Starkville, MS
Chadwick Lake DGC Share

updated

1    8/16/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: magictenor1
Pros: Beautiful park setting mostly around a small lake.2 concrete tee pads for each hole. Fairly easy to navigate as it plays around the lake. Water in play so plenty of risk/reward. nice use of elevation. Located next to the Sanderson Rec Center so there should be restrooms inside (didn't go into the building) Good mix of short and long holes with 3 legitimate par 4's.
Cons: Not beginner friendly because of the risk of going in the water although the risk is minimized from the short tees. Busy park so you have to watch out for other park users. There is a walking trail that generally follows the course so be careful. Needs some signage for distances etc. had a course map from this site but it is slightly out of date because of an added hole.
Other Thoughts: This course now has 10 holes not 9. The course map is correct except there is an added hole between #3 and #4. Easy to follow. The 1st 7 holes play around the lake and the last 3 go around the side of the building. Some fairly challenging forced carries from the long tees.

Fore!

1    4/2/2014   4/2/2014
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: Over. Water. Shots. If you are a lefty or scared of water, choose another course. You WILL have to throw over water on at least two holes. For me that was a positive.

The first hole is so spectacular I went back and threw it twice more.

Outside of that, the grounds are well-maintained, and the course test your arm.
Cons: It is in the middle of campus around one of the busiest buildings. While park-goers and joggers will gladly get out of your way, they are everywhere. You will probably run into some one a blanket, jogging, or playing with their dog on every hole.
There are roads right by a few holes. One basket is 10 feet from the curb at a major intersection.
Other Thoughts: This course was close to a 4.5 for me. Tough call.

The poles make a really loud ping when you hit them. That was fun.

Hail State!

Work in progress... or another forgotten DGC?

1    5/31/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: WSP420
Pros: -Well maintained
-Nice baskets
-Concrete tee pads
-Multiple tees
-Warm-up/practice basket near Hole #1
-Co-eds!!!
Cons: -There is construction going on all around the Sanderson Center
-I didn't see any trash cans or benches
-There are no tee markers
-No Hole #'s on tees or baskets
-If the Sanderson Center is closed, you will not be able to acquire a map
Other Thoughts: This DGC may be much better than a 1, but until the entire course is playable I stick by my rating.
I've seen too many DGC's forgotten after major construction on or around the course. I honestly hope this is not the case here.

Beautiful Course

5+    7/10/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: Efan08
Pros: One of the nicest courses I have played. Well maintained thanks to the staff at MSU. Really challenging course from the pro pads, but fair from the am pads. The water only comes into play if you want it to, you only have to throw over water from the pro pads.
Cons: There are usually people fishing or playing with their dogs that can be in the way, but all of them know about disc golf so they watch out.
Other Thoughts: The course does not have tee signs at the moment but they will be coming in the near future.

Really Well Designed for Where it is.

1    7/5/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: Biggzipp
Pros: If you were to have told me that there was a good course around Chadwick Lake, I wouldn't have thought that it was possible to squeeze a course in there, but it's actually really well designed. Every single hole is challenging, but not over the top. For instance, hole #5 has got to be around 700ft long, but its creatively laid out and fun to play. The use of the lake, trees, and landscaping is really well utilized. You can tell that someone knew what they were doing when the made this course. Tee pads are well poured, grippy, and long. Beautiful. Fun. Challenging. And convenient location.
Cons: It still needs tee signs, but to be honest it's not that hard to navigate (Apparently there was a map available in the Sanderson Center, but we didn't find this out until after we'd played). I like to play 18 holes, but there is really no way to put more holes at the current location, so I'll let that pass.
Other Thoughts: I was really impressed with this course. By far it is the most beautiful I've played. I lost one disc to the water (my #1 driver) which stinks, but I should have been using a slightly more stable disc for the first several holes since they play around water. As long as you can throw a shot that fades left, you shouldn't lose a disc very easily. LeftHand BackHand throwers as well as RightHand Sidearm throwers will likely find this course even more challenging because you cannot fade right and stay out of the water very easily.

5+    3/4/2011   3/23/2011
Review By: asjones
Pros: A very challenging course, great for tournament play. It is very well kept and will test you on every hole. Concrete pads are a good size, and tee signs will be shortly.
Cons: The water has a big factor in the course. This is not a beginners course.
Other Thoughts: The is a great course if you want a challenge. It is not so great if you want to goof around while you play.

Out of the blue...

1    10/2/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: boxmark25
Pros: Really liked the fact that it was on campus and easily accessable. The course is well maintained and nice. I liked the fact that eventhough i was playing around the water there was never a huge risk of losing a disc. Most of the holes throw by the water but not right over the water. One of my disc did end up in the water but it was because it rolled downhill and came to rest right on the edge. The course map is very good and can be found in the building by the lake.
Cons: I felt that the baskets were a little hard to see. I am all about MSU and marron and white but i dont think the baskets should blend like those do. The tee pads were a little difficult to find and there were no tee signs. I like tee signs.
Other Thoughts: I did enjoy playing this course and had a good time. I will go back and play but it is not one that i would really like to visit every week.

MSU New Nine

2-4    4/7/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: VivaLaSlovak
Pros: Well maintained... mainly because the grass is on Mississippi State's campus and they have people cutting that grass once a week anyway.
Cons: The Water Hazards.. The only way to enjoy this course is to go out there with your putter and try to lay it under the basket every toss.
Other Thoughts: I was a huge fan of the course they had back in the woods, and to put a disc golf course on the side of a lake I found a little, dumb. not a big fan.

Makes me miss the old one.

1    3/27/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: robertpedro22
Pros: Because of its location, the fairways are well maintained. Easy to navigate course although it took me asking someone to find the starting location.
Cons: Only 9 holes. Poor tee "boxes". I really did not like the old course, but this new course really makes me miss the old one. Most holes have a water hazard or a street with constant traffic to fight with. On a windy day, the risk of losing a disc is high. The last few holes are enjoyable, but it's not a course I will likely play again.
Other Thoughts: I really, really hope the rumors of the old course being renivated are true. I find it worth driving to Lake Lowndes instead of staying local and trying this course.

Chadwick Lake/MSU

1    3/20/2010   5/19/2010
Review By: Amorybulldog
Pros: Long Pro Tees that really challenge. Am tees are good to. Lake is beautiful, as is the general campus area.
Cons: People fishing or picnics on the fairway. This is a very popular place in spring for both and they are in the way on several holes. Most folks are ok on playing through. Long walk between some baskets and next tees. No signage when I played but fairly easy to navigate, only missed one pad.
Other Thoughts: It's on MSU campus so I love it. Think it should be explored to put one in the Technology park across the street though. Far less traffic.