Escondido, CA
Kit Carson Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: CubbieBlue Hole #15 (Taken 5/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Fun course with decent variety.

5+    9/17/2015   10/2/2015
Review By: Ninjavitus
Pros: FREE!

I typically go to the course on weekday mornings to avoid crowds and the heat. I can usually play through a round solo in about 45 minutes (if there aren't many groups ahead of me). I often end up playing 2 rounds in a row.

Nowhere near as crowded as Morley.

In my experiences with groups ahead of me, they have always been very polite in letting me play through. Sometimes I will join up with a smaller groups, which is a nice change from flying solo.

There is a decent variety of holes, with varying pin positions on 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (although I've never seen it set up on the short pin), 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, & 18. They usually change pins around once a week or so. There's a mix of wide open, slightly wooded, small mandatory gaps, dogleg rights/left, and straight shots.

Sean(Shawn/Shaun?) in the Pro Shop is super friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Baskets are top notch, though I still manage to find ways to hit chains and miss.

Not exceedingly difficult (not sure if that is a pro or con). For me it means fun rounds, with relatively minimal course induced frustrations. My frustrations are primarily self induced.

Public restrooms and water fountains available during park hours.

Cons: I love this park! The cons listed below are really more of a heads up for people, than any sort of complaint. I just wanted to present info on some things that some may see as cons.

Mixed use park can present some human obstacles, but I've never really had any issues with anyone. Sometimes you encounter someone who's oblivious to the course, but not often.

Not super difficult, if that's what you're looking for (see Pros)

Can be very hot. Not really anything the course can do about it, but a heads up nonetheless. Bring some cold water and wear sunscreen.

Dogs must be on leash. Some people think this does not apply to their dog. I haven't yet had one go after a disc, but they are occasionally there.

There's a bit of walking required in between holes 5 and 6, and from 18 back to the parking lot. I don't mind that walking. Overall the course isn't too long.

Awesome course

2-4    7/14/2015   7/26/2015
Review By: Owen The Sk8er
Pros: This course is a very good skill tester for all skill levels. The baskets kept every disc in the chains like they are supposed to do. The creek gave me a very good challenge, but 2 of my strokes flew into the creek. Luckily the creek was dry. Also very nice people. I played with a group of 3 people.
Cons: Trash on the course
Other Thoughts: This course is well taken care of. If you are looking for a course that is very nice and challenging, this is the place. This will be a comeback to place.

Great course.

2-4    2/6/2015   2/14/2015
Review By: thespeedokid
Pros: Good hole distances. Good hole signs. Nice tees. Not a ton of people play it making it fast. Easy to find holes. Good baskets. Nicely but not overly wooded. Variety of hole distances. Slight elevation changes. Small creek which adds an element of difficulty. Variety of holes. (Some holes are wide open like 1-3-4 while some are densely wooded like 17-18).
Cons: Maybe not enough elevation changes. Thats about it this course is really good.
Other Thoughts: This is a course you just have to play. You don't get held up like you do on Morley Field. Holes 17 and 18 play on the same tee box to different basket locations. (Hole 18 is under construction).

Short and fun

1    7/21/2014   7/24/2014
Review By: joecross98
Pros: - Huge park setting makes for a nice walk
- Dominated by short, straight shots with few obstacles, which makes for a fun round
- Great pro shop
- Not too crouded
Cons: - The first 4 holes are totally disconnected from the rest of the course. Seems like they just have them to have 18 holes.
- Other park goers pose an additional (sometimes moving!) obstacle on shots. Everyone knows the deal, though, so there is no tension.
- Escondido is hot...
Other Thoughts: A lot of locals play this course daily. Just hang out at the first hole and someone will invite you to join. It can be tough to find the tee boxes if you've never played and don't have a guide.

How Often Do You Get To Play With A Player With 3 Super Bowl Rings?

1    4/3/2014   4/9/2014
Pros: Kit Carson Park is a very large sprawling park with oh, so many activities going on. The park features many baseball/softball fields, many picnic and children's play areas, a pro shop, a very nice amphitheater, undeveloped land, walking/jogging tracks and much more.
The course starts over near the amphitheater with the first five holes playing across mostly open dirt patch. These first holes feature more distance than the rest of the course. # 6 is kind of a transitional hole then there is a short walkout to the rest of the course which plays through the main picnic area of the park. These holes aren't especially long but they're well designed, sometimes tight along the cry creek bed and feature some tunnel shots under the trees.
The tee pads are rubber mats. Some of the early pads were slippery with sand on them. A broom would have been a nice touch here. The baskets are in good condition. Nice signs showing the distance, par and sponsor.
The last holes move out of the grassy picnic area into another undeveloped area of the park. # 18 hole has been removed (temporarily?) for the pond being drained and rebuilt). So currently you play 17 and 18 together at the same time.

This course is basically flat. There was no water in the creek (early April). The course is a nice recreational course. It has a nice variety of hole challenges and length including four where you really have to start with a long anhyzer. There are places where a good roller is essential. Advanced players and above probably won't find the challenge at Kit Carson .
Cons: The middle holes (7-15) playing through the picnic area are probably often in conflict with other park users and picnics, etc. I watched one group of players basically just throw right into a group of younger girls near # 9. You may have to skip a hole or two on this course during prime picnic time.

Without my wonderful local guides, navigation would have been a little difficult.
Other Thoughts: I was fortunate enough to hook up with Jack and his son, Steven. Steven played for 10 years with the NE Pats blocking for Tom Brady. Pretty cool to play with a celebrity of sorts. Plus, I managed to beat both father & son by a couple of strokes.

Kit Carson - Escondido CA

2-4    1/21/2014   1/22/2014
Review By: riles
Pros: Lots of dynamic shots to make. Good balance of long and short holes, as well as, left or right hand shots.
Cons: First several holes the landscaping is basically dirt.
Going from hole 5-6 is confusing for someone who had never played the course. Better signage for that would be good.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course and would go back again. I appreciated the well made signs and indicators for the current pin placement.
I played with the holes pushed out to the farthest placements and it made for some LONG shots. Pretty cool.

old classic

1    1/20/2014   1/21/2014
Review By: Wilson
Pros: variety of distances and obstacles.
beautiful park in which to play.
excellent signage.
creative design over large acreage.
Cons: the layout encourages some players to skip holes #1-5 and to create a log-jam by starting their round at #6.
Other Thoughts: I didn't realize who he was until after I left and shared a pic of his car/license plate/sticker, but I met THE John Kirkland, the legend. Very cool guy who was beginning his round as I ended mine.

Favorite Course in SD

5+    11/2/2013   11/9/2013
Review By: SDtoSB
Pros: -Excellent for a Free to Play
-Wait times aren't typically that long
-Great hole length variation
-Half the holes have 2-3 positions, some requiring very different drives
-Weekly doubles
-Great pro-shop
Cons: -Park is host to cross-country running events that can block holes
-Lots of picnics in the Summer
-The river can get kinda gross and stagnant at times (don't shank it on holes 9, 10)
Other Thoughts: My favorite course in San Diego county

Review By: Magiken
This review was updated on 11/11/2013
Decent shot selection
Nice park
Tees are good (rubber mat variety)
Baskets are good
Signs are great
Course is easy to find
Multiple basket placements
Friendly folks
Park people are in play for a good chunk of the course
A few holes are a little criss-crossy
Might be a bit short/easy for your advanced and above player
Do read the signs. There are sneaky OBs and mandos out there

Random Thoughts:
I get the impression that this is a favorite amongst the locals as this was the greatest number of disc golfers I've seen at a course, outside of a tournament. That didn't hold up play or anything (in case you were wondering), and I found the folks to be quite friendly. One even asked me to join him and showed me around. As for the course, it really lets you warm-up a bit as the first 5 holes are pretty wide open. True, if you get aggressive, you can go OB, but there's a pretty good amount of room for error. A decent, sensible shot off the tee and you'll be fine. Once you transition to the park holes, that's where the fun begins. Lots of trees, a creek, some OB, pedestrians (ugh) and an island-ish green await. Even though the holes aren't particularly long, you will need accuracy and a variety of shot shaping to get in range of a birdie/par. Having said that, I felt like the course was very fair and there wasn't a time where I couldn't see the intended line.

Bottom Line:
About as good a job as you can do with the space provided, and some interesting use of the 'protected' areas as OB. I also like that there are several types of shots on the course. I would prefer the people not be so much in play but you do the best with what you've got. I'd probably also state that this would be a good course to introduce someone to the game on a non-busy day. Looking forward to a return visit.

1    7/27/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 11/1/2013
Pros: The first five holes play through an open dirt patch with some moderate distance. After that, the course transitions to the grassy main area of the park, and the distances were much shorter. With a couple exceptions, most of the holes felt like a solid birdie opportunity, but not a gimme.

I liked the use of the creek bed. It was mostly dry when I played, but the baskets were situated close by on many holes, so a bad drive or missed putt could leave you putting from the creek bed.

One hole had a cool island hole for one of the pin positions.

I think all tee pads were fly pad except one that was part of the sidewalk. I assume these are recent based on some past reviews.
Cons: The course wasn't even that busy when I visited (a Saturday morning around 9:30), but other park users certainly came into play. Twice I had to wait. One of those times the group in front of me called out to the person walking in the fairway, and the person was clueless and didn't change course. From other reviews, it seems like this is common.

The first four holes are wide open, and holes 1 and 4 basically throw at each other. If you throw RHBH, on the 4th hole you may need to decide between risking turning over your shot into the wildlife habitat, or having your shot fade toward the hole 1 basket.
Other Thoughts: Navigation wasn't bad. The map on the site seemed wrong on a couple holes near the middle of the course, but I didn't need to use it much.

There isn't a ton of challenge here, but I found most of the holes pretty enjoyable. I imagine if I played here regularly, the challenge would be how far under par I could shoot (this is not typical for me!).

< Prev 1 2 3 4