Fall Branch, TN
Harmon Hills Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 12/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Head for the Hills

1    6/25/2016   6/26/2016
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Hilly, rolling farmland interspersed with Tennessean forests pock-marked with sinkholes and large. moss-covered boulders sets the scene for one of the best courses around. This course challenges you to hit gaps through the woods, often requiring good distance and shot placement to overcome dogleg angles and sloping elevation.

There are no bad holes here. There aren't even average holes here. The worst hole you'll find is simply good, well-thought out design. There are lots of great holes, too numerous to count really. Practically every hole has a well-defined, well-designed fairway with an appropriate par and length ratio, a fair and skill-rewarding width and angle of fairways, engaging obstacles, top notch terrain (especially the tertiary nine) and variety. No forced lines off the tees, increasing strategy and repeat play immensely. Greens are interesting and fair aka no late trouble or punitively guarded baskets so if you reach the green off a great shot you're rewarded with a make-able putt, as you should be. Lots of great doglegs and multi-shot holes and terrific use of elevation.

A big plus for a private course is concrete tees and Harmon Hills has them. There's adequate signage and highly useful scorecards available. Nice clever touches like big arrow signs on blind doglegs that clue you into how to shape your line. Navigation is mostly a non-issue. The first 18 have old tech baskets but not a problem unless you rocket putts. The tertiary 9 have new Discatcher baskets that will catch your rocket putts. This lack of basket uniformity also helps delineate the two from each other (the 18 on one side of the road and the 3rd 9 on the other side), the other big contrasting factor being that the terrain of the 3rd 9 is much rockier and mountainous, giving it more of a subtle, adventure-golf feel. Spectacularly, each 9-hole section circles back to the clubhouse like a three leaf clover of disc golf awesomeness.

Easy to find and get to off the highway. I heard this course was a bit outta the way and I found that laughingly off-base. It's a breeze to get here. Even with a tourney going on we had no problem parking. The ease of access is phenomenal for a private course, do not take that for granted. It is truly remarkable that you can play here without reservation or anything. Don't be afraid to donate accordingly for this special treat.

We played during summer and there are some nasty places of rough that can hide discs but for a private course it's very well maintained and much less of an issue than I expected.

Cons: Not much. Tees are generally old and poured pretty rough. Some may find them small but I'm not one of those that needs a parking lot sized tee box. For the most part you can run up on them without issue if you take big strides.

The only navigational quirk is finding hole 12's tee. It's really the only transition on the first 18 that isn't obvious. The 3rd 9 is a bit trickier to navigate b/c tee signs aren't available and there are lots of little trails. Hole 19 starts to the right (after crossing the road) and to find hole 26's tee go immediately to the right of 25's green instead of towards the parking lot. Those are the only confusing bits and the scorecard helps a lot. A map for the 3rd 9 would be worthwhile though.

No water features (some may consider that a plus, lol).
Other Thoughts: I'm so grateful to have played this gem, truly. It is easily a top 5 if not top 3 course in my experience, about as much-play as a course you can get. This is what a well-designed southeastern US course looks like. Its refinement and lack of extreme land features (except for sinkholes) make this more of a player's course than an adventure but it's a definite crowd-pleaser. Highly skilled players will love this course as a fair test of their mettle. Moderately skilled Blue/White players will revel in the challenge of getting par and the occasional birdie. Bad players will just enjoy staying on the fairway, not being made miserable by nasty rough and not having insultingly long or wooded fairways beating them up often.

Don't be surprised to see some wildlife. We saw a mother raccoon and three of her juvenile offspring scurrying about hole 13 or so.

Perfection in disc golf

1    6/8/2016   6/10/2016
Review By: spellfish
Pros: Such a beautiful course and perfectly challenging this is how disc golf is meant to be played. Perfect blend of natural plants and trees while still leaving open fairways that reward accuracy. Truly a must visit course.

First time was a blast

1    5/4/2016   5/4/2016
Review By: Kilgorettrout
Pros: The course design is just phenomenal. It doesn't hurt that it's in great shape, beautiful and freshly mowed. I found my self throwing a lot of rollers, either to get out of trouble or for extra distance, and I liked that a lot. It really tested my shot versatility. Also a lot of forehand annheiser shots when I got in deep trouble. It will test even the top pros. For average players like me it will challenge you but you will love it if you don't blow up after one bad shot or hole.
Cons: These weren't cons for me but I could see some snootier golfers being upset with the teepads and baskets(front 18 baskets). I don't need a long or wide teepad, a shorter run up doesn't hurt my stroke. And the baskets on the front 18 aren't disc catchers, they are some older model. I am used to them however and it didn't detract from the playability or overall fun I had. Holes 19-27 do have disc catchers.
Other Thoughts: I consider myself to be an average disc golfer, as far as my local club goes I fit right in the middle. I shot a 101 my first time out here, par is 99. That says a lot about the par rating, it is dead on in my mind. If you love throwing straight long hyzers off the pad for a 2, don't get your hopes up. This course has tons of turnovers off the pad, and doglegs like you have never played. It seemed like 27 was just a massive spiral it turned so much. That being said, I absolutely love the challenge presented. I feel like it rewards a player who can throw rollers, overhand, forehand, and backhand. If you only have one or two of those shots in your bag you may have a hard time here.

everyone's favorite course

5+    1/28/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: porchmike
Pros: i'd say harmon hills is the best disc golf course ever. every hole is like its own world. each hole is unique and the view from every tee makes you wanna throw it over them mountains! almost every hole on the front 18 would be the top signature hole on any other course. holes 19-27 are still wearing in but are equally fantastic due to the genius of the master course designer jerry harmon. all credit to him and aaron prosak, kyle mcmillan, and their families and friends for keeping the dream alive!
Cons: no way man. there are other courses on this level, but harmon hills is the level. the top level.
Other Thoughts: if you're any good at disc golf this place will blow your mind. if you're a beginner, you'll have a rough score but a fantastic time in a truly unique landscape.

Amazing

1    3/6/2016   4/5/2016
Review By: Bahen
Pros: This course is a true test of skill; with most of the holes being par fours, you cannot rely on luck to get you through. There is huge variety of shots and you will throw most of the discs in your bag. Lots of technical holes that make you think about where you want to land for your next shot. Harmon Hills will make you a better golfer.
Cons: The teepads are a little short, but other than that it is hard to say anything bad here.
Other Thoughts: This course is a labor of love by the owners. They cut grass for hours every day in the summer. They work hard to keep yin top shape and it shows. Harmon is the gold standard.

Disc Golf Wonderland

1    3/26/2016   3/26/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: It starts out with the practice basket. A basket made out of an old tire, and enough chains that make it perfect way to start out the best course. After that, you pass by the donation box, which l think should be full every time you go. You see the teepad short, but grippy, concrete tee pads. The tee signs are rustic looking, but it gives enough information to help you out. The one tee pad per hole makes it a challenge for newer player, but it adds to the unique peacefulness of Harmon Hills. The baskets on the first 18 catch nicely and are always in a great position to make the course the best. All holes are difficult, but fair. I never got lost on my way, I always felt there was a line, even if I missed it. There was a mix of tight wooded and bomber holes, left turns and right turns. I used every disc in my bag and I wish I had more. I would play this course every single day for the rest of my life if I could.
Cons: The back 9 did not have any tee signs, and it could use a little more clearing out. It is quite hilly, so it is harder to walk if you are not as able bodied. I don't think their was much wrong with the course. I don't want to write cons, but I did do this much.
Other Thoughts: This is top ten for a reason. All of the people were great, the scenery was great, the disc golf was great. I cannot complain at all. I had the best disc golf experience of my life. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my experience. Please bring water and snacks, but bring your trash back to the car. The course loops around after each 9, so it shouldn't be a problem. Everything was perfect for me.

Thanks!

1    1/4/2016   1/4/2016
Review By: Hippykamp
Pros: This is what disc golf should be. Laid back, beautiful setting, just a nice walk in the woods and fields with friends. Thanks to all the folks that make this possible. Slow down and enjoy it's the bomb!
Cons: Some complain about signage but chill and go with the flow. Just poke around it will become clear.
Other Thoughts: If you are ever within 4-5 hours of here you should probably bring a disc or two and play HH!

Pace Yourself

2-4    10/9/2015   12/1/2015
Review By: Rosco
Pros: This place has it all except for short easy baskets. Be ready to be tested. This course will challenge you ,and you will love it. the 9th 18th and 27th (19 - 27 are across the street) holes all end near the starting position so it is a very well designed course. The 1st, 10th and 19th holes start near the house. Pack a lunch and enjoy the exercise this course is sprawling.
Cons: Signs could be a little better, but would have to be very detailed to explain the layouts.. Some Tee Pads are a little hard to navigate to for beginners, and a few of the tee pads could be a little longer.
Other Thoughts: Please leave a donation in the mailbox at hole 1 if you go. These folks do a great job of taking care of an amazing private course.

It's Harmon...

2-4    11/7/2015   11/28/2015
Review By: johngarcia79
Pros: Big course. Every shot you could imagine. Wide open field shots, super tight wooded shots, tough course. If you can play this course well, you can play any course well. Probably my favorite course.
Cons: There isn't a brewery onsite. It's a bit out there. But if it did, I might try to live there.
Other Thoughts: Plan on spending some time playing this course. Even if you fly through it, you'll want to stay and play more.

2-4    8/11/2015   9/11/2015
Review By: James McGirr
Pros: A great place to play if memory is correct not far off of interstate hwy.A realy nice place for a few guys to make a road trip to.After playing one round you basicly can figure out how to play course.
Cons: I forget things easie nothing comes to mind.Although it is important to play course to understand how to play your tee shot and upshots.
Other Thoughts: Although course is wooded in spots the trees are mature and there is a lot of open spaces between tree trunks. I only played 18 holes I did not play the other 9 holes

< Prev 1 2 3 4