San Marcos, CA
Uploaded By: Rizbee Hole #17

Putter/Midrange holes

1    10/20/2012   10/23/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
Pros: Nice baskets and beautiful campus. I only played the campus holes (holes 7-16). Layout is pretty easy to figure out, but a map may be recommended to play the other holes located on the outskirts of campus. This would be a great course to take a beginner out to or to work on your midrange/putter game (most holes less than 200 ft). Most holes should be birdies for the intermediate to advanced player.
Cons: As an intermediate player, I found these holes to be too short (most holes less than 100-150ft range), which didn't keep my interest. Keep in mind I only played on the holes located within the heart of the campus (which is still a majority of the course). There are a couple of longer holes located on the outskirts of campus. Also you have to pay for parking on campus.
Other Thoughts: Overall I would not go out of my way to play this course again. However if I lived nearby I would definitely come here to improve my midrange and putting game. Another thing me and my friends ended up doing was shooting from other spots besides the official tees. You can get creative and come up with some interesting "unofficial" tee spots (throwing from longer spots, going to the 2nd story of buildings and throwing off, etc...get creative). Since we played at night on a weekend, we had the entire course to ourselves and were free to do as we pleased. The campus is lit at night, but a flashlight is recommended if you decide to play in the evening. Since I didn't want to pay for parking, I parked at the CVS located across the street from campus and walked in. It was another 5-7 minute walk into campus, no biggie. I've read its advisable to either play here at nights or on the weekends to avoid the student crowd and this is probably due to the fact that a majority of the holes cut through campus. Worth checking out at least once if you're in the area, otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to play this course.

Mixed Bag

1    7/6/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - Scenic course that winds through the campus. Definitely a change of pace from your average public park DG course.

- Fairly simple navigation with good tee signs and good tees.

- It's a fun course for beginners with the potential to introduce the sport to thousands of potential new disc golfers.

- Good use of obstacles and elevation where available.

- Baskets are new and in great shape.
Cons: - Some of the holes are super short, however if you approach 9-16 as putter only it can still be interesting.

- Major safety concerns with the campus holes. Holes shooting over stairways waiting for a student to round a corner. It is acceptable provided everyone uses putters or round edge mids but if some newb trys to throw a katana 150' around a blind corner they can have a serious problem.

- It lacks the wow factor to bring me back, but I'd still play if if I lived close.
Other Thoughts: It's a fun change of pace to play on a college campus and it is a good opportunity to give the sport more exposure.

I appreciate the work that went into putting a course here and I love the DG vibe in this area, but I'll probably stick to the other courses nearby.

Half n half

1    8/10/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays around a scenic college campus with nice views of the surrounding hills. Half of the course plays through open desert areas with lots of sand and rocks, and scattered low plants. This part of the course mainly uses wind and some small elevation changes as obstacles, with a couple longer holes that let you open up and throw some long drives. The middle of the course plays through the campus proper, with shorter technical holes playing around buildings. There is lots of sidewalk ob to contend with, and some fun elevation changes through the terraced quads. This part of the course is nicely manicured with lots of nice flowering plants and green grass.

The course equipment is in great shape, with nice custom discatchers that are still new. The signs are clear and informative, with hole distance and map, and an arrow to the next tee. The land available for the course was used quite well, it's not ideal for a disc golf course but it was turned into a fun place to play and to expose the college students to the sport.
Cons: The biggest con here is the fact that the middle of the course is completely unplayable if it's a busy school day, as most of the shots play along or across main walkways through campus. Even in the summer with few people around, we had to wait on several pedestrians. There are also lots of opportunities to hit buildings and cars, hopefully that doesn't happen enough to get the course pulled. Several of the signs are placed quite poorly, where they are right where most players would hit their hand if not careful. The tees that aren't on sidewalks are tiny rubber pads that are too small and not at all level.

The course is not terribly challenging, and the open field holes get pretty repetitive and boring. The ones that are torn up for construction are completely wide open across torn up dirt with no obstacles at all. Parking is an issue, campus parking is enforced 24/7 so you have to pay to park at lots that aren't all that close to the end of the course. We ended up parking by the Blockbuster and starting at hole 6, and that worked pretty well. There are some long walks between sections of the course, make sure you print a course map otherwise it's pretty tricky in spots.
Other Thoughts: If I were going to school here, I'd play the section of the course going through the campus all the time with just a putter. There are some really fun holes that will work on your short game in this part of the course that make it worth playing. I love that so many students are exposed to the sport with the baskets and signs right where they walk between classes. Overall, the course doesn't really present too many challenges to more experienced players, and the parts that aren't on the campus are nothing special, but it's worth a stop if you're in the area.