Azusa, CA
Northside Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #4 (Taken 5/2013)
3 / 309ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Tee Sign Hole #4

1 2 Next >
 Model 9 Hole Course In A Small City Park!

1    4/9/2010   4/9/2010
Pros: For being in a very small (maybe 1 block wide x 2 blocks long) city park, the designers/locals have done a wonderful job of creating a very enjoyable little 9 holer here. Although flat, the park has enough mature trees to create interesting and somewhat challenging holes. There are tee signs that give you helpful hints on routes or in one case, informing you that you are throwing into the wind 90% of the time. The pads are short, either decent concrete or clearly painted on the sidewalks. But you don't need much of a run-up here. There is a large map on a board at the beginning near the parking lot and tennis courts. The baskets are numbered for easy navigation.
Cons: It's a tiny little park. It's flat. With enough people throwing here, there could be a safety problem as a couple of fairways do cross. I would be worried about the walking path that circles the park. I saw a lady walking almost konked by a tee off. It's short w/only one hole over about 250'. The wind seems to blow consistenly. This adds to the challenge factor.
Other Thoughts: Just a delightful little course to play. Every one of us would love to live close and be able to play a quick 9 at all times of the day. Great place to work on your mid-range game or for safari options. One of my favorite little community park 9 hole courses.

One Clean, Safe DG Course

2-4    2/13/2010   2/17/2010
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -Fun tee signs that have random little hole-specific strategy blurbs on them (albeit no hole map or directions to next tee)
-Interesting use of the trees on the land. Each hole makes significant use of at least one tree, whether it's eliminating a hyzer line or giving golfers a low ceiling to work with. The trees make this course.
-Extremely quiet, clean park. The locals set up camp near hole 1 and leave their stuff there as they play. It is always visible with the flat layout of the park and gives the course a very sheltered vibe.
-Course is DG exclusive, but underused. Makes it a great place for mob golf and ace contests.
-Alternate tees delineated by spray paint on the "Sidewalk Course" make for a much tougher and more rewarding round. Apparently there is a "Gorilla Course" as well. Ask a local. They won't bite. ;)
Cons: -Flat flat flat. As a pancake.
-Short Short Short. Longest hole is something like 250'. The rest are between 105' and 220'.
-A couple crossover shots could lead to safety issues.
-Baskets are on the shallow side. Aim for the pole!
-Tricky to navigate to. We got a little lost from the bad google directions it spat out and then spent about ten minutes trying to find the 210. One way streets suck.
-I could see some shanks going into the back yards of some of the houses next to the course. The way the course is set up, though, makes it a pretty slim possibility.
Other Thoughts: This is a quiet, shady beginner course in Azusa. While my biggest complaint about the course is the flat terrain, the alternative tees in particular use the trees to shape some fun lines. The place is as spotless a course as I have reviewed. The locals must really cherish the place. They sure seemed at home, helping us noobs navigate and giving us the scoop about the two alternate course layouts. I won't be rushing back, but I would like to make it back there at some point and try to line up a game shooting the longest configuration.

Great course to learn at and something for the more seasoned golfer as well. :)

1    2/1/2010   2/2/2010
Review By: Danger
This review was updated on 11/24/2011
Pros: -All baskets are numbered
-Tee signs and concrete pads make course relatively easy to navigate
-Distances indicated on tee signs
-Large map near tennis courts showing course map. Make sure to take some time to generally memorize the layout.
-Seemed basically DG exclusive
-Clean, quiet, and litter free.
Cons: -Shallow baskets
-Tee signs had no maps on them
-Flat, minus one 3 foot tall hill
-Two fairways and tees throw directly at each other (however I doubt it ever draws a large enough crowd to make this a problem)
Other Thoughts: This course is on a rectangular plot of grassy park land near a tennis court in a residential neighborhood. While the area seems DG exclusive when people are playing, there is a walking path that borders the park, and a street on one side of it. I parked on one of the side streets so I wouldn't huck a disc at my window.

The tee signs had a short paragraph about how to play each hole, which is something I have never seen before. They indicated the distance on each one, and on one which happened to be a par 2, it let us know. Unfortunately, not having a map on them made it sort of difficult to tell which pin to throw at, especially toward the beginning where they do not follow a simple circle around the park. If you take the time to go look though, all of the baskets have numbers on them.

Saw only one other group playing and I have no doubt that there are numerous ways to play this course other than the provided 9. If I had a park like this near my house I would visit it ALL the time. Perfect for practicing. That being said, I can't say I would go out of the way to play it.

Holes are short enough to entertain a beginner, yet there is enough variety to provide a moderate challenge. I am not very good at disc golf and I finished my only time playing there under par. Holes play around the trees in the park effectively and makes sure they come into play whenever possible. A great neighborhood course.

Small but nice

1    9/6/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: Smelvis
Pros: Easy to find. Flat and no hiking. In the middle of a small park. Plenty of parking.

Hole signs good. A very large sign posting the course map with lots of rules. The main purpose of the park appears to be for disc golf.
Cons: Dont park next to course on street. Your car will get hit with discs.

Be careful of passers by. I had to wait twice for dog walkers to move. I almost hit one. Strange, people dont understand why people scream "Fore."

I got mixed up on some holes because they criss-crossed.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing here.

northside park! my home course

5+    2/20/2009   2/23/2009
Review By: mikelimas61
Pros: this is one of my favorite courses, its short but sweet! i never met anyone who did not like this course. i play here quite often its a good course to practice your shots
Cons: the only con would be stepping in dog shit
Other Thoughts: NORTHSIDE PARK IS THE SPOT FOR THE COVINA DISC GOLF TEAM! LIMAS, MARA, SEDA, LRG, TYRONNE, LARRY DARKSIDE, LIL MATT, CHOLO JR, ERIK D,

Learn how to play here

1    8/7/2008   8/7/2008
Review By: bazillion
This review was updated on 12/9/2012
Pros: Clean course with no distractions. The holes are generally short and hazards minimal, so beginners can come out and practice basic shots. I've heard there's a gorilla course that the locals know about but I've nevver played it.
Cons: Very repetitive, some ridiculously short (par 2) holes, no challenges at all here unless you count avoiding hitting other park users.

I heard there's one guy who lives in the condos to the north who gets mad if your disc lands in his yard.
Other Thoughts: 12/2012 update: I've downgraded this course a half a disc because since I wrote the original review I've had a chance to play some really good niners and this one just pales by comparison.

Unless you're an utter noob and live within 10 miles, I'd say give it a pass.

1 2 Next >