Smyrna, TN
Sharp Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #12 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 312ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Dissapointing

1    5/18/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: ChangeJD
Pros: This course has all the essentials of a good course. All of the baskets are nice, and all the holes have concrete pads. There was also an alternate tee for the water hole. There were maps on every hole displaying the distance to each basket. There were a fair number of benches throughout the park, and the fairways were trimmed nicely. The holes were nicely designed and showed a great variety, varying between forest and open holes. There was even one hole over 600 ft! The elevation made for a nice challenge on most holes. It wasn't very crowded, and the locals were very nice, even returning a lost disc to us. The course is fairly challenging throughout.
Cons: During the summer, there are swarms of mosquitoes everywhere. They become a pain quite early on, so you definitely need to bring bug spray along with you. Although the maps were nice to show where every basket was, very often we found that most of the alternate baskets were pulled up, and we had to backtrack to find the correct basket. The flow of the course was horrible, and we sometimes had to spend minutes finding the next hole. There is no par written for any hole, so be prepared to make them up as you go. Much of the area off the fairway is entangled in thorns and a lot of shrubbery, so some discs that go in may not come back out, as we found out today. On one of the holes, if you throw 2 behind the basket, you will hit water. If it were to have rained recently, it is very likely that basket could have been underwater and unplayable.
Other Thoughts: We traveled an hour to play this course, and although it was nice, the bugs, lack of par scores, and frustration of the layout of the course will probably prevent us from going back. It was a good game of golf, but not worth the drive. If you live close, it is a fair course, but if you are far away, don't bother.

killer swarms of bugs

1    5/18/2009   5/18/2009
Review By: ChronoDisc
Pros: very interesting how the courses are laid out. the landscape is nice. concrete pads on every hole.
Cons: bugspray is a must have because the swarms of mosquitos are insane.; the course is very confusing.... you never really know where the next hole is. i think that if there was an emergency and i had to leave i would have a problem because i wouldnt be able to find my way out. there are no signs that say what par is. there are a few spots that will eat your disc... hope you brought spares.
Other Thoughts: overall a nice course a little confusing but it is worth a little trip. you need some bug spray and maybe a floating disc though. i probably wont return until fall because of the insane about of bugs.

1    1/23/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: mrkelly77
Pros: this is my hometown course love hole 9 and alt 3 is my fav. this course is the best in the area ive heard lots of people comment on it thinking the same thing i also am the one who started putting bottle caps in the trails a friend from WI told me it was on a course there hope it catches on !
Cons: the water on 3 havent got the guts up to drive it the bugs in summertime maybe the city will spray it might help
Other Thoughts: looking to play with whoever, would like to learn more about the diff shots you can do havent been playing all that long

Love this course

5+    1/19/2009   1/19/2009
Review By: christopherM
Pros: I have gotten some of my best shots playing this course an it's in my home town... fortunate! Total Dog leg heaven. Unique holes very cool enviorment.
9 & 15 are my favorites. But I do love them all 4 the most part.
By the way I am the one that started the bottle top trails something I picked up from a course in WI, hope everybody is cool with it :)
Cons: Corn field on 4 and 6 can be agravating in season. Don't like water hazard on three
Other Thoughts: Looking for new people to run rounds, maybe doubles or what ever .... local an interested email me if a member

Not long - but still a tough challenge

2-4    12/25/2008   12/25/2008
Review By: crandellfamily
Pros: A lot of doglegs and well-placed baskets make for good strategy on a relatively flat course. Maybe 6 of the holes can be considered primarily open - the rest cut relatively tight paths through the woods. Even the open holes make good use of tree lines to force your direction. It's not simply a matter of staying straight on this course. There are times when it's essential to get to a specific side of the fairway. This is especially important for relatively short drivers like myself. Lots of favorites to choose from - the wooded first hole takes a gentle uphill curve right, and makes good use of a small gulley. The eighth is a fun wooded downhill, with the basket cut tight to the left behind a huge rock. The 9th has a 180ft carry across a pond, but there's an interesting set of layup options for the easily intimidated. And no matter what you choose, you're left trying to reach the basket through a small rocky rise. The 14th has a couple hundred feet of open ground from the tee, but the basket is crowded by a small grove of trees that require a sharp hyzer, or fantastic luck and aim, to get the disc close. The 16th-18th return to the woods, and require strong straight throws. Good tee boxes throughout (though the hole descriptions are just OK), and except for #3, it's pretty easy to figure your way around. I agree with those who commend the maintenance. My wife and youngest daughter played and walked with us, and as far as they were concerned there were plenty of park benches to watch and wait from.
Cons: The double mandos on 3 (the easy non-water option) and 5 seem to be more of a novelty than anything else. There isn't any advantage if you go left or right of the opening, so there's no issue for the better players. The mandos primarily play as a threat to weaker wilder golfers, and they are set just tight enough to cause frustration. That doesn't seem like the best use of a mando to me.
Other Thoughts: There aren't any alternate tees for different skill levels (except at the water holes), but the course is short enough that this isn't much an issue. My son and I didn't look very hard for the water tee on #3, but I wish we had. We just played the first tee we came across. There's another basket for #3 across a paved road, but I'm guessing this is not the basket that serves the water crossing - kind of hard to tell without further investigation. 40 degree weather for us, so bugs weren't an issue. There are double baskets on 15 - and it can play either less than 300ft or more than 700ft across an almost entirely open field. My son and I played the short hole both times - we couldn't pass up our only real chance for a birdie. The longer version didn't look like anything special to us - just a long haul across the field.

Unique course

5+    8/1/2008   12/1/2008
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: One of the more unique courses I have played in terms of the terrain that is used.

This course has some really great golf holes. Probably an even mix of open and wooded. Water comes into play on a couple holes, with a nice hyzer shot over the water on hole #3. Most of the course requires controlled drives (hyzer, anhyzer, low ceiling shots etc), with 3 or 4 good opportunities to crush a drive.
Cons: Plenty of opportunities to lose plastic - water hazards, or the cornfield in the summer.

Plenty of bugs, bring spray.

Teepads could use some work. More benches/tashcans would be awesome.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the best courses in middle Tennessee. The back 9 could be improved a little (mostly, I am thinking of the holes that play across the field), but the majority of the course is well planned and well maintained.

I believe doubles are at 2:30 on Sundays.

One of the best I've played

5+    9/12/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 7/5/2010
Pros: Excellent use of terrain.
Absolutely perfect mix of open and wooded and long and short holes.
Cons: Gnats.
Baskets (8, 10, 16, 17) can be difficult to see / spot for first timers
Other Thoughts: Love this course. Almost makes me want to move to the area so I can play it more often. #9 is one of my all time favs. #15 is the quintessential disc golf hole.

There are two #3 (3a and 3b) and #9 has an alternate tee for the weak.

Additionally, I do believe that is the alternate pin for 15, if it's too short for you.

Last I was there I noticed the underbrush in and around the stand of trees guarding 12 was cleared. Cool!

Play a round and head over to Jim & Nicks for some good Barbeque

5+    3/13/2013   7/9/2008
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 4/25/2013
Pros: *Major Improvement- Color tee signs with map showing all hole locations and distance have been installed. Also on the post is an indicator for pin position. A lack of good tee signs has been a major con for a long time, so I am glad to finally see new signs.

This is my home course and I consider myself lucky to have a great course so close. It has everything: woods/open, left/straight/right, water/cornfields, short/long. You need your entire arsenal of shots. The course is challenging, but with many opportunities for birdies and aces.

The overall flow of the course is very good. Easy to find the next tee- there is always a worn path. (exception- see my note in Cons.) A link to a very nice course map is on this site.

Both water holes (3 and 9) have alternate non-water holes. #9 over the sinkhole pond is one of the coolest looking holes I have ever played!!! #15 also has 2 baskets (short and long). Course flow is set up with the alternates where you could just play 18 holes (or up to all 21) with no out of the way walking.

Also unique are the corn and soybean fields that come into play as OB on a couple of holes. So far this is the only course I have seen with this as a hazard- and you better believe they will swallow up a disc forever.
Cons: Mosquitos are awful in the early summer, bring the repellent. If you don't keep your discs in the fairway, those in the deep rough are almost impossible to find in the summer, especially in the years they plant soybeans!!!

Trickiest navigation spots are:
#3 tee is across walking trail past #2's basket in the A location beside the pond.
if you play #3a- follow the walking trail and gravel path past water-#3 to cornfield for #4.

It took years to get the nice tee signs, but unfortunately vandals have destroyed several of them already.
Other Thoughts: The course is often played, but very well maintained. The local club and parks department are constantly improving the tee areas and landscaping to make this a top notch course.

Overall, I love this course and have played it over 100 times!!!! It still continues to challenge me during every round. I highly recommend this course if you are in the Nashville area!

*I know this course about as well as anyone- feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

LOVE sharp springs!

6/4/2008   6/4/2008
Review By: ChrisULM
Pros: This is probably the best designed course that I have ever played. Perfect mix of short, long, wooded, and open shots that will have you using every shot in your arsenal. The wooded holes are challenging but provide clear lines to the basket. There is a practice basket in a large field for warming up before a round.
Cons: The ONLY problem that I have with this course is the mosquitoes. They are terrible! Even if you coat yourself with repellent, they still fly around your face and annoy the heck out of you.
Other Thoughts: The amount of time and effort that the locals put into this course is amazing. They do a fantastic job.

Skeeter Bites

5/4/2008   5/4/2008
Review By: bogeyman
Pros: This is a very well designed course. Has a variety of pin placements with some quite long options. Hole 9 over the pond with the pin in a rock hole is awesome, I'm glad I used my dragon. Front nine has some technical woods shots, while the back has some excellent scenery, especially in spring.
Cons: The bugs were insane. Do not even attempt this one in spring or summer without tons of bugspray. The wood tee markers were nice but the laminated maps were practically useless. Some of the underbrush was just too dense.
Other Thoughts: This course will test your ability to use every shot and disc in your arsenal.