Akron, OH
Portage Lakes DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mike C Hole #11 (Taken 6/2011)
Hole #11 Approach

getting there...

5+    8/19/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: chris deitzel
Other Thoughts: This is an interesting course. I really enjoyed playing most of the holes, but there are a few that are just not finished in my opinion. Still a few trees that could be removed on a few holes, and perhaps the dumbest OB I have yet to encounter in 200+ courses (Dungans Dungeons). I will do this as a hole by hole review.

Also all reviews are from the long tees.

Hole 1 - nice hole. neat little shot.

Hole 2- Nice hole that pretty much forces you to throw a putter or midrange on a straight line. Not really any other option.

Hole 3 - This could be a nice hole. But there are 3 tree that keep it from being a good hole. A good shot thrown will still require quite a bit of luck to make it through on this hole. I found that the best shots are the ones that go away from the fairway and make it back to the middle. though I would think that the true plan for this hole is for someone to hit the main fairway with either a big s or a straight line. Yet that shot is not possible with the 3 trees. Well it is, but your chances of the shot working are completely up to whether or not you are lucky enough to miss the 3 trees I mentioned. As is now, I would say it is one of the weakest holes on the course.

Hole 4 - I really like this hole and think it was well designed. Tough gap, but fair.

Hole 5 - cool hole. Probably one of the best on the course.

Hole 6 - could be one of the best holes on the course, except for 2 small trees in the early part of the fairway. Not sure why there were left? They just add that annoying factor to the hole without making the hole harder. I did witness someone driving this hole within 2 or 3 feet which was beautiful. But had he not slipped by the trees, he would have been in the crap! Feel like this hole could really be awesome with just a few little tweaks.

Hole 7- typical tunnel shot through some trees. Nice hole. Can't complain here.

Hole 8- easiest hole on the course and plays nicely.

Hole 9 - Love the drive on this hole. But what I would consider to be the landing area, there are 3 - 6 trees that need to go. If you are going to throw a good drive 350 feet through a tunnel, you should have a clear stance when throwing your second shot. 2/4 times I found myself perfectly in the middle of this landing zone, only to be pinned up against a tree. Yet those who were off the fairway had a more open shot. Open up this landing area near the short tee and you got a great hole. Even had a chance at a 3 as it is. But as it is now, it does not reward a good shot, and too often I have seen the person with the worst shot end up in the best position for their second shot, and that's just not right.

Hole 10 - wanted to love this hole, and kind of do. Just 1 tree at the bottom of the hill that I would remove.

Hole 11 - weird hole. It calls for a giant turnover drive, but once you hit the first gap, you kind of have to just hope you don't clip some limbs or branches.

Hole 12 - like this hole a lot. I would remove the one small tree near the green on the right side of the fairway and you got a great hole. Stinks when you throw that perfect shot and you hit that little tree smack dab in the middle of the gap 50 feet from he pin. But that is an easy fix.

Hole 13- great hole. don't do a thing.

Hole 14 - signature hole. Great hole, nice shape, cool green. Only problem is that there are some high limbs that need a rope saw to get to. Once those are trimmed, you will see more people trying to put their drives past the lake and near the pin. But with them there it is forcing people to play farther left on the fairway and just laying up before the short tee. If you limbed up the gap, you will have more people flirting with the water on their drives and you will see people getting their drives pretty close to this pin. NO trees need to go, just get those high limbs cut.

Hole 15 - nice hole with really stupid ob circles in the middle of the fairway? Why? why have 2 little circles OB in the middle of the fairway? Who are you trying to punish? A person could kick from 100 feet away and land in these areas. They are no shaping the hole, or making the hole better. There is no need. You already have a great hole, why add stupid OB such as these?? I did not understand. Other than that, it's a beautiful hole and one of the best on the course.

Hole 16 - great hole. Nothing wrong here.

Hole 17 - frustrating. All 5 times I threw drives down the left fairway and kicked off a tree just over the hill as it was making its way towards the basket. Yet the guys who cut drives way right sometimes managed to sneak all the way up there. Not sure what they are asking for on this shot? Seems like they want to make you take the left side all the way there, yet a good shot thrown that way is most likely not going to be rewarded. Seems like the shots that just try to cut towards the pin through the trees is the best option, yet I don;t think that that is what they were going for. This hole needs to be re-evaluated.

Hole 18 - Why finish on a crap shoot? really? Come on. I threw every drive on the same line and all 5 had completely different results. Make a distinct fairway with a line that I am supposed to hit and you got a nice hole. Green is nice, the hole shape is nice, but the fairway is just a mess of trees with no defined flight path. Your score on this hole is going to be determined by where your disc lands and what trees you might hit. Being one foot right or left could be the difference in that 3 or 4. Just clean this up and you got a nice hole. As-is, I would consider it one of the worst on the course.

So all in all, this is a nice course. It is a beautiful piece of land and they have made some nice holes. Not sure what skill level these tees were designed for, but they were enjoyable. With just a few tweaks here and there they will have one of the better courses in Ohio. I'll give t a 3 for now. If it gets the neccesary tweaks, I would bump it up to a 4.

The amount of poison ivy and broken glass on the course will never give this course a chance to reach that 5 level that I know they would like to achieve here.

It is fun though and if you don't mind throwing shots where you are hoping to get past that tree or that tree, and don't mind the occasional bad kick or bad luck, then you will enjoy this course. One of the only courses I have ever played where you can hear someone on one throw, say yes, no, yes, yes, no. That's what happens though when you throw a good shot but have to deal with getting sneaky.

An enjoyable course that with very little work could become an extremely good course

1    6/28/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Conect11
This review was updated on 7/1/2011
Pros: Excellent course design with thoughtful level of challenge at nearly every hole
Good use of mixed elevation and water hazards
Extremely accurate tee maps
Pro and Am pads that not only vary in distance, but do so significantly, and significantly vary in difficulty
Beautiful mixed use park with plenty to do for non - players
Cons: UPDATE!: Here is a message I received from the course designer or an aficionado of the course:
"thanks for the review on DGCR. It's obvious that you didn't read the preview of this DGC on DGCR as if you did you would of noticed the pink duct tape in the basket well pointing the player in the direction of the next tee. It's a cheap method but it works, if you use your _____. I've played over 800 DGC worldwide and have played many of DGc that use this method. and then you have the tee signs, they also have the next tee printed on them, but I guess again that you didn't use your __________. and was looking for school guards to hold your hand and take you to the next tee area.

Your going to have sand and beaches. PL DGC is at a beachhead, thus alot of sand.

Of course since you don't mind offering your opinion, you probally would mind donating some $$ for better next tee signs. I agree that this DGC isn't a 5, but it's not a 2.5 that you offered.

# 6 is a sweet hole. But then it's not my adopitive hole, as it's somebody's elses. But if it was mine I'd have the area that you we're in OB. and if your up to your teeth with muck, why didn't you just jump into the lake to wash off.

# 14 is my adoptive hole, thanks for the kind words. I'm going to make it even tougher so beware.

The DGC is virgin, it's not even a month old and people are knocking it. Oh well..... I know what it is and I'm very proud of all our efforts despite other people's opinions.

We have *** night doubles ***. maybe we'll see you there sometime. and planning a*** tournament < more details to follow> "

ORIGINAL REVIEW
While the course flows well for the most part, notable exceptions are from holes 6 to 7, and holes 8 to 9. Some more prominent arrows, a course map, or arrows on the tee signs would go a long way.
Less a fault of the course designer(s) than that of the state park's: no signs indicating how to get to the course. While this is true of Findley State Park in Wellington, Ohio, at least the course at that location is on the main road. This is on a branch road, and if it weren't for this site we may not have found it.
Quicksand (or mud!) on hole 6!
Other Thoughts: UPDATE: Have to admit, love the game of disc golf, but hate how people can be so thin skinned. When this person is done crying over a bit of criticism perhaps they will see that multiple people saying the same thing might have a point. As I stated in my review, a tiny bit of effort and this becomes a destination course. I would have gladly donated to the cause, and invited my friends to do the same before this outburst. Best wishes in finding your funding. Grow up and get to work instead of flaming people for their honest opinions.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
Portage Lakes State Park near Akron, Ohio is a solid technical course that should provide a good challenge to experienced players while not frustrating people just starting out. 16 of the 18 holes play in or through deep woods under heavy canopy, though the fairways are wide and generous. You'll certainly hit your share of trees, but the woods aren't claustrophobic, like Parma can be. The front nine each sport a nicely printed and extremely accurate tee map at both the pro and amateur pads, and while the back nine contain only hand - drawn maps at the pro pads, my feeling is we'll probably see those professional looking maps there as well soon enough. The front nine play through fairly short and technical, though you do have the occasional 500 footer. (hole 5) Hole 6 became a personal nightmare for me. Not for the play of the hole, which resembles a shortened version of hole 3 at Parma, but because I learned first hand that there is quicksand about halfway through the fairway, at the right edge. As I was looking for a lost Valkerie (since found) I began sinking with each step, until I was in extremely black and viscous mud up to my waist. It took my friend Billy pulling me up with a tree branch to pull me out. So, there's a heads up. The group that played through said the same thing happened to them the previous day. Speaking of hole 6, while most of the course flowed very well, the path from 6 to 7 was not obvious, and our group had to backtrack to find it. Perhaps a more prominent arrow to the next tee would be useful there. Holes 7 and 8 are a bit "lazy," as they play through an open field with little in terms of obstacles, and then getting to hole 9 is a test in navigation, as the tee is located in the woods to the right of a road quite a ways from hole 8. After being lulled into a sense of ease by the previous two holes, hole 9 packs a punch in terms of distance and challenge. We rushed through the back nine due to time constraints, but I must say that 10 through 18 was very cleverly put together. Hole 14, in particular sticks in my mind for the strategy necessary to par out on it. The basket is on a small earthen ridge only about 2 feet wide, but 150 feet long and bending right. The small drop over the ridge, coupled with the lake on the right make this a challenging and creative hole. Hole 15 impressed me as well with its sheer embankment made entirely of sand right by the lake. Of course, I LANDED on the embankment, making for a difficult putt.
Overall, this is an enjoyable course that with a few minor tweeks can become a stellar course. I look forward to seeing this course improve and become one of the destination courses in northern Ohio.

A Great Start

1    5/16/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: gcoghill
Pros:
• Secluded from the rest of the park activities for the most part.

• Technical, challenging course that plays well off the moderate elevation of the park.

• Brand new baskets
Cons:
• Course is still under construction, so the fairways aren't fully cleared

• Dirt tees (for now)

• Tee signs are not yet complete (the posts are up, but no hole maps).

• Baskets are not marked as far as which hole they are, but relatively easy to figure it out.

• Not the easiest to navigate for first-timers
Other Thoughts: Tough to review this course as only the front nine is complete.

However, this course has a lot of potential. They did a good job for the space they had to work within. For the most part is stays clear of the other park goers, although there is a bit of overlaps but nothing major and you won't be throwing over walkways or other common areas.

Hole 6 & 9 are monsters, most likely as the clearing is not yet complete.

The front nine are mostly technical holes. You'll be using many different discs and throws. Some can be a bit frustrating, but again until the clearing is complete it's hard to say what the holes will end up like.

The design makes good use of the moderate elevation in the park, and offers some nice secluded wooded areas to throw some disc.

The park itself has lots of other amenities for non-disc golfers, playground for kids and public restrooms.

There's no drinking fountain near the Hole 1 tee, but perhaps there's one somewhere else in the park.

There's a rough temporary map posted by the Hole 1 tee, be sure to take a look and/or snap a photo with your phone so you can refer to it for your first time out.