Highbridge, WI
Highbridge Hills - Granite Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #18 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #18 Sign

love the holes, hate the layout

1    8/18/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: deadbody
Pros: Gorgeous views, gorgeous holes, nice cement pads, you get to drive a cart, brings every shot in your bag to the table multiple times. Basically everything you would design a disc golf course to have is here. Long holes, short holes, left turns, right turns, open bombs, tight gaps. This is a great fun course.
Cons: Layout is kinda goofy, couple spots where the signage is unclear, or you have to cross a different fairway to get to where you need to go. Especially bad with the carts in a few spots, if the course got busy this would be a serious problem. Was bad enough to dock the score by half a star.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't done Highbridge yet, then you are not giving yourself the greatest Disc Golf experience you can get. Seriously the courses here are all top notch.

5+    7/29/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: I'm going to start out with this. If you have not been to Highbridge make your plans now. You are missing out if you have not been there. Plan to spend at least 3 days to enjoy what the golf offers.

Granite Ridge is an absolutely fantastic course. This is the "most" open course on the property and allows you to crush some drives. Don't let the "most" open fool you though. There are still great wooded holes and nasty rough to land in. Just like the other courses there are some great views.

Concrete tee pads are plenty long and flat. Very grippy with great texture.

The baskets are great DGA Mach 3's.

Tee signs are just fine. Shows a good picture of the hole with both pin positions, par, & distance info.

Risk and reward is all over the course. There are options to club down and keep it in the fairway or just grab a driver and let it rip. Your entire game will be tested and you will pay the price.

Elevation comes into play all over the course. You throw up, down, and along many hills.

Water comes into play on several holes. 6, 7, & 9 are primes holes with H2O.

Distance varies from 235 to 805. There are great par 3's along with Pro par 4's and 5's.

Hole #3 is my favorite hole on the course. This is a very fun downhill bomb. It can be rewarding or absolutely punishing throw if you mess it up.

Hole #6 is a downright nasty hole depending on where the pin is. I've seen a 2 on the hole and I've seen an 8.
Cons: These don't hinder my rating of this course. Although not the best the tee signs could be upgraded to the best of the best.

Highbridge is a huge piece of property. Depending on when played the grass can be somewhat long. It depends on when John mows.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely love Highbridge. I have Blueberry, Gold, & Granite as 5 disc courses. It's my #1 favorite place to play disc golf. Keep in mind that this is in the middle of nowhere. Be prepared (food, water, etc...) and bring some good hiking shoes. Bring a friend and spot for each other. This is no walk in the park. I have spent over 2 weeks at Highbridge and the golf is fantastic!

5+    6/4/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: Silhouette
Pros: i love this course! it has everything for any type of player! long shots, narrow/short fairways, left handed and rhfh fairways! AMAZING views!! awesome use of elevation!!!

to top it off- you can branch off to blueberry hill after basket 12!!!! this comes in handy if you are finding yourself exhausted!!!
Cons: the baskets are natural metal color! I had to walk the fairways a few different times to see the basket! it became a little annoying having to walk back to the tee box on those long holes! but at the same time, you come to this course for the challenge...so i guess you should expect this if you want to have a long fairway
Other Thoughts: BE PREPARED TO HIKE!!! that or rent a motor cart!

i will always come back to this course!!!

Best course ever!

2-4    4/2/2012   6/2/2012
Review By: thaban
Pros: -Golf Carts! Need I say more
-excellent elevation changes
-scenery was perfect
-great layout
- greens are well kept
- In the middle of nowhere, you can really lose yourself up here. AND THATS THE POINT
All the other courses on site
Cons: Really there are no cons here for me. I compare every course Ive played to this one. Nothing beats it. Grab some friends and get your ass up there it won't dissapoint.
Other Thoughts: John the owner is awesome guy. If you come plan on staying for 2-3 days just to play all the courses.

One of the best courses in America

5+    9/4/2011   10/28/2011
Review By: Bird dog it
Pros: This course has everything;
-Drastic elevation changes: the views are amazing, there are a few tee pads that play down almost 100 feet to the fairway.
- Great balance of short and long holes, if you can deuce the 200-400 foot holes you might be able to finish under par.
- Great balance of wooded and wide open fairways.
- Hole 18 plays 790 feet up the steepest part of the hill, its a real score killer!
Cons: Stay on the fairways and out of the swamps!
Other Thoughts: You can rent golf carts for this course! This one of several courses located at Highbridge Hills, The owner of this private course (John Jokinen) is the nicest person you will ever meet. He only has one rule; respect his course and your fellow disc golfers and all are welcome. This place is the Disc Golf Mecca, if you play you need to make a trip here!
probably my favorte course because I aced #5 and my brother aced #8 on the same round!

HHSC=Zero Disappointment

1    9/25/2011   9/26/2011
Review By: link_smitty42205
Pros: --I chose to review Granite Ridge because I thought it offered the most out of all the courses I played at HHSC. I played the main four courses: Blueberry Hills, Highbridge Gold, Woodland Greens, and Granite Ridge..In no particular order. Not saying anything bad about blueberry or highbridge gold, they were both stupendous courses as well and I would give them nearly the same review and rating. I just enjoyed Granite the most. Here is why--

+ Variety. This course offers everything I look for in a course when I am playing:

+ Elevation changes--Granite Ridge is layed out on the most open area of the land at Highbridge Hills and it has rolling fairways and a plenty of uphill/downhill shots. It makes for some really challenging uphill drives and a lot of fun downhill throws you can really give it a huck and see how far you can really poke a disc out there.

+ Water Hazards--A good course is not a great course unless it has a few holes where water comes into play IMO. It just creates that added challenge that tests your mental toughness on the course. Water can really psyche some players out and without it you are not reaching your full potential as a disc golfer if you ask me.

+ A quality mixture of shots catering to multiple styles of play--The great courses have a mixture of long/short holes, left/right dog legs, uphill/downhill shots, and holes that combine all these at once. Granite Ridge has all aspects of this along with holes that let every style of player be able to shine. A RHBH thrower will love this course the most, but I throw a RHFH shot a lot too and I used it just as much as a RHBH on this course. There were a lot of straight drive opportunities, S-curve drives, and huge hyzers or anhyzers.

+ Wide fairways yet unforgiving roughs--This is something new that I have been noticing that I really like about some courses. I really like when there are big wide fairways so you can just open up and let a huge "S" curve play out over it. I like it even more if there is a chance that if you tweak your shot a bit too much and hit the rough, you will be punished by not taking advantage of the wide fairway. Using the word "rough" to describe the non-fairway areas at Highbridge Hills is really not doing them justice. These are simply not navigable if you get more than a few feet into them. Super thick underbrush makes it next to impossible for a productive "out" to occur. So take advantage of the fairways on Granite Ridge...the rest of the courses and even some of the holes on this course alone, are not as forgiving.

++My favorite part about this course was the fact that it was such a great combination of beautiful scenery complimented by just a high quality course design. It was a great disc golf experience for me, one of my best ever, and was my personal favorite at HHSC.

Cons: -Maintenance--Keep in my mind, this is digging deep for a negative thing to say about this course and the rest of the courses in general. Yeah some of the courses needed mowing, but I think realistically. It is impossible to stay up on all the mowing with the amount of acreage of fairways at highbridge. The signage is probably the only thing I really noticed. Being that it was my first time up there I had trouble navigating to a few of the holes. Yet there are course maps on the scorecards that made the solution to the problem come a tad easier. A few more "next-tee" signs need to be put up.
Other Thoughts: If you do not make it up to Highbridge Hills and you consider yourself an avid disc golfer, I would call you, simply put, full of shit. This is not called the disc golf mecca for nothing. It is a destination that every disc golfer who truly appreciates the sport needs to make it to at least once in their lifetime.

John, the owner, is an absolute godsend to the sport of disc golf and is just a stand-up person worth knowing. The man does everything in his power for these courses, but there is just so much here, it is hard to keep up with. I can't even say enough praise for the work he has done and I think he does amazing job as it is already. The course maintenance and the rest of the tweaks and tune-ups needed will come with time. He has something spectacular brewing up at HHSC and I will be making multiple return trips every year. I am disappointed it took me this long to make it up there for the first time.

I would also suggest making a fall trip...we got lucky and got up there right as the leaves were in the process of changing and it made for some spectacular views and breathtaking scenery on these courses.

Like other reviewers have stated, make this a multiple day trip. A one day trip will ultimately result in being an absolute teaser. You need to play Granite, Blueberry and Gold at the absolute least, and if you can squeeze those in in one day that is simply astounding unless you are alone (which will make finding discs even harder, so it will probably take even longer).

Therefore, I would also recommend coming with at least one other person, if not more, to help spot on blind holes which are on almost every course. Otherwise plan on losing a lot of plastic.

Happy Hucking.

Granite Ridge

1    6/8/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Pros- [The Complex]- There are presently 5 complete 18-hole courses, with 2 more still being constructed. I like the fact that the courses are designed to be at varying levels of difficulty (hardest-> Gold-Granite-Blueberry-Woodland-Chestnut <-easiest) so if you come and play them all you will have a well-rounded experience of both challenging Žskill-testers and more relaxing, fun rounds. Each course has different colored baskets that correspond to the course's name. The courses are set on an amazing piece of land that is huge and contains many natural features that are ideal for disc golf (open, woods, elevation, and ponds). The land is dedicated purely to disc golf and is so isolated that only disc golfers will be here, and chances are you will have these courses all to yourself. Huge props need to be given to the course designer for placing all the courses where they aren't on top of each other, each has its own character, and individual hole design is very creative and well-done. John, the owner, is very nice and loves to have people come and play. He works extremely hard on the courses and on the facility as a whole.

[The Course]- Granite Ridge is a moderately challenging 18-hole course beginning in the woods for a few holes and then opens up onto land that used to be a golf course of the same name. There is great diversity in hole length ranging from ace runs and birdie opportunities to legit par 4/5 holes. There is a great deal of elevation in play here both up and down (maybe the most of all the Highbridge courses), but there are many holes that are flat also. There are some ponds and marshy areas in play on several holes.

There are several risk-reward tee shots- (example, take the shorter route by throwing over the corner of the pond, or play it safe in the wide landing area, but making par much harder to get.) There was a really cool tee area on top of a hill that contained tees for 3 different holes, would be a good area for spectators during a tournament. Also, on a few of the longer holes there were an alternate shorter tee and on some of the water holes there was a drop zone tee.
Cons: [The Course]- Like much of the complex, the first 6 holes through the woods needed mowed badly, however, the rest of the course was not as affected by the lack of mowing, and to be fair John mowed it all night long (yes all night!) after we played it and it looked amazing as we drove by it when we left. Navigation was pretty easy, but there were a few spots in the open holes where next tee signs would have been a nice bonus- maybe when it is mowed there are clear paths?

There was a good balance of the number of wooded and open holes, but instead of a mix, there are several similar style holes in a row getting from the pro shop out to the old golf course area. (This had to be done in order to keep all #1 tees for 6 courses in the same general area.)

I thought the course tended to favor RHBH, unlike Blueberry, Gold, and Woodland.

[The Complex]- Can be summed up in two words- trashy and incomplete. The land is beautiful but is littered with junk and trash and numerous unfinished projects. And then add on top the most important thing of trying to maintain 5 courses while building 2 more, but nature is easily overtaking things. John is fighting a losing battle with an unpaid staff of 2 that can't complete the things that are already here while simultaneously trying to build more stuff. Things appeared to be breaking faster than they could be fixed. The campground was trashy and smelled of raw sewage in several spots. The Honka House has a lot of potential but the pics of the outside don't tell the whole story- inside it is missing basics like drywall, outlet covers, lights, etc. and seems to be used as much for storage of junk as it is for housing guests.
Other Thoughts: [The Course]- This was my favorite of all the courses at Highbridge (yes, even over Gold and Blueberry) as it had the mental challenges like you find on the Gold course, but still had the charm, fun, and accessibility to non-pros like found on Blueberry. I am not usually a huge fan of disc golf holes that are more open and have wide fairways, but something about this course made it a pleasure to play. It actually gave me a ball golf feel with it mix of par 3's and 4's. Also, this is one course where you can rent a golf cart, but it is not really necessary, and not recommended.

[The Complex]- If you like lots of holes and very rustic lodging then you will love it here. If you have high expectations of well-manicured courses and hotel-like lodging then prepare to be disappointed. John's mission is noble as he wants people of all ages to enjoy the outdoors and has plans to have 7 courses, as well as numerous other activities, but he does not seem concerned with creating a first-class disc golf facility. He dreams big, but appears to have bitten off more than he can chew. Highbridge needs manpower, but does not have the advantage of disc-golf loving locals or park workers that most other courses have. Other private courses don't either, but are usually only 1 course, not 7, and much easier to maintain!

My new favorite course!

1    3/8/2011   3/11/2011
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 3/13/2011
Pros: Like the prior reviewer, I liked Granite Ridge over Blueberry. This course is perfect in my opinion. It has beautiful hills, well defined fairways, a great mix of open/tight, short/long, uphill/downhill, and hyzer/anhyzer. I used every disc in my bag here and it really tested my game.
Granite, like all the other courses on site, has some breath taking views of the forests around the area and the surrounding rolling hills.
My favorite hole on the entire site, #7, is on this course and it's a dog leg to the left after about 300 feet and then goes another 300 feet to the hole. There's an OB lake to the left of the fairway though, so there's a ton of risk/reward. I went for it, failed, and landed on the frozen lake.
Also, #18 plays 650 feet up a ski hill and it took my group and I forever to play this hole. We had such a blast playing here.
I honestly can't say enough good things about Granite Ridge and the Highbridge Hills Sports Complex in general. We had the best spring break we could have asked for. The only sad thing was that we were only here for 2 days and we barely had enough time to run through all the courses once. I would have killed for an additional day. So when you come to Highbridge, please, please, please plan for more than one day. If you just come here to play Blueberry you're really missing out on some phenomenal courses.
Cons: Make sure you take care of shopping for everything you need before you come here, as it's around 20 miles away from the nearest grocery store. Stock up on food, water, bug spray, and whatever else you may need. It's quite the adventure. :)
Other Thoughts: John Jokinen is a phenomenal guy who really, really takes care of the courses. My group and I met up with him when we were staying there and we talked for about an hour and he said that Highbridge is not even close to it's potential and there will be tons of additions in the future.
He also said that the crazy low prices of lodging and playing the courses won't be raised any time in the near future. The honka house is only $24 a night and I believe the cabins are only $18 a night. My two days and three nights trip only costs me $92, which is essentially the cost of a one night stay at an average hotel. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

My personal favorite Highbridge course

1    9/13/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Best Course in my opinion in Highbridge. That's saying alot because that place is loaded with great courses
I'm a sucker for elevation changes and this one is one of the best I've ever played.
A little tougher then Blueberry, with better elevation changes but not nearly as tough as Highbridge Gold, Highbridge Gold was beyond my skill level
Like every course at this complex it is built on great land, part open, lots of hills, and the wooded courses have well defined fairways
Every kind of Shot you could want.
Well taken care of, mowed and clean
Great staff
Lots of camping with great people
If your worn out from several days of Disc Golfing you can rent a Golf Cart
Cons: Bears, I didn't see any and I'm told they're harmless. But just knowing they were in the area made me paranoid. I'm an experienced camper but never in bear territory.

It takes a whole day of driving for me to get there
Other Thoughts: Highbridge hills is amazing. It doesn't boast my all time favorite course but it is definitely my favorite Disc Golf destination. Lots of courses on site and the staff is beyond great. (They will even stop by your campsite when your not around and put wood on your fire so it doesn't burn out) You'll meet lots of other cool and interesting Disc Golfers while your there and if your a person that enjoys camping that's great, but if your not you can stay in the Bunkhouse. Shower facilities are on site as well.

I thought Granite beat out Blueberry. I know there are many people who will disagree but I think it's that good. That's not a knock on Blueberry either because I thought that one was top notch as well.

The fairways in the wooded holes present a challenge but they're not too tight, they are cleared out and pretty wide.

It's got some great changes in elevation and even the open holes mix it up and require some thought.

Anyone who loves Disc Golf road trips needs check out Highbridge. There is no other place like it. It doesn't matter how far the drive is, it's worth it. Make sure you set aside a few days because you'll never be able to hit it all up in an afternoon. I really hope I get back out there one day

1    7/7/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: AdamE
Pros: I believe this course has the most elevation changes of all the Highbridge courses. Like all the courses here, the risk/reward is superb and the property is breathtaking.

This course is longer than Blueberry and slightly more open, but it has more elevation changes and par 4 holes. Even though the holes are longer, accuracy is still much needed for many of the placement shots and to stay out of the rough. I heard the wind is usually a big factor on this course, but when I played here it was fairly calm.

Just like the other courses here, Granite is filled with many memorable holes that would be considered signature hole on nearly any other course.

Navigating the course is easy as there are next tee signs everywhere and maps are provided at the hilltop clubhouse. The concrete tee pads are in great shape. There is lots of landscaping that's been done here, especially with built up hills lined with large rocks. The course is very well maintained and it shows. I just can't say enough good things about this course and the entire complex!
Cons: This course is slightly less manicured than some of the others, but is still in great shape. Some of the tee signs are faded and it can be tough to determine which placement the basket is in sometimes.
Other Thoughts: I really struggled to rate this course. It has less trees than Blueberry, but a lot more elevation to deal with. And as other reviewers have mentioned, the rough is a little worse. When I compare the Highbridge courses to each other, it makes me think this is a 4.5. But compared to all the other courses I've played, it feels more like a 5, so I rated it a 5.

John has put innumerable hours turning this into the best place ever to disc golf and it shows. This is a top notch complex with a number of incredible courses, and there are more courses on the way. If you ever get a chance to make the trip up here, DO IT! Plan on spending more than one day because these courses are long, have lots of elevation changes and they will wear you down. And that's coming from someone who can play 4 rounds in a day no problem.

This truly is the mecca of disc golf!