Lehighton, PA
Riverview Park Share
Uploaded By: phish4rob Hole #14 (Taken 10/2012)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

9 holes? Nope. Try 18...

1    5/7/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: HoosickTony
Pros: 1. Logical layout- It's very easy to navigate except for the three hiccups noted below that could be corrected with more signage.

2. Good use of terrain - Kudos to whomever designed the basket placements on this course, they have really proved that you can make a little terrain go a long way. Several baskets are on top of little hillocks, which means that sometimes you will be putting inside 30 feet horizontally from 5 to 15 feet below the basket. The water does not come in to play too much (I hate losing disks in water, so I call this a plus)

3. Beginner friendly(ish) - Short length means beginners will not feel outclassed by the distance. The narrowness might be frustrating, but hey, you gotta learn control, and what better way?

4. Good mix of right/left/straight - I had to resort to forehand off of the tee on 3 holes, had to annie backhand at least three more tee shots. And on the first hole I had to throw a really slow weak drive to get it to bend far enough left to get around the corner for the birdie.

5. Challenging but fair design - Good shots are rewarded with birdie putts, bad shots are punished, but not too much that you can't make par. You may have tomahawk, bomb, skip, stretch, forehand, backhand, or even roll to get out of the tight spots THAT YOU PUT YOURSELF IN but in most cases there is a way to recover. Some people are going to hate the narrowness, but I for one love trying to thread needles. Ace runs are possible, just not easy.

6. Hanging basket on #18 - Hey, it's been done a lot, but I still love hanging baskets.
Cons: A. Dirt tee boxes - I would hate to see this on a wet day, it must be mud city. Gravel on all boxes would suffice until concrete becomes available. Having said this, you don't need to generate too much torque for such short throws, so the tees work just fine right now.

B. Tee boxes too close to baskets - As this place gets more popular people are going to have to drive with their eyes WIDE open for wayward approaches from the people on the hole behind them. Fencing? Barriers?

C. Shared fairway(s) - I can see why they did it, but 16 and 17 shouldn't share a fairway.

D. Navigational Hiccups - First, there should be a sign from #5 around and back towards #6, but you will find it without too much trouble if you realize you've just walked five holes straight away from your car and the next hole must take you back towards the parking area. Second, the sign leading from #9 to #10 needs to be more prominent. Third, there should be a sign from #17 pointing back across the road to #18.

E. Swamps - I imagine the mosquitoes are fierce in the summer.
Other Thoughts: I only stopped here to play because I was waiting for my girlfriend to get out of surgery at a local hospital and saw this free course less than fifteen minutes away.

I was frankly a bit disappointed when I played the front nine in 25 minutes, then decided to jog it for 18 more holes, finishing 27 holes in an hour. And then I found a sign on a trash can as I was looking for a place to throw away a wrapper , and it said to cross the road for hole 10.

Hole 10? Cool. BACK NINE!

I only had my Roc with me, but it wasn't a problem, other than missing way too many birdie putts. This course is a good place to practice hitting alleys with mid-ranges and putters and to practice recovering from tight places when you miss your alleys.

Other reviewers said this place was full of trash, but I saw way more trash cans than actual trash, and believe me, I was looking, because I needed a mini-disc and I didn't find anything I could use until I crossed the road and found a stray bottle cap. Obviously somebody has been cleaning the place up and setting up new holes, and I applaud them. Keep up the good work. This course was fun, fair, challenging, and an entertaining walk with a disc.

It is a short narrow course wedged in a small area, but hey, if you play this course a lot you will learn to hit gaps and control your disc. It is a good place to practice with a single disc, and it was well worth the stop. While it is not anything to drive 50 miles out of your way to play, it is a little better than your typical course, with nice equipment, nice amenities, and a nice design.

Decent chip and putt course

1    9/3/2010   9/4/2010
Review By: Qwikstreet
Pros: This 9 hole really short course was a quick play for us and was a nice wind down round from playing over at Yetter, Not like that is a big arm course. The tee signs were key in helping us find the baskets. Although it was short the baskets were hardly straight ahead and the woods makes this a technical course. It is well laid out and not a lot of walking in between holes.
Cons: Needs 9 more holes of the same length range.

Possibly the tightest 9 I've ever seen

1    5/19/2010   5/19/2010
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 9 holes with new DIScatcher baskets. Tees are natural and well done. Signs are very nice and accurately fit the hole. Mix of lefty/righty holes with a few near the river, but with plenty of trees bordering the river, the chance of landing one in there is quite low. The holes are VERY short, from the opening 130' to a 239' hole 5, the "signature hole". Little elevation makes it easy going for several rounds. Lots of trash cans. Very scenic with the Lehigh River next to it and the mountain on the other side. Gas station nearby and less than 3 minutes from 248.
Cons: Yes, I realize there was very little room to work with and the layout is well designed, but them trees are hatin'! A few bad kicks and you might as well throw course par into the Lehigh. Fairways are tight and for the most part, very unforgiving. Nothing else really in the immediate vicinity. The trees kill many ace runs.
Other Thoughts: For what it was worth, great job on the course with the little room they have. Plenty of parking. Not worth driving well out of the way for, but if it's on your way or not too far from where you are, stop on over there and give Riverview a ride.