Highbridge, WI
Highbridge Hills - Highbridge Gold Share
Uploaded By: jhgonzo Hole #8 (Taken 5/2008)
Hole #8 White Tee

1 2 3 Next >
 hardcore

5+    6/22/2009   9/23/2009
Review By: djphilzy
Pros: I love gold! I like to play it alone or with friends.I like to take in that wonderful view of the world that you get on hole 1, looking out from the tee. I love the challenge. Wildlife rules this course. There is everything from bear dens, to bird nests. I like any course that I can enjoy if I'm not even playing, and this is that type of course. John, the owner puts his heart into all his courses! He mows the grass daily....and I mean all day! This dude is committed.
Cons: Uh... maybe some dribble about the sheer roughness of the course...oh wait....that's what I drive 5 hours for. I won't complain about the pay to play price cause it is super cheap considering you get a whole day of highbridge! So i suppose you I have no actual complaints.
Other Thoughts: Not for weenies! A few suggestions...In the hot weather season eat a good breakfast show up early, I mean no later than 8 am; once your done you eat lunch take a nap or what ever you want to do; then play a nice woodland course like the bear woodland or woodland greens.
Do yourselves a favor and spot for your boys and have them spot for you! you will get through the course in record time if you don't have to explore the rough for every throw.

Don't be fooled by the distance hype, this is balanced disc golf harmony!

5+    5/26/2010   8/17/2009
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 10/21/2010
Pros: There is a lot to be said about Gold. First as you hear all the time, you get some amazing distance. I'm not just talking about the 1300' hole, but 700'+ corridors through some wooded holes, and long wide open bombers that play across hills, uphill, and downhill. There are still more wooded holes here than on Granite, and the design is once again superb. Gold takes all the courses up a notch by mixing extreme elements of everything! What I mean is that you'll start out wide open on a 600' hole. halfway down the fairway you'll have to turn into the woods and thread the needle down a 300' corridor. Beside that, you'll realize that there is OB long grass or some pond in a blind location hidden off that neatly elevated tee you just flung from. This course is truly excellent and throwing well here really makes you feel like you've accomplished something. I threw 68 here and felt AWESOME during one round.

As discussed in other reviews (and see the pictures), there are quite a few signature holes that make great use of the old ball golf features like island greens and elevated tee boxes.
Cons: This course plays more open than blueberry (con) and will favor a big arm, but you still need accuracy (pro). I don't penalize the openness here as much as granite, because it is not as unbalanced on Gold. Same ole complaints about tee signs not being as good as they should for a disc golf complex, and not showing the pin position of the day.
Other Thoughts: Once again, you'll love that you made the trek out to play this course. After your warmup at Blueberry, come hit Gold and be prepared to bring it all. You'll love the land, course, and your whole experience. Once again, stay here all weekend and play every course more than once!

[Side note: you'll rarely hear me talk about how long a course took to play, how long it was, or how hilly it was. I actually seek out these grueling and extreme courses. I LIKE to get a workout while discin.]
UPDATE: In an attempt to quantitatively analyze my ratings and reviews I have come up with this spreadsheet. Highbridge Gold fairs better than I had initially rated it. I am bumping up from a 4.5 to a 5 as it is one of the Top 5 courses I have played.

This is a 5-disc course!! Not doubt about it, despite great tee signs, garbage cans, and other nice amenities, the design, terrain, topography, and setting is amazing. I am bumping my rating down to 4.5, simply to see other courses in the Top 10 on the front page. I think's it's only right to showcase more courses on the front page to new disc golfers visiting this great website. That's why I keep lobbying for a Top 25 to be displayed on the homepage.

A "Golden" Opportunity to Experience Something Unique, Exciting, and Challenging!

2-4    5/23/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: jhgonzo
Pros: 1. Finally, a course where you don't have to play everything as 3s...and where it would be almost foolish to do so!
2. A perfect mix of elevation, distance, some woods, and finesse shots.
3. Very memorable holes, especially "Double Eagle," the monster 1325' downhill par 6, and "Treasure Island," a rare opportunity in disc golf to play a par 3 island green.
4. The feeling that you've accomplished something wonderful at the end, regardless of what your scorecard or mates tell you.
Cons: Hmmm...I got nothing. Even the ticks weren't that bad this year. Maybe a few extra garbage cans, but even that wasn't much of an issue.
Other Thoughts: Definitely not for beginners. Heck, this could even be considered out of my league, but if you love disc golf and want a challenge, this is a MUST-PLAY! We started with a group of 8, and by the end we only had 5 people finishing up. It took us about 6 hours altogether (including just hanging out at the tees on some holes after battling a particularly beastly hole previous).

A Fools Gold..

2-4    7/19/2008   12/25/2008
Review By: Stashride
Pros: Magnificant views..powerful top level championship course..Cant think of a course in Wisconsin harder than this monster..score cards can be found at honor system pro shop where all day play costs $10..Honka House is a reasonable stay for about $25 a night if youre trying to make a weekend out of it..give jon and tick a call..One hole is a legitimate par 6..1335ft!!! I lost 2 discs on the same hole!! All the pins are yellow..innova pins..
Cons: LONG..My guy rbt always gets too drunk too finish..not for beginners or casual frolfers..you need to be committed and have some double straps on your bag..
Other Thoughts: Play this Beast early in the day or you will never finish it..A group of 4, beverages and party favors and I defy you to finish b4 the sun falls..

Championship course in Highbridge, WI

10/20/2007   7/30/2008
Review By: Tiggertooth
Pros: Very challenging course, but very fair. Lots of long holes, great mix of par 4s, 5s, and even a par 6. Beautiful vistas, and some interesting hole layouts.

The site has at least 4 other courses on it, so visiting this course ensures plenty of golf. It took 2 of us 4 hours to play the course, both because we didn't know the course and because of the yardage. This one will wear your legs out.

The baskets are color coded, signs were great, the course was in great shape. There's an island green on #16, which is a rarity. Overall, this is the single best course in terms of fair challenge and feeling like I was at a championship course that I've ever played. I enjoyed it the most of the courses at the Highbridge Hills location.

There were also decent scorecards on site.
Cons: Only a few complaints. First, there wasn't much water. The course is located all over a hill, so there isn't much opportunity for natural ponds. There's a few man-made small pools which provide hazards, but that's about it.

Second, there was some trash strewn about. For something of this quality, I had hoped to see more trash cans, and/or someone taking care of the course. It is a shame, because the course is really stellar otherwise.

Finally, it was occasionally hard to know where you needed to go next. The course (when we played it) was still fairly new, paths weren't very worn, and even with a scorecard it took some time to figure out where the next hole was. In short, if you've never played it before, this course is going to take most the afternoon to play.
Other Thoughts: A friend and I wanted to finally play a "real" championship course, rather than the local courses that we had been playing. We took a DG trip to Highbridge Hills for a weekend, and boy did we get some exercise. This course was the "best" of the trip, for views, challenge, and overall feeling like we were playing something special. I can imagine better courses (more water, even more interesting holes), but this is certainly the top of the ones I've experienced.

We played 2 courses on Saturday and 2 on Sunday, and were dead tired on both days. Not only are the courses long (this one was +10000ft), but it is all up and down a low mountain, so you're really hiking. Don't come here expecting to get in 3 rounds of golf unless you're in shape and know the course.

We also found ourselves having to scout ahead on many holes. The holes are rarely straight, and there's a lot of trees. So you usually can't see the basket. Even with good signs, it still isn't enough to know what you're really trying to shoot for. So we spent even more time walking the hole, then walking back and playing. There wasn't anyone else in the entire area the day we played, not a single other person on the course, so we could afford to do this.

Was a very memorable trip, and if you're in the area, make sure to play this course. It is $10 to play all day at the site. While I appreciate DG being free in most parks, I have no problem paying for a park with this many courses of this caliber inside a beautiful region. It was worth flying 1000 miles just to play here for 2 full days.

1 2 3 Next >