Orange, CT
High Plains DGC Share
Uploaded By: Aubin Hole #2 (Taken 4/2010)

1    6/24/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: This niner is better than I expected and certainly better than I assumed after the first two holes. If you are tempted to call it quits after glancing down the second fairway, don't. It gets better. There are a bunch of solid holes here that are fun to throw. I'm speaking of 3, 4, 5 and especially 8. Quality holes. 6 and 9 seemed like they were of equal quality, at least in terms of the fairway shape but I never found the tees for those.
It makes for a quick, fairly easy and mostly fun round. The experience is boosted by the aesthetics. It feels out there, with a swiftly-running stream and a lookout point just feet from a basket that gives an incredible view. With some improvements, this could be a really great place.
Cons: 1 looked intriguing from the top but I wasn't entirely sure where I was supposed to throw from or where I was aiming. I'm left wondering if a regular player could create a loop that skipped 2 because I honestly wouldn't care to play it. There is just no fairway wider than a goat path. Since 7 runs down a service road for most of its length, that leaves only six quality holes here. Those six are very playable but still, only six.
The navigation is pretty messy though. Since there are no tees or signs, and you are typically looking for a number spray-painted onto a tree, it can be difficult to find where you are supposed to tee off from. The tees themselves are nonexistent. Not always flat and frequently broken up by roots or rocks. Real tees and signs would make a difference for the traveling player.

1    12/25/2013   12/26/2013
Review By: connecticutsfinest
Pros: Tough pin positions super fun very pretty
Cons: Bad signage the teepads were poop
Other Thoughts: I liked the course a lot my girlfriend almost aced three so I'm glad it was beginner friendly love the straight on shots on one and nine. Hole six was an awesome hole I found some of the local routes

Needs trimming badly

1    8/8/2013   8/8/2013
Review By: polishedmarvel
Pros: Nice to have another disc golf course in the area, if you live locally, which I don't :)
Cons: At least half of the holes lack a fairway due to trees and branches. A little tough to find your way around the course if it's your first time. If you get into the rough (almost everywhere) it can be really tough to find your disc.
Other Thoughts: I suspect with judicious trimming this could be a challenging but fun course. I'm not a fabulous player, but I can at least imagine a shot at other courses. Here, not so much.

5+    6/28/2012   6/30/2012
Review By: ryan35
Pros: Fun, Quick, and fairly easy to play. Wont even need drivers on most holes. Hole nine ends right at hole one and you will find yourself done so fast that another 9 holes is easy to endure.
Cons: Tee markers are small concrete blocks on the ground, hard to find first time through but once you play through you wont forget so hard to even call it a con. Heavily wooded but not impossible.
Other Thoughts: Great for beginners and as others said its good for short hame practice.. Minor elevation and all holes are short except for maybe hole 4 where basket is on a hill surrounded by trees after a long dogleg lright

Great training course for locals

5+    6/1/2012   6/1/2012
Review By: TBabb
This review was updated on 7/28/2012
Pros: Closest course to New Haven! Good for beginners; no holes +400'. The course has beautiful landscape and a few unique shots. Baskets are in good condition. Trees keep your drives honest and there's lots of elevation change. The woods keep you out of the sun, so you probably can leave your sunblock at home. A nice quiet little course to work on your short game. I've only run into other players on this course once. Discs are available for rental in the Parks and Rec office so you can get your friends hooked on the game if they've never played before. They also have maps, restrooms and water fountains in the community center.
Cons: Course feels a little cramped. It would be nice to have one or two holes on the longer side. Only one anhyzer hole (#8). Be wary of hikers and dog-walkers, as the course does intersect with hiking trails. Also, be wary of vehicles on the service road on 5 and 7. Course is mostly clean, but there is broken glass on the tee at 8, some graffiti on the trees and fallen trees in the rough make retrieving those errant drives a pain. Teeboxes are natural, undefined, and the ground on them is uneven, so your footwork needs to be very cautious when teeing off or you might eat dirt.
Other Thoughts: A nice course for working on technical shots and improving your short game. Baskets are placed in a way that allows for diverse putting practice. Probably not worth driving more than 10-20 miles to play it, but it makes a great practice course for locals.

My training ground

5+    8/27/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: markfohara
Pros: A very fun and interesting course with lots of challenging shots. With only 9 holes, if you get frustrated, you don't have to play a whole 18 set, but if you play through twice (9th hole ends near the 1st tee) It's almost as fun as playing a real 18 hole
Cons: Some of the holes are hard to see from the tee, and there's no real good map anywhere. The course would be more fun if there was an easy to understand guide of some sort. It's also hard to find the first hole if you've never been there before
Other Thoughts: I've seen this entire course change it's location from the big open field to the woods in the back. This is the closest course to my home, and one i frequent, but i feel it could be beter. There's even one hole where if you're good enough, it's an easy hole in one.

Nice Hilly Terrain For Course!

1    8/10/2011   8/22/2011
Pros: The High Plains course plays down below the picnic area in lovely wooded, hilly area. It's a grand area for a disc course golf course. The course from the shorts is definitely a recreational or beginner with only # 4 playing over 230 feet. It plays longer from the Longs but I wasn't always able to determine which tee Iwas playing from. But in spite of these relatively short distances, the courses offers some challenge with it's tight windows and hilly nature. It's too bad that the parks dept. won't allow any more permanent signage or teepads because they both lacking here. The teesigns are just patio bricks lying on the grounds with the info written on them. I'm sure they regularly get thrown into the brush. The teepads are natural and hard to determine where they start and finish. A board at the start would help. How about pavers? Would the parks dept. go for them?
# 8 was my favorite hole from the longs. It's 315', throwing across a tree ridden valley. I liked it a lot.
Cons: I's really like to see some kind of simple improvement made to the teepads here. At least, bury a 2" x 4" at the front of the pad. Man, you should be able to work with the parks department ton the pads and some kind of simple signage that is non-permanent in nature. Almost every other course in the country is managing to make it work.
Other Thoughts: There's a sign at the beginning notifying golfers that this course will be removed if they don't start picking up after themselves. Then I get to about three baskets in a row where the baskets are being using as trash cans with cans, glass bottles and plastic bottles stacked on top of the baskets. It was disgusting! I packed as many out as I could squeeze into my bag. Pick up after yourself guys, freaking slobs! Don't screw up and lose this course. Sounds like the parks guys already have their panties in a knot.

Fun Little Course

5+    3/8/2011   3/9/2011
Review By: jcardozo
Pros: Short holes make for easy pars and a few easy birds along the way. That's not to say that this course is not challenging though. Very tight fairways. Good elevation changes and a clean course. Also, the course has a wide open area right by the parking area to work on some distance shots.
Cons: My biggest complaint is that some areas cross streams/brooks and there's not always a clear path across without getting wet. That's obviously not the fault of the course, but just know you may end up with a wet shoe or two...
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a great little course with short holes. On a few of the holes, I drive with my Roc (midrange) so as not to overshoot the basket.
Despite most holes being in the 150'-250' range, the tight fairways make it very challenging. Miss a fairway by too much and you can easily end up with a bogey or even a double.
I've played this course upwards of 10 times and have never seen multiple tees or even anywhere other than the tee box to consider shooting from. It's nice that the box has a marker of where the basket is as you may not always be able to see the basket from the box.

still in progress

1    10/12/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: gottafixit
Pros: Hand painted tee signs
fun mix of holes
Next tee arrow at the bottom of the basket
Cons: tees not the easiest to see or well defined
could only find one set of tees
some fairways need definition
no map
Other Thoughts: I love woods courses and this was a fun little course but it still has some progress to be made. There is no kiosk yet or map available but the first tee isn't hard to find. The tees I could find were marked with flags and had a nice hand painted tee sign somewhere near them. I only found one tee per hole which I believe were the shorter ones. The holes had a good mix of shots and used the land well to maximize on the elevation changes avilable(8 I think come to mind nice uphill shot). At the bottom of the basket there were next tee arrows which helped but the paths were not always well define and the tees were sometimes hard to spot. I never found 7's tee I just shot from atop the grassy knoll. I also felt that a few holes could benifit from some more defintion(6). All in all it's a great little course that has the potential to get better. Define the tees(couldn't fine the second set), fairways, and paths(line them with downed trees maybe), and supply a map and this could jump at least disc.

Fun way to spend an hour or two near New Haven

2-4    4/19/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: JHern
Pros: I woke up early one morning on a visit to Yale University, and walked to the bus stop next to the very same commons where, legend has it, students long ago tossed pie tins back and forth from the "Frisbee Pie Company" and then the rest is history. As I pondered this, I was obviously craving a round of disc golf, and I knew that Connecticut has the landscape to make for some really great courses, however, the course directories had very few options. Then I found out about this new course.

After a lengthy bus trip and walk to the park, I arrived at this brand new course in the suburban spread called Orange. I brought only my ESP Cyclone and a Pro Challenger in my luggage, and these discs were more than sufficient. I don't think there was any hole much longer than 300' (this is really good for beginners!).

This course is set back in semi-mature woods behind a community park, with a surprising amount of topography in the form of hills and small valleys. The brush was dense, and the fairways were tight, just the way I like them.

The holes were all very well-placed, I never once had the thought that the designers should have put them in any other locations. The hole lengths and over all balance and flow of the course was perfect for the property. There was a variety of shots off the tee, left, right, straight, up, and down. None of the holes was a gimme, since the slightest error could lead to bogey in many instances. I imagine a lot of local players will have a good time out there.
Cons: The property is somewhat small and remote, but this isn't as big a deal in a car culture. Being from California, I was also craving a bit more length and challenge.
Other Thoughts: The course was brand new, so I can't comment on lack of signage, since I know they are continuing to improve it. A fellow named Matt was very kind to give me detailed directions to and around the course, even though it was in its formative stages. He mentioned that they might be able to expand into other areas of the park in the future to make a full 18, and add a variety of other kinds of holes. This would be very cool!