Smyrna, TN
Sharp Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #17 (Taken 10/2013)

1    8/3/2009   9/17/2009
Review By: ahaas
Pros: Starting from hole one, you just get the feeling you are going to enjoy playing this course. Hole one is a moderately long 324 ft hole through a mildly narrow fairway in the woods. It has a gentle left to right turn. Though a good hole, I wasn't enamored with the hole 9 signature hole. It is a 200 ft straight and narrow shot through beautiful woods opening over a murky watery pit and finishing with the hole at the top of ledge. There is no room for error. If you make a mistake, you are not going to regret it a little, you are going to regret it a lot. On the other hand, I loved the other signature hole, number 3. Hole 5 is one of many holes that is a good test of accuracy and shot control through woods. Many of the holes are fairly open. It is good course with some challenging holes.
Cons: I had a very hard time finding some holes. I should have brought a map. The holes need better marking to indicate where the next one is. I almost got lost looking for hole six after finishing hole 5. I was lucky and was able to team up with a local player to play the rest of the round.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course that I wouldn't mind playing again. While the course has many skill shots, it doesn't require a great variety of shots. You are not going to need to use a wide selection of the disks in your bag.

5+    9/11/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: trippin4knuggs
Pros: Tons of recent rennovations. Great course set up; hard to get lost.
Cons: Discs can be lost a bit more easily. Many thick trees, water hazards, bushes... etc.
Other Thoughts: Well shaded... Bring bug spray or you'll be sorry

Solid course and good challange.I wish there was a 3.75

1    1/15/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: This is a very challenging and somewhat technical course with lots to offer. I consider it to be a very good representation of what a solid disc golf course should be. Beginners and advanced players should both expect to be entertained and your skills will defiantly be tested at some point during the round. Some would agree that it has multiple signature holes. You will also find that this course is very well maintained, clean, and safe.

First off there is a pretty incredible variety of hole types and shots needed. Although there are not many major elevation changes you probably won't notice. After all, the doglegs, open shots, tight shots, length variety, and the precision that's needed will keep your mind occupied. Throughout the course you can't get away with half hearted shots either. There are pretty good hazards scattered around too. They included but not limited to a lake, corn fields that eat discs(not an issue in winter), roads and paths, and fences that keep you out of private property running along the fairway. There's even a seasonal retention pond with some nasty water to throw across on number nine. Speaking of nine, it has a really nice layout with the basket mounted up on a boulder that is pretty unique and really fun. It's my favorite hole on the course. Number fifteen's open, gradual 275' +/- downhill was also quite fun and screams ace run all the way! To sum it up, this course has a good lay out, has good variety, it's really fun, and it's an affectionately tough course.

The amenities are average. Concrete tee pads are always a plus. Benches are scattered around but make for a nice addition. The new steps at hole one are really nice too. Tee signs are sufficient for the cause but could be improved by installing ones that are professionally made. There are some gravel paths leading the way between some of the holes that lend a hand as far as navigation is concerned. The baskets are also in pretty good shape relatively speaking. Some have flags or have been painted to help you spot them in the woods. I liked the practice basket in the field near the parking lot. It is big enough to practice some decent drives and obviously throw a few putts too. The parking is quite convenient and in an area where I don't think you'll be broken into very easily. It would appear there is a really strong group of locals that take pride and more importantly care of this course. Kudos to them! It's very evident. I thoroughly enjoy this course.
Cons: I must admit that I have not played during mosquito season but I think we can all agree that they are very frustrating. It sounds like they are particularly bad here in the summer. Bring the spray for sure!

It can be a little confusing to navigate in a place or two your first time out. Bring a map and you are good to go. After you play through once you'll have no problems.

It can be little marshy on the six/seven fairway area. There is also private/government property (water authority) blocked by a fence on the right side in this area. An errant shot could leave you you contenplating whether it's worth going after. We all want our discs back but it didn't seem like a place you would want to be caught trespassing. Just be careful if you try to retrieve your disc.
Other Thoughts: The park itself is nice as well. There are a few other activities you can take advantage of while you are there. Most notably were the paved bike paths, ball fields, and the pavilions. Fishing is an option too I guess if you are into that.

If you are in the Nashville area, try to play this course. Nashville has some great courses and this may be one that is easily overlooked. Even a decent drive won't leave you disappointed. Enjoy!

1    5/18/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: ChangeJD
Pros: This course has all the essentials of a good course. All of the baskets are nice, and all the holes have concrete pads. There was also an alternate tee for the water hole. There were maps on every hole displaying the distance to each basket. There were a fair number of benches throughout the park, and the fairways were trimmed nicely. The holes were nicely designed and showed a great variety, varying between forest and open holes. There was even one hole over 600 ft! The elevation made for a nice challenge on most holes. It wasn't very crowded, and the locals were very nice, even returning a lost disc to us. The course is fairly challenging throughout.
Cons: During the summer, there are swarms of mosquitoes everywhere. They become a pain quite early on, so you definitely need to bring bug spray along with you. Although the maps were nice to show where every basket was, very often we found that most of the alternate baskets were pulled up, and we had to backtrack to find the correct basket. The flow of the course was horrible, and we sometimes had to spend minutes finding the next hole. There is no par written for any hole, so be prepared to make them up as you go. Much of the area off the fairway is entangled in thorns and a lot of shrubbery, so some discs that go in may not come back out, as we found out today. On one of the holes, if you throw 2 behind the basket, you will hit water. If it were to have rained recently, it is very likely that basket could have been underwater and unplayable.
Other Thoughts: We traveled an hour to play this course, and although it was nice, the bugs, lack of par scores, and frustration of the layout of the course will probably prevent us from going back. It was a good game of golf, but not worth the drive. If you live close, it is a fair course, but if you are far away, don't bother.

killer swarms of bugs

1    5/18/2009   5/18/2009
Review By: ChronoDisc
Pros: very interesting how the courses are laid out. the landscape is nice. concrete pads on every hole.
Cons: bugspray is a must have because the swarms of mosquitos are insane.; the course is very confusing.... you never really know where the next hole is. i think that if there was an emergency and i had to leave i would have a problem because i wouldnt be able to find my way out. there are no signs that say what par is. there are a few spots that will eat your disc... hope you brought spares.
Other Thoughts: overall a nice course a little confusing but it is worth a little trip. you need some bug spray and maybe a floating disc though. i probably wont return until fall because of the insane about of bugs.

1    1/23/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: mrkelly77
Pros: this is my hometown course love hole 9 and alt 3 is my fav. this course is the best in the area ive heard lots of people comment on it thinking the same thing i also am the one who started putting bottle caps in the trails a friend from WI told me it was on a course there hope it catches on !
Cons: the water on 3 havent got the guts up to drive it the bugs in summertime maybe the city will spray it might help
Other Thoughts: looking to play with whoever, would like to learn more about the diff shots you can do havent been playing all that long

Love this course

5+    1/19/2009   1/19/2009
Review By: christopherM
Pros: I have gotten some of my best shots playing this course an it's in my home town... fortunate! Total Dog leg heaven. Unique holes very cool enviorment.
9 & 15 are my favorites. But I do love them all 4 the most part.
By the way I am the one that started the bottle top trails something I picked up from a course in WI, hope everybody is cool with it :)
Cons: Corn field on 4 and 6 can be agravating in season. Don't like water hazard on three
Other Thoughts: Looking for new people to run rounds, maybe doubles or what ever .... local an interested email me if a member

Not long - but still a tough challenge

2-4    12/25/2008   12/25/2008
Review By: crandellfamily
Pros: A lot of doglegs and well-placed baskets make for good strategy on a relatively flat course. Maybe 6 of the holes can be considered primarily open - the rest cut relatively tight paths through the woods. Even the open holes make good use of tree lines to force your direction. It's not simply a matter of staying straight on this course. There are times when it's essential to get to a specific side of the fairway. This is especially important for relatively short drivers like myself. Lots of favorites to choose from - the wooded first hole takes a gentle uphill curve right, and makes good use of a small gulley. The eighth is a fun wooded downhill, with the basket cut tight to the left behind a huge rock. The 9th has a 180ft carry across a pond, but there's an interesting set of layup options for the easily intimidated. And no matter what you choose, you're left trying to reach the basket through a small rocky rise. The 14th has a couple hundred feet of open ground from the tee, but the basket is crowded by a small grove of trees that require a sharp hyzer, or fantastic luck and aim, to get the disc close. The 16th-18th return to the woods, and require strong straight throws. Good tee boxes throughout (though the hole descriptions are just OK), and except for #3, it's pretty easy to figure your way around. I agree with those who commend the maintenance. My wife and youngest daughter played and walked with us, and as far as they were concerned there were plenty of park benches to watch and wait from.
Cons: The double mandos on 3 (the easy non-water option) and 5 seem to be more of a novelty than anything else. There isn't any advantage if you go left or right of the opening, so there's no issue for the better players. The mandos primarily play as a threat to weaker wilder golfers, and they are set just tight enough to cause frustration. That doesn't seem like the best use of a mando to me.
Other Thoughts: There aren't any alternate tees for different skill levels (except at the water holes), but the course is short enough that this isn't much an issue. My son and I didn't look very hard for the water tee on #3, but I wish we had. We just played the first tee we came across. There's another basket for #3 across a paved road, but I'm guessing this is not the basket that serves the water crossing - kind of hard to tell without further investigation. 40 degree weather for us, so bugs weren't an issue. There are double baskets on 15 - and it can play either less than 300ft or more than 700ft across an almost entirely open field. My son and I played the short hole both times - we couldn't pass up our only real chance for a birdie. The longer version didn't look like anything special to us - just a long haul across the field.

Unique course

5+    8/1/2008   12/1/2008
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: One of the more unique courses I have played in terms of the terrain that is used.

This course has some really great golf holes. Probably an even mix of open and wooded. Water comes into play on a couple holes, with a nice hyzer shot over the water on hole #3. Most of the course requires controlled drives (hyzer, anhyzer, low ceiling shots etc), with 3 or 4 good opportunities to crush a drive.
Cons: Plenty of opportunities to lose plastic - water hazards, or the cornfield in the summer.

Plenty of bugs, bring spray.

Teepads could use some work. More benches/tashcans would be awesome.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the best courses in middle Tennessee. The back 9 could be improved a little (mostly, I am thinking of the holes that play across the field), but the majority of the course is well planned and well maintained.

I believe doubles are at 2:30 on Sundays.

One of the best I've played

5+    9/12/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 6/22/2015
Pros: Excellent use of terrain.
Absolutely perfect mix of open, wooded, long and short.
Cons: Gnats.
Baskets on #8, #10, #16, #17 can sometimes be difficult to see / spot first time 'round.
Other Thoughts: Love this course. Almost makes me want to move to the area so I can play it more often. #9 is one of my all time favs. #15 is the quintessential disc golf hole.

There are two #3 (3a and 3b) and #9 also has an alternate tee (for the weak :D).

Additionally, there is (permanent?) alternate pin for #15 (in C position).

Last I was there I noticed the underbrush in and around the stand of trees guarding 12 was cleared. Cool!

Play a round and head over to Jim & Nicks for some good Barbeque.