Louisville, KY
Iroquois Park Share
Uploaded By: Matthew boals Hole #8 (Taken 8/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3
Good course, quick play

1    4/17/2014   4/17/2014
Review By: revans1009
Pros: It plays short. Which is perfect if you don't have a ton of time. I've played many other par 3s that are way spread out in comparison. This was actually refreshing for a change of pace.

"Next" w/arrow at many baskets helps navigating which is welcome for first timers. I wish other courses had such good markings.

It was "fun". That's as simple a way to put it. Nice balance of open versus tight wooded holes. Just simple, fun.
Cons: Several tee boxes were missing the hole layouts which would be a big problem for a first-time outing. Thankfully I met a local early on and we walked the course together.

Swampy due to seasonal change. Definitely not as serene as others I've played as surroundings and park itself are very busy. This is what you make of it and personally didn't bother me.

I believe it was 14 where a very large black snake (non-venomous) crossed the path about 20 ft from the tee box. I personally love this as I enjoy all wildlife and got a picture on my phone for my daughter.
Other Thoughts: I am a PA native and we are out here visiting my wife's family. It was nice to meet another solo player and do a round together. I am heading back to play again in 2 days. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Great city course

1    6/27/2013   6/27/2013
Review By: kuhlbeans
Pros: A really fun course to play with some great hole designs in the middle part of the course. The course have a nice variety of open "field" throws, wooded tunnels, and ones in between as well as water that comes into play a few times. Hole 16 with the basket on the hill, 14 with its laser tee shot, 6 with the "over the water then the trees" tee shot, and 9 with its big uphill curve all stood out to me. The course had excellent shot variety and options.

Course was well maintained, with tee pads and signs in good shape, and made good use of the space. The course had a good layout and probably could be followed without any markers. That being said, the next tee direction was always marked.

I played this course with a group, all our first time and all advanced players, and everyone loved it. Good beginner course as well, especially if played from the shorter tees.
Cons: None of the holes here are particularly long, so the course challenge comes from the lines and course features rather than throwing a bomb. It would be nice to have at least one bear of a hole though.

New Cut Rd seems to be fairly well traveled and a couple of the holes it is possible to put a disc onto it. Walking trails go through and along the course, though it seemed that most walkers were aware of what disc golf entails.
Other Thoughts: Iroquois has multiple entrances, so it may be hard to find on first attempt. Course is by the large amphitheater (and parking lot) right off New Cut. The other entrance off New Cut will be a road that takes you up a hill almost immediately, this is the wrong one!

Solid

5+    4/26/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: ActionJackson
Pros: Starts out with a few open holes with mid distance to get your arm warmed up. A descent variety of shots. Beautiful park in city which is good and bad. A very fun, solid course that is fun for every level.
Cons: There a couple of holes that make now sense at all. The course overall is a little bit short. Again in a beautiful park in the city, however the street noise on a few holes is little annoying but not really that big of a deal.
Other Thoughts: I believe with a few minor improvements this could be a much better course. And finally to all the disc'rs out there who see there buddy toss his/her garbage all over the park. Do something about it!

Fun Course

5+    3/20/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: Will Burke
Pros: Fun course with tons of oppurtunities for birdies.
Probably the nicest teepads I've ever played on.
The computer says I need a more descriptive review.
Cons: A little repetitive in the front 9.
Also can get pretty swampy.
Other Thoughts: Good for a quick round or two.

Pleasently surprised

1    11/12/2011   11/13/2011
Review By: tennissaxplaya
Pros: I arrived at Iroquois net sure what to expect, but after finishing the course I had a lot of fun. I thought the first third of the course was not overly difficult and was a good chance to warm up your arm. You do not have to worry about hitting a line that has only a 10-15 foot window in your first 15 minutes. The wooded part of the course was very nice and added another challenge with many trees. There were no holes that felt like you had to throw down a 400 foot grocery aisle in the woods. There was a good variety, many holes had lines for both lefties and righties. Plus, the majority of the middle of the course felt dedicated to just the disc golf course. The signs were new and very helpful. There were also concrete blocks on the wooded holes pointing to the next tee, which came in handy since we played throught the group we had been following. The park was also very nice.
Cons: The beginning of the course was a little repetitive, drive, putt and many times 2nd putt, but again this is nice to warm up. The course does not have any holes, with the exception of possibly hole #9, that could be considered more than a par 3. On hole #6, I liked the layout of the hole over the pond, however there seemed to be some random trees on the shoreline. That scared me to the am tee because I have lost a disc of a riccochet on another course into a pond. The course could possibly use a little more variety involving distances.
Other Thoughts: I definately feel the positives out weigh the negatives on this course. With a lot of leaves down in the Fall, some discs were harder to find than normal in the woods, but other times of the year that would not be an issue. My favorite hole was definately #16. It is very simplistic, short, and a good chance for an ace, but it just made me smile from the tee pad. Picture the game King of the Hill, and put a pin on the top, which makes the chances of discs rolling off really high, but a lot of fun. Both courses in Louisville are worth playing, and I will be happy to play here again.

Lost

1    6/1/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: Mike B.
Pros: A great course for beginners, challenging enough yet your not going to spend alot of time hunting for your disc.
Cons: Some high grass and water in a few places where you could lose a disc. Not all the tees are marked and we ended up skipping a few holes, the map really didn't help much, and after a little while trying to figure it out we gave up and went to Edwardsville
Other Thoughts: This was a short course, many holes under 300, the more experienced players may find it a bit too easy. Just take someone who knows the course first time, I'll definitely play it again.

Same flavor, new shots

1    4/16/2011   4/18/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: This course was recently redesigned, and it definitely improved the layout. There's more challenge, and a lot less conflict between holes. The first part of the course is flat and mostly open, with a couple small water hazards in play. Several holes play through woods with enough rough to punish errant shots, offering some nice tight lines. The course finishes back in the open area, bringing some nice mature trees into play.

There's a decent mix of hole lengths, some ace runs and some where many players can air out a drive. The wooded holes offer a balance of right/left/straight shots. A couple pin placements are nice and tricky, especially the one on a large mound with steep slopes on all sides of the pin. The concrete pads are plenty large and have a nice grippy texture. The baskets are in decent shape and catch well.
Cons: I wish they had been able to keep one of the short downhill ace runs from the previous design, they were a lot of fun. The new holes in the woods are already showing some erosion, the tee and pin areas had mulch to keep the mud down but with how much traffic this course sees the erosion could be a major issue.

Several holes bring the walking path into play, I'm not sure how heavily used the path is by non disc golfers, but it could be a bit of a safety issue. When I played, the signs were just laminated paper, and many were missing, hopefully more permanent signs are coming.
Other Thoughts: It's cool to see a course go through a makeover that improves the layout and adds challenge and variety. This is a pretty beginner friendly course, with not too much length and plenty of open holes to balance the frustration of the wooded shots. I liked to see the short tee on the water hole that allowed players to avoid losing discs in the hazard, that can be really frustrating for new players. More experienced throwers won't find this course too terribly challenging, but there's enough variety to make it a fun round.

Classic Course Redesigned

1    10/5/2010   10/14/2010
Review By: tenWatts
Pros: This course has a nice flow to it. The front nine starts you out on some open, flat terrain where a right handed player really only needs a hyzer shot to card some birdies. The back nine takes you up and down some small, wooded hills and gives a bit more variety of shots. If your shot shaping game is on there is only one hole that you are not likely to be able to reach in one shot. It's not so tough to scare of noobies and it's not too easy to bore the pros. Overall there is a good mixture of all types of shots, OBs, and hazards. The course has always been very popular (even before the redesign) so if you need someone to play with you're likely to run in to someone willing to join you.
Cons: There are way too many holes that have a walking path in play. On one of the holes the side walk IS the tee. The likelihood of a pedestrian getting hit on this course is higher than any other course I've played. The current tee signs are not likely to last very long and give the course a pretty cheap feel but I've heard they're only temporary.
Other Thoughts: The four and five star ratings on this course are extremely misleading. This course is not the same caliber as Idlewild, Hollar in the Hills, or Charlie Vettiner which are legitimate four and five star courses. This course, at best, should set in the two and a half to three and a half range. Anything more is just an exaggeration.

Easier and inferior to old layout

1    10/2/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: WillA
Pros: Some of the holes have new tee signs and they are very nice. The layout is fairly easy to follow except between hole 9 and 10. To get to hole 10 you turn right and head up the hill.
Cons: The early holes are wide open and short with little challenge. A couple of holes are right beside roads. A couple of the holes in the woods do not really have a fairway. Several holes do not have tee signs. None of the tee signs list a par for the hole.
Other Thoughts: This course is shorter than the old course. It feels like a gimmicky pitch and putt version of disc golf, kind of like the old Otter Creek course. It's definitely easier than the old course if you're just considering raw score. I can't see that there was any good reason to change the course. They expanded the parking lot but basket 18 is in essentially the same spot it used to be in. The course definitely did not have to have an extensive redesign.

Top notch L-ville course

1    9/17/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: This course is simply amazing. I never got to play the old layout, but this new one stands alone. The beginning of the course is a nice open field throw before you hit the back nine and delve into the best part of this course, the wooded and technical section. The teepads are fantastic! Navigation was easy for a first timer, and they haven't even finished the course yet. My two favorite holes were #14 and #16. I guess by the locals they are dubbed the Tiger Woods hole and the Nipple hole respectively, but to me they were the signature holes. #14's straight and narrow fairway forced my RHBH throw to slam a tomahawk through it, and it came out so-so. #16's hole is all about the pin placement. Parked on top of a hill with steep slopes on all sides of it, it's an unforgiving putting hole, and for that reason alone I love it. Louisville, you have a good course here. I haven't played Vettiner yet, but I doubt Vettiner can match the fun quality that this course has going for it.
Cons: The course still isn't completely finished yet, so there are a few places were things seem rough. Signs are not all there, there's still some clearing of trees to be removed, and the old tee pads from the previous course still linger. However still spotting the old tee pads was nice to remind myself that this was a classic course. Being only one of two courses in a HUGE city, it is crowded. People were all over the place playing. I played at 1pm on a Friday, and I can just imagine how busy it is on Sat or Sunday. Just be prepared, you will NEVER be the only one there..there will be hordes of people all around you.
Other Thoughts: I will be back to see this course again. I want to see it mature even more than what it apparently already has done. It sucks that I never got to play the old layout just so I could see how much it has changed or grown, but I left loving this course. Most of my family still lives in Louisville, so when I come back for family gatherings I now know of a place to get the hell away from them for awhile and love doing it. Haha

< Prev 1 2 3