Cookeville, TN
Cane Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: kennymac Hole #12

1 2 Next >
 Good mix of open and wooded

1    1/3/2009   1/3/2009
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: This course seems fairly new from what I could tell, and it is in very good shape. Cane Creek plays along rolling hills and through heavy woods on the back 9.

The tee signs were excellent, showing all basket positions and indicating the pin placement with a bolt. There was a nice mix of shots, with the average hole playing around 300 feet.

The front 9 of this course is fairly open, and easy to navigate. Rolling hills and wind come into play. The back 9 is much more technical with a good bit of elevation change. OB walking paths and water come into play on several holes.
Cons: The layout is solid, but confusing in a few parts. The tee for #5 follows #2. To find Hole #3, walk up hill and across the road. The teepad for #10 is located above the parking lot, on the side of the hill. #12 requires a good uphill walk across a parking lot. #18 is also hard to find. There is a sign pointing in the general direction, but it is not helpful. From #17 basket, walk across the parking lot towards the top of the hill (not towards the lake).

There are a few spots on this course where stairs are needed. The walk to #18 could use some stairs to get up the steep enbankment. Also, #18 plays across a deep ravine and there are no stairs going up or down. This part could be extremely treacherous in the rain.

Obstacles are well used on this course, but holes #7, #8 and #9 felt too open.

Hole #13 literally had no fairway. Well, let me rephrase that... The only way to throw #13 is a thumber or tamahawk. There are 5 or 6 small gaps you could hit, and the disc needs to get vertical to navigate all the trees.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed this course. The front 9 was too open for my liking, but the elevation and wind made it challenging regardless. Hole #3 was by far my favorite on the front. It is heavily wooded and uphill for the first 200 feet and the opens up, playing downhill.

The back 9 of this course was superb - playing through the woods on the side of a hill. Several of these teeshots would be completely different depending on the basket placements. It is a walk to get to hole #12, but it is a great golf shot, requiring a right turning placement shot and then an approach down a wooded fairway. Hole #16 plays over the water and I am pretty sure the posted distance is not accurate. It says 310 feet, but plays more like 340. Clearing the water would not be a problem except for a willow tree that forces a long hyzer shot or flex shot over the edge of the water.

I drove about 3 hours round trip to play this course, and it was worth while. I wouldn't plan a disc golf trip around this course, but if you are player in Middle Tennessee, definitely check this one out.

This is a tournament caliber course. Not too frustrating for intermediate players and there is enough challenge to satisfy advanced and pro players.

1    1/1/2009   1/1/2009
Review By: dgjunky27
Pros: Great for anybody's game. It's got different shots to improve your game. Open and long, tight and accurate, and water and wind shots. I am a local and designer of the course with a few other fellow discgolfers out there. I've been playing for 11 years and it is one the most well maitained course I've seen in all the years I've played. Grass is always mowed in the summer time, hardly any trash on the course and baskets are moved on a regular basis. I have seen alot of beginners learn to play on this course and they turnout to be Advanced or Pro caliber golfers. Improvements to the course are happening every year. I've seen the sport grow tremendously out there ever since the course has been put in.
Cons: Need signs to direct people from hole 9 to hole 10 and from 11 to hole 12 and from hole 17 to 18. Lots of non discgolfers out there you have to llokout for while playing.
Other Thoughts: These improvements will be done as the sport continues to grow out there. I recommend people to drive no matter what the distance is to play this course.

Excellent Course

5+    12/29/2008   1/1/2009
Review By: surge99
Pros: First off this is my home course. I have played it 100+ times. This course has a nice diversity of shots from short and long open to tightly wooded technical holes of varying distances. This course also has 41 total pins positions which allows it to very different each time it is played. Baskets are moved on a re fairly regular basis to keep things fresh. Several opportunities for ob's and water add this this courses difficulty. Beautiful water shot on hole 16 that is probably the signature hole of this course. There is also a concession stand at hole 1 that serves food and beverages during the summer. Also restrooms are near holes 10, 11 and 17. It is also mowed at least once a week during the summer.
Cons: This is a very popular park in the city. Lots of non-golfers in the park most of the time. There is a bit of a walk from hole 9 to hole 10, hole 11 to hole 12, and hole 17 to hole 18, but there are signs now in place to guide unfamiliar golfers.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is an excellent course, well groomed and maintained year round. Huge diversity of shot types and pin locations. Worth the time and travel to experience this course.

Jekyl and Hyde

5+    9/4/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 7/26/2009
Pros: Continually improved.
Clean, well kept park.
Cons: Innova DISCatcher
Some terrain on the back 9 (10, 17, 18) a bit technical-- especially if you should make an errant throw (which I *never* do).
Other Thoughts: A true Jekyl and Hyde course. Front 9 mostly wide open and somewhat beginner friendly. Back 9 mostly tightly wooded with #16 going over water.
Multiple pin positions are wonderful, but it is nicer when the tee signs agree with the pin placement (13, 14, 15, and 17), seems every round I play one of those pins is not where the tee sign says it is.

From a local player

1    8/19/2008   8/19/2008
Review By: kennymac
Pros: Great mix of all the elements including terrain, woods, water hazard, & elevation. VERY pretty! Front 9 is largely wide open on rolling, grassy hills. Back 9 is tightly wooded, using old hiking trails for fairways. Hole 1 is near consecion stand, back 9 starts just across the park rd from it near the pavillion.
Cons: Course is fairly new, so wooded area's are tough to follow. Course plays through a public park, so care must be taken for pedestrians. Hole 16 is a nice water shot, but also a favorite fishing hole. Most of the fishermen will watch if you let them know you're driving.
Other Thoughts: Club holds random draw double on the third sat of every month, tee off at 1pm.
Currently 1 annual PDGA sanctioned tourney, several smaller scale tournies throughout the year. League play sat mornings @ 10.

Lovely Course Next To A Lake!

1    8/14/2008   8/16/2008
This review was updated on 8/22/2008
Pros: This is a pretty course that is set up partially along a small lake making it pretty scenic. # 1 starts right by the boat rental shack and then the front nine plays on the lake side of the park. #' 2 & 3 go into the woods and then 4-9 are out in the open park. # 9 finished back at the little boat rental . Walk across the little park road here to start the back nine which is mostly in the woods and is very technical for the most part. Even though the course kinda jumps from different parts of the park to others, I found it easy to follow. One one hole you come out of the woods and have to cross a kids play area and another park road to find the next tree pad but I found it easy enough. # 18 was my favorite. It's a little short (202') throw where you're throwing from high on side of a hill across a gully to the basket high on other side of the gully. And it's a technical shot through the trees. Nice concrete teepads, very informative signs, nice course flow, beautiful setting, bathroom facilities.
Cons: I didn't like # 16 over the water shot. It was guarded by three trees and big bushes on the tee side of the lake. The basket sets in a fairly small grassy area. You probably have to throw 270' to clear the water and there were two men fishing right in the way. I chose to skip it and just walk around. One of the guys fishing told me he sees 10 discs a day hit the water, I believe it. That's a tough throw for the average player, not worth the risk to me.
Other Thoughts: Right when I was teeing off on # 17, I was bit/stung by some monstrous Tennessee killer insect of some description. I'm normally not allergic but by the next day my arm was swollen and the redness was progressing down towards my elbow. We had been to too many civil war battle sites on this trip and read about civil war doctors amputating limbs and throwing them in piles. I had visions of some Tennessee confederate Doctor amputating my arm and throwing it in his pile so I had to waste a few precious vacation hours in a medical clinic getting a steriods shot. And I kept my arm. It was only my left, I still could have thrown my discs since I'm right handed. But it might have thrown off my balance or something! You can never be too careful about your limbs!

5+    2/17/2012   7/9/2008
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 2/22/2012
Pros: This a pretty nice 18 hole course on a very nice section of park land. This is the only major course in a wide radius around Cookeville, TN.

The course is fairly new so the tees, baskets, and signs are in great shape. The course contains many elements, open/wooded, long/short, elevation, and water. There are some pretty nice memorable holes (#1 is a great opening hole, #16 is the signature hole with the basket on a peninsula of the lake.)

Cookeville is home to Tennessee Technological University (my alma mater!) The course is pretty close to campus so that is a bonus for the college kids.

This course has become quite challenging since it was just an infant 9-holer. There are several really nice and unique and fun holes. Many of the holes have multiple hole locations that can drastically change the angle and the distance of the hole.
Cons: Because it was built in 2 stages it is like playing 2 separate 9 hole courses. The front is pretty much wide open, the back is mostly in dense woods. (see the course pictures) The front 9 holes are designed about as best as they can be considering the land, there is just not much there to make it super interesting and challenging. Some of the fairways on the back 9 were almost non-existent when first opened, but constant improvements are always being made to this course. This course is maturing nicely, but those fairways are still super tight.

There can be a problem with people fishing, picnicking, (even making out!) on the water holes.

There are still a couple of holes whose fairways just do not have a realistic path off the tee. A great deal of luck is required (holes 12 and 13 specifically). #18 has a small narrow fairway, but the tee is not lined up in that direction. There are 2 spots where stairs are desperately needed to get to up a steep hill to the tee (holes 10 and 18). The longer than abnormal walks across playgrounds and parking lots are awkward, but at least signs have been installed that direct you in the right direction. It was hard to find the paths leaving the basket to the next tee- it seemed maybe this was only a problem on newer basket locations. I made my own path essentially, only to find when I got to the tee I saw the path, just too late!

The front was also redesigned since it was first installed, it appears mainly to eliminate any chance of a disc landing over a farmer's fence. Hole 4 used to be a great downhiller with thick nasty swampy rough behind it, but that hole is no longer set up that way- too bad.
Other Thoughts: A lot of people really like this course, and if you live around here it is all you have, so it makes a nice home course that has some challenges. It is worth a stop if you are driving between Nashville and Knoxville. (Cookeville also has tons of places to eat and lots of hotels.)

However, this is your typical 18 hole course that was built in 2 stages of 9 holes each. There is a huge difference in style between the two 9's. I think 18 holes are great, but I personally enjoy courses that mix it up more between open and wooded or easy and hard.

I graduated from TTU, but the course was not built until after I left. We played ultimate and object courses around campus. I wished it had been there when I was there (a bonus for students now), although it might have prevented me from going to class!!!

*Update- much progress has been made to improving the newer back 9 over the last few years. There are signs helping with the long walks and paths have been put in to help get from one hole to the next in the woods.

Wide open and fun front 9

1    6/24/2008   6/24/2008
Review By: basmith42
This review was updated on 10/31/2008
Pros: I only played the front 9. The first few holes had fairly defined fairways and some changes of elevation. Holes 4-9 were fairly open. The grass was cut short so I had no trouble finding thrown disks. Nice concrete tees.
Cons: The course seemed to end at the 9th hole. I didn't realize there were more holes until I saw a sign for 12 on the way out. If the sun wasn't setting, I would have tried the back 9.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course. If I wasn't throwing alone or had a local to "guide" me, I might have played the back 9.
** Update on 10/31/08- I see pics of tee signs on the site pics. These signs were not in place when I played. They would have made the course much better. I raised my rating to a 4 because of them.

Bittersweet

1    6/8/2006   3/13/2008
Review By: ZMan44
This review was updated on 1/27/2009
Pros: Good use of terrain. Well kept. Strong local club support. The front nine has a strong design. Trees are placed very well. The back nine has a decent design. There are a few holes that seem to have been placed only for the purpose of needing an extra hole to get to 18 total. The water throw on the back nine is not for the faint of heart. I really liked that hole.
Cons: Somewhat hard to follow on the back nine. I have heard this has been attended to at this time. The water throw that I mentioned as a pro...this shot should not be attempted by most beginners. The carry needed is pretty lengthy and the green is rather small.
Other Thoughts: I lost a 10x KC Pro Teebird on Hole 18. It must have slid under some leaves or perhaps a raccoon ran away with it. I can't be certain. It bummed out my hole trip that year. On the water hole there was a couple making out. I guess they thought they were beside the lake and it was as good a place as any to get some action. Anyway, after asking them to move, we realized that they didn't speak English as they mumbled something back at us. Since they didn't move...we went ahead and threw. I literally landed the disc about 6 feet from them. Then we holed out and went on our way.

1 2 Next >