Waverly, GA
3 / 402ft.   -- / --   3 / 501ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Scenic and peaceful

1    11/27/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: My wife and I drove out of our way a bit from St. Simons Island to play this course. It was well worth the drive! The course is on a Christian camp for kids, but on the day we were there, we had the whole place to ourselves. Compared to the other courses we played on our trip, it wasn't the best of the bunch, but it was still a solid choice and definitely one we'd likely return to if we had the chance and were in the area again.

The course seemed to demand all shot types though I did get the sense playing it a few more times, I'd probably only need 3-4 discs. If I remember right there were 4 holes with water in play, and 2 of which seemed to require a gutsy layup with good distance control.

Cons: Very flat.....good for walking though!

Not the course's fault, but I lost 2 discs on the holes by the water which was disappointing (didn't dock the review for this though).

Signage on the course is heavily weathered and needs replaced/updated.

Based on the location and camp facilities, I'm guessing the course is not playable when camp is in session. But, we went in late November and didn't see a soul.
Other Thoughts: Much thanks to the gentleman who called and returned a disc I accidentally left behind at a tee.

God saved my Pro Starfire from drowning

1    2/13/2012   2/26/2012
Pros: 1) Blue and red posts help lead you to your appropriate tee. Dual tees are always appreciated and here they differ enough on a lot of holes that they actually are very different plays. It isn't just 50 extra feet or one additional tree to be missed. This in essence creates two very different courses.

2) Multiple basket locations also on this property which would allow for even more alterations in play.

3) Signs have Hole #, Par, Distance, a map of the hole including basket locations. Next tees are also indicated on the signs to help with navigation.

4) Distance variation on the long tees is much better than on the short tees. There would be a wide variety of shots required here because of the varying distance you will be approaching from.

5) Nice newer discatchers are nice baskets for this course because they make the basket easier to see. The yellow bands are numbered also which helps with navigation and determining which basket to throw to.

6) The river alongside of #8, 11, and 14 is a unique feature. I have never seen a disc golf course on such a pretty and unique river and corresponding wetland beyond. It apparently is a tributary to the Jekyll Sound which if you look closely at the map is a little disconcerting . . . when you realize I saw a Dolphin in the water here. I suppose it can get back out of the area to the ocean, but I didn't think Dolphins could survive in that type of water. I wonder if I am the only person to say they have seen a dolphin while playing disc golf?

7) Although the tees are grass they are in decent condition and at the very least level.

8) There is an excellent variety of shots needed here.

9) What a beautiful property . . . very mature pine trees and assorted other trees. They are majestically tall and create a sortof canopy over the entire course. There are some Live Oak trees and also a few other trees for a variety of foliage.

10) Water is in play on 8, 11, and 14 and also the pond on 16 and 17 (sometimes). When I was there the pond was empty, but the river will always have water in it.

11) A religious retreat property that allows anyone to use their property for $2. If that isn't cool I do not know what is. This course is well worth $2 and I hope the retreat center continues to allow other users on their property.
Cons: 1) The short tees do not vary much and the holes become very repetitive in distance and feel.

2) No elevation change on the entire property unless you consider throwing into a dried out pond (17) as elevation change. It would have been OB if there was water there, but not when it is bone dry. There really aren't even any unique ways to add elevation on this course, there literally is not more than a few feet of elevation change across the entire course or any individual hole.

3) Grass tees are always a negative in my opinion.

4) There are some restrictions on ply during certain events and weeks of the year, but the course is normally open to the public for the small $2 fee.
Other Thoughts: I had a couple of really unique situations on this course . . . first I saw the dolphin off of #8 and really regret not having my camera with me to snap a shot of it. I finished the round and went back out there and it was already gone unfortunately. I also crawled down the river bank on #11 to save my Pro Starfire (of which I had already lost 2 on the vacation as well as my favorite Star SL). Can you tell they are my favorite drivers? Well I couldn't do without this one too so I had to climb down the 10' river bank which was straight vertical. I used a fallen tree and some roots to get down and also make sure I wouldn't slip off the slight muddy ledge left along the shore of the water. My disc was floating (and it is not a floater . . . it just landed with enough air underneath it to float on the water) downstream about 10' off shore, it bounced off a couple tree limbs that had fallen into the river and was spinning inward so it came closer to shore. I found a root I could break off and get into the water and was able to get it underneath my floating disc and save it. I was so happy and feel like this was my riskiest and most extreme retrieval ever. Maybe the Episcopal God did not want me to lose that Pro Starfire. Either way I will always remember this course for these two reasons.

Honey Creek Course

2-4    6/12/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: jpeaslee
This review was updated on 2/15/2011
Pros: -Tees clearly marked (easy to find, although, not the most attractive for the facility)
-Multiple tees
-Nice scenery
-Facilities well kept
-Stay for Breakfast/Lunch/Supper if you'd like to
-Friendly staff in the lobby
-Possible 'easy' ace on a few holes
-Risk/reward opportunity over the 'creek'
Cons: -Not much variance in terrain (though that is typical of this part of the country)
-Pay to play (although I don't mind giving them a few dollars, its for a good cause/course, and only $2/round or $5/day.)
Other Thoughts: I actually used to work at this camp during the summer (unfortunately before the disc golf course). Great facilities. Wish this woulda been there when I was there for the summers. I'm no pro, but this is a pretty easy course.

Beautiful and Peaceful Place

1    3/12/2010   3/18/2010
Review By: WAS1
Pros: Has short and long tees every hole
Noticed some holes have alternate pin position
Brand new Innova baskets
Big mature trees
Has some holes with water hazards
Well manicured

Cons: Natural tees
No elevation change
Pay to play
Other Thoughts: The hole lengths from dgcoursereview.com appear to be shorter than the real thing, especially from the long tee to the long pin position (holes measured with a ball golf range finder).
The pictures from dgcoursereview.com do not do the course justice
The course is a work in progress
This course is one of the most beautiful and peaceful courses in the state.