Cornelius, NC
Bailey Road Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #6 (Taken 5/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Short, fun, crowded layout

1    2/8/2015   2/8/2015
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: -Fun, short holes
-Although short, the holes often required thought and shot placement
-Good mix of wooded, and open holes
-In an active park with activities for the rest of the family
Cons: -In an active park with plenty of activities for plenty of other people to get in the way
-Crowded course layout with many tee boxes close to the previous basket. An errant shot could easily land in the fairway or tee area of the next hole
-Did I mention crowded? Between the golfers, kids playing and other park goers, on the Sunday afternoon that I played it was packed packed packed
-Older/missing tee signs
Other Thoughts: This course being designed for Juniors, GrandMasters and beginners is spot on. The shorter hole lengths make it easy on newer players, but the challenging pin placements keep it from being too easy.

I did enjoy playing the course as it's a fun alternative to the longer typical courses, and can easily be played with a Mid and Putter, with maybe one longer fairway disc.

The course layout being so close together in some places meant there were several tee pads close to the previous pin, which I'm not a big fan of, and one of the reasons my rating for the course fell.

Fun course, but the layout and course maintenance leaves room for improvement. Combined that with a crowded park, and that gets the 2.5 rating

Worth a try!

Best short course around

5+    1/17/2015   1/17/2015
Review By: DougT21
Pros: You have to take this course for what it is.. a short course meant for beginners/intermediate players. So "not long enough cant be a con".

Course is well designed and has great ratio of woods to opens... and right to left shots.

So taking that in to effect this is def the best short course i have ever had the pleasure of playing.
Cons: Too many briars! Some areas get extremely muddy after rain.
Other Thoughts: Cant get much better for a short course.

Great starter course

1    1/11/2015   1/13/2015
Review By: Pbmercil
Pros: I only had time for 1 quick round while I was blowing through the Charlotte area. I picked BRP specifically because I knew it wouldn't take me long to play and I could get back on the road quickly. Only in the Charlotte area can a small, short course like this be so well executed. Its really a big testament to the amount of dedication and talent in the local disc golf community that even a small course like this can be so well executed and maintained.

This is probably the best short, pitch and putt style course I've ever played.

Navigation was a piece of cake. Next tee arrows were obvious, no transitions were hard to identify playing my first time with no map.

Tee signs were fine. The holes play so short that its not exactly hard to tell where you're supposed to be going

Course was obviously well kept. Fairways were clearly mowed to assist in identifying the line of play on every hole, which is a nice touch.

A variety of different lines were available on most holes, and this course worked all the angles possible. I always prefer courses where you can't throw a righty hyzer every time. Really quality hole designs considering the amount of space and the target audience (beginners)
Cons: I didn't really feel like any holes stood out as spectacular to me. My favorite courses all have a really beautiful, signature hole, and I didn't see one here. The most memorable hole was probably the down hill under the powerlines, but that is more of a gimmick then a signature.

A couple of the teepads were undersized. I didn't really care because on a course this short you really shouldn't be using a full run up, but it was noticeable.

Due to the ease of play I would expect this course to be pretty packed during peak season and hours. The day I played it was busy but fine, I'm sure its a different story other times of the year though.

Lack of difficulty is a con for me. I know as an advanced player I'm not the target audience for this course and that's fine, but it is really easy. Though I would certainly recommend any younger or newer players start at BRP I probably won't go out of my way to play it again. Any course I don't feel compelled to play again will not get a high rating by me.
Other Thoughts: This really is a great course to get people started in the sport. Beginners will have some different lines to work on without feeling like they're getting killed trying to figure out how to throw a disc. More advanced players can take all the drivers out of the bag and focus on short game and ace runs. What's not to like about 18 aceable holes?

All that being said, I just can't rate such a short and easy course highly. Don't get me wrong, I think having well executed easy courses is a great thing for our sport, but those courses are never going to be reviewed 3 or more discs by me. Its a big testament to the work that went into this course that I'm giving it 2.5 (and I was strongly tempted to go to 3) for as short and easy as it is. It really is a well done course, but you can only do so much with what you have.

Date: 1/14/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the compliments. Perhaps you can give it that 3 rating because of the 2 additional holes soon to be 3! Its actually a 20 hole course (I hope that you played them) and #21 is cut and dragged! I designed the course for the juniors and grand masters+ divisions for worlds...so it had to be that skill level appropriate.

B.R.P (Beginners Ready to Play)

5+    4/1/2013   11/10/2013
Review By: Bergman Bomber
Pros: I absolutely love Baileys Road Park. It is more of a open, "parky" course, but has a good variety of wooded holes. Not a lot of elevation changes and most pins are around 200 feet so it makes for a fun Ace Drive on almost every hole. And with that being said it makes for the perfect place to bring a new disc golfer and introduce them to the sport, without making the experienced player bored. It is a great course to test new throw's and new disc's with many of the fairways being open and not left or right hand dominant. Baileys is also perfect for getting a full game in after work or in the late afternoon, or wrap up a long day of disc golf in the Charlotte area. And when it comes to the non-private courses in the area this is the most well maintained course. It seems like they mow the grass everyday and the wooded fairways are always clear. There are also a couple very unique holes. Hole 9 under the power lines is one of my favorites and 18 the pin between 2 trees. And to top it all off the views you can get from Baileys Road Park in the evening, when the sun is starting to set is absolutely amazing.
Cons: What I think turns a lot of disc golfer way Baileys is how easy it is. It is one of the easier courses in the area but that can make for a great confidence booster when any disc golfer needs that. The course is easy to navigate but be careful around hole 11, its a hard right hand dogs leg that can catch you off guard if its your first time. The roughage here is, well, really rough. I myself have lost a couple disc here just by turning them over into the thick, sharp foliage, so be careful. The actual full 20 holes is 2 holes that are commonly skipped, marked 13 A and B, which I don't know why there are not labeled 14, 15 ect. But when its all set and done its not a Con to have low score right?
Other Thoughts: Overall Baileys is a very fun course. Weather its your first time or you're a 10 year veteran, it's a quick and fun 20 holes. A quick shout out to Russell Schwarz and Mark Huether for the great upkeep of this awesome course on this awesome family-friendly park. If you got a first timer on your hand's be sure to take them to Baileys and spread the love of disc golf.

Date: 11/21/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Pet Pieve - Bailey not Baileys

Thanks for the review. 14 and 15 were not labeled that way because we couldnt have a 20 hole layout for Worlds and we wanted the baskets to be labeled in order. Just wait for 13A,B &C! and 15 A and 15 B! ...once I get this Robbins Park course done.

Great place to learn

5+    11/1/2013   11/7/2013
Review By: JrodMan
Pros: Bailey Road Park is a lot of fun! Its not very challenging for the more advanced player but lots of fun! None of the holes are over 300 feet so its easy to get a good score there. I got my first ACE here and I have only been playing for less than a year! This course is really easy to navigate with the tee boxes being close to each other. Also want to add that BRP is very well maintained course!
Cons: Not many complaints with this course. Only that the tee boxes could be a little bit bigger on 17 and 18.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is alot of fun for everybody! Its worth the time to go play!

Fun Little Course

1    6/9/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: NC-Tuc
Pros: For the first time playing Bailey I had a great time. Met some good DG folks out there. The course is well kept and very fun to play. If your a new player I'd say play here a couple times before going to other courses! For players that have played awhile it is a good practice/warm up course. I'm a Bogey player pretty much but trying to change that by playing more and at different courses to hone my skills. I got my First 2 Birdies at Bailey and shot a nice 59 which in my book is good for me. I will be playing here more often since it's a nice quick course. 3 of us played it in 1-1/2 hrs and that was taking our time and chatting with other DGers.
Cons: Really don't have any cons that I seen other than an errant shot and wished that tree I hit wasn't in the way of my next shot.
Other Thoughts: Just an all around great course that's fun to play and can boost your confidence in your playing. I will be bringing my daughter & son out here to get them into playing.

fun but short

5+    4/1/2013   4/1/2013
Review By: quiggdisc1
Pros: very fun. some great shots for people that are starting thier discgolf life. also great for a getting a round in with little time.
Cons: once i really got into the round it was over. but still fun
Other Thoughts: worth the drive.

Great Short Course

5+    3/10/2013   3/24/2013
Review By: terptwerp
Pros: This is a great course for beginners or for more experienced players working on their short game. There are a variety of holes (wooded/open, uphill/downhill, hyzer/anhyzer). Mark does a great job maintaining the course and keeping signage in place (which is not easy with the recent vandalism).
Cons: Briars cover much of the borders of the fairways. This can result in lost discs or número use scratches if you go off course. However, this is a pro when the blackberries are ripe in summer.

Hole 15 is a bit out of place on the course. It is a fun hole for more experienced players, but will likely frustrate most beginners.
Other Thoughts: The course is where many of us in the north side of the county learned how to play and is largely responsible for the high number of players in the area.

If you are new to the game or want to play a quick round it is fantastic.

Random doubles glow golf is played on Mondays at dusk. A fun way to play a casual competitive round and meet other players.

Beginner Road

1    8/1/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: This course is in a very nice park. It is very short and super beginner friendly. It has many holes playing in the open. The grass is very lush and mowed. The open holes have brush or large trees protecting the green area. The rest of the holes play in the woods. There is some slight rolling terrain around the course and water comes into play on a few holes. There was water and restrooms located near the parking.

Excellent Innova Discatchers.

Great concrete tee pads.

Good signage.

Navigation was super easy and super fast to play.

Course forced many basic lines.

More skilled players can dump the bag and play this course with a couple of discs. This course measures around 4,300ft. You can go old school and play it with a big lid.
Cons: This course is very very short and won't challenge more skilled players. 16 of the holes range from 155 to 255 in distance. The other 2 are listed at 300ft.

I almost deducted a 1/2 disc for this reason. I felt like this was the most poorly designed course in Charlotte. They built a wooden fence to protect the tee on #5 from being thrown on from #4. They also installed a big arrow pointing to #11. Another basket is in view and they planted some shrubs. Beginners will be bombarding that green with their shots. #16 plays down the walking path.

#18 was a very uneventful finish. Playing away from the parking by #1 then walking back.
Other Thoughts: I saw this course had a weekly glow league. That would be fun to play on this course.

This is by far the easiest course I played in Charlotte. It's a good mix up to make you feel like you can play this game after taking a beating from the harder courses.

Date: 3/14/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for the review.

Unfortunatly sometimes a design is limited to what is allowed by a park department. This comment has a number of good "Cons" to discuss.

The "purpose" of this course redesign from 9 to 18 was to host very old and very young competitors for the 2012 worlds. In addition, it is intended to be "Your first course" and attracts hundreds of beginners/families daily. It is one of Charlotte's most played courses and is not in any way targeted towards the more advanced player.

Hole 4's backstop wall is a result of the skill level that plays at Bailey. 1 disc recreational players can over throw this green because of the speed of their 1 disc. 4-5 Green to Tee is about 80' and longer than many transitions in Charlotte. The wall isnt necessary however even the best planned 200' hole doesnt account for someone throwing 400'. Sometimes it just is not feasible with space provided to make a 200' hole with 200' of buffer. The comment of the wall should be in the pro section. I have played MANY courses where tees and greens encroached on each other and most provided no protection. At least here thought to what "could" happen (albiet rarely) was given.

Shots from hole 6 penetrate hole 7's fairway. It is difficult to design around players throwing 320' throws on 180' fairways.

Hole 11 and 13 were part of the original design and have never been a problem. The large arrow is just a courtesy indicator of the actual fairway until the rows of crepe myrtle obscure the basket of 13 from 11. Seeing alternate/incorrect baskets in a meandering park design is common in disc golf, especially in open parks. At least here care has been taken to inform the thrower in multiple ways the correct bend of the fairway. Communication and the arrow sign should be considered a pro.

Hole 16 is bordered by 30' of tall grass and then a walking path to the left. Walking path borders are not uncommon in disc golf and the thrower/walker has a clear view of the entire disc golf hole. The walking path sits about 4' higher in elevation than the fairway, giving the walker an even better view and eliminating a good % of errant shots that cross the path. I actually used a disc golf shot predictor excel document that I found online to predict the % of shots that would cross this path or enter the switching station on #17. I presented this information to the town board when the course was designed.

Original design of the course had #18 finish after the current #18 around the back of the basketball courts. I nixed this for safety of the ball players. I toyed with a design that had 18 reversed with a double mando through the 2 green protective trees throwing back towards hole 1, however, that would have made the basket be surrounded on three sides by road or parking lot with the busy park road being on the Hyzer and prevailing wind side. The safety of this vs 200' extra finishing transition eliminated that hole direction from the final design. Players can finish the hole and safely transition to the border parking lot to get back to their cars. Also, the direction of 18 allows me to continue expanding the course as funding comes available. I have plans for 4 more holes prior to hole 16 and I can add some behind the basketball courts and baseball fields. For a 22-28 hole course that will reduce wear and tear on the current overplayed part.

Perfect Beginner course

5+    7/11/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Perfect beginner course

The course is mowed regularly and the open holes fairways look very nice.

It is an extremly easy course to navigate the signage is good and in most cases you can see the next tee from the previous baskets.

The design offers good variety of open and wooded holes and uses elevation change very well for such a short course.

Most of the time man made obstacles on a course are a negative for me but in this case the giant power line tower on hole 9 makes for a very unique hole in my opinion and makes for a fun hole.

The Blackberries on this course are some of the best I've ever had and its great to have a built in snack during the summer months.
Cons: The rough can be extremly rough and water comes into play on 2 holes inso there is a chance for a lost disc. There are also many briars in these areas that can tear you up

Very long transition from 15 to 16

This course has a few jacklegs that play it so there can be broken bottles and spraypaint on the course.
Other Thoughts: Bailey Road Park is a perfect design for its target group of players which are kids and beginner players. It is likely one of the most played courses in the charlotte area because so many players who are new to the sport play here. while experienced players will find it boring or too easy disc golf needs more courses like this so that people who are not as good or experienced can be introduced to the game on a course that can let them have some sucess

This course is very close to bradford and a private course which could make for a fun day of dg. bailey is a perfect course to throw in for a fun/quick round if you are in the area.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you Pat.

The park department has limited the size tree that can be cut at Bailey Road Park. Therefore holes have to be designed to be shorter, wooded holes cannot be made fair if trees cannot be cut. Hole 15-16 transition is less than the old hole 15-16 transition since the creation of new hole 15. Hole 15 is one my favorites and most challenging on the course so I had to include it in for Worlds. Don't be suprised to see an additional 2 holes between 15 and 16 in the near future. I purposly planned 15 to allow for additional holes when the course grows to its full 24 hole size.

< Prev 1 2 3 4