Smyrna, TN
Sharp Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #15 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #15 Approach

Good Discin'

1    5/3/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: etaylor777
Pros: This course has an awesome layout. Easy navagation. Plenty of risk/reward. Decent signage. Well manicured. Nice and quiet area of the park with little to no interaction with other park patrons. I had heard plenty of good things about the course and was not disappointed at all.
Cons: I am a big fan of water shots. Unfortunetly on this day, the water was almost completely dried up. Other than that, there was a lot of spider webs. I probably walked through a couple dozen of them.lol
Other Thoughts: All though I lost the very first disc that I had ever found, I still had a most excellent time.

1    4/28/2012   5/3/2012
Review By: tamahawk
Pros:
Sharp Springs is a solid all-around course with a fun layout and great variation in design features. The course has Mach baskets with multiple positions on 12 of the holes, single position concrete tee pads that are in good shape, and nice, new color tee signs that depict hole locations and distance along with an indicator for current pin position.

The variation of the layout is one of my favorite things about Sharp Springs. The course takes you in and out of the woods providing both open and technical lines, gives you a good mix of left/right/straight fairways, and offers a good variety in distance ranging from 193ft to 600+ft. The course flows well from hole to hole but navigation can be tricky in a couple of spots if you aren't familiar with the layout (detailed map is available on the links tab, would recommend for first timers). The wooded holes have fair fairways, and the more open holes have fairways that are shaped by cornfields, fencing , tree lines, and out-of-bounds, which helps add to the aesthetic appeal and challenge of the open areas. The terrain is mostly flat with minimal elevations located throughout the course.

The stair-stepped green/approach on the first hole is a nice feature, and utilization of the water on 3 and 9 makes a couple of really neat golf holes. Hole 13 was very interesting as well, especially the small clearing in the trees for visibility of the basket location, very tempting (but high risk) to shoot for the tiny gap. There is a practice area/basket for warming up before your round, and the course appears to be kept up very well. The extra holes/tees on #3 and #9 are a great feature for beginners and unseasoned players who may not be able to make the shots from the long pads.
Cons:
-The rough is very thick in some parts of the course, easy to lose discs.
-Mosquitos were terrible, even with spray.
-A couple of flat/low areas retain water.
-Minor navigation issues-Use map.
The course is fun and offers a variety of challenges for players of all skill levels. I would consider this course to be one of the top 3 in the Nashville area, definitely worth the stop if you are in the area.

Well Maintained Course

1    4/28/2012   5/1/2012
Review By: K_Woodcock
Pros: I loved this course. It is very well maintained and lots of ground work done to make it nice on the eyes. Compared to many of the other middle TN courses it is very well done.
Cons: I hear there are lots of bugs in the summer but I didn't have any problem with them so, I don't have any cons.
Other Thoughts: Seven Oaks and Cedar Hill are my two favorite in Middle TN and after playing Sharp Springs it is now right up there, if not the best.

Favorite in Middle TN

5+    3/31/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: TNDiscGolfer
This review was updated on 2/16/2013
Pros: This course has a outstanding layout compared to Barfield Crescent down the road. Very good mixture of wooded holes and open holes. Some holes have beautiful scenery that makes you just sit back and enjoy sometimes. The wooded holes are tricky but not impossible. Seems like they take very good care of the course as far as cutting away tree limbs, maintenance of holes and tees, etc. Will be challenging for the beginner and even the pro's. Benches at every other hole and also trash cans.
Cons: Not many cons except kids usually blare their music when coming into the parking area so its hard to tune it out on hole #1 and #12 but those are very small problems. Bugs are heavy during spring and summer so spray some OFF on you.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in TN so far and its 10 minutes from my house. I love to come here just about every other day and let 'er rip! I would recommend this course to anyone if your in the area or even a out of towner. You wont be disappointed at all!

A Must.

5+    2/26/2012   3/11/2012
Review By: entangled
Pros: Lots of variety. NIce blend of long distance drives and short tight woodsy shots.
Beautiful clean course that is fun with challenges. Excellent water shots with alternates for scaredy cats. The pads and signs are pretty good and there are some benches and trash cans.
Cons: Being the only place to play in Smyrna this place is usually packed on a good nice day, so be prepared for patience. You also have your typical Tennessee course issues like nature and weather. It gets very hot and sticky here in the Summer and the ticks, mosquitoes and other critters are definitely a factor. Fall and late winter are perfect though.
Other Thoughts: My first ace was on number 9 over the swamp thing, which was my favorite hole that I would tell people about all the time. Lord of the Rings looking shot. It congratulated me for complimenting and promoting it with so much high praise I think.
I live very close to Cedar Hill and frequent all of the great courses in the area and this one sticks out as my favorite. I love Seven Oaks but there are too many woods and you don't get to pull out the drivers enough for my liking. I call this place Seven Oaks on steroids.

List of my favorite MIddle TN. courses:
1. Sharp Springs has everything all of our courses offer in one course.
2. Cedar Hill-.
3. Crockett Park-
4. Seven Oaks-
5. Barfield-

Tennessee Swamp

1    5/14/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: jsbatte
Pros: I love the practice range. The first hole is extremely fun. The park is massive, but the course is in the back away from everything. Good Variety.
Cons: I'm from Florida and grew up playing baseball. Night after night I would go home with at least 20 mosquito bites (even when caked in repellent). This course was a mosquito pit (thus my subpar review). I can stand one or two mosquito bites, but after I killed one that had just landed on me and got blood all over my leg, I was out. This course is only five minutes away from me, but I refuse to play it until it cools off. Also, I refuse to play over the water on this course. I found an alternate for 9, but not the first water hole.
Other Thoughts: I ran into some nice folks, but I went out to use the practice range one day, and a couple pulled up and sat in their car, making out. It was a little awkward.

Another TN gem

1    9/23/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
This review was updated on 3/31/2012
Pros: Lots of challenge and variety. Good concrete tee pads. Signs showing hole layout and multiple basket positions. There are heavily wooded holes, and holes with wide open fairways so you can really air it out. Most of the open hole have basket placements that are in wooded areas to add to the challenge. There are a few ace possibilities, but for the most part you need to earn everything you get. Course is located in a huge park. Lots of running, walking and biking opportunities. Course is separated from the rest of the park activities.
Cons: Shule can be thick and nasty in spots. Signs are old and could use an upgrade. Baskets are also older and could use some colors to help them stand out.
Other Thoughts: There are some really good holes on this course. 4 stands out to me as it is about a 200' shot over a large pond. The wind caught my Roc today and caused a nice splash down. Damn! I'm sure some pond-rat will enjoy the lightly beaten KC Pro donation. Hole 10 tees off from a hill, goes through the trees, over a small pond and into some large rocks at about 220'. Just a sweet ace run with some risk added in if you nail a tree or miss your line. There is also some risk if you hit the rocks and roll towards the water.

Overall this is just a real strong, varied course. Lots of woods, lefts and rights. Typical of the very good courses in the Nashville area. If you live in the South and rate the Charlotte area as the best there is, then don't sleep on Nashville courses. This course is typical of the quality you can expect.

March 2012 Update - Played this course again finally. Some very nice work has been done. Some drainage and erosion issues have been fixed with a very nice landscaping job on the #1 hole. They still have huge concrete pads, but it looks like some improved signs have been added. Everything is very clean and well kept. Still some nasty rough that can eat discs, but this course is tough and fair all the way around. Great mix of tight, fun wooded holes and longer open holes. But even the open holes play around heavily wooded areas so you are forced to hit lines and make shots.

The pond shot is actually about 275' or so to the pin. You need to clear about 200' of water and make it through a few trees to get to the basket. A really fun shot.

A few of the holes seem like they've added some longer, tougher alternate basket positions. Nice change if you want to see what you're really made of. I'd highly recommend this course to anyone lucky enough to be in the Nashville area.

Fun mix of holes

2-4    8/21/2011   9/14/2010
Review By: weeman
This review was updated on 8/23/2011
Pros: Right off the bat, you step into the woods for some good golf. The course is pretty secluded from most other activities in the park, save from a running/walking trail near several of the open holes. Each hole has multiple pin placements but as I've only played here once, I don't know how often they get changed up. Nice new tee signs are included at every hole with each indicating which sleeve the basket is in. The holes have an ever changing variety from one to the next. Tee pads are good sized but can become slick during/after any rain. The wooded holes provide a good challenge of hitting your lines to have a chance at birdie. The wooded rough wasn't so overwhelming that it would cost you two/three strokes but you definitely don't want to go in there! The open holes typically have more length than the woods. The open holes on the front nine played around a cornfield, so that added a nice change to the "rough" instead of just trees. In multiple places there's several additions that made this course even more enjoyable to play. Paths from green to the next tee pad, wood barriers to prevent erosion around the course, and staircases to keep from traversing slick/muddy paths were all available on Sharp Springs.
Cons: The course is laid out in a mostly flat part of the park with only a couple holes that I noticed went up or down in elevation. Really the open holes didn't do much for me. Most all were wide open with 80' wide fairways lined with woods on one side, a cornfield on the other and no obstacles between the tee pad and basket. It would be wise to bring bug spray and to use it liberally here as the bugs can be fierce especially after a rainstorm.
Other Thoughts: Sharp Springs is really a fun course to get out to play and definitely would play tougher in tournaments. Course has a good variety of short, long, left, right, and straight shots that can be beneficial to master for less skilled players.

1    8/19/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: siscownage
Pros: Very well maintained, friendly folks, a solid course that will challenge amateurs and pros alike. I have played almost all of the courses in middle Tennessee, and this one is the most balanced and fun to play of all of them.
Cons: Mosquitoes can be almost unbearable sometimes, gets very crowded around 5 o'clock on most days.
Other Thoughts: A deceivingly difficult course that has really helped out my game tremendously since I play on it the most. The only other course I have played in middle Tennessee that I personally found to be more difficult was Cedar Hill. But, the overall difficulty does nothing to take away from the great balance this course has.

What a find!!

2-4    8/12/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: LOTS of variety out here. Shots into the woods/ shots out of the woods/2 water hazards/corn hazards. Nice benches and concrete tee pads at every hole. Beautiful course.
Cons: The only con I can think of are the small crappy tee signs but they gave us a good idea of where the next basket was so no big deal. Also, I would have liked a tee sign at 3a.
Other Thoughts: This course was a lot of fun and well worth the drive. We played through twice before noon and only saw 2 other people the whole morning. Also, I have seen people in the reviews having trouble finding 3a (the water hazard). If you take an immediate right after basket 2 you will see a trail that crosses the road. The tee for 3a is right next to the water to the left of the park signage. Also, the mosquitos were not near as big a problem as I thought they would be by reading the other reviews. Just grab some bug spray and it's a non-issue.