Smyrna, TN
Sharp Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #18 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 327ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Big Brother of Rutherford Counties Barfield Course

2-4    7/22/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: The Uncle
Pros: Long yardage holes, Mach 5 baskets in good condition, well maintained, great mix of long, short, wooded, open, and difficulty.
Cons: Mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos. Unfortunately its been bad the 2 times I have played but apparently is better in the fall or early spring.
Other Thoughts: I tossed some plastic in a tree that required me to use about 20 mins to get down and I was overwhelmed with bug bites and it ended my round as soon as it started. I'll be back.

One of the best I've played

1    5/28/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: Anthony
Pros: Very well designed, well thought out course. Lots of varied terrain and a lot of shade, only a few open holes where the sun can be a killer.
Cons: Needs a few more signs marking the way, some baskets have 4 or 5 little trails running off of them and since if was my first time playing the course I didn't know which way to go.
Tee pad signs on 5 and 6 were missing.
Other Thoughts: I like the multiple basket locations for each hole but it would be nice if they had a way of letting you know which location a basket is in at the tee box.

Fun mix of holes

2-4    8/21/2011   9/14/2010
Review By: weeman
This review was updated on 8/23/2011
Pros: Right off the bat, you step into the woods for some good golf. The course is pretty secluded from most other activities in the park, save from a running/walking trail near several of the open holes. Each hole has multiple pin placements but as I've only played here once, I don't know how often they get changed up. Nice new tee signs are included at every hole with each indicating which sleeve the basket is in. The holes have an ever changing variety from one to the next. Tee pads are good sized but can become slick during/after any rain. The wooded holes provide a good challenge of hitting your lines to have a chance at birdie. The wooded rough wasn't so overwhelming that it would cost you two/three strokes but you definitely don't want to go in there! The open holes typically have more length than the woods. The open holes on the front nine played around a cornfield, so that added a nice change to the "rough" instead of just trees. In multiple places there's several additions that made this course even more enjoyable to play. Paths from green to the next tee pad, wood barriers to prevent erosion around the course, and staircases to keep from traversing slick/muddy paths were all available on Sharp Springs.
Cons: The course is laid out in a mostly flat part of the park with only a couple holes that I noticed went up or down in elevation. Really the open holes didn't do much for me. Most all were wide open with 80' wide fairways lined with woods on one side, a cornfield on the other and no obstacles between the tee pad and basket. It would be wise to bring bug spray and to use it liberally here as the bugs can be fierce especially after a rainstorm.
Other Thoughts: Sharp Springs is really a fun course to get out to play and definitely would play tougher in tournaments. Course has a good variety of short, long, left, right, and straight shots that can be beneficial to master for less skilled players.

5+    3/20/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: msudog_
Pros: This is one of the better designed courses in the area. Lots of variety from open to wooded holes, dogleg lefts and rights, mandos, water, and multiple baskets on several holes. I'm pretty sure I used every disc in my bag and every shot I know.

The course is maintained very well, and while I was playing there were several holes that were in the process of being mulched again.

There is an alternate tee for 3 that plays over a lake/pond. I've never seen it, but it looks like a fun throw. 9 also has a small pond you throw over, but the hole is only 207 ft. It's an easy shot, but for some reason I still get nervous, although this last time I was out there it was dry.

I felt like this course really tested me. I really enjoy the challenges this course offers. I'm enjoying myself just sitting here daydreaming about all the different shots.

I would say it's fairly beginner friendly, but some shots are pretty tight. I don't think it's a crowded course either. It was a beautiful Saturday, and the course seemed to be flowing well, although there are hardly any parking spots next to the first tee. You may have drive up to a pavilion to park.
Cons: The biggest con, and the worst one I have encountered yet, are the mosquitoes. Although they are not out yet this year, they are horrible come summer/fall. The first time I played this course was last summer. I managed to throw my drive on the first hole before I left to get some bug spray. I'm telling you, it's like I was a walking blood bank giving out free samples. After I lathered up, I was still getting eat up.

Because the mosquitoes are so bad, I didn't return to the course until December when I new it would be mosquito free.If it wasn't for the mosquitoes, this could be my favorite course in the area. Unfortunately, I will only play this course between December-April. I may go there if some friends really want to play, but I will never go on my own.

There were maybe 2 holes that didn't seem to have a clear fairway, and there are a few places where a next tee sign would be helpful.

Really are not too many cons to this course for me, just a major bug problem. They have a tournament called the Skeeter Heater during the summer. I think the local club uses the "tournament" to sacrifice unsuspecting competitors to the mosquito god.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, I really like this course. I just hate the bugs!

As of today here are my favorite Nashville area courses:

1. Cedar Hill Park
2. Crockett Park
3. Liberty Park
4. Sharp Springs Park
5. Barfield Crescent Park
6. Seven Oaks Park
7. Two Rivers

I haven't played Sanders Ferry, Cedars of Lebanon, or Triple Creek.

Fun Challenging Course

1    11/10/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: atl scott
Pros: This course will test every shot in your bag due to the amount of trees on the course as well as the ample use of elevation change and doglegs that require particular accuracy.

The course lets you feel miles away from anything else.

The course is well maintained with a generous amount of wooden stairs and crushed gravel paths.

There were bathrooms available at the entry of the park.

Only 5 miles from I-24 so great for passers-through.
Cons: Several trees should be removed on several holes to make the holes a better test of skill. Holes 1 long, 16 right, and 17 long come to mind. That said I have only played this course once and not with a local so perhaps I just need to learn the routes...

Several holes were WIDE open (and sometimes with no elevation change) and very boring. Holes 4, 6, and 15 come to mind although I understand that in season the corn helps this a bit.

Can be somewhat difficult to find your way a couple of times (I had an especially difficult time finding hole 4 (after playing hole 3a and never finding the teepad for 3 even though I found the basket).

Razor wire along fence on right on hole 6 was a bit discouraging. It would be nice to have a system in place to recover lost discs from whatever that place was or a number on the tee you can call.
Other Thoughts: I think a sign at the beginning of the course to explain how the alternate holes are to be used if you don't want to play the original water holes would be helpful. I wasn't sure if they were alternates that were set up some of the time instead of the originals or what so it left me confused on which way to go.

I especially liked holes 9 and 13.

Hole 9 had a huge nasty swamp you had to throw across but the hole was 175ish feet and straight. The swamp adds a nice element of gut check and I hate that it sounds like it isn't there all the time.

Hole 13 requires a shot that I don't think I have ever had to throw before on a course from a tee or fairway! (see course pics!) I had to laugh when I saw the basket through the hole cut through the woods on the right. I remembered to look through the hole at the basket at the last second before my shot landed and got to see it sail right in front of the basket! What a great feeling...

Other well designed holes include 7, 12, and 14.

Overall the fun factor was high on this course. It pushed my skills at the same time and I can't wait to play it again (hopefully with some locals).

Solid course and good challange.I wish there was a 3.75

1    1/15/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: This is a very challenging and somewhat technical course with lots to offer. I consider it to be a very good representation of what a solid disc golf course should be. Beginners and advanced players should both expect to be entertained and your skills will defiantly be tested at some point during the round. Some would agree that it has multiple signature holes. You will also find that this course is very well maintained, clean, and safe.

First off there is a pretty incredible variety of hole types and shots needed. Although there are not many major elevation changes you probably won't notice. After all, the doglegs, open shots, tight shots, length variety, and the precision that's needed will keep your mind occupied. Throughout the course you can't get away with half hearted shots either. There are pretty good hazards scattered around too. They included but not limited to a lake, corn fields that eat discs(not an issue in winter), roads and paths, and fences that keep you out of private property running along the fairway. There's even a seasonal retention pond with some nasty water to throw across on number nine. Speaking of nine, it has a really nice layout with the basket mounted up on a boulder that is pretty unique and really fun. It's my favorite hole on the course. Number fifteen's open, gradual 275' +/- downhill was also quite fun and screams ace run all the way! To sum it up, this course has a good lay out, has good variety, it's really fun, and it's an affectionately tough course.

The amenities are average. Concrete tee pads are always a plus. Benches are scattered around but make for a nice addition. The new steps at hole one are really nice too. Tee signs are sufficient for the cause but could be improved by installing ones that are professionally made. There are some gravel paths leading the way between some of the holes that lend a hand as far as navigation is concerned. The baskets are also in pretty good shape relatively speaking. Some have flags or have been painted to help you spot them in the woods. I liked the practice basket in the field near the parking lot. It is big enough to practice some decent drives and obviously throw a few putts too. The parking is quite convenient and in an area where I don't think you'll be broken into very easily. It would appear there is a really strong group of locals that take pride and more importantly care of this course. Kudos to them! It's very evident. I thoroughly enjoy this course.
Cons: I must admit that I have not played during mosquito season but I think we can all agree that they are very frustrating. It sounds like they are particularly bad here in the summer. Bring the spray for sure!

It can be a little confusing to navigate in a place or two your first time out. Bring a map and you are good to go. After you play through once you'll have no problems.

It can be little marshy on the six/seven fairway area. There is also private/government property (water authority) blocked by a fence on the right side in this area. An errant shot could leave you you contenplating whether it's worth going after. We all want our discs back but it didn't seem like a place you would want to be caught trespassing. Just be careful if you try to retrieve your disc.
Other Thoughts: The park itself is nice as well. There are a few other activities you can take advantage of while you are there. Most notably were the paved bike paths, ball fields, and the pavilions. Fishing is an option too I guess if you are into that.

If you are in the Nashville area, try to play this course. Nashville has some great courses and this may be one that is easily overlooked. Even a decent drive won't leave you disappointed. Enjoy!