Highbridge, WI
Highbridge Hills - Granite Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #7 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #7 Sign

Lovin' every minute of it.

5+    5/3/2013   7/7/2013
Review By: metalheaddiscs
Pros: Long but some elevated tees to make a few of these long ones shorter. Not counting 10 and if you think that's bad wait for the 670ft hard uphill 18. Water in play with a couple 4's and a 5. Wonderful views on a lot of holes.
Cons: Its to far from me.
Other Thoughts: HH is a wonderful place with different amazing views on every course. John the owner is the man. He has big vision. It maybe a little to big but he's gaining on it. I've been to HH 5 years runnin and he has improved every year. You can nit pick at this or that but stop sit back and look at whats around you and what it takes to get it done. HH is the true disc golf mecca. I can't wait to go back.

Granite Ridge Review

5+    5/27/2013   7/6/2013
Review By: krupicmd
Pros: Great mix of holes:
This course will challenge you on a variety of shots- uphill, downhill, left, right, big "S's", tight, open, long (400-600ft), short (250-300 ft), etc. You will potentially throw every shot you have and will be able to give it all you have on a couple holes.

Few crowds-
I've played this course about ten times ~6 different trips through varying times of the year and I don't think I've even seen another group on the course, let alone have wait for them on a hole.

Great tee pads- large and grippy.

Natural Solitude/ amazing vistas-
This course is an organic course and since you are so far away from any large cities, you really get to take in the natural environment. The course (when I've played it) has never been overcrowded giving me an opportunity to appreciate the beauty and calmness of the land, and the views on some of the holes overlook the surrounding hillside and farmland are great- autumn is an amazing time to play here.

Carts-
John (the owner of Highbridge Hills) has golf carts available to rent for this course. It is a great course to kick back and drive to your disc- especially if you can bomb them.
Cons: A few holes lack signage on where the next hole is- I definitely recommend grabbing a scorecard at the clubhouse, especially if you haven't played the course before.
Other Thoughts: At a length of 8725 ft, this course is fairly long, however, most of the holes are open- many opportunities to grip it and rip it. If you miss your lines, though, you can end up in trouble- especially on the water holes- water comes into play on about 4-5 holes (a stream runs along the left side of two holes). There is varying terrain- some large downhill shots and hole 18 is a massive uphill hole that takes a few pumps to get up to the hole- the view from the top is spectacular, though.

There are many legitimate par 4s on this course with at least one legitimate par 5. The course will force you to make decisions- it may be risky to try and rip a drive out 350- it may be smarter to play a 250 ft shot in the fairway to give you a decent approach.

I come up to this complex every year or so. When I first started playing disc ~5 years ago, this course was very daunting, but now it is a ton of fun. A beginner wouldn't score very well on this one.

Lastly, I will comment on the whole complex-Highbridge Hills. If you make it up here, chances are you drove a long way, so it doesn't make sense to play just one course. The great thing about the courses at HH is that they vary in difficulty, so pending on your skill level or what you're in the mood for, there is a course that will most likely fit your needs. As standalone courses, a couple are still absolutely amazing- Granite/ Blueberry - but I'd bump the ratings up just because if the course doesn't satisfy you, you only have to walk a couple hundred feet to a totally different course- The Bear- long, tight and woodsy- very hard, Gold-very long, mostly open, Granite- mostly open, fairly long, Woodland Greens- short technical course through the woods, numerous ace runs, Blueberry- open and woodsy, some long, some short technical holes. The grounds are beautiful and calm.

Grantastic!

5+    7/29/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: I'm going to start out with this. If you have not been to Highbridge make your plans now. You are missing out if you have not been there. Plan to spend at least 3 days to enjoy what the golf offers.

Granite Ridge is an absolutely fantastic course. This is the "most" open course on the property and allows you to crush some drives. Don't let the "most" open fool you though. There are still great wooded holes and nasty rough to land in. Just like the other courses there are some great views.

Concrete tee pads are plenty long and flat. Very grippy with great texture.

The baskets are great DGA Mach 3's.

Tee signs are just fine. Shows a good picture of the hole with both pin positions, par, & distance info.

Risk and reward is all over the course. There are options to club down and keep it in the fairway or just grab a driver and let it rip. Your entire game will be tested and you will pay the price.

Elevation comes into play all over the course. You throw up, down, and along many hills.

Water comes into play on several holes. 6, 7, & 9 are primes holes with H2O.

Distance varies from 235 to 805. There are great par 3's along with Pro par 4's and 5's.

Hole #3 is my favorite hole on the course. This is a very fun downhill bomb. It can be rewarding or absolutely punishing throw if you mess it up.

Hole #6 is a downright nasty hole depending on where the pin is. I've seen a 2 on the hole and I've seen an 8.
Cons: These don't hinder my rating of this course. Although not the best the tee signs could be upgraded to the best of the best.

Highbridge is a huge piece of property. Depending on when played the grass can be somewhat long. It depends on when John mows.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely love Highbridge. I have Blueberry, Gold, & Granite as 5 disc courses. It's my #1 favorite place to play disc golf. Keep in mind that this is in the middle of nowhere. Be prepared (food, water, etc...) and bring some good hiking shoes. Bring a friend and spot for each other. This is no walk in the park. I have spent over 2 weeks at Highbridge and the golf is fantastic!

5+    6/4/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: Silhouette
Pros: i love this course! it has everything for any type of player! long shots, narrow/short fairways, left handed and rhfh fairways! AMAZING views!! awesome use of elevation!!!

to top it off- you can branch off to blueberry hill after basket 12!!!! this comes in handy if you are finding yourself exhausted!!!
Cons: the baskets are natural metal color! I had to walk the fairways a few different times to see the basket! it became a little annoying having to walk back to the tee box on those long holes! but at the same time, you come to this course for the challenge...so i guess you should expect this if you want to have a long fairway
Other Thoughts: BE PREPARED TO HIKE!!! that or rent a motor cart!

i will always come back to this course!!!

Best course ever!

2-4    4/2/2012   6/2/2012
Review By: thaban
Pros: -Golf Carts! Need I say more
-excellent elevation changes
-scenery was perfect
-great layout
- greens are well kept
- In the middle of nowhere, you can really lose yourself up here. AND THATS THE POINT
All the other courses on site
Cons: Really there are no cons here for me. I compare every course Ive played to this one. Nothing beats it. Grab some friends and get your ass up there it won't dissapoint.
Other Thoughts: John the owner is awesome guy. If you come plan on staying for 2-3 days just to play all the courses.

One of the best courses in America

5+    9/4/2011   10/28/2011
Review By: Bird dog it
Pros: This course has everything;
-Drastic elevation changes: the views are amazing, there are a few tee pads that play down almost 100 feet to the fairway.
- Great balance of short and long holes, if you can deuce the 200-400 foot holes you might be able to finish under par.
- Great balance of wooded and wide open fairways.
- Hole 18 plays 790 feet up the steepest part of the hill, its a real score killer!
Cons: Stay on the fairways and out of the swamps!
Other Thoughts: You can rent golf carts for this course! This one of several courses located at Highbridge Hills, The owner of this private course (John Jokinen) is the nicest person you will ever meet. He only has one rule; respect his course and your fellow disc golfers and all are welcome. This place is the Disc Golf Mecca, if you play you need to make a trip here!
probably my favorte course because I aced #5 and my brother aced #8 on the same round!

HHSC=Zero Disappointment

1    9/25/2011   9/26/2011
Review By: link_smitty42205
Pros: --I chose to review Granite Ridge because I thought it offered the most out of all the courses I played at HHSC. I played the main four courses: Blueberry Hills, Highbridge Gold, Woodland Greens, and Granite Ridge..In no particular order. Not saying anything bad about blueberry or highbridge gold, they were both stupendous courses as well and I would give them nearly the same review and rating. I just enjoyed Granite the most. Here is why--

+ Variety. This course offers everything I look for in a course when I am playing:

+ Elevation changes--Granite Ridge is layed out on the most open area of the land at Highbridge Hills and it has rolling fairways and a plenty of uphill/downhill shots. It makes for some really challenging uphill drives and a lot of fun downhill throws you can really give it a huck and see how far you can really poke a disc out there.

+ Water Hazards--A good course is not a great course unless it has a few holes where water comes into play IMO. It just creates that added challenge that tests your mental toughness on the course. Water can really psyche some players out and without it you are not reaching your full potential as a disc golfer if you ask me.

+ A quality mixture of shots catering to multiple styles of play--The great courses have a mixture of long/short holes, left/right dog legs, uphill/downhill shots, and holes that combine all these at once. Granite Ridge has all aspects of this along with holes that let every style of player be able to shine. A RHBH thrower will love this course the most, but I throw a RHFH shot a lot too and I used it just as much as a RHBH on this course. There were a lot of straight drive opportunities, S-curve drives, and huge hyzers or anhyzers.

+ Wide fairways yet unforgiving roughs--This is something new that I have been noticing that I really like about some courses. I really like when there are big wide fairways so you can just open up and let a huge "S" curve play out over it. I like it even more if there is a chance that if you tweak your shot a bit too much and hit the rough, you will be punished by not taking advantage of the wide fairway. Using the word "rough" to describe the non-fairway areas at Highbridge Hills is really not doing them justice. These are simply not navigable if you get more than a few feet into them. Super thick underbrush makes it next to impossible for a productive "out" to occur. So take advantage of the fairways on Granite Ridge...the rest of the courses and even some of the holes on this course alone, are not as forgiving.

++My favorite part about this course was the fact that it was such a great combination of beautiful scenery complimented by just a high quality course design. It was a great disc golf experience for me, one of my best ever, and was my personal favorite at HHSC.

Cons: -Maintenance--Keep in my mind, this is digging deep for a negative thing to say about this course and the rest of the courses in general. Yeah some of the courses needed mowing, but I think realistically. It is impossible to stay up on all the mowing with the amount of acreage of fairways at highbridge. The signage is probably the only thing I really noticed. Being that it was my first time up there I had trouble navigating to a few of the holes. Yet there are course maps on the scorecards that made the solution to the problem come a tad easier. A few more "next-tee" signs need to be put up.
Other Thoughts: If you do not make it up to Highbridge Hills and you consider yourself an avid disc golfer, I would call you, simply put, full of shit. This is not called the disc golf mecca for nothing. It is a destination that every disc golfer who truly appreciates the sport needs to make it to at least once in their lifetime.

John, the owner, is an absolute godsend to the sport of disc golf and is just a stand-up person worth knowing. The man does everything in his power for these courses, but there is just so much here, it is hard to keep up with. I can't even say enough praise for the work he has done and I think he does amazing job as it is already. The course maintenance and the rest of the tweaks and tune-ups needed will come with time. He has something spectacular brewing up at HHSC and I will be making multiple return trips every year. I am disappointed it took me this long to make it up there for the first time.

I would also suggest making a fall trip...we got lucky and got up there right as the leaves were in the process of changing and it made for some spectacular views and breathtaking scenery on these courses.

Like other reviewers have stated, make this a multiple day trip. A one day trip will ultimately result in being an absolute teaser. You need to play Granite, Blueberry and Gold at the absolute least, and if you can squeeze those in in one day that is simply astounding unless you are alone (which will make finding discs even harder, so it will probably take even longer).

Therefore, I would also recommend coming with at least one other person, if not more, to help spot on blind holes which are on almost every course. Otherwise plan on losing a lot of plastic.

Happy Hucking.

My new favorite course!

1    3/8/2011   3/11/2011
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 3/13/2011
Pros: Like the prior reviewer, I liked Granite Ridge over Blueberry. This course is perfect in my opinion. It has beautiful hills, well defined fairways, a great mix of open/tight, short/long, uphill/downhill, and hyzer/anhyzer. I used every disc in my bag here and it really tested my game.
Granite, like all the other courses on site, has some breath taking views of the forests around the area and the surrounding rolling hills.
My favorite hole on the entire site, #7, is on this course and it's a dog leg to the left after about 300 feet and then goes another 300 feet to the hole. There's an OB lake to the left of the fairway though, so there's a ton of risk/reward. I went for it, failed, and landed on the frozen lake.
Also, #18 plays 650 feet up a ski hill and it took my group and I forever to play this hole. We had such a blast playing here.
I honestly can't say enough good things about Granite Ridge and the Highbridge Hills Sports Complex in general. We had the best spring break we could have asked for. The only sad thing was that we were only here for 2 days and we barely had enough time to run through all the courses once. I would have killed for an additional day. So when you come to Highbridge, please, please, please plan for more than one day. If you just come here to play Blueberry you're really missing out on some phenomenal courses.
Cons: Make sure you take care of shopping for everything you need before you come here, as it's around 20 miles away from the nearest grocery store. Stock up on food, water, bug spray, and whatever else you may need. It's quite the adventure. :)
Other Thoughts: John Jokinen is a phenomenal guy who really, really takes care of the courses. My group and I met up with him when we were staying there and we talked for about an hour and he said that Highbridge is not even close to it's potential and there will be tons of additions in the future.
He also said that the crazy low prices of lodging and playing the courses won't be raised any time in the near future. The honka house is only $24 a night and I believe the cabins are only $18 a night. My two days and three nights trip only costs me $92, which is essentially the cost of a one night stay at an average hotel. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

1    7/7/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: AdamE
Pros: I believe this course has the most elevation changes of all the Highbridge courses. Like all the courses here, the risk/reward is superb and the property is breathtaking.

This course is longer than Blueberry and slightly more open, but it has more elevation changes and par 4 holes. Even though the holes are longer, accuracy is still much needed for many of the placement shots and to stay out of the rough. I heard the wind is usually a big factor on this course, but when I played here it was fairly calm.

Just like the other courses here, Granite is filled with many memorable holes that would be considered signature hole on nearly any other course.

Navigating the course is easy as there are next tee signs everywhere and maps are provided at the hilltop clubhouse. The concrete tee pads are in great shape. There is lots of landscaping that's been done here, especially with built up hills lined with large rocks. The course is very well maintained and it shows. I just can't say enough good things about this course and the entire complex!
Cons: This course is slightly less manicured than some of the others, but is still in great shape. Some of the tee signs are faded and it can be tough to determine which placement the basket is in sometimes.
Other Thoughts: I really struggled to rate this course. It has less trees than Blueberry, but a lot more elevation to deal with. And as other reviewers have mentioned, the rough is a little worse. When I compare the Highbridge courses to each other, it makes me think this is a 4.5. But compared to all the other courses I've played, it feels more like a 5, so I rated it a 5.

John has put innumerable hours turning this into the best place ever to disc golf and it shows. This is a top notch complex with a number of incredible courses, and there are more courses on the way. If you ever get a chance to make the trip up here, DO IT! Plan on spending more than one day because these courses are long, have lots of elevation changes and they will wear you down. And that's coming from someone who can play 4 rounds in a day no problem.

This truly is the mecca of disc golf!

Long and Awesome

1    6/17/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: PA Frolfer
Pros: It really is tough to beat what Granite Ridge offers - the best views on the property, awesome elevation, water hazards, long holes, and a few shorter holes. Granite Ridge starts innocently enough with a short hole through the woods - number 2 is a short, little turnover...and then hole 3 is possibly the jewel of the entire Highbridge property. Go play this course at dawn and when you get to hole 3 you will see what I mean. Hole 3 is such a beautiful downhill shot, over 550 feet with the best views of the Highbridge hillside. The rest of the front nine offers some good risk/reward shots (including effective use of two big ponds, the largest water hazards on the entire property). Hole 12 is a favorite of mine, as you have to throw approximately 350 feet over open ground to a nice fairway into the woods. Granite also offers (in my opinion) three of the best finishing holes anywhere. 18 is an absolute monster par 5 straight back up the hill, while hole 16 is possibly the best hole on the course (only if the pin is in the long position, which goes right over a nice little creek that is filled with water). While Granite may not be as fun as Blueberry or as hard as Gold, it offers a great challenge with spectacular views and a great feel of being away from everyday life.
Cons: Not much to say bad here - the course is a monster workout, as the elevation is the most extreme on Granite. Hole 8 (down by the road, going up the hill) is a beast of a walk, as is hole 18, but I can't penalize a course of being good exercise. The course has a great feeling of seclusion (almost too secluded - we saw a Bear!), but I would much rather have that than being crowded.
Other Thoughts: Really is tough to beat what Granite offers - this, along with Blueberry and Gold simply offers the best disc golf destination in the world, bar none. With the addition of the Whitetail and the Bear, Highbridge could conceivably have 5 of the 10 top rated courses in the United States. This is a must visit complex and Granite is a must play course!