Fall Branch, TN
Harmon Hills Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 12/2014)

Great stop to stretch the legs!

1    11/13/2015   11/25/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: 27 holes of secluded disc golf on private land! Lots of fun challenging holes. Accommodating hosts.

The terrain on this land is simply awesome and what you expect from eastern Tennessee. Plenty of rocks jutting from the ground, ravines throughout the course, and elevation. Both of the ravines I remember were blind from the teepad.
Cons: Some of the teepads were short. Signage was non-existent or if it was there, wasn't really helpful for first time players. Next tee signs would be great on several holes.

All the holes were long which could get boring for lesser skilled players. I remember maybe one hole that was deuce-able.
Other Thoughts: Harmon was a great course and a great stop on our long road trip. Glad we played it in the fall. This course would be brutal with all the foliage on the trees!

Tri-Cities fun

2-4    10/17/2015   7/5/2014
Review By: Cerealman
This review was updated on 9/3/2016
Pros: If you like airing out the disc, Harmon Hills is an excellent choice. Harmon Hills provides a variety of different shots off the tee, so you are advised to bring a full bag of discs and a complete arsenal of throws.

Considering that Harmon Hills is huge and on private property, the owners do a good job maintaining the course.

The three nine-hole loops are ideal and a huge plus - this allows one to return to their vehicle for food and water during the round. Because you'll definitely need hydration and nourishment as you walk Harmon Hills.

Harmon Hills is peaceful and quiet (as long as you don't upset the dog). The course is in the country in a tranquil environment, and you probably won't run into many other disc golfers.
Navigation between holes is fairly straight-forward. You should be able to spot the next teepad easily from the previous basket.

Bad shots are punished fairly and saving par after a bad drive will prove difficult. (Occasionally, good shots are punished too.) Score variance is likely to be high, which I consider a positive. If you're driving and putting well, you will shoot a significantly better score than when you're struggling with your game.
Cons: The "traversability" on Harmon Hills is mediocre. Some of the holes have tons of poison ivy. Other holes have plenty of uneven spots on the ground that are plagued with rocks and roots. The course can be difficult to walk in places - and that's even if you stay in the fairway. The back nine has many rocks and several steep and un-cleared areas.

Also, there are several holes with no clear path to the basket - the random trees force some difficult lines and offer a "poke and hope" venture where good shots can still be punished.

Some of the teepads are in rough shape - too short and not even.

The signage at Harmon Hills is some of the worst I've seen. First-timers will likely have to walk down several holes to find the unsighted baskets.
Other Thoughts: While many reviewers give Harmon Hills a 5.0, I'm not as easily convinced. While the course is long and offers some excellent challenges, the few problem areas on this course influence my rating. The rough "traversability" of the course is a huge issue, and the lack of amenities means Harmon Hills falls short of other top-rated courses.

However, Harmon Hills is still a worthwhile play and you should enjoy your time there. Play Harmon Hills along with Sugar Hollow, Winged Deer and Warriors Path on a trip to the Tri-Cities and you'll have a blast. And be sure to drop a few dollars in the donation mailbox to show your appreciation to the owners who maintain the course. The donation might improve your disc golf karma too.

Solid and secluded

1    6/9/2014   6/10/2014
Review By: atl scott
Pros: Elevation - adds variety and challenge to your shots.

Design - I liked that there were some long open shots and some tight technical wooded holes and some nice turns in both directions.

Concrete pads - were unlike any I've been on before. They had lines in them and seemed nice and grippy. They were level and pointed in the right direction which is always a plus.

Location - While not the most scenic of courses, the property is secluded, quiet, and green. It was very pleasant. Saw a wild turkey and some other hedgehog animal that I couldn't figure out what it was before it ran away.

Maintenance - The grass was nicely cut and there weren't sticks or trash in fairways. The work put in here is well worth your donation.
Cons: No scorecard/course map/next tee signs - Most holes weren't difficult to locate but several times after putting out I found myself standing there looking around wondering where to go. The tee signs aren't anything more than the most basic descriptions of the hole. I don't know what course par is. Playing with a local would have made my experience much better but a scorecard with a course map would have made it more enjoyable. Hole 9 had a long basket that wasn't on the tee sign and I only noticed after putting out on the short and looking for the next tee.

Hole lengths - Several of the holes were difficult to tell if they were tough par 3s or easy par 4s. I feel like some of the holes weren't designed for my skill set. After throwing good tee shots I found myself faced with very simple, short approaches. If I was a pro I probably could have managed to be putting or if I was intermediate or rec level I probably would more often be faced with challenging approaches. As it was the course felt too short in many places (or too long, but I prefer 2 shot holes) and I had 100 or 150 foot upshots for drop in putts.

Blind shots - This isn't really a con unless you are playing the course for the first time by yourself. Several times I threw a drive around a corner only to walk up and realize there was a section of unmown grass in the fairway (as a bunker of sorts) or that the fairway didn't curve quite like I thought. It cost me a little time searching for shots that were actually in the fairway. No big deal but be aware.

Short tee pads - Only affected me on a couple of tees. Hole 10 comes to mind. It is a long par 4 and you want to really throw a good hyzer or anhyzer tee shot and there is a drop off of like 2 feet at the front of the pad. Most of them were fine.
Other Thoughts: The last three days I played Idlewild, Mountain Lake, and Harmon Hills. All three were comparable courses and that definitely shaped my reviews.

I was really impressed with the care and maintenance level of the course. Someone put a lot of sweat into this place and it shows. I enjoyed playing it and would like to go back and play it a couple more times to really get a feel for some of the holes.

I didn't know what the buildings were by the parking area and didn't see anyone around so I just started my round. There was a dog there to greet me at the start and finish.

I didn't play the 3rd 9-hole loop. I didn't even see where it was until I was leaving and noticed someone walking across the street but I was short on time anyway so I'll have to check these out next time I stop by.

Private courses are often the best thing disc golf can offer and Harmon Hills is no exception. I would recommend it to my friends and if I lived nearby I could see myself playing there frequently. Definitely worth the detour from my road trip to check out.

great golf

1    9/10/2013   1/10/2014
Review By: davis45
Pros: gorgeous terrain, lots of woods but plenty of space to work the disc, and the guy that lives on the property was so nice. Excellent outing!
Cons: the rocks in the fairways damage your disc but they make this course unique in its appearance

Great mixed long course

1    9/18/2010   9/19/2010
Review By: mdeangmu
Pros: A mix of open shots through gaps and technical wooded shots. Great setting. Well maintained. Incredible for a private course.
Cons: Great course. Con? Maybe losing a disk on hole 11. If you miss the gap or make the gap and lose sight of your drive, several places it could end up. Limited parking? Private house, private course...what would you expect. :)
Other Thoughts: Owner is super awesome guy. Very friendly and welcoming. Great overall course. Every hole is long. Only one hole under 200 and not many under 300/350'. Planned for 1 hour game and ended up 2.5 hours. You will not get through the course in less than 1.5 hrs your first time out unless you throw blind and run.