Larkspur, CO
Jellystone Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Fishy Hole #11 (Taken 6/2011)

Nice rugged course

1    6/20/2015   7/6/2015
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: This is a course that has a good mix of open and wooded holes to make for challenging shots. It uses the present elevation very well. Both L and R dog leg shots are accounted for as well as short, moderate, and long holes too.
The tee pads are plenty long allowing for a proper run up.
The view of the mountains in the foreground are spectacular as well as the terrain and scenery on the course itself.
Signage was adequate and there were some benches throughout the course.
Multiple pins on most holes keep things from getting stale and the risk reward on many holes was fun.
There were a few holes where you could air out a drive as well.
Obviously being located at a campground complex there are other amenities here for your enjoyment such as swimming, archery, horseback riding, etc.
A few of my favorite holes were 6,8, 10, and 18.
Cons: $10 is a bit of a steep price in my opinion for a round based on the conditions that I encountered. The grass and weeds were getting past a mowing upon my visit. I don't mind paying to play disc golf and the price is reasonable if it is going for course maintenance. I hope that I just caught it at the wrong time and they keep this course up for other disc golfers. Obvisously when the grounds are in need of a mowing then you will spend some time looking for your disc even if it is in the fairway. This might be avoided if you have a spotter.
Navigation is a bit tricky in spots even with the map as others have mentioned. Some scouting ahead to see what position the basket is in might be necessary for the first time player.
Directional arrows or painted rungs would really help with this issue IMO.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a solid course that is worth the play if you are in the area or traveling between Denver and Colorado Springs. The shot variety is great here and the golfing is fun. I enjoyed the golf shots here and the challenge of the course itself. With a few minor improvements it would really make this course seem like a good value for the buck. If you can play with a group IMO it would be a easier to help each other out in the areas where finding a disc could be troublesome but it can be played solo.
Play for yourself if you are in the area. I think you will enjoy the shot variety on this course.

Jellystone - A fun course with lots of potential

1    3/15/2015   3/18/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course is located at the Jellystone RV camp area, which has a small store and restrooms. The camp ground area has a pool and other activities as well.
- Some of the holes are very unique, allowing for shots you might not normally use.
- The course is challenging but doesn't require a 400ft drive.
- The tee pads are concrete and in excellent shape.
- The course was clean and has trash cans and benches throughout.
- The staff at the store were friendly, although they're not disc golfers.
Cons: - The $10 course fees might deter some people but I realize it costs money to keep a course in good shape.
- The course map I was given wasn't very accurate and I had troubles finding some of the tee boxes.
- Many of the baskets are hidden and difficult to find. Perhaps some bright colored paint or flags would help out here.
Other Thoughts: I think this course has a ton of potential and I'm glad I got the chance to play here. They just need to fix a few minor issues and this could be a really fun course. I thought the layout was good and made for an interesting course. Unfortunately, I spent a good chunk of the morning trying to find the next tee box or walking the fairways looking for baskets.

I would love to go back some day with a group of friends and spend the weekend camping and playing disc golf here. I think the idea of having a disc golf course at an RV/camping area is great and might introduce the sport to more families.

Very Nice P2P

2-4    4/9/2014   4/9/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: It is great to see a private RV Park embrace a high-quality pay-to-play course. They had an interesting piece of land to work with and utilized it well.

Vegetation is a mix of taller pines and short oaks. The oaks grow in dense thickets that define many of the fairways, and if you miss on your drive you will find yourself in thick, thick rough. It isn't tall, but you won't have any room to maneuver, run-up or even use a normal throwing motion.

All teepads are now concrete. Maps and tee signs show two pin positions for each hole, but the course manager told me that they're adding a third position at all holes.

Tee signs were useful, even though they are temporary (according to the manager). They give the hole info, distances to each tee, and a good diagram of trees/vegetation.

Good use of the available elevation. Many holes have a significant element of driving up or down to the pin which adds interest and challenge to those holes.

Hole 6 (long pin) is a great hole, as the basket sits out on a raised island. Missing left, right, or long results in a rollaway or your disc sitting way down below the basket. Great risk/reward opportunity.

Cons: There were several holes that I had to walk forward to see which of the positions the basket was in. Not really a big con as I like to get an eye on the basket anyway. It looks like they have concrete pavers that are supposed to indicate "A" or "B" but most were too faded to read.

Holes 16, 17, and 18 are open throws through a grass field, and are not as interesting as the previous holes. I understand that there are alternates for 16 & 17 that are utilized when the large field is turned into a "Pumpkin Patch" in September & October. I'd would have liked to see those holes.

Navigation was a little confusing in a couple of spot. Bring a map your first time. A "next hole" arrow or indication would be appreciated by first-timers.
Other Thoughts: The $5 fee (or $50 annual pass) seems more than fair to me. This private business has invested a lot of money in baskets, concrete, stairs, signs, etc. (not to mention time) and they've created a very nice course. Compared to the overcrowded park courses in Colorado Springs this one is a gift.

best course in metro denver

5+    11/24/2013   11/27/2013
Review By: roryconrad
Pros: -Variety of shots
-Good Use of Elevation
-Good Line Dictation
-Good Flow to through the course
Cons: -Not all pads are concrete (most are)
-navigation can be confusing, however once u play it a few times it has a good flow
-pay to play- this is only a con bc the $ doesnt go back in2 the course but to the camp ground
Other Thoughts: This is your answer for the Greater Denver Metro Area Courses. I am from Michigan, and was spoiled with quality courses-denver has some of the poorest metro courses. Expo, Paco Sanchez, Lighthouse, and Badlands are all extremely forgive-able courses with little to no line dictation (i understand badlands has blairwitch, which has no pads and a shotty lay out for half the of nine). Jellystone is the cure for ur metro denver DG blues w/out hitting the mts- Jellystone offers variety of shots, elevation, ace runs, and line dictation. Since the last post, the redundant last three holes have been changed, adding to the quality. Colorado Heights University course rivals the quality with 27 holes, but misses the mark on the back 18-27 or so bc of the lack of everything stated that Jellystone has to offer (after the "green mile hole," there are so many wide open shots with so many out of bounds u certainly loose the feel that ur on a legit course cuz its on a shotty college campus with streets and run down building coming into play). The designer of Jellystone is a great guy, and is really trying to get the Denver area to the next level in DG- The mile-high-flyers dg club has been here for decades and have only developed casual to amature courses- the group at green fly, and pauly in the mountains are evolving the sport in the area from casual to actual intermediate to advance with a new course set to be put in at Alameda and Buckley sometime in 2014 and pauly just added concrete pads to conifer. On weekends dont waste ur time playing the casual metro courses unless thats ur skill level; if ur a "gamer," hit Jellystone or the Mountains to get ur fix- ALL the metro courses CHU included, leave much to be desired

Jellystone - Larkspur

5+    12/2/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: Hoosier Al
Pros: Nice Course with plenty of technical throws for the intermediate player. Great landscape and lots of fun. Worth the Drive.
Cons: Trees can snag discs pretty easily and there are lots of them.
Other Thoughts: Concrete pads on most holes. Not too crowded most of the time. At $5 for all you can throw, it is well worth the drive.

Unique piece of property with an extremely fun course to play

1    9/15/2011   9/20/2012
Review By: superberry
Pros: What a surprisingly fun course! I was truly glad I made my way down to play this one. Extremely unique terrain that was utilized to the max for some creative, fun, and risky holes. Multiple pin placements added to the variety and showcased more of the unique terrain. There were a number of memorable holes here, not necessarily awe-inspiring, but truly neat holes that were a blast to play. Hole 3 plays up toward a pin perched in a South Dakota Badlands style butte. Holes 2, 4, 6, 8 were all neat downhill throws that required some distance, but more touch and accuracy. Hole 6 had a great risky green perched on the edge of a dropoff after throwing a downhill touch shot. Hole 8 was a neat downhill halfpipe style hole. Hole 7 is a neat ridge to ridge toss across a pine tree valley, real tight lines and unique terrain. Once the brush grows up on Hole 9 it will become an even better multiple route hole. Hole 10 also has a good center brush island divider. Hole 13 was a nice fun wooded ace run hole. Hole 14 is a type of hole that I consider beautiful and picturesque to disc golf. It offers a few options off the tee, throws across a gentle rolling and wooded area of larger trees, offers moderate distance, and allows you to sail out a drive toward a pin perched on a small ridge. Many of the tees were blind pin placements (1,5,6,7,8,9,10). This entire area was on a ridgeline line with washout valleys and introduced the need for a lot of accuracy and finesse, blind pins made it even better. "Next Tee" arrows were present by almost all greens. Great views were present on a number of holes.
Cons: Huge con for a course at a campground full of beginners is that there is only one tee. Newcomers would be turned off by the need for such finesse and accuracy here. There appeared to be some gravel short tees in some places, but I wasn't sure and they were not marked by any means. Maybe they were drop zones. There were no tee signs when I played either, navigation for someone unfamiliar with disc golf would be tough. Poison ivy/oak was present in numerous areas, be aware and be prepared to wash and quarantine your clothes. The distance listed on the scorecard was pretty hard to read. You will not "lose yourself" in a peaceful round of solitude here. The road noise from the interstate is horrible! Too many throwaway holes across the open area (holes 12 and 16-18). 16-18 give some variety and let you bomb some long throws, but three in a row is too much, especially without obstacles or defining traits to the hole. I thought the neat woods around 13 and 14 could have been much better utilized (especially considering how beautiful #14 is).
Other Thoughts: On the way from Denver area you can hit up a microbrewpub right off the freeway. For a campground course, which are typically haphazardly thrown together by non-disc golfers for the enjoyment of RVers, this course was designed and finished by a true disc golfer. The property has some extremely unique features and disc golf shines on this property. For being sandwiched against the interstate, the variety here is great, all but the water hazards are present (I know, front range doesn't have water). If it weren't for a large number of unimaginative throwaway holes (12 & 16-18), this course would be a 4.0 in my book, but for now it doesn't live up to matching other 4.0 rated courses I've played. The fun factor due to the unique terrain was much higher than the other 3.5 rated courses I've played though! I liked playing it a lot though and was very glad I did make time for it out of my business trip. The area is chock full of private courses too, great ones! Make yourself a friend and get an invite!

Fun course!

1    8/10/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: larryp40
Pros: First time played...worth the $5 fee. Course kept up nicely, multiple pin placements and good variety of terrain. They seem to have made some improvements from when earlier reviewers have played...some low branches on pines cut for cleaner shots on basket.
Cons: The course is open to 'campers' and there are some 'newbies' which might hold up play. A couple of places to jump holes though.
Other Thoughts: Worth the $ and short drive down from Denver. Every course can't be free and with a minimart, port-a-lets, clean course and disc's available at the main lodge, it makes it worth the cash.

Very good course

1    7/26/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: Rockiesfan4ever
Pros: This is a very technical course (at least for me) and caused me to pay if I made some bad shots (which I did). Lots of good hole placements with signs and hole markings up to date (which I loved!).
Cons: There is a $5 fee to enter the park which sucks but I think it is worth it for the disc golf experience. It becomes more open at the end which is probably a good thing after you battle your way through the trees, but there could be a little bit more technicality needed on the back 5 or so holes.
Other Thoughts: It is somewhat of a hike so bring some water. I think it's a course that needs to be played if you are in the CO Springs area.

hmmmm...

1    7/28/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: AndyJB
This review was updated on 9/5/2012
Pros: ---Good signs, full color and easy to follow
---Small but firm teepads that are set at a good angle
---Interesting level of challenge based on Terrain and environment
---Good baskets
Cons: ---Blind drives all over the front 9
---Paid 5 dollars to play a course littered with garbage and broken glass
---Tree eating shrubbery! (That might be my fault though LOL)
Other Thoughts: I don't really know what to say about this course except for : waaaaaaayyyyy overrated. Its a decent course, but for a pay to play (5 bucks per person including my 7 year old daughter) course with glowing reviews I was expecting a lot more. I may still play their tourney series, but I don't think Ill be playing here again for fun. There is much better pay to play courses nearby.

Another note is the Fly Green "pro shop". Online and on shay they have an awesome selection but all they have at the supposed "pro shop" on site only has a few DXs...and not even the good molds. Hopefully this improves eventually.

BOTTOM LINE: interesting course with a few problems. Overhyped but still fun...just not something I would pay for a lot (they do offer yearly passes if you like the course.) I would say its good for non-traditional tourney play and would be awesome if you were passing through and were staying at Jellystone.

If I seem like I'm being harsh, well, I am. Colorado has tons of free courses that are just as good and better than this. If you're going to pay, head north.

***UPDATE SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2012!***
After Fishy and the guys from Fly Green invited me back to play a couple times with them, I can say that I have definetly changed my opinion of Jellystone. While I do still thing the price is a bit steep, they have made some VAST improvements since I first played this course. Teepads are all in with the exception of one, and in great shape. The Jellystone staff has taken a MUCH more active role in keeping the course clean and free of ne'er-do-well campers who made for such a horrible experience last time.

Also, they have stopped charging non-players, which is great because I never go anywhere without my wife and daughter even if they don't feel like throwing.

The biggest take-away for me about Jellystone is that they and the Fly Green crew read my review and implemented changes that myself and others had mentioned, turning Jellystone into a fantastic course. Thanks SO MUCH to everyone involved, and I can now confidenetly say I am VERY excited to play the winter tournament series here!

Hey, Hey, Hey, It Started So Well!

1    7/8/2012   7/10/2012
This review was updated on 7/29/2012
Pros: I tried to think of all the Yogi Bear references I could use in my review but in the end I just stuck to the picnic baskets and the facts. The course sits just off the freeway between Denver and Colorado Springs. It's a private campground, hence the Yogi Bear and Jellystone references. The courses starts off like gangbusters with awesome terrrain and a couple of difficult throws and one of my all time favorite disc golf holes. I'll get to it. The signs are Jellystone specific showing the distance, trees, A & B positions, etc. The A & B positions are designated by building blocks on the ground with A painted on one side and B on the other. Whichever side is flipped up is where you're throwing too. Since this is a private course, there is virtually no grafitti and no-one's flipping the markers. The teepads are concrete and are different sized depending on the run-up needed. Good idea and a cost saver. The terrain was rolling hills and wooded making for some great disc golfing. The pars were not for the faint of heart like # 3, a PAR 3, 401' with the basket part way up a hill. That's a tough PAR for me.

# 6 is one of my all time favorite holes. It's 287' slightly downhill. The entire left side is an open canyon. The basket is perched on a little plateau with steep drop offs all around and some trees guarding right and center. You need just the right anhyser touch to drop your tee shot onto the plateau without it dropping off into the abyss.
Cons: The front nine was great. I was all excited to give this course a 4.0 rating but then I played the back nine and was less than impressed. I wouldn't call the last 4-5 holes filler holes but I would probably say they were wide, open and unimaginitive.
# 16 was another tough PAR 3 with 470' slightly uphill all the way to a basket inside the teepee stakes (and into a strong wind the afternoon I played).

$5 to play and they charged my wife $5 to walk along and she ended up sitting in the car reading.
Other Thoughts: For my $5, I was going to wander over into the campers and make off with a few picnic baskets. Oh yeah, I promised no more Yogiisms. How about this one," When you come to the fork in the road, take it." Oh sorry, wrong Yogi. With my regrets to Yogi Bear and Yogi Berra both, stop and play Jellystone DGC, "You'll Have A Gay Old Time!"