North Wilkesboro, NC
Highland Hills DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mortis Canyon Hole #13 (Taken 8/2013)
Hole #13 Floating Basket

< Prev 1 2 3
One of the best I've played

1    5/22/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: LeeLK
Pros: One of the most fun courses I've played. The extreme elevation change and otherwise unique holes make this an incredibly fun time to watch your discs fly.
Cons: It's a bit tiring, so be ready for a hike. Otherwise, throw a couple discs per hole and have fun.
Other Thoughts: A great twist on a normal fairways-through-the-woods style course. Can't wait to come back.

Awesome course!!

2-4    11/28/2013   12/8/2013
Review By: Disc bro
Pros: Awesome layout,neat basket locations.Marked very well,the club has really done a good job on the course!!i really loved the baskets near the river,over throw and your disc takes a dip!lol
Cons: A lot of climbing,which is ok with me.Exercise is always good!
Other Thoughts: Go play this course!!!

High in the Hills

1    8/23/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Overall it's a mostly wooded short technical course with elevation.

Three sets of tees. The blues are tight and have some harder angles to hit, especially with the elevation changes. The whites have some tough holes but it's mostly easy lines to hit without much danger. I didn't look at the shorts all that much.

Solid mixture in shot types and allows you to be creative with lines. The course has some interesting lines to hit from the blues.

Mixes up more challenging gap hitting holes with wider fairway holes where placement is the key due to elevation/OB.

The course utilizes a creek, logs/rope and the road as OB. It gives parts of the course more teeth where needed and was used well in design and to keep some cramped fairway areas apart.

A couple open holes come in to play at the end over valleys which provides a nice change of pace.

The elevation here doesn't involve any huge up and downs it's more short and undulating. However it does get very steep over short distances and makes you think about your placement and how the disc is landing on greens.

I like how the course mixes in some faster greens with ones that are more plateaued. It gives it a nice mix so you're not constantly worried about rollaways.

The course flows nicely and is easy to follow. Blends the ups, downs and flats in a nice way to keep it interesting.

The signature hole is the #7 waterfall hole. It's very picturesque and is designed nicely.

Equipment - Super bright baskets which I liked because some of the lines are blind. Great hole signage and directional signage. Benches on the holes which were necessary. There's a shelter/bathroom at the parking lot.

Atmosphere - Beautiful little area that gives you a nice secluded feeling on most of the course. Wooded hills with a waterfall.. what could be better in terms of the environment?Course looked well played but not crowded.
Cons: Layout - The main complaint I have here is that there is a stretch on the back 9 that is boring and has that pitch and putt feeling. It's like they had some really strong holes then crammed a bunch in. IMO they should cut go back to 18 and lengthen a few.

There are parts that give you this gimmicky feeling because some of the holes seem jazzed up.

The course needs limbing and has some unclear flight lines. I understand how tough it can be to upkeep a course like this but some of the big downhill holes are almost throw and prays because you can't really see where they're going. There's also lost disc potential due to that and some more overgrown parts.

Equipment - Gravel/Dirt pads. They weren't in bad shape and worked for the most part but not my preferred pad.

Atmosphere - If you're not used to steeper hills be warned it can be a bit slippery in a few parts especially if it's a bit wet. It's not a hard walk but not a cakewalk either.
Other Thoughts: I think it's a pretty fun little course but I think the layout isn't as strong as it could of been. It's a pitch n' putt with quick elevation changes and some jazzed up lines and features mixed in that add to the course but not enough to get the high praise others have given it.

I highly recommend playing it at least once to see for yourself, I did enjoy my round and think it's a good but not great course. If not for the golf but to see this beautiful little park.

Great Course

1    8/9/2013   8/9/2013
Review By: sam.hendley
Pros: Was driving to tennesse and stopped at the smokehouse for lunch (which is totally worth the stop as well) and saw this course was only a mile away. Had to convince my lady friend that we should go but very glad I did. Its a very fun and interesting course though I only got to play 10 holes. Hoping to stop on way back and play other 10.

Overall pros
- great usage of elevation
- interesting hole designs
- 3 pads for different types of challenges
- Great usage of available water.
Cons: Not a lot of cons. Signage for OBs would be nice, I didn't notice there was a river behind the first basket and might have lost my disc if I had put anymore on the throw. There was a road on hole 10 that is probably OB but I didn't know it was there so called it a birdie anyways.
Other Thoughts: Would play again, but its steep, might be tough right after a hard rain. You will get a workout climbing up and down the hills.

Great course for such a small down!

1    10/13/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: chainbangers
Pros: -Most challenging course I've played
-Trash cans and benches and hooks at every hole
-Beautiful course
-Fun mando's and OBs
-Great workout
Cons: -Signage can get a little confusing
-No chances to really do a full power drive

Great potential here.

1    8/25/2012   9/5/2012
Review By: Urban Bobcat
This review was updated on 4/30/2013
Pros: - Several signature holes.
- Very good use of elevation throughout, offering variety in the holes.
- Multiple tee locations.
- Potential to be much more.

This course makes great use of the available elevation! It is easily one of the most exhausting courses to climb at times, which I enjoy for the workout. Previous reviewers were correct about the baskets being nice and bright. It made it fairly easy to find the basket on my first run when I couldn't easily spot it from the tee. I can tell that this course took a healthy amount of work simply to make it safe to traverse, so I applaud the locals for making it happen. There is a lot of potential for making this course more than just fun to play. I'm hoping that others will agree with a few of my cons in order to make some necessary adjustments, turning this course into a destination event.
Cons: - Foliage not well refined for skilled play.
- Some tee pads need concrete or a completely new approach.
- Some safety precautions needed on steep slopes.

While many of the holes are laid out with fair openings through the forrest canopy, I found myself disappointed on several occassions when a lucky shot was favored over skill to make it to the basket. Being from Charlotte, I know that the woods can force some difficult throws when the fairway is tight or you have to hit a corner just right. Although I end up in the trees on many of those holes, I still respect that it was due to a bad throw on my part. What I didn't enjoy from several of the tees on this course, was thinking that I needed a miracle to find a line to the basket off the tee. If there are too many low hanging branches or small trees on a hole that don't contribute to simply forcing a certain type of shot, then I consider the hole cluttered and lacking refinement. If the local club went through and trimmed up several of the holes where unnecessary foliage is in the way, then this would be a course I would suggest fellow players travel to play. Since many of the holes seemed like 90% of the work was done, leaving a very important 10% of trimming to be done, I felt like everything fell a little short of final refinement.

Some of the tees seem borderline dangerous for someone that uses the full pad. Instead of elevating a tee and building up below it, several tees are cut into the earth, giving you a dead end stop to bump your knees into. This is common at many courses for a hole or two, but the size of the pad is usually larger, allowing for run up. The ones here were short and made me very concious of not knocking any edge or tripping when I should have been focusing on my throw.

More handrails and roping are needed in some areas. It seemed like hand line was provided, at times, when it wasn't needed. Then I'd go a bit further down a hill to more treacherous areas, and there was nothing to hold on to. This is mostly a safety concern and doesn't effect the play of the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is really cool. It has several different tee locations, making it possible to feel like you're playing three different courses if you mix it up for each round. There are also several holes that could be considered signature here. I like when a course offers several looks from the tee that you remember for one reason or another. I will certainly go back to play this course again, even if it is still in need of some trimming. I have no doubt though, that the course's full potential falls short due to its tendency to favor a lucky throw over a skill shot. As I stated before, a bit of trimming around the course will really make the holes shine and feel fair at the same time, which would push me to spread the word about Wilkesboro disc. I'd like that to be a reality, so I hope to see this refinement over time.

Just a lot of fun

1    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 8/26/2013
Pros: Elevation! this course uses it very well and often and it rairly if ever feels like its overdone or an impossible shot. And with all of the elevation there has been a lot of work put in to make sure that transitions are safe and well groomed.

I dont get to say this often but I did not see much trash at all.

There was a solid mix of left right and straight shots overall and the course flowed really well. There were a few times we scratched out heads a little but for the most part it was easy for first timers to navigate.

The baskets are awesome! I have never seen those bright orange (kingpins?) baskets before.

While there were many fun and beautiful holes or greens hole 7 with the creek down the middle stands out in my mind.

I like the idea of using logs as ob lines on holes and the rule of the red tee being a drop zone all the time made the course play tough if you got in trouble.

For the most part the natural pads were not to bad(see cons)

I felt like the teesigns were well located so thatpeople playing any tee could see them without much issue and the nice scorecards provided was definatly a plus.
Cons: Some of the Natural pads were boxedin which always irritates me because you cannot safely follow through. there were only a few however.

even though the locals have done a hell of a job making sliping and tripping issues a minimum it can still be an issue. Be careful.

Smelled a little near the sewer.

there were very few benches or trashcans.

Other Thoughts: Overall this is a great course for a small community and is well worth a road trip to play. I really enjoyed playing this course and plan on going back in the near future. Kudos to the locals who have put in the time and hard work to build a great course!

This one is well worth a road trip to play!

Great fun

1    8/2/2012   8/9/2012
Review By: ikester69
Pros: Very challenging. And the corse was nothing like I have ever played. I went by myself and met the local club having an event. They invited me to play and were very nice and informative.
Cons: Only thing I could complain about was that someone that has never played the corse it was a little hard to know where you were throwing.
Other Thoughts: Bring extra discs this corse can eat them if you are not careful. Bring good shoes you will get a workout.

Wow... is a word that comes to mind

1    4/28/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 6/29/2011
Pros:
- Gimicky Stuff. Lance and his crew came up with some extremely cool and unique "Gimicky Stuff" for the course. Some of the most unique raised baskets and hanging baskets I have ever seen. (However, also see cons). Their hanging basket has to be one of the most secure hanging basket structures I have ever seen, and their elevated basket on the last hole was a engineering masterpiece.
- Amenities Stuff. Stairs, bridges, trails, benches, tee-signs, etc… all done with the utmost care. The course looks like it was professionally installed by a landscaping company as opposed to just some disc golfers who slapped it together over a few weekends.
- Use of Elevation and Natural Features. Wow… is the word that comes to mind. From the extreme drop on Hole 1, to playing along the river on Hole 2, to climbing up the hill on Hole 3, to playing down the massive drop on Hole 4, to playing back along the river on Hole 5, etc… all the way through Hole 18… the Holes used the natural features amazingly.
- Triangulation. If you are going to have multiple tee-pads for every Hole (white, red, blue), triangulating them from the previous pin is only way to do it correctly. Meaning that, the shorts aren't simply shorter than the longs, they're completely different… playing from a different angle. This triangulation of the next tee-pads also meant that everyone has an equal distant walk (most of the time) to their tee-pad (red, white, blue) from the previous pin.
- Gorgeous Woods. Wow… is the word that came to mind several times as I walked through the forest that the course plays through. Some of the largest trees and most beautiful forest I have ever had the opportunity to play through… which is why I didn't personally enjoy some of the Gimicky Stuff as noted below:
Cons:
- Gimicky Stuff. As noted above, the forest is absolutely beautiful. So, when I came upon the 6th (?) hole and the basket was elevated on a tractor tire, I thought to myself, "That's Ugly. Why in the world would they introduce an ugly tractor tire to this beautiful setting?"… then a few holes later, they introduce even more tractor tires to the forest when they stacked them up 3 high to make another elevated pin position.
- Tee-Pads. I played from the longs and it seemed as if those tee-pads were not as developed as the others. Most of the tee-pads were natural dirt… and on one of them I had to trample a crop of Mayapples that were growing on the tee-pad to get my shot off. In a beautiful forest such as this, I don't want to be trampling mayapples on the tee-pad.
- Overall… North Wilkesboro is an amazingly great course. When one of the most beautiful forests you could ever want to play through combines with elevation and natural features galore, and a disc golf club that has meticulously maintained the course, you get one hell of a disc golf experience - sans the tractor tires. After having designed and installed a course myself, I know how much work this course took to complete… major props to Lance and his crew.

No Hills, No Glory

2-4    4/2/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: bsk1130
Pros: All 20 holes are unique and exciting to play. Very high addiction factor here. Awesome ups and downs, secluded nature setting, and some sneaky ravines and water hazards force you to respect each hole despite their relatively short distances. Top quality par 3 course, and will only get better with age. Bring your shot shaping skills, you will need them. I threw discs that i didn't know still lived in my bag. Some early holes skirt the yadkin river, which will claim your plastic if you are careless, especially #5. The course becomes noticably less treacherous after the first few holes so don't be too inimidated at first, there are quite a few ace-ables out there. Oh and I was told to look out for bears. Top quality and very colorful baskets, if you miss them its your fault. I rate this course right up there with Yadkinville, Castle Hayne, and Johnson Street. Not sure if anything around here can compete with Ashe county but this sucker sure is tryin, they may be kin somehow. (i haven't played the Charlotte area yet) Played 2 rounds with a "beginner" and he had a great time as well, we can't wait to go back and find those bears....
Cons: Hole 16 seemed like the only hole to let her rip( i played white tees) and the asphalt to the left will chew your disc up if you don't put enough juice on it. Some holes have treacherous footing, was not a big deal to me, but it may be to you.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to Jim for pulling my bud's shark out of the water! This was my first review on DGCR, i am happy to give a shout out to H!ghland H!lls.

< Prev 1 2 3