Cookeville, TN
Uploaded By: kennymac Hole #11

Solid course, well done

1    1/19/2014   1/20/2014
Review By: JSurmann
Pros: Set in a park with a large lake, playground walking trails and other activities, this is a very nicely laid out course for the most part. Both the front and back 9's make a loop to end at the parking lot by tee pad 1. Signage pointing to next tee when needed were easy to find and helpful.

Tee signs were accurate, showed the multiple pin placements (some had as many as 3, every one had 2) and a bolt in the sign showed which pin was in play. Concrete tee pads were all of generous size and were all in good shape. Some tee pads had benches which were in good repair as well. Could find no faults with the baskets which caught well and were not rusted.

Elevation came into play on almost every hole but not many side slopes. I would argue that the course slightly favors LHBH/RHFH but too terribly. This is a course that requires FH and BH to shoot well. Distances vary from under 200' to well over 600' depending on which baskets are in play. One water carry hole at a reasonable distance is a nice addition too.

The first half of the course is mostly open, with the wind from the lake being a big factor on most shots. The second half of the course is mostly wooded but brush/schule is at a minimum and the entire course is fairly clean.

Paved parking lot is nice and restrooms are on site with a variety of other activities to do so you can bring the whole family.
Cons: A few places where the ground was a little muddy but that could just be chalked up to the recent wet weather.

2 holes I felt were too much like a pitch and pray type hole, the worst offender being hole 11 and to a lesser extend, 13.
Other Thoughts: Signature holes are probably 14 & 16 and while some of the par "4" holes are probably 3 realistically it's nothing to address in the cons section.

Drove here from Chattanooga to play a round and was not disappointed. Shot a -2 course par with a sunken disc. Would come back.

Don't let the front nine discourage you

1    3/17/2011   3/21/2011
Review By: Pizza God
This review was updated on 5/30/2011
Pros: Tee signs and tee pads on every hole.
Multiple pin positions for most of the holes.
Good use of elevation on the course.
Signature hole #16 is basically an Island hole.
Cons: Front 9 is boring, no really it sucks.
got lost going from 11 to 12
Could not find #14 basket for a long time (it was in the long position and I could not even see it from my 1st drive
Other Thoughts: This course is in a very beautiful park that surprised me when I pulled in.
The course starts off OK with holes #1 and 2 being OK disc golf holes.
then you get to #3 which is jail.
4 to 9 are all boring open shots. (actually #4 is not a bad hole)
I was about to quit my round because the holes were all in the open with nothing in the way.
But then I went ahead and started the back 9.
WOW, there are some really good holes.
I loved #10, it was in the far right position and was a fun hole to play.
#11 to 13 are throw and pray shots.
but then you get to the back holes starting with #14.
#14 was in the long position, this is a 600ft shot throwing over a hill and up over the crest of the next hill in the shull. It took me a while to find the basket, but once I did, I was like wow. (I got my 3 btw)
#15 is a nice little birdie hole
then comes #16. Not for the faint of heart. It is an island hole with the basket on a peninsula of the lake. (I just missed my birdie putt dang it) There were several people swimming for there discs.
#17 was a good hole and I loved #18 throwing from one hill to the next in the woods. (it has a fairway unlike throw and pray shots)
I would play here again, however I may just skip the front nine and play the back nine over and over.

2 courses in 1

1    9/23/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Good concrete tee pads on every hole. Multiple basket positions. Good signs for each hole with a screw and nut system to mark the current location. Easy navigation with helpful signs at the 2 places where there is a long walk. A really well balanced mix of open holes and heavily wooded holes. If you like all open or all wooded this is not the place for you.
Cons: Not really any cons. Nothing bad about this course. Sure you could make some more unique holes, or some more challenging holes in a few places, but there is really nothing terrible here. Hole 13 was in the A position and offered what I would truly call a WTF fairway. No real line or obvious shot. Just let it fly and pray.
Other Thoughts: As stated elsewhere the front 9 is fairly open, and allows you to let it rip with little risk in most cases. There are some mature trees to work around, but an experienced player should have no trouble hitting par or better on most of those holes. The back 9 enters the woods and adds some tight fairways and elevation to the challenge. 16 forces you over a small cove of the water, and 18 tees off a hill and over a ravine to another hill. There is also a fairly tight line you need to hit to make the correct shot. There is even a nice 561-616 hole on the back 9 that plays over a small hole and into some woods. Just a nice solid, all-around course. If you are cruising along I-40 in the area make sure you stop here to play a round.

Good mix of open and wooded

1    1/3/2009   1/3/2009
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: This course seems fairly new from what I could tell, and it is in very good shape. Cane Creek plays along rolling hills and through heavy woods on the back 9.

The tee signs were excellent, showing all basket positions and indicating the pin placement with a bolt. There was a nice mix of shots, with the average hole playing around 300 feet.

The front 9 of this course is fairly open, and easy to navigate. Rolling hills and wind come into play. The back 9 is much more technical with a good bit of elevation change. OB walking paths and water come into play on several holes.
Cons: The layout is solid, but confusing in a few parts. The tee for #5 follows #2. To find Hole #3, walk up hill and across the road. The teepad for #10 is located above the parking lot, on the side of the hill. #12 requires a good uphill walk across a parking lot. #18 is also hard to find. There is a sign pointing in the general direction, but it is not helpful. From #17 basket, walk across the parking lot towards the top of the hill (not towards the lake).

There are a few spots on this course where stairs are needed. The walk to #18 could use some stairs to get up the steep enbankment. Also, #18 plays across a deep ravine and there are no stairs going up or down. This part could be extremely treacherous in the rain.

Obstacles are well used on this course, but holes #7, #8 and #9 felt too open.

Hole #13 literally had no fairway. Well, let me rephrase that... The only way to throw #13 is a thumber or tamahawk. There are 5 or 6 small gaps you could hit, and the disc needs to get vertical to navigate all the trees.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed this course. The front 9 was too open for my liking, but the elevation and wind made it challenging regardless. Hole #3 was by far my favorite on the front. It is heavily wooded and uphill for the first 200 feet and the opens up, playing downhill.

The back 9 of this course was superb - playing through the woods on the side of a hill. Several of these teeshots would be completely different depending on the basket placements. It is a walk to get to hole #12, but it is a great golf shot, requiring a right turning placement shot and then an approach down a wooded fairway. Hole #16 plays over the water and I am pretty sure the posted distance is not accurate. It says 310 feet, but plays more like 340. Clearing the water would not be a problem except for a willow tree that forces a long hyzer shot or flex shot over the edge of the water.

I drove about 3 hours round trip to play this course, and it was worth while. I wouldn't plan a disc golf trip around this course, but if you are player in Middle Tennessee, definitely check this one out.

This is a tournament caliber course. Not too frustrating for intermediate players and there is enough challenge to satisfy advanced and pro players.

From a local player

1    8/19/2008   8/19/2008
Review By: kennymac
Pros: Great mix of all the elements including terrain, woods, water hazard, & elevation. VERY pretty! Front 9 is largely wide open on rolling, grassy hills. Back 9 is tightly wooded, using old hiking trails for fairways. Hole 1 is near consecion stand, back 9 starts just across the park rd from it near the pavillion.
Cons: Course is fairly new, so wooded area's are tough to follow. Course plays through a public park, so care must be taken for pedestrians. Hole 16 is a nice water shot, but also a favorite fishing hole. Most of the fishermen will watch if you let them know you're driving.
Other Thoughts: Club holds random draw double on the third sat of every month, tee off at 1pm.
Currently 1 annual PDGA sanctioned tourney, several smaller scale tournies throughout the year. League play sat mornings @ 10.

Lovely Course Next To A Lake!

1    8/14/2008   8/16/2008
This review was updated on 8/22/2008
Pros: This is a pretty course that is set up partially along a small lake making it pretty scenic. # 1 starts right by the boat rental shack and then the front nine plays on the lake side of the park. #' 2 & 3 go into the woods and then 4-9 are out in the open park. # 9 finished back at the little boat rental . Walk across the little park road here to start the back nine which is mostly in the woods and is very technical for the most part. Even though the course kinda jumps from different parts of the park to others, I found it easy to follow. One one hole you come out of the woods and have to cross a kids play area and another park road to find the next tree pad but I found it easy enough. # 18 was my favorite. It's a little short (202') throw where you're throwing from high on side of a hill across a gully to the basket high on other side of the gully. And it's a technical shot through the trees. Nice concrete teepads, very informative signs, nice course flow, beautiful setting, bathroom facilities.
Cons: I didn't like # 16 over the water shot. It was guarded by three trees and big bushes on the tee side of the lake. The basket sets in a fairly small grassy area. You probably have to throw 270' to clear the water and there were two men fishing right in the way. I chose to skip it and just walk around. One of the guys fishing told me he sees 10 discs a day hit the water, I believe it. That's a tough throw for the average player, not worth the risk to me.
Other Thoughts: Right when I was teeing off on # 17, I was bit/stung by some monstrous Tennessee killer insect of some description. I'm normally not allergic but by the next day my arm was swollen and the redness was progressing down towards my elbow. We had been to too many civil war battle sites on this trip and read about civil war doctors amputating limbs and throwing them in piles. I had visions of some Tennessee confederate Doctor amputating my arm and throwing it in his pile so I had to waste a few precious vacation hours in a medical clinic getting a steriods shot. And I kept my arm. It was only my left, I still could have thrown my discs since I'm right handed. But it might have thrown off my balance or something! You can never be too careful about your limbs!