North Wilkesboro, NC
Highland Hills DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #17 (Taken 1/2015)

Great potential here.

1    8/25/2012   9/5/2012
Review By: Urban Bobcat
This review was updated on 4/30/2013
Pros: - Several signature holes.
- Very good use of elevation throughout, offering variety in the holes.
- Multiple tee locations.
- Potential to be much more.

This course makes great use of the available elevation! It is easily one of the most exhausting courses to climb at times, which I enjoy for the workout. Previous reviewers were correct about the baskets being nice and bright. It made it fairly easy to find the basket on my first run when I couldn't easily spot it from the tee. I can tell that this course took a healthy amount of work simply to make it safe to traverse, so I applaud the locals for making it happen. There is a lot of potential for making this course more than just fun to play. I'm hoping that others will agree with a few of my cons in order to make some necessary adjustments, turning this course into a destination event.
Cons: - Foliage not well refined for skilled play.
- Some tee pads need concrete or a completely new approach.
- Some safety precautions needed on steep slopes.

While many of the holes are laid out with fair openings through the forrest canopy, I found myself disappointed on several occassions when a lucky shot was favored over skill to make it to the basket. Being from Charlotte, I know that the woods can force some difficult throws when the fairway is tight or you have to hit a corner just right. Although I end up in the trees on many of those holes, I still respect that it was due to a bad throw on my part. What I didn't enjoy from several of the tees on this course, was thinking that I needed a miracle to find a line to the basket off the tee. If there are too many low hanging branches or small trees on a hole that don't contribute to simply forcing a certain type of shot, then I consider the hole cluttered and lacking refinement. If the local club went through and trimmed up several of the holes where unnecessary foliage is in the way, then this would be a course I would suggest fellow players travel to play. Since many of the holes seemed like 90% of the work was done, leaving a very important 10% of trimming to be done, I felt like everything fell a little short of final refinement.

Some of the tees seem borderline dangerous for someone that uses the full pad. Instead of elevating a tee and building up below it, several tees are cut into the earth, giving you a dead end stop to bump your knees into. This is common at many courses for a hole or two, but the size of the pad is usually larger, allowing for run up. The ones here were short and made me very concious of not knocking any edge or tripping when I should have been focusing on my throw.

More handrails and roping are needed in some areas. It seemed like hand line was provided, at times, when it wasn't needed. Then I'd go a bit further down a hill to more treacherous areas, and there was nothing to hold on to. This is mostly a safety concern and doesn't effect the play of the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is really cool. It has several different tee locations, making it possible to feel like you're playing three different courses if you mix it up for each round. There are also several holes that could be considered signature here. I like when a course offers several looks from the tee that you remember for one reason or another. I will certainly go back to play this course again, even if it is still in need of some trimming. I have no doubt though, that the course's full potential falls short due to its tendency to favor a lucky throw over a skill shot. As I stated before, a bit of trimming around the course will really make the holes shine and feel fair at the same time, which would push me to spread the word about Wilkesboro disc. I'd like that to be a reality, so I hope to see this refinement over time.

Just a lot of fun

1    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 8/26/2013
Pros: Elevation! this course uses it very well and often and it rairly if ever feels like its overdone or an impossible shot. And with all of the elevation there has been a lot of work put in to make sure that transitions are safe and well groomed.

I dont get to say this often but I did not see much trash at all.

There was a solid mix of left right and straight shots overall and the course flowed really well. There were a few times we scratched out heads a little but for the most part it was easy for first timers to navigate.

The baskets are awesome! I have never seen those bright orange (kingpins?) baskets before.

While there were many fun and beautiful holes or greens hole 7 with the creek down the middle stands out in my mind.

I like the idea of using logs as ob lines on holes and the rule of the red tee being a drop zone all the time made the course play tough if you got in trouble.

For the most part the natural pads were not to bad(see cons)

I felt like the teesigns were well located so thatpeople playing any tee could see them without much issue and the nice scorecards provided was definatly a plus.
Cons: Some of the Natural pads were boxedin which always irritates me because you cannot safely follow through. there were only a few however.

even though the locals have done a hell of a job making sliping and tripping issues a minimum it can still be an issue. Be careful.

Smelled a little near the sewer.

there were very few benches or trashcans.

Other Thoughts: Overall this is a great course for a small community and is well worth a road trip to play. I really enjoyed playing this course and plan on going back in the near future. Kudos to the locals who have put in the time and hard work to build a great course!

This one is well worth a road trip to play!

Great fun

1    8/2/2012   8/9/2012
Review By: ikester69
Pros: Very challenging. And the corse was nothing like I have ever played. I went by myself and met the local club having an event. They invited me to play and were very nice and informative.
Cons: Only thing I could complain about was that someone that has never played the corse it was a little hard to know where you were throwing.
Other Thoughts: Bring extra discs this corse can eat them if you are not careful. Bring good shoes you will get a workout.

Wow... is a word that comes to mind

1    4/28/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 6/29/2011
- Gimicky Stuff. Lance and his crew came up with some extremely cool and unique "Gimicky Stuff" for the course. Some of the most unique raised baskets and hanging baskets I have ever seen. (However, also see cons). Their hanging basket has to be one of the most secure hanging basket structures I have ever seen, and their elevated basket on the last hole was a engineering masterpiece.
- Amenities Stuff. Stairs, bridges, trails, benches, tee-signs, etc... all done with the utmost care. The course looks like it was professionally installed by a landscaping company as opposed to just some disc golfers who slapped it together over a few weekends.
- Use of Elevation and Natural Features. Wow... is the word that comes to mind. From the extreme drop on Hole 1, to playing along the river on Hole 2, to climbing up the hill on Hole 3, to playing down the massive drop on Hole 4, to playing back along the river on Hole 5, etc... all the way through Hole 18... the Holes used the natural features amazingly.
- Triangulation. If you are going to have multiple tee-pads for every Hole (white, red, blue), triangulating them from the previous pin is only way to do it correctly. Meaning that, the shorts aren't simply shorter than the longs, they're completely different... playing from a different angle. This triangulation of the next tee-pads also meant that everyone has an equal distant walk (most of the time) to their tee-pad (red, white, blue) from the previous pin.
- Gorgeous Woods. Wow... is the word that came to mind several times as I walked through the forest that the course plays through. Some of the largest trees and most beautiful forest I have ever had the opportunity to play through... which is why I didn't personally enjoy some of the Gimicky Stuff as noted below:
- Gimicky Stuff. As noted above, the forest is absolutely beautiful. So, when I came upon the 6th (?) hole and the basket was elevated on a tractor tire, I thought to myself, "That's Ugly. Why in the world would they introduce an ugly tractor tire to this beautiful setting?"... then a few holes later, they introduce even more tractor tires to the forest when they stacked them up 3 high to make another elevated pin position.
- Tee-Pads. I played from the longs and it seemed as if those tee-pads were not as developed as the others. Most of the tee-pads were natural dirt... and on one of them I had to trample a crop of Mayapples that were growing on the tee-pad to get my shot off. In a beautiful forest such as this, I don't want to be trampling mayapples on the tee-pad.
- Overall... North Wilkesboro is an amazingly great course. When one of the most beautiful forests you could ever want to play through combines with elevation and natural features galore, and a disc golf club that has meticulously maintained the course, you get one hell of a disc golf experience - sans the tractor tires. After having designed and installed a course myself, I know how much work this course took to complete... major props to Lance and his crew.

No Hills, No Glory

2-4    4/2/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: bsk1130
Pros: All 20 holes are unique and exciting to play. Very high addiction factor here. Awesome ups and downs, secluded nature setting, and some sneaky ravines and water hazards force you to respect each hole despite their relatively short distances. Top quality par 3 course, and will only get better with age. Bring your shot shaping skills, you will need them. I threw discs that i didn't know still lived in my bag. Some early holes skirt the yadkin river, which will claim your plastic if you are careless, especially #5. The course becomes noticably less treacherous after the first few holes so don't be too inimidated at first, there are quite a few ace-ables out there. Oh and I was told to look out for bears. Top quality and very colorful baskets, if you miss them its your fault. I rate this course right up there with Yadkinville, Castle Hayne, and Johnson Street. Not sure if anything around here can compete with Ashe county but this sucker sure is tryin, they may be kin somehow. (i haven't played the Charlotte area yet) Played 2 rounds with a "beginner" and he had a great time as well, we can't wait to go back and find those bears....
Cons: Hole 16 seemed like the only hole to let her rip( i played white tees) and the asphalt to the left will chew your disc up if you don't put enough juice on it. Some holes have treacherous footing, was not a big deal to me, but it may be to you.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to Jim for pulling my bud's shark out of the water! This was my first review on DGCR, i am happy to give a shout out to H!ghland H!lls.

Makings of something special

2-4    5/19/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 10/15/2012
Pros: Highland Hills is a good course with untapped potential for greatness. The holes with elevation offer fun, challenge, and general greatness. It's the other parts of the course that need to play catch up.
- You get a sense of the quality of the course as soon as you get out of your car. Hole #1 tees off from the parking lot (unless you're playing the short tees) and plays to a downhill wooded basket. As with many holes, there's a definite risk/reward factor on this hole, but there's also a bit of the luck factor - hills = potential rolling shots.
- Great wooded, elevated course overall. Very good natural beauty, especially on the front 9. I also like how the Yadkin River comes into play on #2, 4 & 5.
- #7 might offer the most natural beauty of any hole I've played. Amazing view of the water, hills, woods standing on the tee pad. I was skeptical about the hole after reading about the fairway was the creek, but they pull it off. This hole wouldn't work if it were longer, but it's set up perfect the way it is.
- Great tee signs. If they're not the best I've seen, definitely in the top handful. I haven't seen (or can't remember) ever seeing tee signs even mark where they are in relationship to the tees. Very, very helpful, especially on the holes where the three tees are spread out.
- I was a big fan of the bright orange baskets. They were very easy to spot, which is always a huge plus on wooded holes.
- Course is easy to navigate. When you're standing at the baskets on many holes, you can easily see the next holes tees.
- Lots of work and effort has gone into amenities. The warning sign and ropes on #4 are a good safety precaution. Lots of benches. Good specific OB signs on certain holes. I like how they explain what's OB and where to re-throw from. Also, the "welcome disc golfers" and "come back soon" along the park road are a nice touch.
- I've never seen a course have an honor system for loaner discs. Granted they're written all over and couldn't get sold anywhere, it's a great way to reach out to newbies.
Cons: I had such high hopes for the course, and even though it was mostly great, there were a few glaring problems that couldn't be overlooked. I hope, and feel, all of the problems are due to the course being so new, and still in the "work in progress" phase.
- Too many holes are uninspiring, short, and feel too cramped. Here's why it was frustrating. Based on the rusting, ancient playground equipment and one basketball goal in the parking lot, I'm guessing the park isn't used for much other than disc golf. That said, some holes could be lengthened, toughened and spread out. The problem area was #8 - 13, with the exception of #10. All of these holes were a combination of flat, short, relatively straight and/or relatively challenge free.
- #18 simply needs to be removed. I know this course has 20 holes, but if you don't play the extra 2, you need something better than this to close with.
- A little more TLC throughout the course. Some hills and paths could use more steps. I played 2 days after it rained and had an interesting time navigating some of trails up and down hills.
Other Thoughts: Highland really felt a lot like Glenn C. Hilton in Hickory, with a little bit of Timmons (Greenville, SC) mixed in. This course has more elevation to work with, and could one day be just as good, or better than Hilton, if it's utilized.
- I thought it was interesting they offer an alternative loop to the first six holes. On the tee for #6, there's a sign directing you back to #3 if you're playing the alternative loop. As slippery as the steps to #3 can be, and after reading other reviews, maybe this alternate loop should be the real loop.
- Others may disagree with me, and I'm sure I'll get enough thumbs downs, but I think the negatives that were listed above are actually good problems. I don't expect the problems to go away overnight, but it's a realistic expectation that over the next several years the club will see what works and doesn't work on the course, and how some holes could be improved. I expect this course to look very different several years down the road.
- This course has all the makings of a hidden gem. Just down settle for good, when greatness is possible. Based on the several filler holes, I'm "only" giving it a 3.0. With a little more work, a 4.0 or higher seems very realistic. Still, everyone in the area should be checking this place out.

Highland Delivers!

1    3/30/2011   4/20/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - The people responsible for putting this course in the ground (and maintaining it) deserve plaudits. Fast greens, crazy elevation, raised pin positions, water, great risk/reward, and awesome amenities are brought together in a secluded and lovely park.
- Outstanding use of elevation throughout. Perhaps the best I've seen in terms of squeezing out every last thrill from the awesome land available to the designers. Risk/reward is maximized on almost every green. The landing zones often are miniscule, yet always fair. Aggressive players that hit their lines will be rewarded with deuce opportunities, but the ever-present risk of rolling away lends a certain legitimacy to a more cautious approach, if executed well. Putting skills are tested throughout, often with unsure or uncomfortable footing due to the elevation.
- Three sets of tees give pretty much each hole three unique looks at the pin. Rarely did the tees add merely distance. One could mix and match their favorite tees on each hole to "customize" a round. With so many different looks and angles, one could play this course a long while before it became old hat.
- Great diversity between hole types, although extremely long holes aren't included. Each hole brings some surprise, from #1's green to the hole with the mando and bamboo wall designed to force a particular shot. #7 actually throws up a small waterfall. Outstanding!
- Spectacular amenities: incredibly descriptive signage throughout the course never leaves doubt as to the location of the 3 sets of pads for each hole, pin positions, mandatories, out-of-bounds, or the direction to the next tee; large bright rubber-coated hooks upon which to hang bags; stairways to ease passage; and perhaps most importantly due to the elevation, benches. Score cards found by #1.
Cons: - I do not consider this a con; however, there are many people who might, so I'll mention the fact that this course will give you a work out. Expect a lot of ups and downs, and if it has recently rained, slippery slopes upon which traction is dicey at best. Nothing is egregiously dangerous though, and the addition of stairs in the worst areas largely mitigates any true problem.
- A lot of old junk can be found lying about in certain spots. Sometimes more interesting than off-putting, actually. Again, not so much of a real con as an off-beat characteristic of the course.
Other Thoughts: - An interesting and charming quirk to this course can be found in the remnants of what appears to be a 1950's park replete with ancient playground equipment in the form of a large metal turtle as well as the eerie ghost-like elephants and horses upon which to ride.
- The park that Highland Hills is located in seemed extremely DG-oriented. It didn't appear as though any other sort of park activity occured. The ancient playground equipment certainly hadn't attracted any children for probably a generation or two, and there wasn't much of a walkable path for people with dogs, at least that I saw.
- This course was played before the addition of the 19th and 20th hole, so this review reflects the old 18 hole layout.

1    4/11/2011   4/11/2011
Review By: Coolsizzler
Pros: This is a great course. You have the option to play from 3 different sets of tee pads. The scenery through out the whole course is beautiful. The bright yellow and orange baskets are very easy to spot. Best signs, nice man made bridges, and a bench on every hole.
Cons: It can be a little slick on holes 3 and 4, especially after a rain. Shoes with good traction is highly suggested.
Other Thoughts: This course is great because it offers some relaxed holes, and some more challenging holes. I would recommend this course to anybody.

Manly Man Disc Golf

1    4/8/2011   4/9/2011
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 6/20/2011
Pros: Best par 54 course I've ever played. Beautiful scenery, terrific elevation, clever hole design that never seemed repetitive, the works. You've got 3 sets of tees and the long tees aren't just the regular tees except farther back, they actually give separate lines. You've got to navigate slopes and hillsides, creeks, valleys, and avoid a river and some designated OB (road mostly).

The course plays mostly in the woods, with downhill bombs, across valleys aka hillside to hillside, and along valleys, creeks, and slopes. Not really any "uphill march of death" holes where you feel like you're trying to scale Mt. Everest. You've got for your discing pleasure a hanging basket (#13), elevated baskets, mandos, a bamboo wall, etc. The baskets themselves are extremely visible, fluorescent orange Disk King's with chartreuse poles. These baskets catch perfectly.

The hole variety is great, no two holes seem the same. Big hyzers/anhyzers, hyzer-flips, flicks, OH and any other tricks up your sleeve can be called upon. The only playing variable that's not really present is length, all the holes are honest par 3's, no long 4's or 5's. It's basically a pitch and putt for mountain men.

Amenities: Top notch. Bench on every hole, bag hangers everywhere, a bathroom at the shelter, tee signs are ridiculously helpful, next tee arrows keep you from wasting precious energy looking for tees. They've even got loaner discs to borrow @ hole #1, don't be a cad and return them b/c they operate on the honor system. Not much for the rest of the family to do, there's a couple of sad playgrounds that look like they're from the 1950s (I felt like I was at one of the model towns they used for nuclear bomb tests out in the desert), a short basketball goal (~9' tall) and that's it except for nature to look at.
Cons: Update: See Other Thoughts.

Fat guy advisory: Course is a workout if you eat as much as you disc. It's not terribly hard or exerting if you play flawlessly and stay on the fairway but it's very easy to get treejected down the hillside.

The course is not super hard but feels that way thanks to 2 things: Elevation and natural tees. The long, steep walking you do b/w holes and retrieving discs wears you slap out. The white tees were pretty playable but a few of the blue tees were just spots on the hillside to throw from, impossible to x-step. Some steps cut into the trails up and down the steeper hills would be a welcome addition.

Be careful on the slopes, much of it is soft dirt and gives away easily. While the course is very well maintained, it's easy to throw or have a disc roll into a brush pile of felled trees and briers on a few holes, removal of these would be perfect.

Hole #8 is the only dumb hole, it smacks of a filler hole. There's no line all the way to the basket, it's a mando enforced L-shaped hyzer through several skinny trees. You also have to cross hole #6's fairway to go to #3, though it shouldn't be a safety hazard unless Stevie Wonder is teeing off on hole #6, drunk. Also, I question the necessity of the blue mando on the bamboo hole.

These little green plants that grow all over the place smell kind of musky, almost like body odor.

Some of the holes have some leftover garbage (80's beer bottles, tires, etc) from when apparently there was nothing to do in the park but toss some junk away.
Other Thoughts: Update: Why now a 4.0? Haven't seen much progress in the tee department and nature is trying to reclaim the fairways. On a positive note, the steep fairway on #4 now has a zig zag trail cut into it. Some branches could use some trimming as well but it's still similar to the butt-kicking I got at Renny but actually fun and a heck of a lot prettier to look at. You could argue that there are no holes over water, not enough open holes, and no long, par 4's or 5's and you'd be right but I didn't miss them, not one bit. Every hole had a bit of clever to them, the terrain/obstacles were never monotonous and it's as pretty of a course in a public park (a park where only DG'ers seem to inhabit, mind you) as you can get.

Fave/signature hole: Probably #1 b/c it sets the tone, both in fun factor and in challenge. It's a downhill bomb that makes you contemplate the best line. Hole #7 is also gorgeous, a short but sweet hole along a mountain creek. The river is nice too, but you can definitely toss a disc into it, as my brother found out.

Need that ace!

5+    4/4/2011   4/4/2011
Review By: Zac Cooper
Pros: This course is a wonderful, overall course. Most complain about the treacherous walking but if you aren't dumb and you take your time you will have fun and enjoy the hike on this course. That is one of my favorite things about this course; the hike. The scenery is great and now that it is spring time things are looking even better. This course is full of potential ace shots. Getting my first ace on hole 7 a week ago, I am looking forward for other ace runs on many of the other holes. The baskets are amazing here, along with the hooks to hold the bags and the man made bridges are a must!
Cons: Some of the holes do not complement this course. Hole 18 is a terrible way to end a round. An ace is possible (as with almost any hole) but I think 18 takes the fun away from the rest of the course. I don't know if it is other players but i'm getting tired of finding beer bottles and trash being left in the park and out on the course.
Other Thoughts: Aside from the few cons that I listed this course is awesome to play. I have played this course over 20 times and with each time out I keep getting better. Hope you enjoy!