Cornelius, NC
Bailey Road Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #4 (Taken 5/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

1    9/5/2015   9/7/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: One of the best red/white level courses that I have played. Very designs can tread the edge of making a course appropriate for that skill level without making it boring but Bailey Road is a prime example of how to do that right and if I had started playing on the course, my enthusiasm would have developed much more quickly. Open holes, wooded holes, flat holes, uphill, holes, downhill holes. Everything is here and all at a level that shouldn't overload new players. The wooded fairways are generous, forgiving of lines that aren't perfect but punishing of shanks and noob hyzers. The open holes add a little length but not so much that it is going to take a rookie a half-dozen throws to traverse them. Most importantly, the navigation is easy with both tee signs and next arrows the wooded sections are clean enough so that disc searches will rarely be a problem. Great course for appealing to new players and encouraging them but still manages to be interesting to those that have been around a bit.
The course starts off fairly simply, with a few flat holes that are mostly open but there is really quite a bit of variety, highlighted by 15's long uphill climb through the woods. 10 provided a similar climb but in an open setting, while I think it was 13A that had a nice left-curving downhill to a fairway that slopes sharply to the right as the basket is approached. I also like the blind toss with a right hook at the very end on 9? (I'm not sure, the pictures on the sits seem to be outdated.)
Cons: It's great that the course caters to a specific demographic and one that is not served by the other two course in the area. It really does a fantastic job of hitting that mark. But veterans should not think of this as a destination course. It's not going to wow anyone, or leave too much of a memory as time goes by. It's interesting but not that interesting. And that's really it. As such, straddles the line between a 3 and a 3.5 for me.

Date: 9/8/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
I think the holes you mentioned:
12 is the downhill curl to the left.
13A&B are shorties in the woods
Right hooking shot you thought was 9 was probably hole 15 (9 is under the power lines to the pond) 15 is a hole that would fit on any skill level course. Course was designed for a certain demo, thanks (makes a great glow golf course every Monday evening)

Great Beginner Level Course

5+    8/18/2015   8/20/2015
Review By: btimm
Pros: The Bailey Road Disc Golf Course is a great beginner level course. You have to know that when reviewing the course, and not unfairly compare it to something it was not intended to be.

The hole layouts make excellent use of the layout of the land and it has a natural flow from hole to hole. It does not seem to favor righties or lefties and offers a wide variety of shots to score well. It's a really good place to play a quick round, in under an hour, and work on your approach shots. It's also a friendly course with respect to finding discs and not getting punished severely for a poor shot as a beginner.

The maintenance of the course is also really solid. For the most part, if you veer into the woods with a shot, you won't get too beat up by briars looking for a disc.
Cons: When you realize the course is intended to be a course for beginners, it's difficult to find a con to the course. I would like to see a tee pad clearly marked on 15, but as noted in the previous review, that is only missing due to repaving of the pathway and is noted and will soon be resolved. The growth left of the path on 16 could be trimmed down as well, buuuuut I suspect that is not allowed to prevent a runoff issue from the soccer fields. Honestly, it is difficult to think of any negatives when you review it as a course intended for beginners and is family oriented. You won't find 400-foot tee shots needed, but you shouldn't - that would defeat the purpose of the course.
Other Thoughts: They run a night disc golf league on Monday nights. Random doubles and it's really laid back and fun. I played for the first time this past Monday and really enjoyed playing. I will definitely play again this upcoming Monday, weather permitting. You should definitely look into trying the night disc golf league if you have the time!

Short but fun! Beautiful park.

1    8/15/2015   8/16/2015
Review By: Harpo1989
Pros: My wife and I have only been playing for a few weeks and we found this a very nice play to play for our skill level. While she has no aspirations to work at her game, she likes to get out there with me for some exercise and this setting was perfect.

We played on a Saturday morning and it was a bit crowded but once play started, it moved right along and we played all 20 holes in 73 minutes based on my scoring app.

This was only the 5th different course we've ever played and one thing I really did like was the practice basket right at the first tee. The practice basket had markers at varying distances so you knew how long of a practice putt you were making.

It was really nice to see other people with you kids out there.

Lastly, there were no holes where we worried about losing a disc. There is a pond beyond the basket on one hole and off to the right on the tower hole but you would have to be way off your mark to lose it in the water. Right now it's mostly mud due to the drought we're in.
Cons: It was almost too short. I don't think I used anything more than a mid-range with several holes only requiring a putter. While a con for some, I found this a great way to work on approaches and putting.

The tee box for the 15th tee wasn't readily apparent. Fortunately I did recall reading beforehand that there was one tee box on a walking/bike path and we figured out where we needed to be although some markings on the pavement would have been nice.
Other Thoughts: I'm still making my way through all of the local courses. Thus far, this has the most eye appeal and is best for a casual round with the wife and/or kids. If you want more of a challenge, consider Robbins Park, which is still new and evolving but much more difficult in my opinion.

Date: 8/17/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Sorry!!! They repaved the walkway on 15 and my Tee Marks are gone. I will repaint them. ASAP -Mark

Compact but a great starter course

1    7/4/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Course is a beginner to intermediate level course set in the middle of a multi use park. Great course to learn how to play.

Baskets - 20 grippy discatchers that were highly visible. Course also had practice basket with markers surrounding each hole.

Tees - Each hole had a grippy concrete tee. 1-3 had large concrete tees. 15's tee was on an asphalt walking trail. 3-14 and 16-18 had shorter concrete tees that had a little extra space built in to the back to allow run ups.

Signs - Each hole listed distance, par, hole number, and had an arrow that resembled the required throw for the hole. Billboard at start of course with some info on the sport. Several next hole signs between each hole.

Variety - Although the holes here are all on the shorter side, no two holes were alike. Course had a few open holes, but the rest were either uphill and wooded or downhill and wooded. Very technical course that would benefit any beginner to intermediate level player. 1-4 and 18 were the only flat holes here.

Hole 9 stood out. Fairway goes under a tower holding power lines and was downhill. Try not to overshoot towards the right because there is a pond.

Park had trash cans and benches near each hole.

Course is a confidence booster for any advanced player.

Family friendly - Saw several kids playing with parents as well as teenagers.

Ace run for more experiences players.

Easy to navigate.
Cons: Although a pro, this course is an ace run. Would be too easy for most intermediate or pro level players.

Not sure why there were a few long tees and a several shorter ones. Make them all the same length (long) so that there is unity in the course.

Course could use alternate tees that are either more challenging or same distance. It would allow more playability.

Course can get very busy. Be prepared to wait on a few holes.

Poison ivy throughout the wooded holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to have in any community. Although it was on the shorter side, it was technical. Would be a great starter course for anybody. It is not intimidating at all.

Would recommend this to any beginner or intermediate level player in the area or traveling through. Would definitely be too easy for a pro player. Each hole has an opportunity for an ace. I really enjoyed it and my fiance played every hole with me. She had a great time.

1    6/8/2014   3/8/2015
Review By: johngarcia79
Pros: This is easy to follow and has some nice technical holes. It has a practice basket and the OB isn't too thick for the most part. It can be played in a short time and the rest of the park is nice for the rest of the family. It also has nice manicured look to the whole place being a county park.
Cons: It is relatively short. and there are a couple holes that could have a better layout.
Other Thoughts: I will play it again when I'm in the area.

Short, fun, crowded layout

5+    2/8/2015   2/8/2015
Review By: Notverygood
This review was updated on 9/21/2015
Pros: -Fun, short holes
-Although short, the holes often required thought and shot placement
-Good mix of wooded, and open holes
-In an active park with activities for the rest of the family
Cons: -In an active park with plenty of activities for plenty of other people to get in the way
-Crowded course layout with many tee boxes close to the previous basket. An errant shot could easily land in the fairway or tee area of the next hole
-Did I mention crowded? Between the golfers, kids playing and other park goers, tennis players, walkers and hikers it can get pretty busy. Not the course designers fault, but unfortunately still a con
-Older/missing tee signs
Other Thoughts: This course being designed for Juniors, and beginners is spot on. The shorter hole lengths make it easy on newer players, but the challenging pin placements keep it from being too easy. Even a seasoned player will still have to think about what and where to throw here

I did enjoy playing the course as it's a fun alternative to the longer typical courses, and can easily be played with a Mid and Putter, with maybe one longer fairway disc. Maybe..

The course layout being so close together in some places meant there were several tee pads close to the previous pin, which I'm not a big fan of, and one of the reasons my rating for the course fell. ******UPDATE***** There have been some changes to the tee box on I believe hole 10-11 area that was one of the biggest hazards. BIG improvement here!

Fun course, but don't come expecting a championship level, long bomb course. As long as you know what you're getting, I think this is a great example of a short course. Perfect for introducing a new player to the sport, practicing your mid range and putter game, or Glo golf. I love this course for what it is.

Worth a try!

Best short course around

5+    1/17/2015   1/17/2015
Review By: DougT21
Pros: You have to take this course for what it is.. a short course meant for beginners/intermediate players. So "not long enough cant be a con".

Course is well designed and has great ratio of woods to opens... and right to left shots.

So taking that in to effect this is def the best short course i have ever had the pleasure of playing.
Cons: Too many briars! Some areas get extremely muddy after rain.
Other Thoughts: Cant get much better for a short course.

Great starter course

1    1/11/2015   1/13/2015
Review By: Pbmercil
Pros: I only had time for 1 quick round while I was blowing through the Charlotte area. I picked BRP specifically because I knew it wouldn't take me long to play and I could get back on the road quickly. Only in the Charlotte area can a small, short course like this be so well executed. Its really a big testament to the amount of dedication and talent in the local disc golf community that even a small course like this can be so well executed and maintained.

This is probably the best short, pitch and putt style course I've ever played.

Navigation was a piece of cake. Next tee arrows were obvious, no transitions were hard to identify playing my first time with no map.

Tee signs were fine. The holes play so short that its not exactly hard to tell where you're supposed to be going

Course was obviously well kept. Fairways were clearly mowed to assist in identifying the line of play on every hole, which is a nice touch.

A variety of different lines were available on most holes, and this course worked all the angles possible. I always prefer courses where you can't throw a righty hyzer every time. Really quality hole designs considering the amount of space and the target audience (beginners)
Cons: I didn't really feel like any holes stood out as spectacular to me. My favorite courses all have a really beautiful, signature hole, and I didn't see one here. The most memorable hole was probably the down hill under the powerlines, but that is more of a gimmick then a signature.

A couple of the teepads were undersized. I didn't really care because on a course this short you really shouldn't be using a full run up, but it was noticeable.

Due to the ease of play I would expect this course to be pretty packed during peak season and hours. The day I played it was busy but fine, I'm sure its a different story other times of the year though.

Lack of difficulty is a con for me. I know as an advanced player I'm not the target audience for this course and that's fine, but it is really easy. Though I would certainly recommend any younger or newer players start at BRP I probably won't go out of my way to play it again. Any course I don't feel compelled to play again will not get a high rating by me.
Other Thoughts: This really is a great course to get people started in the sport. Beginners will have some different lines to work on without feeling like they're getting killed trying to figure out how to throw a disc. More advanced players can take all the drivers out of the bag and focus on short game and ace runs. What's not to like about 18 aceable holes?

All that being said, I just can't rate such a short and easy course highly. Don't get me wrong, I think having well executed easy courses is a great thing for our sport, but those courses are never going to be reviewed 3 or more discs by me. Its a big testament to the work that went into this course that I'm giving it 2.5 (and I was strongly tempted to go to 3) for as short and easy as it is. It really is a well done course, but you can only do so much with what you have.

Date: 1/14/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the compliments. Perhaps you can give it that 3 rating because of the 2 additional holes soon to be 3! Its actually a 20 hole course (I hope that you played them) and #21 is cut and dragged! I designed the course for the juniors and grand masters+ divisions for it had to be that skill level appropriate.

B.R.P (Beginners Ready to Play)

5+    4/1/2013   11/10/2013
Review By: Bergman Bomber
Pros: I absolutely love Baileys Road Park. It is more of a open, "parky" course, but has a good variety of wooded holes. Not a lot of elevation changes and most pins are around 200 feet so it makes for a fun Ace Drive on almost every hole. And with that being said it makes for the perfect place to bring a new disc golfer and introduce them to the sport, without making the experienced player bored. It is a great course to test new throw's and new disc's with many of the fairways being open and not left or right hand dominant. Baileys is also perfect for getting a full game in after work or in the late afternoon, or wrap up a long day of disc golf in the Charlotte area. And when it comes to the non-private courses in the area this is the most well maintained course. It seems like they mow the grass everyday and the wooded fairways are always clear. There are also a couple very unique holes. Hole 9 under the power lines is one of my favorites and 18 the pin between 2 trees. And to top it all off the views you can get from Baileys Road Park in the evening, when the sun is starting to set is absolutely amazing.
Cons: What I think turns a lot of disc golfer way Baileys is how easy it is. It is one of the easier courses in the area but that can make for a great confidence booster when any disc golfer needs that. The course is easy to navigate but be careful around hole 11, its a hard right hand dogs leg that can catch you off guard if its your first time. The roughage here is, well, really rough. I myself have lost a couple disc here just by turning them over into the thick, sharp foliage, so be careful. The actual full 20 holes is 2 holes that are commonly skipped, marked 13 A and B, which I don't know why there are not labeled 14, 15 ect. But when its all set and done its not a Con to have low score right?
Other Thoughts: Overall Baileys is a very fun course. Weather its your first time or you're a 10 year veteran, it's a quick and fun 20 holes. A quick shout out to Russell Schwarz and Mark Huether for the great upkeep of this awesome course on this awesome family-friendly park. If you got a first timer on your hand's be sure to take them to Baileys and spread the love of disc golf.

Date: 11/21/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Pet Pieve - Bailey not Baileys

Thanks for the review. 14 and 15 were not labeled that way because we couldnt have a 20 hole layout for Worlds and we wanted the baskets to be labeled in order. Just wait for 13A,B &C! and 15 A and 15 B! ...once I get this Robbins Park course done.

Great place to learn

5+    11/1/2013   11/7/2013
Review By: JrodMan
Pros: Bailey Road Park is a lot of fun! Its not very challenging for the more advanced player but lots of fun! None of the holes are over 300 feet so its easy to get a good score there. I got my first ACE here and I have only been playing for less than a year! This course is really easy to navigate with the tee boxes being close to each other. Also want to add that BRP is very well maintained course!
Cons: Not many complaints with this course. Only that the tee boxes could be a little bit bigger on 17 and 18.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is alot of fun for everybody! Its worth the time to go play!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5