Highbridge, WI
Highbridge Hills - Blueberry Hill Share
Uploaded By: jhgonzo Hole #6 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #6 Tee: Just get behind the island of trees.

Ten sub-par courses where three excellent ones should be.

1    5/28/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: Griplock
Pros: -The courses we played were decent elevation with a few scenic areas.
-Using a golf cart on two of the courses was a blast.
-Lots of interesting things going on around the property.
Cons: -Ten courses in one place? How could it fail? Well, with only three people to maintenance, design and continually expand on what they have, they've got quantity without quality.
-The property is 'okay' for disc, but compared to what? This course is the second top rated course in the nation, but I've played dozens more scenic, interesting, and that take time and effort to create a unique discing experience.
-Ticks. I'm not usually bothered by anything the woods can throw at me, but every step into the rough (and by that I mean the 'fairways') and you brought 4 or 5 ticks out with you. If you're on a tour, like we were, expect to be picking them of you for the next four states.
-Surprise water. Not just water, which can be an interesting obstacle, but Surprise Water due to a lack of maintenance and any signage to speak of. Even scouting ahead on each hole, the difference between the overgrown fairways and an overgrown swamp were indiscernible.
Other Thoughts: -Doesn't belong in the top ten, let alone the top five. Do yourself a favor and bypass this and Mt. Du Lac if your touring in the US. Play nearby at Blue Ribbon if you want to see what a top five course should look like.

The best?

1    6/23/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: Goosefraba
Pros: *Has everything you could ask for in a course:Elevation changes, water, lots of trees/woods, open meadows, holes across hill sides, large rocks and anything else you can think of
*Possibly the best hole ever, #13, if you have the back pin between the pond and swamp
*Clearly marked, especially each tee
*Starts and ends near Honka House/pro shop
*Scenery is beautiful
*Nicely mowed/maintained
Cons: *Was a bit wet from all the rain when I played it, but nothing else
Other Thoughts: Absolutely loved this course, played twice in a day. Really nothing bad to say about it, other than I can't play it every day. If you could only play one course for the rest of your life, this might be the one...

5+    5/2/2012   6/2/2012
Review By: Silhouette
This review was updated on 6/28/2012
Pros: Open for the most part. some baskets are more wooded. all varieties of fairways on this course! Water hazards, over grown woods, bugs, wild life around every corner. Not the course for the prissy disc golfers out there. Amazing views of the landscape as well!

if it isn't a windy day in highbridge, i usually will play this course. you have the option to branch off to the granite ridge course after 12! which is a great way to avoid the pond on 13!
Cons: Some ponds kind of sneak up on you (13) I have lost a few to the water... only con is it is the most popular course in Highbridge, some back ups here and there. you shoot over the parking lot on basket 2 tee off, but if you play it smart. you will be fine...
Other Thoughts: i recommend playing this course!!!

i have seen all sorts of wildlife playing this course. i've been amazed at the view from basket 17! it is one of my favorite places to sit back and have a "thought"

Worth the trip

1    8/30/2011   9/2/2011
Review By: IronJack
Pros: Outstanding, picturesque setting. Great variety of hole design and interesting layout. Punishing rough, yet forgiving fairways, i.e., enough to challenge and reward for smart golf, tough enough to ruin a day for dumb golf.
Cons: Remote, and not much on amenities. Come prepared, plenty of food, water, bug spray, sunscreen, etc., and you'll be fine.
Other Thoughts: I'd call it world class, but I haven't personally been around the world playing disc golf, so let's just say in terms of course design, layout and environment, it's the best I've ever played and while I imagine it could be matched, it'd be difficult to beat by much.

2-4    8/1/2008   8/13/2011
Review By: beaverdisc
Pros: Decent course. was thewe for PDGA Pro Worlds. The course was beautiful because it was ready for Worlds.
Cons: The whole complex was a problem for me. Everything is 45 minutes away to anywhere and ladging is questionable even at 45 minutes away let alone on the property.
Other Thoughts: If you do not mind roughing it and coming into this area very prepared, then there will be no problems. Watch out for the bears. when they say "in the middle of nowhere, you are here.

Blueberry Hill

1    6/7/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: [The Complex]- There are presently 5 complete 18-hole courses, with 2 more still being constructed. I like the fact that the courses are designed to be at varying levels of difficulty (hardest-> Gold-Granite-Blueberry-Woodland-Chestnut <-easiest) so if you come and play them all you will have a well-rounded experience of both challenging Žskill-testers and more relaxing, fun rounds. Each course has different colored baskets that correspond to the course's name. The courses are set on an amazing piece of land that is huge and contains many natural features that are ideal for disc golf (open, woods, elevation, and ponds). The land is dedicated purely to disc golf and is so isolated that only disc golfers will be here, and chances are you will have these courses all to yourself. Huge props need to be given to the course designer for placing all the courses where they aren't on top of each other, each has its own character, and individual hole design is very creative and well-done. John, the owner, is very nice and loves to have people come and play. He works extremely hard on the courses and on the facility as a whole.

[The Course]- The scenery of Blueberry is beautiful. The course plays in the open and in the woods, there are several ponds, thick rough, and lots of elevation- up, down, flat, and tiers. The baskets are blue and are super nice. The tees are grippy concrete and get the job done. The tee signs were small and looking old, but still informative, and I always like the extra touch of giving every hole a name. The course design is excellent with 17 solid holes that flow nicely. I would not say every hole is a signature hole, but each hole is unique and interesting, and there are no throwaways or fillers (except for #1). And, of course, there are a few memorable signature holes, I especially liked #2 & #3 which are majestic downhill holes with great views, #10 with the multiple levels and ponds, and #17 with the basket up on the rocky hill.
Cons: [The Course]- The biggest thing that disappointed me was the lack of basic maintenance. The fairways were grown up to the point where we were having to send spotters on every hole. John talked about mowing an awful lot the days we were there, but he only started to mow (other courses) the night we left. A lot of the paths were muddy or marshy, and I understand sometimes it rains a lot, but this course has been around long enough to where there should be bridges or even just some wood planks over the usual soggy spots.

#1 did not seem up to the standard of the rest of the holes. It played down a narrow fairway that had the appearance of being freshly cut and therefore not as mature looking as the rest of it. Then you walk back up the hill you just played down to get to #2. (a redesign, maybe?)

Most of the holes here, though not bad, were only pretty standard. It is a solid course all the way around, but to me it did not completely live up to the hype of being a top 5 course (I didn't think it was even the best course at Highbridge!) I enjoyed Blueberry, but it left me wanting more- thankfully there is a lot more here!!!

[The Complex]- Can be summed up in two words- trashy and incomplete. The land is beautiful but is littered with junk and trash and numerous unfinished projects. And then add on top the most important thing of trying to maintain 5 courses while building 2 more, but nature is easily overtaking things. John is fighting a losing battle with an unpaid staff of 2 that can't complete the things that are already here while simultaneously trying to build more stuff. Things appeared to be breaking faster than they could be fixed. The campground was trashy and smelled of raw sewage in several spots. The Honka House has a lot of potential but the pics of the outside don't tell the whole story- inside it is missing basics like drywall, outlet covers, lights, etc. and seems to be used as much for storage of junk as it is for housing guests.
Other Thoughts: [The Course]- This is a difficult course for me to rate. It seems that depending on when you play here it might be anywhere from a 3.5 - 5.0. Its design and setting, along with other quality courses on site, are characteristic of a 5.0, but if you catch it on a day with overgrown fairways and muddy paths (which seem to be often) it is quite disappointing. If you are willing to drive 1000 miles+ to play disc golf then are you are going to want a course that does not appear to be abandoned. I think the design and scenery is a 4.25, but I feel like the day I played it was only worthy of a 3.75- I will give it the benefit of the doubt on course conditions, and the fact there are other courses on site also gives it a boost to a strong 4.0 [Excellent, but not Phenomenal and definitely not Perfect.]

Blueberry requires quality shots, but is not a ridiculously difficult challenge- in fact scoring well as an amateur is realistic. Where some holes can punish, there are many holes that do have a large margin for error where recovery is fairly easy. I think this is part of the appeal in that you can enjoy every shot without getting bored or without getting discouraged.

Also, #3's tee is literally right beside the Honka House, so we actually started there, and finished on #2 which made for an awesome finishing hole! At times the wind can really be a factor on #2 since it is so high up and exposed.

[The Complex]- If you like lots of holes and very rustic lodging then you will love it here. If you have high expectations of well-manicured courses and hotel-like lodging then prepare to be disappointed. John's mission is noble as he wants people of all ages to enjoy the outdoors and has plans to have 7 courses, as well as numerous other activities, but he does not seem concerned with creating a first-class disc golf facility. He dreams big, but appears to have bitten off more than he can chew. Highbridge needs manpower, but does not have the advantage of disc-golf loving locals or park workers that most other courses have. Other private courses don't either, but are usually only 1 course, not 7, and much easier to maintain!

Disappointed

1    7/14/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: slash87
Pros: This is a wonderful course. Most holes have some sort of challenge and the people playing were awesome help.
The course flow is pretty easy to follow as most of the time there is only one path leading through the grass to the next tee box. The maps in the pro shop only helped a little. There are cement tee pads and the course was nicely done with rocks around greens to mark them and using the elevation changes throughout the course. There are even a few small ponds to throw over. Of the 18 holes my favorite was 17. Not terribly difficult but I just love the look of the rocks before the basket (this is ob if you play by the signage).
Cons: I heard so many great things about this course and about how this is the best course out there and sadly it isn't even in my top 4. The fairways had long grass and needed to be mowed. Some signs were not clearly pointing you in the right direction either. As for it being a pay to play it was not what I expected. Golf carts are nice but that was the only amenity I saw that was different then any other course. The proshop was nothing but a place to sign in and pay. I think the hype is the fact that there are multiple courses on this land. This is NOT a top 5 course.
Other Thoughts: I do like this course. I just expected more out of it then what I got. After playing it I was just so bummed out but was cheered right back up when I played one of THE best courses in my life in FLIP CITY. People need to play this course, I just don't think it is the third best course in nation.

My Favorite

2-4    6/5/2011   6/21/2011
Review By: nukematt
Pros: This is the definition of the Highbridge experience. There is a huge amount of variety on this course. As many have said before all the amenities like nice tee pads and signs are great. There is not much traffic so you can take your time, which you will definitely need if the grass is as long as it was when I was there. The flow of the holes is great and each hole tests something different in your game.
Cons: I can't think of one thing that I would change. I like a challenge.
Other Thoughts: I played all the courses at least once on my weekend and Blueberry is the only one I played twice. Definitely a test of all the skills in disc golf. We are planning another trip up there this fall and this will be the first course I play for sure. John is a great man and the complex he has designed for disc golf is amazing.

Blueberry, so sweet

2-4    6/2/2011   6/16/2011
Review By: chillis
This review was updated on 9/5/2012
Pros: - Huge variety here! From the T-pads, lining up an approach, shooting out of the forest, etc. Because of the difficulty and length here (which is a plus!) you'll use every throw in your repertoire. Chances are, you'll use each one of your discs during a round on the Hill.
- Layout is phenomenal. This course is unlike most I've played where you can't hit every pin off the T-box. Strategy and placement here are key to scoring well. The difficulty here is evident as can be with narrow fairways to hit, and bending dog-legs to either (and sometimes both!) side.
- Great signage (despite some being downed during my visit, presumably from heavy storm/wind/rain) and each of the holes have their own 'name' or saying you can ponder or ignore.
- T-boxes are cement, and have ample grip even when wet.
- Views of the surrounding landscape are especially brilliant from Blueberry. Specifically, the first few holes, #2, #3
- Multiple pin placements, current placement noted on the signage.
- Random, sometimes hidden, pot water bunkers placed on a few holes. This adds to the difficulty and risk/reward, as well as the aesthetics of the course. These ponds are DEEP! I do not suggest wading in them for discs, altho the owner did tell me they're fed by underwater springs and are relatively clean.
Cons: I do not have many Cons for this course. I also understand that the grounds keeping crew consists of only 2 members. That being said, most holes were NOT mowed, and the grass was knee-high. My visit to Highbridge took place the weekend after Memorial Day weekend and the 4-day long thunderstorm that ravaged the landscape. Because of this, there was a great amount of standing water hampering our progress. I'm not listing the damage caused by the storms as a Con, however, allowing the grass/fairway/'fringe' to go unchecked for as long as it had for the grass to be as long as it was...is a CON.

Secondly, the bugs here are terribly veracious. Clouds of mosquitos await you at every bend of fairway. Ticks are also ever-present. So keep an eye out for your friends and make sure to check yourself frequently. With enough bug repellent, you should be OK, but I still feel as though a warning is necessary.

Make sure to bring a course map. Without it, you may get lost. That's not to say the course's layout is convoluted, but there trees block your view and can disorient easily.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I played during my maiden visit to Highbridge. It set the tone for the weekend in a very strong manner. This course is an easy 5 stars/discs. Manicured to a high-degree with a ton of thought put into the layout, Blueberry Hill will awe all comers and humble them simultaneously.

I'm a bit dumbstruck by the majesty of all the courses at Highbridge.

Legendary

1    5/24/2011   5/27/2011
Review By: alexaaron
Pros: Every hole on this course was a unique test in strategy and skill. I used every disc I had at some point in the game. The scenery is beautiful and the course is well maintained. Several good oppprtunities to open up and drive and even more chances to work on accuracy. The first hole is a short toss through some trees, easy birdie or ace, followed by two big throws with a little elevation, but also easy deuces. After that, the birdies are harder to come by and placement is key on every shot. A bad throw on any of these holes can get you into plenty of trouble. Really makes you step up your game.
Cons: There really weren't any cons to this course. For me, it emphasized that I am fat and not good at disc golf.

It was muddy in spots but that will change as the warmer weather moves in. Navigating it was a little tricky once or twice but pretty well signed throughout.
Other Thoughts: Ever since I started traveling to play disc golf, everyone has told me to go to Highbridge. It lives up to the hype. The owner John is a great guy and you can tell he loves the courses. It shows in the way he talks about them and the amount of time he devotes to them. He is very proud of this course's high rating and rightly so. This is a course every dger must play.