Reno, NV
Reno Adventure Park - Red Share
Uploaded By: Malachyte Hole #13 (Taken 1/2014)

Poetic & Punishing

1    4/20/2014   4/21/2014
Review By: SierraShooter
Pros: stunning topography & views
creative basket & tee placement
diversity: short, long, forehand, backhand, etc.
easy to follow (sighting devices, trails, markers)
concrete pads
no cross-traffic
benches throughout
excellent workout
Cons: treacherous footing
needs signage for parking
Other Thoughts: A poetic and punishing layout rewards accuracy and brutally discourages error in one of the most beautiful and challenging courses I have played. Leave beginners, small children, and whiners at home--they will be miserable and will make you so, too. The paths, in most areas, are reasonably maintained, and if you are sufficiently skilled to drop your plastic directly on them, much respect. But said paths are cut through canyons--a shade to the right and you must scramble straight up loose rocks to carefully balance your next shot without rolling down the mountain--a shade to the left, you do the same in reverse. If you shank it altogether, you'll either ring your private helicopter, or just let that one go. That all being said, you absolutely cannot skip this course if you're up to the challenge. The location typifies Northern Nevada's unique beauty, with severe granite outcroppings and grandiose views of both the Truckee Meadows (the valley Reno lives in) and the Sierra Nevada mountains. Neither the pain nor the pleasure can be overstated: bring food, water, hiking boots, sunscreen, and a friend or two. Chasing plastic down these rugged, remote canyons by yourself would be no fun and a bit dangerous. Play it safe and you will have a fantastic time. Folks from out of town: remember that you are in the desert and at elevation (5000'+). Water, sunscreen, and pace yourself.

The most extreme course I've ever played!

1    5/9/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: Malachyte
This review was updated on 11/17/2013
Pros: This course is insane... truly the most extreme disc golf course I've ever played. (I'd say Squaw Valley comes in 2nd). Fortunately I love crazy and ridiculous shots like the ones that this course requires. Hole 1 starts off deceivingly easy, and then it gets ridiculous. My reaction to seeing many of the tee locations on this course was "holy shit!" A TON of elevation change, and really gnarly loose and rocky terrain. This course is not only a lot of fun, but it's a real workout as well!

Nov. 2013 Update: Tee pads for holes 12 through 17 have been installed. All 18 holes now have cement tees.

Red Course (Billy Goat Course)

1    8/2/2012   8/3/2012
Review By: tomdmartin
Pros: Tough course but it is not overwhelming.
Good placement of baskets
Very good use of terrain
Great views of Reno area
Great workout
Cons: Tough to get there - having a 4x4 is a must
Tough terrain to go looking for stray discs
Other Thoughts: You know it's going to be a good course when you have to sign a release form!

Great job Tom on your course!

Too bad more people don't know about this - this should be on everybody's list to play!

Tom's Cliff

1    4/18/2012   4/18/2012
Review By: rbnorris32
Pros: Wow! Where can I start... This course was phenomenal! I have played many private courses and this one takes the cake. It has definitely made its way into my top 5. I really like the challenging terrain, good mix of shots, ELEVATION, lack of crowd, and scenery. This is extreme disc golf!
Cons: The signage and hole description on each tee sign could be improved. Also, the mandos are not very apparent.
Other Thoughts: Alone this course is around a 4.2 for me, but in conjunction with the other two courses it is a 4.5. I really enjoyed my round here. Not for the faint of heart. Bring water and good hiking boots. I would recommend this for anyone in the Tahoe/Reno area. Get an early start to play all 45. Takes about 25min from the main road. I got there in a camry through it bottomed out a few times. Great times!

RED Course

1    12/3/2011   1/30/2012
Review By: Skullpunisher
This review was updated on 6/7/2012
Pros: Very well laidout with distance markers to the next tee
INSANE FOR CHAINS This is THE most challenging course I ever played
Cons: NOT FOR THE WEAK
This course is @ 6000' and includes the most intense hiking of any course anywhere
I lost a disc as it followed the hill contour for 600 feet right out of sight
Other Thoughts: Extra water was not needed on 12/3/11 because it was 21 degrees that day the wind was calm

Reno Adventure Park red

1    12/3/2011   12/31/2011
Review By: billfish1990
This review was updated on 1/14/2012
Pros: Beautiful views of Reno. Great use of the natural landscape. The most enjoyable course i have ever played. Owner was very helpful, even called us an hour in to make sure everything was ok. Already planning another trip back to play all 3 courses.
Cons: Very physically demanding. Took 4.5 hours to play. Between 3 of us 1 disk lost. Recommend to play toward hillside or you might be hiking 200 feet down a hillside to find a disk which we did a few times. It was so worth it though.
Other Thoughts: Get direction from the owner not Google maps. Best to have a 4wd. Good idea to have a scope to spot some of the baskets. Long walks to some tee boxes but clearly marked. Definately an adventure.

Reno Disc Golf Extreme

1    12/28/2010   12/31/2010
Review By: Derek B
Pros: 1) Many elevation changes
2) Spectacular tee views and basket placements
3) Shoot over canyons
4) Aceable holes
5) Gorgeous views of Reno and Sierra-Nevada Mts.
6) Multi-use park
Cons: 1) Very physically demanding; i.e., canyon shots, elevation changes.
2) A lot of baskets directly in line with the tees.
3) Windy.
Other Thoughts: I don't really have a whole lot more to say about this course than I did reviewing the green course, other than the fact that this one is better. The holes are fun to play and there are quite a few that you can ace. Some of the tee views are second to none.

Tom really outdid himself with this course and I'm so thankful that I called him and got to play it. I'll never forget this experience. Thanks for the memories, Tom!

Unique destination course

1    6/15/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Amazing topography - probably the most unique terrain of the 380+ courses I've played
Beautiful setting
Labor of love as a private course
Unique use of terrain
Extremely challenging - I would not suggest this course for beginners or casual players
Great destination course - multiple courses on the same property
Very communicative owner
Maps available and signage at each tee
All tees are obvious
Consistent and efficient homemade baskets
Cons: Not all tee pads are finished ( I think it's a case of the owner progressing through the course creating cement tees) - each tee pad has at least a thin strip of rubber and most have a wood frame ready for cement to be poured
A little hard to follow (see my suggestions in the "other thoughts" section) _ This course is harder to follow than the Green course --make sure you are shooting at RED 1 when you start and not GREEN 1 - I started with the red course first, and shot at the green course 1 basket and had to go back and start over.
Signage at each tee should be redone as unique depictions of the hole - right now they are a highlighted section of the general map...better than nothing, but at times hard to follow
Due to terrain, it's easy to lose sight of line of a thrown disc and takes a while to find even well thrown discs at times (see my suggestions in the "other thoughts" section)
No benches (this will be an issue for some, because this is a EXTREMELY physically demanding course)
No garbage cans (you'll need to carry in sufficient water and carry out the empties)
Other Thoughts: Here are my "other thoughts" that might help you decide whether or not to make the drive up there...let me qualify my thoughts with this:
I am pretty much a DG geek..I travel for work and get to play a TON of courses...over 380 so far in 38 States and 4 Countries...that being said, I've played a lot of courses that are really boring...I tend to lean toward very technical and challenging courses...lots of trees, elevation, etc. The only thing that helps set apart a course for me if it doesn't have one of the features just mentioned is if it is a very unique type course...
This course falls into the category of VERY unique...
The setting is very cool...the desert vibe, though brutal at times, is awesome...I've played 12 courses in AZ and only one even comes close to using the native desert terrain like this course does...I must say, this site houses my 2 favorite desert courses - this RED COURSE is the tougher course here and is only for DG animals ;)

Here are a few things to know before you go:
1) If you are a casual player, beginner or can't sustain a robust hike through very rocky terrain with lots of elevation changes - I personally don't think you would enjoy this course. If you like pushing yourself, enjoy a challenge or have a group of comando DG friends, you will LOVE this place :)
2) Bring LOTS of water
3) Try to play early - the wind is BRUTAL in the afternoon (at least in the summer)
4) Wear hiking boots and long pants or at least tennis shoes with calf socks and long pants - I was in tennis shoes, ankle socks and shorts...my calves have well deserved battle scars
5) Try to print your maps in color - if you don't have a color printer, print it in black and white and then color code the two (Red and Green) courses because it can get a little confusing when they start to get close to each other...you can waste a good amount of time trying to figure out the subtle nuances of the various shades of gray.
6) Bring LOTS of water
7) WATCH your footing...VERY rocky
8) Watch for creatures...I saw tons of lizards (no big deal) but it looks like primo snake territory
9) Follow the directions of the Reno Adventure Park website (GREAT directions) - don't put the GPS coordinates on this site into your GPS...it'll try to take you the "direct" route through a mine that is not open for through traffic for the public and you have to backtrack
10) If at all possible, play with one or more other people - you will definitely want a spotter on many holes...unfortunately I had to play by myself...I didn't lose any discs, but a couple of times I almost gave up looking
11) Leave some money in the locker with your release form because the owner has really busted his butt to make this a great place to play DG...it's not all it can be (yet) but WAY better than the other option in Reno
12) Don't drive a car that is low to the ground to this course...the last mile or so is very unkept and uneven dirt road - you could do some damage to the underside of your car if it's too low

BOTTOM LINE: if you are looking for a very unique DG experience and want to really have a great time, grab some friends and take a mini road trip and get up here to enjoy this GREAT addition to the DG community