Course Extinct
Wayland, MI
BlueGill DGC Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #3 (Taken 8/2011)
3 / --   3 / --   3 / --   3 / 240ft. Par / Distance:

Disc Golf Wonderland

1    4/11/2012   4/13/2012
Review By: pacanova
Pros: -Every hole offers it's own unique challenge
-Very peacful surroundings.
-Beautifully maintained.
-Very risk-reward oriented.
-Joe is the man! He greeted us as soon as we arrived on his property (probably to make sure we weren't trouble makers) and gave us a quick run down on the layout. He even brought us a scorecard on the 3rd when he realized the box was empty.
Cons: -As mentioned, the rubber teepads could use some love. I actually like dirt tees though, so 18-24 were some of my best drives.
-Signs would be nice for some of the blind holes.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely a course to play for par and take birdies as they come. If you get too cocky, Bluegill will put you in your place. Just relax and throw the shots you know, you might just surprise yourself (as I did) with your score at the end of the round. I have no idea how I will be after the 2 round tourney this weekend.

Tough but fair

1    2/4/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a beautiful piece of Michigan forest surrounding a private home. There's a little bit of everything here, lots of variety and lots of fun. There are all kinds of different lengths, from some tricky ace runs to some longer shots where you have more of a chance to rip a drive. A handful of the holes play out in grassy fields, a few of these have slightly protected pins or rollaway potential, and this is where most of the distance on the course comes into play. A few holes play over and along a series of small ponds offering some great risk/reward decisions. Each has a safer option and an option to go for the ace or deuce that brings the water more into play.

The remainder of the holes play through Michigan woods, with some nice tight fairways and enough rough to make you pay for an errant shot. Throughout the course elevation comes into play, with some nice tricky greens and a mix of uphill and downhill shots. One of the most memorable holes is a very aceable downhill shot that's so short and steep that the challenge is not going long (especially with water lurking long and left of the pin). The tighter holes offer a great balance of left and right turning shots, with a couple s-curves or dead straight shots mixed in, you'll need lots of different line shaping skills to be successful here.

The property is beautiful, and it's obvious a ton of work has gone into this course. The wooded fairways are clear, and the grassy areas are nicely mowed. Joe was kind enough to meet us early in the morning, driving me around the course so we wouldn't have trouble following the layout. The course gets limited traffic but even so it was nice to see no trash anywhere on the course.
Cons: The course is limited access, mostly only open for events and by invitation. 18 of the tees are rubber, several are lumpy or torn, none are a big enough deal to majorly affect footing. 6 tees are natural, these still need a little work and were generally a bit rough. There is no signage, understandable on a private course, but it would be a little tough to follow without a guide or a quick tour of the course by the owner. The map available online is out of date and doesn't reflect the current layout.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast here, and will definitely be back to play again. BlueGill would be a little much for most beginners, with lots of challenge and some opportunities to lose plastic. More experienced players will enjoy the variety, and will find many different skills tested here in a beautiful and secluded setting.

Best Course in Michigan??????

2-4    10/8/2011   10/9/2011
Review By: Emoney
Pros: Let me start by sayin "HOLY SH*T"! I wish i had played this course sooner. This course has every shot and terrain you could want from a course. It has a crazy amount of elevation changes, WATER holes (9,10,11,12) tight holes, field holes, long holes, short technical holes, O.B. Holes ( rope defines O.B.), guarded greens , elevated baskets, sloped greens with 100ft + dropoffs behind the bucket. Everything!
Also, every hole makes sense and has no repetition at all. Each holes makes sense and presents a new challenge. Also the open holes have O.B. Ropes or guarded baskets with insane dropoffs ( sometimes both). There are no "bland" holes out here, or gimmes, u have to work for your score on every hole.
This course even has water holes (9,10,11,12) and one is amazing (#11). I played a tourney there and in the 2 groups i was in and the two groups behind us, i seen 9 discs go in the water that day. I can only imagine how many more went "in" on 10 and 11.Hole #11 is evil, it offers you a huge hyzer spike(rhbh), a straight shot, or a thumber/tomo BUT there is a narrow landing area(20ft across) to get a putt, its my favorite hole.
The baskets were in great shape and had double chains. There were trash cans around the course and it was very very clean. I think 18 holes had rubber mats with little "bluegill fish" shaped plates with hole number and distance. The additional 6 holes were dirt teepads. The scenery was amazing. They even had kool running "oil pump horse lookin things" ( sry not sure what there called). These added to the many memories i will have of this place.
Cons: I know ppl that played this course will get mad at me for only rating a 4.5, but the rating system on this site says a "5" is a perfect course. While bluegill is a 5 in almost every way, i have to stay fair to this sites rating system. I know i will get ppls "thumbs down" but i have to be fair.
Ok, couple cons that make this course a 4.5.
* The rubber teepads are mildly lumpy and a couple had chunks missing, also had 6 holes that were dirt with no distance marker. I wish i had the money to buy concrete pads for joe.
* The flow of the course is akward at numerous points, it has you backtrack or not sure where to go. Its a private course so its not a huge issue but if i went alone i would be lost.
* Its a private course and invitation only. I wish he would let more ppl on it so they can donate money and get this course some nice concrete pads and signage.
Other Thoughts: This course has everything and is the best course i have played. Its just a little rough around the edges with the teepads and signage. We all know this course is a 5 and i will update my review when i see this course fix these minor issues. Flip city is my only 5 rated course because it has these finishing touches that bluegill doensnt, that being said, bluegill is a better "disc golf" course. Blue gill is where you come when you want to play the sport and have a challenge, Flip City is more of a relaxing and fun experience for any level of player.
BlueGill is the real deal and it is definitly championship caliber. The best pro score that day was 4 under and that was no walk in the park.
I hope everyone that can , gets a chance to play this course. I just wish it was more available to the public but that would probably just hurt it.

Thx joe, your course it at the top of my list!

Almost...

1    5/7/2011   5/10/2011
Review By: MIdisc1
This review was updated on 9/23/2011
Pros: One of the most beautiful and challenging courses i've played. Very well maitaned with the best use of water i've ever seen. The pin placement and use of obstacles were very challenging but really fun to play. The course was up to 23 holes when I played, with a tee pad (but no basket) for 24. It was a blast playing out there and Joe was great.
Cons: The reason I didn't give this course a 5 was I really didn't feel like the course was complete yet. The ribbions that mark your path through the course can become confusing leaving you searching for the next hole. Also I don't remember ever seeing a seat or "chill" area anywhere on the course. These are minor complaints, the course is very good, but there is still some rawness to it.
Other Thoughts: Great job with the course Joe, I really look forward to playing it again.