Layout Extinct

Loris, SC
Loris Nature Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: Citadelly Hole #5 (Taken 9/2011)
3 / 173ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Could be great.

5+    8/17/2011   8/17/2011
Review By: Brad bass
Pros: Front 9 Lots of shade, nice baskets. Many good shots to test your game. The woods are tuff in places tight fairways but for the most part shorter dist. Holes are short but challenging. It's free and quick if you want it to be
Cons: 7 is to close to the park and kids I love the hole but it can be tuff if there are people in the area. 10 is ok but it's made to seem worse because it's followed by four clones back to back to back to back. 11,12,13, and 14 are all the same if you can stay to the right you'll have no problem with the ditch 15-18 are good though long walk but won't kill you.
Other Thoughts: It's not hard to navigate at all there is a sing next to the t for 1 that will tell you where to go. The t for 1 is just a few feet up a sidewalk to the left of the pavilion in the parking area. This course could be very nice if we could do a few changes to the back maybe bring a few into the woods. I live close to this park and am out there often if your in the area and would like someone to show you around here or other local courses let me know and I'm always looking for other locals. Check out Myrtle beach area disc golf ok Facebook also. bradleyrbass@yahoo.com

best local course

5+    7/8/2011   7/12/2011
Review By: Hindenburg
Pros: front 9 are reasonably wooded creating plenty of shade and challenging approaches to the targets. Plenty of straight shots for long drives and short curved drives from tee to target to give you a great diversity to work on all aspects of your game. Hole 18 tees off over a lake.
Cons: Hole 3 is missing, holes 10-17 are very long straight shots and are very repetitive, so i usually just play the front 9. its also centered around a playground so you have to be wary of kids. There is no info about distance or any designated tee box so you have to tee off from the left or right of a post with the basket number in it.
Other Thoughts: we do a doubles round weekly with usually 6-8 people so if your a local and you wanna meet other players go to horrycountydiscgolf.com and sign up.

Has land and a lot of pontential

1    7/7/2011   7/8/2011
Review By: SunOnMySkin
Pros: This course has some distance holes. Deep baskets. It is very level. Only a few small slopes.Hole 18 was a beautiful hole with a perfectly laid out water trap.
Cons: The layout of this course has no imagination. Very basic and plain. Hole 3 didn't have a basket. Hole 11, 12, and 13 are very long and straight with a ditch of very nasty muck on the side. No loss disc but very fearful of leeches. Hole 7 was unplayable due to children on the playground. Very dangerous for the children. Long walk from hole 16 to 17 on the road. An even longer walk from 18 back to the parking area across the road. Not a lot of difficulty. Hole 18's water trap makes it very difficult to retrieve your disc even if you throw a floater. Very wide. Needs clearly defined Tee off pads. Signs needed to mark the hole, footage and par.
Other Thoughts: This course looks like it can/is be expanded and revised. I hope that in the future this grows to be a better course. It has great potential.

Where?

2-4    6/23/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Herd1978
Pros: Its free, and only about 15-20 min. from N. Myrtle Beach. The course has some challenging shots. I loved the 90 degree right turn on the back 9. Lots of opportunities to work on all facets of your game.
Cons: Layout! Where are the holes? #3 was missing when we were there...not sure if someone stole the basket or what. Also, on the back 9 we ended up missing like 3-4 holes. We walked "over the river and through the woods" and still never found a few of the holes.
Other Thoughts: I've played a good deal of courses, and most are usually setup in a design that you can eventually figure out where the holes are. NOT this one! Maybe the park can add signs to and from each hole to help out as you traverse the course.

Fun on the Grand Strand

1    6/20/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: This is a course that will test all aspects of the beginner's game. The front nine will test your accuracy with some incredibly narrow, tight fairways and a few almost unfair turns. The back nine will test your distance (and your endurance, as holes 10-14 are pretty much the same hole - see Cons.).

#17 is a fun hole to unload your bag on -- wide open and long. Played it better than I thought I would.
Cons: Tee signs are just a 4x4 with the hole number for now. No tee pads. Missing basket on #3. Back nine starts of with a string of holes that are pretty much the same thing over and over again. #7 is the most unsafe hole I've ever played -- hopefully it will be redesigned in the near future. If there had been kids on the playground I would have skipped it; my drive ended up hyzering out on me and landed under the equipment.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty good drive from Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle, but right now it's about the only option available. Factoring in gas, it was still cheaper for me to drive up here to play than drive to Tupelo Bay and play 18 there. With some fixing up and a bit of a redesign this will be a great course.

Pretty Good full course for the area, especially if you are on vacation.

1    6/20/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: Will Adams
Pros: This course is pretty good. The first 6 holes are pretty short and easy. Really try for your birdies here because the rest of the course gets a lot longer.
Cons: There are no arrows or markings directing you to the next tee from the basket and the tee itself is just a 4x4. There isn't a box or anything. Also, my friend and I couldn't find the third pin, so after ten minutes we just picked a tree to play to.
Other Thoughts: If you are on vacation in myrtle beach and you don't want to pay to play on a par 3, 9 hole golf course, this is your course. It took me 30 minutes to get here from ocean boulevard in north myrtle beach. I really enjoyed it, but compared to other courses I've played, I had to give it a 3. Worth the drive though. I'm here for 2 weeks, so if anyone wants to play, shoot me an email.

I hope you can throw flat & level or an Anhizer

1    5/22/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: Citadelly
Pros: -*Free*

-Well maintained course which is easy to navigate from hole to hole (So long as you look at the course map on the 1st hole & follow the pathways)

-Good views, seclusion from others on holes 3-6; 9-16, & 18.
Cons: -No tee pads

-Holes 7-8 go along side the kids playground

-Holes 11-16 have a stream/water on your left side. If you're able to throw straight or keep the disc to your right this won't be a factor. If you're a Noob like me I'd suggest finding a long branch in the nearby woods as you'll be fishing : )
Other Thoughts: -Overall I was pleased with this course! It presents lots of challenges & the 18th hole is just begging you to attempt clearing the water ; )

-In my opinion this course is above beginners level & requires a disc golfer who has control of their throws

Loris Course

2-4    3/26/2011   3/29/2011
Review By: SamuelCollins
Pros: I am just starting out in disc golf and have only been playing for 3 weeks. i like this course because it is close to home. it has many good and challenging holes and from playing here i have seen an improvement in my game.
Cons: most of the back holes are the same long holes, boring, repetitive, and unnecessary. the holes that play next to the play ground was a very stupid idea as my friend about killed 30 kids with a bad flick.(BING) the course could use tee pads and par/length plaques.
Other Thoughts: over all a decent course, i like the location and the environment I just think someone should rethink and move some of the holes. plenty of room why not use it.

Loris

5+    4/17/2011   3/28/2011
Review By: BING
This review was updated on 4/22/2011
Pros: Great baskets and some hard to hit holes. Has woods and open along with a shot across a pond. Water holes always add a little extra fun to the game. This course has EVERY HOLE you can ask for. Straight holes, woods holes, cross the pond hole, and OB holes that make you work for par.
Cons: Could list them but doesn't matter. Most of the holes will be fixed in few months or less. Have a good crew already for this course. Visit www.horrycountydiscgolf.com

Other Thoughts: Looking to get new pin and tee locations for alot of holes out there so please check back in a few weeks and I'll update with new info.

4/22/11

Loris Has Some Land, 18 Baskets and a Lot of Potential

1    8/22/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: tymeframe
Pros: Loris, South Carolina, population: 2,000, has a disc golf course. Great job Loris/Horry County!

It plays decent with the front nine requiring some very short technical shots, while the back nine is more open and a lot longer.

The blue DISCatcher baskets are really nice and give the course a signature feel.

Hole 18 is a fun shot.

There's a lot of potential here.
Cons: The course doesn't make use of the park area. If you look at the course map that RussMB made under Links/Files (great job on that RussMB, we referenced it often while we were there!) you can clearly see what I'm referring to.

It could be that the unused area is reserved for a future ball field or tennis court. Either way, I feel that the front nine doesn't have to be as dinky and tight as it currently is, and that the back nine doesn't have to be as repetitive as it is.

Holes 10 and 11 share the same fairway.

The biggest con is that the playground comes into play on hole 7. This is extremely dangerous, especially for players that would insist on playing the hole when there are children in the playground. This hole needs to be moved to a safer area, otherwise I'd advise you to skip this hole if ANYONE is in the playground. I throw mainly backhand. The best way for me to reach the basket on this hole was to throw a slight anhyzer over the playground equipment. Terribly bad hole design on this one.
Other Thoughts: Again, I'm not sure what the unused area of the park is for, but if a course designer could look at it, I'm sure a fun course could be built that would bring more players to the area, and keep them coming back.