Smyrna, TN
Sharp Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #13 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #13 Mid-Fairway

Fun mix of holes

2-4    8/21/2011   9/14/2010
Review By: weeman
This review was updated on 8/23/2011
Pros: Right off the bat, you step into the woods for some good golf. The course is pretty secluded from most other activities in the park, save from a running/walking trail near several of the open holes. Each hole has multiple pin placements but as I've only played here once, I don't know how often they get changed up. Nice new tee signs are included at every hole with each indicating which sleeve the basket is in. The holes have an ever changing variety from one to the next. Tee pads are good sized but can become slick during/after any rain. The wooded holes provide a good challenge of hitting your lines to have a chance at birdie. The wooded rough wasn't so overwhelming that it would cost you two/three strokes but you definitely don't want to go in there! The open holes typically have more length than the woods. The open holes on the front nine played around a cornfield, so that added a nice change to the "rough" instead of just trees. In multiple places there's several additions that made this course even more enjoyable to play. Paths from green to the next tee pad, wood barriers to prevent erosion around the course, and staircases to keep from traversing slick/muddy paths were all available on Sharp Springs.
Cons: The course is laid out in a mostly flat part of the park with only a couple holes that I noticed went up or down in elevation. Really the open holes didn't do much for me. Most all were wide open with 80' wide fairways lined with woods on one side, a cornfield on the other and no obstacles between the tee pad and basket. It would be wise to bring bug spray and to use it liberally here as the bugs can be fierce especially after a rainstorm.
Other Thoughts: Sharp Springs is really a fun course to get out to play and definitely would play tougher in tournaments. Course has a good variety of short, long, left, right, and straight shots that can be beneficial to master for less skilled players.

1    8/19/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: siscownage
Pros: Very well maintained, friendly folks, a solid course that will challenge amateurs and pros alike. I have played almost all of the courses in middle Tennessee, and this one is the most balanced and fun to play of all of them.
Cons: Mosquitoes can be almost unbearable sometimes, gets very crowded around 5 o'clock on most days.
Other Thoughts: A deceivingly difficult course that has really helped out my game tremendously since I play on it the most. The only other course I have played in middle Tennessee that I personally found to be more difficult was Cedar Hill. But, the overall difficulty does nothing to take away from the great balance this course has.

What a find!!

2-4    8/12/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: LOTS of variety out here. Shots into the woods/ shots out of the woods/2 water hazards/corn hazards. Nice benches and concrete tee pads at every hole. Beautiful course.
Cons: The only con I can think of are the small crappy tee signs but they gave us a good idea of where the next basket was so no big deal. Also, I would have liked a tee sign at 3a.
Other Thoughts: This course was a lot of fun and well worth the drive. We played through twice before noon and only saw 2 other people the whole morning. Also, I have seen people in the reviews having trouble finding 3a (the water hazard). If you take an immediate right after basket 2 you will see a trail that crosses the road. The tee for 3a is right next to the water to the left of the park signage. Also, the mosquitos were not near as big a problem as I thought they would be by reading the other reviews. Just grab some bug spray and it's a non-issue.

Very nice indeed.

1    4/2/2010   4/6/2010
Review By:
Pros: Extremely well maintained, the locals should be proud of themselves. They were also friendly while we slow played until they could pass on the next hole. Info signs are always greatly appreciated even if they are paper.
Cons: My score was lousy, but it wasn't your fault! I expect to do much better next time through when I have an idea what is going on. Minor navigation issues as expected from the other reviews so no stress there.
Other Thoughts: Based on the prior reviews I chose this course while traveling by and was impressed. The variety of shots needed was challenging and enjoyable at my average skill level. I will go out of my way to play this course again.

5+    3/20/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: msudog_
Pros: This is one of the better designed courses in the area. Lots of variety from open to wooded holes, dogleg lefts and rights, mandos, water, and multiple baskets on several holes. I'm pretty sure I used every disc in my bag and every shot I know.

The course is maintained very well, and while I was playing there were several holes that were in the process of being mulched again.

There is an alternate tee for 3 that plays over a lake/pond. I've never seen it, but it looks like a fun throw. 9 also has a small pond you throw over, but the hole is only 207 ft. It's an easy shot, but for some reason I still get nervous, although this last time I was out there it was dry.

I felt like this course really tested me. I really enjoy the challenges this course offers. I'm enjoying myself just sitting here daydreaming about all the different shots.

I would say it's fairly beginner friendly, but some shots are pretty tight. I don't think it's a crowded course either. It was a beautiful Saturday, and the course seemed to be flowing well, although there are hardly any parking spots next to the first tee. You may have drive up to a pavilion to park.
Cons: The biggest con, and the worst one I have encountered yet, are the mosquitoes. Although they are not out yet this year, they are horrible come summer/fall. The first time I played this course was last summer. I managed to throw my drive on the first hole before I left to get some bug spray. I'm telling you, it's like I was a walking blood bank giving out free samples. After I lathered up, I was still getting eat up.

Because the mosquitoes are so bad, I didn't return to the course until December when I new it would be mosquito free.If it wasn't for the mosquitoes, this could be my favorite course in the area. Unfortunately, I will only play this course between December-April. I may go there if some friends really want to play, but I will never go on my own.

There were maybe 2 holes that didn't seem to have a clear fairway, and there are a few places where a next tee sign would be helpful.

Really are not too many cons to this course for me, just a major bug problem. They have a tournament called the Skeeter Heater during the summer. I think the local club uses the "tournament" to sacrifice unsuspecting competitors to the mosquito god.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, I really like this course. I just hate the bugs!

As of today here are my favorite Nashville area courses:

1. Cedar Hill Park
2. Crockett Park
3. Liberty Park
4. Sharp Springs Park
5. Barfield Crescent Park
6. Seven Oaks Park
7. Two Rivers

I haven't played Sanders Ferry, Cedars of Lebanon, or Triple Creek.

Well Maintained

1    3/19/2010   3/20/2010
Review By: Lovan
This review was updated on 4/4/2010
Pros: Love the wooded holes reminds me of playing back home. Love the elevation changes not so many by the beach. I like the mix of open and wooded holes.
Cons: some holes can be hard to find.
lol not sure how much i liked the tight shot through the hole in the woods.
Other Thoughts: Lost brand new T-Bone on whole 9, what an awful bounce off a tree.

hate then loved

1    3/2/2010   3/2/2010
Review By: jacob2918
Cons: I played this course once and got lost. i hated it. But i went back yesterday for the first time in 4 months and absolutely loved it! theres some amazing wooded holes that have plenty of lines to the basket. and some open holes where long bombs are needed. hole 9 isdefinitely the signature hole! almost brought a tear to my eye lol i didnt want to leave it. hole 13 will make you laugh out loud. you can lay up or shoot a lazer straight shot through a tunnel that starts 50 ft away and is literally 4 ft wide! hole 15 will give you a great ace run being 270 ft down hill and wide open.plenty of benches and trashcans. helpful locals and great use of land. my new fav. course!
Other Thoughts: cons. hard to find hole 4 but once found the other holes just flow. during summer lots of thorn bushes! dont wana shank one. tons of mosquitos! and no where to park on busy days.

Fun Challenging Course

1    11/10/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: atl scott
Pros: This course will test every shot in your bag due to the amount of trees on the course as well as the ample use of elevation change and doglegs that require particular accuracy.

The course lets you feel miles away from anything else.

The course is well maintained with a generous amount of wooden stairs and crushed gravel paths.

There were bathrooms available at the entry of the park.

Only 5 miles from I-24 so great for passers-through.
Cons: Several trees should be removed on several holes to make the holes a better test of skill. Holes 1 long, 16 right, and 17 long come to mind. That said I have only played this course once and not with a local so perhaps I just need to learn the routes...

Several holes were WIDE open (and sometimes with no elevation change) and very boring. Holes 4, 6, and 15 come to mind although I understand that in season the corn helps this a bit.

Can be somewhat difficult to find your way a couple of times (I had an especially difficult time finding hole 4 (after playing hole 3a and never finding the teepad for 3 even though I found the basket).

Razor wire along fence on right on hole 6 was a bit discouraging. It would be nice to have a system in place to recover lost discs from whatever that place was or a number on the tee you can call.
Other Thoughts: I think a sign at the beginning of the course to explain how the alternate holes are to be used if you don't want to play the original water holes would be helpful. I wasn't sure if they were alternates that were set up some of the time instead of the originals or what so it left me confused on which way to go.

I especially liked holes 9 and 13.

Hole 9 had a huge nasty swamp you had to throw across but the hole was 175ish feet and straight. The swamp adds a nice element of gut check and I hate that it sounds like it isn't there all the time.

Hole 13 requires a shot that I don't think I have ever had to throw before on a course from a tee or fairway! (see course pics!) I had to laugh when I saw the basket through the hole cut through the woods on the right. I remembered to look through the hole at the basket at the last second before my shot landed and got to see it sail right in front of the basket! What a great feeling...

Other well designed holes include 7, 12, and 14.

Overall the fun factor was high on this course. It pushed my skills at the same time and I can't wait to play it again (hopefully with some locals).

Technical and challenging

1    11/2/2009   11/2/2009
Review By: dud317
Pros: Beautiful and well maintained course. About half wooded and half wide open holes allow for variety. Not busy during the week. Concrete tees and hole maps every hole. It's a very peaceful place to play.
Cons: Some holes require practically threading a needle to drive, so luck can come into play. Next hole indicators are present near the pins, but sometimes difficult to find. There are a few places to lose a disc if you're not careful, including a private highly secured fence on the right on hole 6 or 7 that definitely does not allow trespassers. There's plenty of room to the left to play it safe though.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for hole 9, it's a big pond between you and the pin, surrounded by trees. There is an alternate hole 9 without water, for the less experienced and less adventurous players like myself. I played in the fall, so while I didn't have the corn rows to contend with, leaves covered the ground in the woods making it a little difficult to find a disc. I found myself wanting to mulligan about every hole just because it was so fun. Depending how many discs you have, you may need to use all or most of them because a variety of shots are required. I've been playing for 3 months and I shot a 62.

Best Course in Middle TN

1    10/11/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: tjonesbusiness
Pros: Very well laid out, good mix of woods and open areas, scenary is great, you will find experienced players there
Cons: wish it was closer to Nashville
Other Thoughts: I was extremely impressed with Sharp Springs. I play Cedar Hill quite often but SS adds a different feel and challenge. The couse is very well kept up. It is very challenging BUT not impossible. If you throw a good shot, it is very rewarding. If you get stuck, you're in a world of hurt. Well worth the drive. Bring bug spray.