Fall Branch, TN
Harmon Hills Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #3 (Taken 12/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Heaven

5+    9/26/2016   9/26/2016
Review By: Polecat-Meow
Pros: This course is majestic, artful and unforgiving. Although it's long and difficult it's laid out well and doesn't take all day to play. The scenery is top-notch and the course is maintained religiously not just by the caretakers who live on site but by locals who care deeply for the course and its stewardship. This course forces you to become a better disc golfer; even experienced huckers will leave harmon with more tricks in their bag than they came with.
Cons: There are no flaws that can't be chalked up to personal taste or lack of skill. So, I got nothing.
Other Thoughts: Blue, old man Harmon's blue tick healer that still lives on site, is not to be trifled with. When I'm there with my dog he loves me and is real friendly, but if I come across him without my dog he growls. If you decide to give him a pat on the head, don't use your throwing hand because you might lose it.

Oh my Lord!

1    9/17/2016   9/17/2016
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Harmon Hills is pretty much everything you could ever want in disc golf. The variety, I mean it's ridiculous! If you play all 27 holes, you are playing a par 99 course. The hole distances made me think that I could easily score under.

-When you drive past the private property (which is the 7870 address.) You'll see the sign "Harmon Hills disc golf" and once you make it to the parking area, you'll see the tire practice basket. I was just like, wow! And when I saw hole 1 by the house across the street, I was really like, wow! It's an awesome starting hole that plays around mature trees and goes into the woods.

-This course has 27 holes and seventeen of them are not par 3's. Sixteen of them are fours and the last hole is a five. So this is a true course here. The longest hole is only like 650' long, so typically that's an easy three for me, but when the fairways are tight and when they turn, you can tell that distance doesn't matter here. It does on a few such as holes 10 and 18 but it's mostly just better to stay in the fairway.

-Aaron and Kyle are great hosts. They told me how to get there when I called and they even allow you to camp out if you want to. Wish I met them in person just to tell them how awesome their course is, and how gracious they are as hosts because I have heard so many things about them both. I've played another private course and the owner there doesn't even come close to how great these guys are at Harmon Hills.

-mx23ang was there to guide me and my buddy at college so we all had fun! The course isn't hard to navigate if you watch the course fly-by video. I did, and still was totally shocked just on the layout.

-Hole 8 is a great steep downhill sidearm hole. It's extremely tight, just about as tight as it gets on the course. But the greatest thing about this hole is the extra feature to it. Walk down the fairway and at the turn, walk to your right down a small trail and you'll see the cave. No seriously! There is a cave on this hole that is full of water. It's one of the greatest things I have ever seen!

-I could say how great every single hole is here, because the worst hole here would likely be the signature hole at a local park course. It starts off somewhat overwhelming, and continues to be surprisingly great on hole 2, but it gets at one of its many peaks at hole 3. It's a fun downhill par 4 around some old trees. Hole isn't too hard of a birdie if you have a decent drive down the fairway and not go long. The basket position is a little intimidating because of the roller potential. Hole 6 is another legit par 4 that plays as a dogleg left. If you make it down the hill with a least a small turn, you have a steep uphill shot back in the open. The whole set of the first nine holes is legit. So how do you top that?

-The second set of 9 is just as fun! Starts with a long, tough uphill par 4 in the open and into the woods. #11 is an excellent par 3 at 286' that's up and back down a bit. Go for the ace, and you'll probably be quite long. It also closes with two jaw dropping, smack to the ground par 4's. #17 is definitely one of the hardest holes on the course. The tee shot is frightening. The fairway is tight and goes straight downhill. My drive, however, was on that hole was without question. I crushed a trespass down the fairway, well over 400'. It says that hole is 523' but I guarantee you it's longer than that. It's probably 650' because my drive was maybe 180' short and the tee pad was a LOOOONNNGG way away when I approached my disc. The upshot continues downhill and around many trees sporadically placed. #18 continues to sink your jaw. It's a slight dogleg right that is uphill all the way and right around the house. It's a hole where I can really take advantage of my distance.

-The death 9 are holes 19-27. It's all heavily wooded and by far the most intimidating. 19 is a nice little par 4 into the mouth of the woods. It's a deceptively easy hole if you don't go left. A stable mid-range and putter shot should be a pretty easy bird. But then 20 gets tough, it's a forced lefty flick or righty backhand shot down a curving fairway. Very similar to #9 at Chester State Park. The final four hole stretch is almost like a fairy tale because it's hands down the best final four I have played. And I've played some epic final fours like at Renaissance in Charlotte, or Black Jack in VC, and Ashe County in Jefferson. #24 is the infamous crater hole. It's dead straight and over a crater maybe 25' deep and another that is less deep, but still. If you were to go over them both, it would feel pretty awesome. #25 is, to say at the worst a very unique par 4. It's up and over the rocks and back down over a valley. It plays as a dogleg right. #26 is a super cool uphill shot back over the valley. The basket is wrapped around by a very old tree stump. And the finishing hole is "U shaped." It's a forced hole because you can see that the basket is close to the tee pad, but there is a mando pointing to the right so you have to play the "U shaped" fairway. The fairway itself makes this a legit par 5 and an even more legit finisher.

-Many benches here, just about on every hole. I think if I sat and played slower, I would've played a little better. So learn from that, don't play so fast.

-Some of the holes with sharper turns have arrow highway signs pointing to where the turn is. Really cool aspect.
Cons: -None. Really none. Some complain about the signage, but it's not hard to navigate the death 9 (19-27.) And don't turn right where you see the address 7870. That's private property, just drive up the road you are currently on and in maybe 1000' you'll see the sign "Harmon Hills disc golf."
Other Thoughts: -I drove 130 miles to play here and drove that distance back. It may have been the best 260 miles I have driven, and I'd seriously do it every weekend if they weren't all busy. Harmon Hills starts off grand and it stays that way for twenty six more holes. If this is your home course, you are seriously fortunate! Because this isn't in the top 10 courses in the nation for no reason. It's in the top 10 because every hole is very well thought out. There is no filler hole at Harmon Hills, but there are a few at other top notch courses like Black Jack, Rolling Pines, and Ashe County. This was so far, my greatest disc golf experience I have had to date.

-This is a private course on someone else's property. Aaron and Kyle are gracious hosts, but never take advantage of that. Pay a donation, respect all property as if it is your own, and don't litter on the course (if you litter in the cave and I see it, I will hurt you no joke. If swimming is okay, I'll advocate it because the water is deep.)

-I want to mention every hole so badly, but that'll take away the shock value to the course. But my favorite holes were #1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 20, 24, 25, 26, and 27. There is not a "best hole" on the course because many are top notch. But my favorite was #17. The tee shot is scary but still fair, it's downhill quite a bit, it's long.

There are some things to be aware of here:

-The dog currently has a cone around his neck and bites a lot, so the owner's will ask you not to pet him.

-On hole 6, there is a DEEP hole that's very thorny. If you land in there, don't be crazy and throw in there because if you go in there, you'll be very hard to see. There are many other steep spots to be alert of on the front 9.

-The parking area is on a small hill, so if you can park further up it.

Speechless

5+    7/23/2016   9/5/2016
Review By: bogeybrother
Pros: What makes Harmon so thrilling is all 27 holes were designed to be unlike any other on the course, in the area, and possibly the country. Every hole presents its own difficulties and every drive should be carefully examined.

In my honest opinion the lack of "2's" on this course is overly appealing. Most of these holes are about placing your drive before throwing the upshot that determines your score. A change of pace from many of the courses I have played before.

This course get a 5 star rating for being the most uncharacteristic course in the state and offering a thrilling state of play you wont find anywhere else.
Cons: Signs from hole to hole on a few of the back 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: SOMEBODY PLEASE REOPEN FOSSIL HILL ITS A MILE AWAY AND EVERY BIT AS FRUSTRATING AS HARMON!

Couldn't Ask for More

1    7/16/2016   7/20/2016
Review By: birdgre1
Pros: The holes were all unique. The workout was good but not ridiculous. The baskets and pads are not new but I thought they played perfect. At the height of the season most weeds weren't thick enough to lose your disc. I thought the pitch fork in the pit added a little extra charm to the Americana views you had around every corner.
Cons: Poison ivy is what it is. The rough has some in it.
Other Thoughts: Captain Jack was about only other person playing while we were there. Met him at the party barn and chatted for bit. Since we were on vacation it was nice to meet a local who had helped with such an awesome course.

Head for the Hills

1    6/25/2016   6/26/2016
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Hilly, rolling farmland interspersed with Tennessean forests pock-marked with sinkholes and large. moss-covered boulders sets the scene for one of the best courses around. This course challenges you to hit gaps through the woods, often requiring good distance and shot placement to overcome dogleg angles and sloping elevation.

There are no bad holes here. There aren't even average holes here. The worst hole you'll find is simply good, well-thought out design. There are lots of great holes, too numerous to count really. Practically every hole has a well-defined, well-designed fairway with an appropriate par and length ratio, a fair and skill-rewarding width and angle of fairways, engaging obstacles, top notch terrain (especially the tertiary nine) and variety. No forced lines off the tees, increasing strategy and repeat play immensely. Greens are interesting and fair aka no late trouble or punitively guarded baskets so if you reach the green off a great shot you're rewarded with a make-able putt, as you should be. Lots of great doglegs and multi-shot holes and terrific use of elevation.

A big plus for a private course is concrete tees and Harmon Hills has them. There's adequate signage and highly useful scorecards available. Nice clever touches like big arrow signs on blind doglegs that clue you into how to shape your line. Navigation is mostly a non-issue. The first 18 have old tech baskets but not a problem unless you rocket putts. The tertiary 9 have new Discatcher baskets that will catch your rocket putts. This lack of basket uniformity also helps delineate the two from each other (the 18 on one side of the road and the 3rd 9 on the other side), the other big contrasting factor being that the terrain of the 3rd 9 is much rockier and mountainous, giving it more of a subtle, adventure-golf feel. Spectacularly, each 9-hole section circles back to the clubhouse like a three leaf clover of disc golf awesomeness.

Easy to find and get to off the highway. I heard this course was a bit outta the way and I found that laughingly off-base. It's a breeze to get here. Even with a tourney going on we had no problem parking. The ease of access is phenomenal for a private course, do not take that for granted. It is truly remarkable that you can play here without reservation or anything. Don't be afraid to donate accordingly for this special treat.

We played during summer and there are some nasty places of rough that can hide discs but for a private course it's very well maintained and much less of an issue than I expected.

Cons: Not much. Tees are generally old and poured pretty rough. Some may find them small but I'm not one of those that needs a parking lot sized tee box. For the most part you can run up on them without issue if you take big strides.

The only navigational quirk is finding hole 12's tee. It's really the only transition on the first 18 that isn't obvious. The 3rd 9 is a bit trickier to navigate b/c tee signs aren't available and there are lots of little trails. Hole 19 starts to the right (after crossing the road) and to find hole 26's tee go immediately to the right of 25's green instead of towards the parking lot. Those are the only confusing bits and the scorecard helps a lot. A map for the 3rd 9 would be worthwhile though.

No water features (some may consider that a plus, lol).
Other Thoughts: I'm so grateful to have played this gem, truly. It is easily a top 5 if not top 3 course in my experience, about as much-play as a course you can get. This is what a well-designed southeastern US course looks like. Its refinement and lack of extreme land features (except for sinkholes) make this more of a player's course than an adventure but it's a definite crowd-pleaser. Highly skilled players will love this course as a fair test of their mettle. Moderately skilled Blue/White players will revel in the challenge of getting par and the occasional birdie. Bad players will just enjoy staying on the fairway, not being made miserable by nasty rough and not having insultingly long or wooded fairways beating them up often.

Don't be surprised to see some wildlife. We saw a mother raccoon and three of her juvenile offspring scurrying about hole 13 or so.

Perfection in disc golf

1    6/8/2016   6/10/2016
Review By: spellfish
Pros: Such a beautiful course and perfectly challenging this is how disc golf is meant to be played. Perfect blend of natural plants and trees while still leaving open fairways that reward accuracy. Truly a must visit course.

First time was a blast

1    5/4/2016   5/4/2016
Review By: Kilgorettrout
Pros: The course design is just phenomenal. It doesn't hurt that it's in great shape, beautiful and freshly mowed. I found my self throwing a lot of rollers, either to get out of trouble or for extra distance, and I liked that a lot. It really tested my shot versatility. Also a lot of forehand annheiser shots when I got in deep trouble. It will test even the top pros. For average players like me it will challenge you but you will love it if you don't blow up after one bad shot or hole.
Cons: These weren't cons for me but I could see some snootier golfers being upset with the teepads and baskets(front 18 baskets). I don't need a long or wide teepad, a shorter run up doesn't hurt my stroke. And the baskets on the front 18 aren't disc catchers, they are some older model. I am used to them however and it didn't detract from the playability or overall fun I had. Holes 19-27 do have disc catchers.
Other Thoughts: I consider myself to be an average disc golfer, as far as my local club goes I fit right in the middle. I shot a 101 my first time out here, par is 99. That says a lot about the par rating, it is dead on in my mind. If you love throwing straight long hyzers off the pad for a 2, don't get your hopes up. This course has tons of turnovers off the pad, and doglegs like you have never played. It seemed like 27 was just a massive spiral it turned so much. That being said, I absolutely love the challenge presented. I feel like it rewards a player who can throw rollers, overhand, forehand, and backhand. If you only have one or two of those shots in your bag you may have a hard time here.

everyone's favorite course

5+    1/28/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: porchmike
Pros: i'd say harmon hills is the best disc golf course ever. every hole is like its own world. each hole is unique and the view from every tee makes you wanna throw it over them mountains! almost every hole on the front 18 would be the top signature hole on any other course. holes 19-27 are still wearing in but are equally fantastic due to the genius of the master course designer jerry harmon. all credit to him and aaron prosak, kyle mcmillan, and their families and friends for keeping the dream alive!
Cons: no way man. there are other courses on this level, but harmon hills is the level. the top level.
Other Thoughts: if you're any good at disc golf this place will blow your mind. if you're a beginner, you'll have a rough score but a fantastic time in a truly unique landscape.

Amazing

1    3/6/2016   4/5/2016
Review By: Bahen
Pros: This course is a true test of skill; with most of the holes being par fours, you cannot rely on luck to get you through. There is huge variety of shots and you will throw most of the discs in your bag. Lots of technical holes that make you think about where you want to land for your next shot. Harmon Hills will make you a better golfer.
Cons: The teepads are a little short, but other than that it is hard to say anything bad here.
Other Thoughts: This course is a labor of love by the owners. They cut grass for hours every day in the summer. They work hard to keep yin top shape and it shows. Harmon is the gold standard.

Disc Golf Wonderland

1    3/26/2016   3/26/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
This review was updated on 9/3/2016
Pros: It starts out with the practice basket. A basket made out of an old tire, and enough chains that make it perfect way to start out the best course. After that, you pass by the donation box, which l think should be full every time you go. You see the teepad short, but grippy, concrete tee pads. The tee signs are rustic looking, but it gives enough information to help you out. The one tee pad per hole makes it a challenge for newer player, but it adds to the unique peacefulness of Harmon Hills. The baskets on the first 18 catch nicely and are always in a great position to make the course the best. All holes are difficult, but fair. I never got lost on my way, I always felt there was a line, even if I missed it. There was a mix of tight wooded and bomber holes, left turns and right turns. I used every disc in my bag and I wish I had more. I would play this course every single day for the rest of my life if I could.
Cons: The back 9 did not have any tee signs, and it could use a little more clearing out. It is quite hilly, so it is harder to walk if you are not able bodied. The lack of directional signs and multiple teepads are a con, but it adds to the aesthetic.
Other Thoughts: This is top ten for a reason. All of the people were great, the scenery was great, the disc golf was great. I cannot complain at all. I had the best disc golf experience of my life. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my experience. Please bring water and snacks, but bring your trash back to the car. The course loops around after each 9, so it shouldn't be a problem. Everything was perfect for me.

< Prev 1 2 3 4