in shot selection.

Given the lack of rough its virtually impossible to lose a disc and overall makes for a very quick round of golf. I can play the entire 18 holes (not speed golf format) in about 1 hour which is nice if you don't have a lot of time but want to get in a quick one.
Very easy to score well making it a great course new players just learning the game trying to figure out how their discs fly. Without much in the way in terms of obstacles nearly every hole can be reached with whatever your favorite shot type is which is great for practicing throwing different lines to reach the same end result.
Cons: While there is some variety in fairways, there isn't much in the way of demands off the tee. If you can only hyzer backhands you'll likely shoot just as well as if you could throw every conceivable shot in the game.

Tee signs are, by nature of the fact that the course has been re-designed a few times, not the most accurate. With that said the holes themselves are pretty obvious so its not like you have to worry about getting lost

Tee pads are a mix of carpet and concrete which I am never a fan of. I think most golfers would agree a nice grippy concrete pad is ideal, but consistency is likely more important.
With that said given the history of this course with re-designs I can understand the hesitence of making permenant tees and I would imagine future design changes are likely in discussion.
Other Thoughts: I play this course a fair amount despite only rating it as a 2.5 mainly because it is relatively close to my house and its a good course to try new things such as new grips, plastic, throwing lines, etc. Really for more advanced players throwing this course is like going to the driving range. Not a great assessment of your golf game, but great for practice.

Based on what I've read in some of the other posts about previous layouts and looking at the old tee signs I probably would have enjoyed the old layouts utilizing more distance but thats just me.

Still Needs Some Improvements

5+    10/13/2011   10/14/2011
Review By: boondock339
Pros:
Baskets - Yes, it has them. They are older, but functional, and that's all you can really ask for.
Maintenance - Seems to be well-maintained. Grass is cut on a regular basis. Not a lot of foliage to deal with.
Bathrooms - There is a port-a-potty in the overflow parking lot. I guess this could be a con depending on your view of port-a-pottys, but at least it has something in case nature calls.
Parking - Plenty of it
Scenic Beauty - It's a good looking park...lots of big trees
Course Design - Is it an improvement over what was previously there? Yes. It had no where to go but up though. I suppose that it makes the best use of the space available.
Not crowded
Regular events - Yes, random draw doubles every Thursday at 5:30
Cons:
Tee Pads - There is concrete for some tees and carpet for others. There are also concrete tees that go nowhere, which could be confusing to someone who has never played the course.
Tee Signs - I'm sorry, maybe I'm a stickler for details, but this is completely sorry. What you have is the old sign which is large, and then somebody stuck a newly printed, much smaller sheet of paper with the new info on it. And when I say stuck, I mean just thrown in there. Some were straight and some were crooked. You can still see the old signage underneath. It's pretty sloppy.
Benches - couldn't find any
Trash Cans - I saw 1 on #1 and one near #3/4 but nothing else except what already exists by the picnic shelters.
I played Two Rivers yesterday evening after not having played it in a while. I live about 4 minutes from the course, and while it is the most convenient course to where I reside, I prefer to play other courses in the area. I was curious to see the "improvements" made to the course. The new layout is a definite improvement, but this course still has a ways to go before it gets a better rating from me. It will never be an amazing course, so I guess you just have to appreciate it for what it is. It is an extremely open course, and it is a great course to learn on. I would say there's virtually zero chance you could lose a disc here. For people that are little bit more seasoned, it can be a good place to work on some distance drives and to work on your elevation game. If you are getting ready to play in a tourney that has a course that is notorious for windy conditions, then this might be a good place to prepare. I have never played a round at Two Rivers when it wasn't windy to some degree.

Random Thought: It might be interesting to put in a sister course across the pedestrian bridge at Shelby Bottoms Park. It could be a nice compliment to the open nature of Two Rivers. Perhaps it could be an alternate 9 holes instead of playing the back 9 at Two Rivers.

Great new design

5+    7/22/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Coast
This review was updated on 3/9/2012
Pros: New course design has made this a very enjoyable round. I've played here over the last 5 years and now I finally have the feeling of playing on a disc golf course.

So often it would be a struggle to play the entire front 9 because of a missing basket or from being so tired going up and down the hills. The front 9 is now well put together with a few walks to tee pads (4->5, 5->6) and it really offers good opportunities to get the most out of your discs.

I would often only go to the backside to break in new disc and test them out. Now both sides offer a fun mix of long and short open drives. The backside being broken up from the monotony of back-and-forth baskets is great. Like stated before some of the best holes were left alone and the new lines for holes work great to move you from hole to hole still.
Cons: This is still a very open course and the Summer in Tennessee is brutal sometimes. Be prepared with sunscreen and look for the occasional shade. It is out there enough to cool one off for a minute.

I'm sure the course will be adding in some garbage cans and benches soon, but until then most haven't been taking their trash out with them and I'd recommend taking a small chair.

Carpet pads are in good shape now, but they always wear and I'm looking forward to the concrete pads.

As always with this course you will have alot of non-disc golfers around and should keep an eye out. Most holes avoid the bike path and pavilions though.
Other Thoughts: I love the new lines on this course and can't wait to get out there more often. I hope that the baskets are moved occasionally to see more and more of the new layout.

I like the one long tee pad used for holes 7 and 9. I could see some additional mandos through out the course to add challenge, but for the most part there is a good mix of RHBH/FH shots as well possible LH shots(?) to be played.

I will definitely make time to get this course back in my routine.