Smyrna, TN
Sharp Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #18 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 327ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Approach

Very nice indeed.

1    4/2/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: ShopTom.com
Pros: Extremely well maintained, the locals should be proud of themselves. They were also friendly while we slow played until they could pass on the next hole. Info signs are always greatly appreciated even if they are paper.
Cons: My score was lousy, but it wasn't your fault! I expect to do much better next time through when I have an idea what is going on. Minor navigation issues as expected from the other reviews so no stress there.
Other Thoughts: Based on the prior reviews I chose this course while traveling by and was impressed. The variety of shots needed was challenging and enjoyable at my average skill level. I will go out of my way to play this course again.

5+    3/20/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: msudog_
Pros: This is one of the better designed courses in the area. Lots of variety from open to wooded holes, dogleg lefts and rights, mandos, water, and multiple baskets on several holes. I'm pretty sure I used every disc in my bag and every shot I know.

The course is maintained very well, and while I was playing there were several holes that were in the process of being mulched again.

There is an alternate tee for 3 that plays over a lake/pond. I've never seen it, but it looks like a fun throw. 9 also has a small pond you throw over, but the hole is only 207 ft. It's an easy shot, but for some reason I still get nervous, although this last time I was out there it was dry.

I felt like this course really tested me. I really enjoy the challenges this course offers. I'm enjoying myself just sitting here daydreaming about all the different shots.

I would say it's fairly beginner friendly, but some shots are pretty tight. I don't think it's a crowded course either. It was a beautiful Saturday, and the course seemed to be flowing well, although there are hardly any parking spots next to the first tee. You may have drive up to a pavilion to park.
Cons: The biggest con, and the worst one I have encountered yet, are the mosquitoes. Although they are not out yet this year, they are horrible come summer/fall. The first time I played this course was last summer. I managed to throw my drive on the first hole before I left to get some bug spray. I'm telling you, it's like I was a walking blood bank giving out free samples. After I lathered up, I was still getting eat up.

Because the mosquitoes are so bad, I didn't return to the course until December when I new it would be mosquito free.If it wasn't for the mosquitoes, this could be my favorite course in the area. Unfortunately, I will only play this course between December-April. I may go there if some friends really want to play, but I will never go on my own.

There were maybe 2 holes that didn't seem to have a clear fairway, and there are a few places where a next tee sign would be helpful.

Really are not too many cons to this course for me, just a major bug problem. They have a tournament called the Skeeter Heater during the summer. I think the local club uses the "tournament" to sacrifice unsuspecting competitors to the mosquito god.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, I really like this course. I just hate the bugs!

As of today here are my favorite Nashville area courses:

1. Cedar Hill Park
2. Crockett Park
3. Liberty Park
4. Sharp Springs Park
5. Barfield Crescent Park
6. Seven Oaks Park
7. Two Rivers

I haven't played Sanders Ferry, Cedars of Lebanon, or Triple Creek.

Well Maintained

1    3/19/2010   3/20/2010
Review By: Lovan
This review was updated on 4/4/2010
Pros: Love the wooded holes reminds me of playing back home. Love the elevation changes not so many by the beach. I like the mix of open and wooded holes.
Cons: some holes can be hard to find.
lol not sure how much i liked the tight shot through the hole in the woods.
Other Thoughts: Lost brand new T-Bone on whole 9, what an awful bounce off a tree.

hate then loved

1    3/2/2010   3/2/2010
Review By: jacob2918
Cons: I played this course once and got lost. i hated it. But i went back yesterday for the first time in 4 months and absolutely loved it! theres some amazing wooded holes that have plenty of lines to the basket. and some open holes where long bombs are needed. hole 9 isdefinitely the signature hole! almost brought a tear to my eye lol i didnt want to leave it. hole 13 will make you laugh out loud. you can lay up or shoot a lazer straight shot through a tunnel that starts 50 ft away and is literally 4 ft wide! hole 15 will give you a great ace run being 270 ft down hill and wide open.plenty of benches and trashcans. helpful locals and great use of land. my new fav. course!
Other Thoughts: cons. hard to find hole 4 but once found the other holes just flow. during summer lots of thorn bushes! dont wana shank one. tons of mosquitos! and no where to park on busy days.

Fun Challenging Course

1    11/10/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: atl scott
Pros: This course will test every shot in your bag due to the amount of trees on the course as well as the ample use of elevation change and doglegs that require particular accuracy.

The course lets you feel miles away from anything else.

The course is well maintained with a generous amount of wooden stairs and crushed gravel paths.

There were bathrooms available at the entry of the park.

Only 5 miles from I-24 so great for passers-through.
Cons: Several trees should be removed on several holes to make the holes a better test of skill. Holes 1 long, 16 right, and 17 long come to mind. That said I have only played this course once and not with a local so perhaps I just need to learn the routes...

Several holes were WIDE open (and sometimes with no elevation change) and very boring. Holes 4, 6, and 15 come to mind although I understand that in season the corn helps this a bit.

Can be somewhat difficult to find your way a couple of times (I had an especially difficult time finding hole 4 (after playing hole 3a and never finding the teepad for 3 even though I found the basket).

Razor wire along fence on right on hole 6 was a bit discouraging. It would be nice to have a system in place to recover lost discs from whatever that place was or a number on the tee you can call.
Other Thoughts: I think a sign at the beginning of the course to explain how the alternate holes are to be used if you don't want to play the original water holes would be helpful. I wasn't sure if they were alternates that were set up some of the time instead of the originals or what so it left me confused on which way to go.

I especially liked holes 9 and 13.

Hole 9 had a huge nasty swamp you had to throw across but the hole was 175ish feet and straight. The swamp adds a nice element of gut check and I hate that it sounds like it isn't there all the time.

Hole 13 requires a shot that I don't think I have ever had to throw before on a course from a tee or fairway! (see course pics!) I had to laugh when I saw the basket through the hole cut through the woods on the right. I remembered to look through the hole at the basket at the last second before my shot landed and got to see it sail right in front of the basket! What a great feeling...

Other well designed holes include 7, 12, and 14.

Overall the fun factor was high on this course. It pushed my skills at the same time and I can't wait to play it again (hopefully with some locals).

Technical and challenging

1    11/2/2009   11/2/2009
Review By: dud317
Pros: Beautiful and well maintained course. About half wooded and half wide open holes allow for variety. Not busy during the week. Concrete tees and hole maps every hole. It's a very peaceful place to play.
Cons: Some holes require practically threading a needle to drive, so luck can come into play. Next hole indicators are present near the pins, but sometimes difficult to find. There are a few places to lose a disc if you're not careful, including a private highly secured fence on the right on hole 6 or 7 that definitely does not allow trespassers. There's plenty of room to the left to play it safe though.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for hole 9, it's a big pond between you and the pin, surrounded by trees. There is an alternate hole 9 without water, for the less experienced and less adventurous players like myself. I played in the fall, so while I didn't have the corn rows to contend with, leaves covered the ground in the woods making it a little difficult to find a disc. I found myself wanting to mulligan about every hole just because it was so fun. Depending how many discs you have, you may need to use all or most of them because a variety of shots are required. I've been playing for 3 months and I shot a 62.

Best Course in Middle TN

1    10/11/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: tjonesbusiness
Pros: Very well laid out, good mix of woods and open areas, scenary is great, you will find experienced players there
Cons: wish it was closer to Nashville
Other Thoughts: I was extremely impressed with Sharp Springs. I play Cedar Hill quite often but SS adds a different feel and challenge. The couse is very well kept up. It is very challenging BUT not impossible. If you throw a good shot, it is very rewarding. If you get stuck, you're in a world of hurt. Well worth the drive. Bring bug spray.

1    8/3/2009   9/17/2009
Review By: ahaas
Pros: Starting from hole one, you just get the feeling you are going to enjoy playing this course. Hole one is a moderately long 324 ft hole through a mildly narrow fairway in the woods. It has a gentle left to right turn. Though a good hole, I wasn't enamored with the hole 9 signature hole. It is a 200 ft straight and narrow shot through beautiful woods opening over a murky watery pit and finishing with the hole at the top of ledge. There is no room for error. If you make a mistake, you are not going to regret it a little, you are going to regret it a lot. On the other hand, I loved the other signature hole, number 3. Hole 5 is one of many holes that is a good test of accuracy and shot control through woods. Many of the holes are fairly open. It is good course with some challenging holes.
Cons: I had a very hard time finding some holes. I should have brought a map. The holes need better marking to indicate where the next one is. I almost got lost looking for hole six after finishing hole 5. I was lucky and was able to team up with a local player to play the rest of the round.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course that I wouldn't mind playing again. While the course has many skill shots, it doesn't require a great variety of shots. You are not going to need to use a wide selection of the disks in your bag.

5+    9/11/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: trippin4knuggs
Pros: Tons of recent rennovations. Great course set up; hard to get lost.
Cons: Discs can be lost a bit more easily. Many thick trees, water hazards, bushes... etc.
Other Thoughts: Well shaded... Bring bug spray or you'll be sorry

Sharp Springs disc golf course: Smyrna, TN

5+    8/23/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: slowRoll
This review was updated on 9/15/2010
Pros: This course's pin positions change on a regular basis, there are great tight fairways and length to challenge the advanced golfer. Two signature holes come to mind with hole 3 drive needing to carry to make the bank on the other side of the pond and the cliff hole that is hole 9. If you want to get better at disc golf, play this course. The local club shovels a ridiculous amount of mulch and gravel, gravel walk paths between holes, mulch everywhere...feels like country club disc golfing.
Cons: Mosquitoes are bad in the spring, bring bug spray. Large crowds on beautiful days can slow down a round.
Other Thoughts: Definitely in my top 5, play it for yourself and it'll probably be in yours too.

Not trying to pub myself , but I did create a complete course directory if you plan on visiting and playing in middle TN. You can walkthrough these courses via slideshows and read a brief writeup of any of our courses in under 2 minutes.