Waverly, GA
3 / 276ft.   -- / --   3 / 357ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

It's all right

1    5/31/2014   5/31/2014
Review By: Barneybboy
Pros: The course is fairly decent. It is very flat so if you have the young ones in the family with you it is very nice. It is also in a nice area with the grounds kept up nicely. There is a good amount of trees but still with open space. It gives good obstacles but not tough shots that require precise accuracy.
Cons: The holes are spread out and sometimes hard to find the next hole when finishing one of the holes. Hole 8 tee area is currently down as it sits next to the river and a tree has fallen completely taking out the area. The have not cleared it up. Also, there are very little to no signage for the holes. So knowing par and all the info for the hole you won't get unless you print the scorecard.
Other Thoughts: Overall it's not a bad course if you are willing to take the drive out there and then walk around finding the holes.

Finally the Rain Stopped

1    9/19/2013   9/20/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: This is a stretch of highway I drive fairly regularly and I've planned a stop on numerous occasions. Unfortunately, it always seems to be raining as I'm passing through Brunswick. So' I've never gotten to play it. But yesterday, even though the forecast had called for rain in South Georgia, the clouds parted and I pulled off the highway and into Honey Creek to find an ideal stopover course.

Let me digress for a minute, on what makes a stopover course great. First, it's close to the highway. I don't want to drive more than ten minutes off of my route. (Honey Creek was 6-7) Moreover, I don't want to see traffic, or street lights, on the surface roads. Nothing is more frustrating than finishing your round and then having difficulties getting back to the interstate.

I want to be able to play a fairly quick eighteen. Get off the highway, throw a few discs around and get back on my way. I don't want to spend time looking for discs. I don't want to spend any time looking for tees or baskets. At Honey Creek, I did neither. It's a relatively open course, and while the maps on the tee signs are mostly faded out, I could always see the brightly colored posts, with big, readable numbers, from the previous baskets.

I also don't want too good of a course. I am not looking for a four-star course. I don't want it to be too challenging and moreover, I don't want to feel like I'm rushing something special. I don't want to feel that I'm not fully enjoying something that deserves my full attention. Ed Austin(somewhat along the same route) while a better course than Honey Creek, would not be as good of a stopover course, because, (in addition to being much further from the highway) would take too long. I played Honey Creek from the far tees in just under sixty minutes.

But I do want a good solid course, and Honey Creek is that. It's open, but there are plenty of thick live oaks with heavy branches that love to knock down shots. Keeping it low will often be a prioroty here.

Many of the holes inhabit the same "area" but no fairways conflict. And from the long tees, there is a surprising amount of length. The big dog will get a chance to eat on several holes.

The course plays parallel to the creek on three holes. The water will make you think a bit, (and the view, over the creek to the extensive wetlands, is fantastic) but it would be a truly errant shot to actually go in the creek.
Cons: But while it is a great stopover course, it isn't a great course. The holes, while good enough, are typically nothing special. While there is distance, and variety in distance, most of the tees point straight towards the holes. There is nothing extremely technical: there is little "shaping" necessary.

While I don't mind that the maps themselves have been washed out, (I could always see the basket) and the baskets and tees were in great condition, I do have to dock the course for an absence of tees. I don't mean natural tees. I mean, teeing off happens from somewhere near the post.

Two holes also played on the camp road. I have the feeling that this isn't much of an issue as traveling discers will be playing either with the camp completely empty, as it was for me, or not playing at all if camp is in session.

The one hole I did not care for was seventeen. It's a long water carry over a pond. As much as high risk/reward shots belong in great courses, they are out of place in stopover courses. The reason: there is really no reward. When I'm playing a quick round and want to be on my way, I'm not going to get much satisfaction from nailing a shot over that lake. It becomes a risk/risk shot. I took the drop.
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't drive to this course. But if I want to break up a four hour drive, I don't think I could do much better.

Scenic and peaceful

1    11/27/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: My wife and I drove out of our way a bit from St. Simons Island to play this course. It was well worth the drive! The course is on a Christian camp for kids, but on the day we were there, we had the whole place to ourselves. Compared to the other courses we played on our trip, it wasn't the best of the bunch, but it was still a solid choice and definitely one we'd likely return to if we had the chance and were in the area again.

The course seemed to demand all shot types though I did get the sense playing it a few more times, I'd probably only need 3-4 discs. If I remember right there were 4 holes with water in play, and 2 of which seemed to require a gutsy layup with good distance control.

Cons: Very flat.....good for walking though!

Not the course's fault, but I lost 2 discs on the holes by the water which was disappointing (didn't dock the review for this though).

Signage on the course is heavily weathered and needs replaced/updated.

Based on the location and camp facilities, I'm guessing the course is not playable when camp is in session. But, we went in late November and didn't see a soul.
Other Thoughts: Much thanks to the gentleman who called and returned a disc I accidentally left behind at a tee.

Honey Don't

1    4/18/2012   4/29/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Honey Creek DGC is a nice course in interesting location. The gentleman who greeted us was gracious and informative. There is one hole I would like to stand at the tee with a stack of drivers, and launch 'em all. Number 8 was a RHBH hyzer with thick rough punishing any short or leftside drives (like mine), and salty marsh ready to swallow any disc that may turn over to the right. A steady ocean breeze also pushed toward the tangled vegetation you are trying to get around. It wasn't overly long, and the window was big enough, but I was just glad I didn't lose my disc by the time I finished hole 8. The rest of the course is good enough. There is no significant elevation change, unless you wind up near to or in the water. The front nine seemed slightly more open and easier to me. Fairways on the back nine were more crowded with trees, and in closer proximity to camp amenities.

All of the equipment is very acceptable. Baskets are in their place and catching well. Natural tees are marked by red and blue posts, two at each hole. Tees have signs to give basic hole stats. Course is well kept and nearly litter free.

Cons: I didn't light this course up or anything, but I still thought it lacked some degree of difficulty overall. A bit of repetition on the first few holes, and debris from the tree canopy on the back nine made it hard to get good footing. The tees were decent, but large concrete ones would be a whole lot cooler. Signs could be upgraded as well. The green fees of $2 is nominal, but still more than free. Bring a couple of dollars with you (cash would be best). The camp was almost deserted when we visited, but I imagine there are times when camp is in session, and the course is more crowded, or perhaps off limits to the general public.
Other Thoughts: I thought this course was fun, and overall worth the added miles on the trip. I love exploring as many courses as I can, and would recommend Honey Creek DGC to like minded disc golfers who may be considering making the trip. If you seek only finest courses in the land, you may be a little disappointed. However if you can appreciate a well managed facility hosting a respectable disc golf course, then check it out. It is definitely unique, and I am unable to think of any other courses I have played that are similar.

God saved my Pro Starfire from drowning

1    2/13/2012   2/26/2012
Pros: 1) Blue and red posts help lead you to your appropriate tee. Dual tees are always appreciated and here they differ enough on a lot of holes that they actually are very different plays. It isn't just 50 extra feet or one additional tree to be missed. This in essence creates two very different courses.

2) Multiple basket locations also on this property which would allow for even more alterations in play.

3) Signs have Hole #, Par, Distance, a map of the hole including basket locations. Next tees are also indicated on the signs to help with navigation.

4) Distance variation on the long tees is much better than on the short tees. There would be a wide variety of shots required here because of the varying distance you will be approaching from.

5) Nice newer discatchers are nice baskets for this course because they make the basket easier to see. The yellow bands are numbered also which helps with navigation and determining which basket to throw to.

6) The river alongside of #8, 11, and 14 is a unique feature. I have never seen a disc golf course on such a pretty and unique river and corresponding wetland beyond. It apparently is a tributary to the Jekyll Sound which if you look closely at the map is a little disconcerting . . . when you realize I saw a Dolphin in the water here. I suppose it can get back out of the area to the ocean, but I didn't think Dolphins could survive in that type of water. I wonder if I am the only person to say they have seen a dolphin while playing disc golf?

7) Although the tees are grass they are in decent condition and at the very least level.

8) There is an excellent variety of shots needed here.

9) What a beautiful property . . . very mature pine trees and assorted other trees. They are majestically tall and create a sortof canopy over the entire course. There are some Live Oak trees and also a few other trees for a variety of foliage.

10) Water is in play on 8, 11, and 14 and also the pond on 16 and 17 (sometimes). When I was there the pond was empty, but the river will always have water in it.

11) A religious retreat property that allows anyone to use their property for $2. If that isn't cool I do not know what is. This course is well worth $2 and I hope the retreat center continues to allow other users on their property.
Cons: 1) The short tees do not vary much and the holes become very repetitive in distance and feel.

2) No elevation change on the entire property unless you consider throwing into a dried out pond (17) as elevation change. It would have been OB if there was water there, but not when it is bone dry. There really aren't even any unique ways to add elevation on this course, there literally is not more than a few feet of elevation change across the entire course or any individual hole.

3) Grass tees are always a negative in my opinion.

4) There are some restrictions on ply during certain events and weeks of the year, but the course is normally open to the public for the small $2 fee.
Other Thoughts: I had a couple of really unique situations on this course . . . first I saw the dolphin off of #8 and really regret not having my camera with me to snap a shot of it. I finished the round and went back out there and it was already gone unfortunately. I also crawled down the river bank on #11 to save my Pro Starfire (of which I had already lost 2 on the vacation as well as my favorite Star SL). Can you tell they are my favorite drivers? Well I couldn't do without this one too so I had to climb down the 10' river bank which was straight vertical. I used a fallen tree and some roots to get down and also make sure I wouldn't slip off the slight muddy ledge left along the shore of the water. My disc was floating (and it is not a floater . . . it just landed with enough air underneath it to float on the water) downstream about 10' off shore, it bounced off a couple tree limbs that had fallen into the river and was spinning inward so it came closer to shore. I found a root I could break off and get into the water and was able to get it underneath my floating disc and save it. I was so happy and feel like this was my riskiest and most extreme retrieval ever. Maybe the Episcopal God did not want me to lose that Pro Starfire. Either way I will always remember this course for these two reasons.

1    3/7/2011   3/13/2011
Review By: jkdisc
This review was updated on 4/29/2012
Pros: This is a course on a beautiful, religious retreat center. There are 2 tee positions per hole. The baskets are in perfect shape. The short tees are very beginner friendly.

Other Pros:
- water hazards (pond, salt water river)
- nice flow
- easy to navigate
- quiet, peaceful atmosphere
- well priced motel rooms on site
- 5 miles from I-95
Cons: The course is mostly short even from the long tee positions with several fun holes but nothing too special. The natural tee areas have posts that a RHBH player could hit their hand if they have a good follow through, ( I moved over to the side to save a broken hand.)

Other Cons:
- very steep bank for errant throws into the river
- no elevation changes
- fee to play
- alot of bugs on the last few holes
- shots near the road (our car was almost hit on the way in)
Other Thoughts: There are certain times the course is unplayable due to other events and you should call ahead to check. My favorite hole was # 17 (long tee), a shot from the woods then over a shallow pond.
I actually stayed in the motel room which was awesome and relaxing. If you're looking for peace on a course then this is your place but overall it's a typical course with some fun holes.

Brian from GA

1    8/27/2010   8/27/2010
Review By: chicost
Pros: Disc friendly course...nice scenery...challenging, not as easy as everyone says...try it, you will love it...even saw baby crabs while I was there
Cons: Mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos.....did I fail to mention MOSQUITOS! Bite swelled as big as golfball, well moth ball
Other Thoughts: The best course for beginners, just bring the bug repellent and enjoy the peace and quiet. I will defiantly play there again!

Honey Creek Course

2-4    6/12/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: jpeaslee
This review was updated on 2/15/2011
Pros: -Tees clearly marked (easy to find, although, not the most attractive for the facility)
-Multiple tees
-Nice scenery
-Facilities well kept
-Stay for Breakfast/Lunch/Supper if you'd like to
-Friendly staff in the lobby
-Possible 'easy' ace on a few holes
-Risk/reward opportunity over the 'creek'
Cons: -Not much variance in terrain (though that is typical of this part of the country)
-Pay to play (although I don't mind giving them a few dollars, its for a good cause/course, and only $2/round or $5/day.)
Other Thoughts: I actually used to work at this camp during the summer (unfortunately before the disc golf course). Great facilities. Wish this woulda been there when I was there for the summers. I'm no pro, but this is a pretty easy course.

Not too Shabby!

1    4/17/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: SavannahSean
Pros: Brand spanking new disc catcher baskets! Easy to follow layout. Some very scenic holes along the water. Wonderful course for beginners and recreational players.
Cons: Not enough variation in distance, mostly wide open and mostly short. The tee markers are in a bad position in relation to the tee pad at a very dangerous height, where most right handed players throwing a backhand will surely follow through and injure themselves. I think it's a matter of time before someone breaks a hand, and should be remedied ASAP! It is a pay to play course, and it would have been nice to have a course map or a scorecard.
Other Thoughts: The course seems to have long and short basket placements, and the course would be much more interesting with the baskets in the long position. Overall I enjoyed my experience out there and it seems like the course has tons of potential and the grounds have much more acreage available to expand.

Beautiful and Peaceful Place

1    3/12/2010   3/18/2010
Review By: WAS1
Pros: Has short and long tees every hole
Noticed some holes have alternate pin position
Brand new Innova baskets
Big mature trees
Has some holes with water hazards
Well manicured

Cons: Natural tees
No elevation change
Pay to play
Other Thoughts: The hole lengths from dgcoursereview.com appear to be shorter than the real thing, especially from the long tee to the long pin position (holes measured with a ball golf range finder).
The pictures from dgcoursereview.com do not do the course justice
The course is a work in progress
This course is one of the most beautiful and peaceful courses in the state.