Larkspur, CO
Jellystone Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Fishy Hole #2 (Taken 6/2011)

Unique piece of property with an extremely fun course to play

1    9/15/2011   9/20/2012
Review By: superberry
Pros: What a surprisingly fun course! I was truly glad I made my way down to play this one. Extremely unique terrain that was utilized to the max for some creative, fun, and risky holes. Multiple pin placements added to the variety and showcased more of the unique terrain. There were a number of memorable holes here, not necessarily awe-inspiring, but truly neat holes that were a blast to play. Hole 3 plays up toward a pin perched in a South Dakota Badlands style butte. Holes 2, 4, 6, 8 were all neat downhill throws that required some distance, but more touch and accuracy. Hole 6 had a great risky green perched on the edge of a dropoff after throwing a downhill touch shot. Hole 8 was a neat downhill halfpipe style hole. Hole 7 is a neat ridge to ridge toss across a pine tree valley, real tight lines and unique terrain. Once the brush grows up on Hole 9 it will become an even better multiple route hole. Hole 10 also has a good center brush island divider. Hole 13 was a nice fun wooded ace run hole. Hole 14 is a type of hole that I consider beautiful and picturesque to disc golf. It offers a few options off the tee, throws across a gentle rolling and wooded area of larger trees, offers moderate distance, and allows you to sail out a drive toward a pin perched on a small ridge. Many of the tees were blind pin placements (1,5,6,7,8,9,10). This entire area was on a ridgeline line with washout valleys and introduced the need for a lot of accuracy and finesse, blind pins made it even better. "Next Tee" arrows were present by almost all greens. Great views were present on a number of holes.
Cons: Huge con for a course at a campground full of beginners is that there is only one tee. Newcomers would be turned off by the need for such finesse and accuracy here. There appeared to be some gravel short tees in some places, but I wasn't sure and they were not marked by any means. Maybe they were drop zones. There were no tee signs when I played either, navigation for someone unfamiliar with disc golf would be tough. Poison ivy/oak was present in numerous areas, be aware and be prepared to wash and quarantine your clothes. The distance listed on the scorecard was pretty hard to read. You will not "lose yourself" in a peaceful round of solitude here. The road noise from the interstate is horrible! Too many throwaway holes across the open area (holes 12 and 16-18). 16-18 give some variety and let you bomb some long throws, but three in a row is too much, especially without obstacles or defining traits to the hole. I thought the neat woods around 13 and 14 could have been much better utilized (especially considering how beautiful #14 is).
Other Thoughts: On the way from Denver area you can hit up a microbrewpub right off the freeway. For a campground course, which are typically haphazardly thrown together by non-disc golfers for the enjoyment of RVers, this course was designed and finished by a true disc golfer. The property has some extremely unique features and disc golf shines on this property. For being sandwiched against the interstate, the variety here is great, all but the water hazards are present (I know, front range doesn't have water). If it weren't for a large number of unimaginative throwaway holes (12 & 16-18), this course would be a 4.0 in my book, but for now it doesn't live up to matching other 4.0 rated courses I've played. The fun factor due to the unique terrain was much higher than the other 3.5 rated courses I've played though! I liked playing it a lot though and was very glad I did make time for it out of my business trip. The area is chock full of private courses too, great ones! Make yourself a friend and get an invite!

Absolutely Fantastic Course.

1    8/11/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: Shogun
Pros: Pulling off I-25 at exit 174 and heading into what seems to be a small camping area with RV's and tons of small children running around at 9 in the morning, I questioned the possibilities of a really wicked DGC here, but with a really awesome reference from Fly Green Discs, and the determination to play every course in CO (eventually) I figured why not right?

As soon as you pull into the Jellystone park area you park over to the right and head into the ranger station to take care of payment ($5). The older gentleman inside with the awesome sidekick dog that follows him everywhere was super friendly, taking our car information for tags that hang from your rear view mirror, getting out first time player waivers for us to sign, and getting our whole group strapped with a wristband saying we paid for our all day pass to the course. He then gives you a course map and score sheets and directs you to the parking area for the course.

Once you hop back into your car and head down the dirt road in front of the ranger station, you will follow the road to the end, passing RV parking, a dog run area, and making a slight right with an immediate left into the course lot. At first you cant spot the courses first pad, but you will see hole 18's basket, letting you know that your headed in the right direction. As you work up the dirt road headed to the left of the lot, it will wrap up and around a bend to the left dropping you at the first tee pad. You will know your in the right place because of the table next to the pad. Now get ready for some fun!!

All the holes are marked with really nicely made signs presented by Fly Green Discs. Each hole has a cinder block next to the sign with an "A" or "B" facing up. The entire course (every hole) has an a or b pin location; the blocks will tell you which direction your headed. From what I remember, almost all the holes have concrete tee pads. I think only hole 8 was actually still in dirt. As you start out, hole 1 through about hole 7, you are shooting across some nice open areas with large trees here and there for obstacles. The walk through the holes up to 7 is an easy slight uphill, and slight downhill crisscross that provides a great view of the surrounding area and allows for smooth drives into open areas; I would consider these first holes awesome warm up holes for what you're headed into once you catch hole 8 to about hole 14. As you get back into 8 to 14 you will see the trees closing in and reaching out for your discs as you throw. The views and drops to the pins from these tee boxes are awesome. 8 and 11 are by far worthy of a few discs from the drive. I personally wanted to empty my bag at 11. It was a truly awesome throw from up on a hill edge down toward the open plains.

NOTE: Once you wrap around hole 12 you will see some bathrooms off to the right. Its always good to have a place to take a quick stop!

As you move on through the course to 14, you will find a great little spot at the pad back in the trees for a break. There is plenty of shade, and with a cool breeze, it makes for a great spot to just relax before you hit the last few holes which are back out on the plains in the open sun. Once you finish up at 14 and head around through 15 to 16 you will find a sweet hole with the basket situated inside a TP. Keep in mind these back holes are really long, so save a little of your arm for the power to finish off your round strong. Once you reach 18 you will see that the pin wraps right back around and drops you at your car. TADA!!
Cons: Honestly I couldn't think of a single con beyond ppl flipping over the cinder blocks and leaving us shooting at the wrong pin location. It wouldn't make too much difference except that there are quite a few blind throws that you may have to walk up the fairway for to determine if the location listed is in fact the correct pin location for the basket.
Other Thoughts: Awesome course. Am looking forward to heading out to this one again in the near future. For more pics, I have an album on my profile called "Jellystone DGC." Feel free to take a look to get a good idea of each hole, I have them all.

On a side note: This course works great between Colorado Springs and Denver to get groups together from both cities because it is literally half way between the two. I had friends come up from CoS and meet us there. I'm sure it will become a normal thing for us now!

Much thanks to Fly Green Discs for all the work on this course. Its well worth the $5.

Great All-Around

1    8/9/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: shawnspraguer
Pros: Well kept, LEVEL concrete tee boxes. So much of shot mechanics off the tee requires good footing. Glad they took the time and money to invest in this crucial aspect.

Great variety of shots. There's uphill holes, downhill holes, a good mix of tight technical stuff in the woods and huge grip 'n rip holes.

The holes have good signs with distance and pin placement. I actually had to think about my shots and plan a bit. Most holes have good sign placement to direct you to the next tee. Also the course map is very helpful.

Very friendly staff.

No water! :D

Well kept ground in general. There's not an over abundance of overgrown shrubs and grass which are irritating. Not a lot of places to lose discs.
Cons: $5/round or $50/season pass. Although the price is a bit up there, it's really a great course and well worth the money.

Was a bit confusing the first time out where to find the parking for disc golf, as it isn't marked.
Other Thoughts: If the location is right for you (for me it's 15 mins on the highway) it's a great place for regular play. They also have tourneys every month. I would recommend this course for players of all levels, as it is challenging but not likely going to cost you any discs. This will likely be my main course once I get a pass.

Fun course!

1    8/10/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: larryp40
Pros: First time played...worth the $5 fee. Course kept up nicely, multiple pin placements and good variety of terrain. They seem to have made some improvements from when earlier reviewers have played...some low branches on pines cut for cleaner shots on basket.
Cons: The course is open to 'campers' and there are some 'newbies' which might hold up play. A couple of places to jump holes though.
Other Thoughts: Worth the $ and short drive down from Denver. Every course can't be free and with a minimart, port-a-lets, clean course and disc's available at the main lodge, it makes it worth the cash.

Worth the Drive

5+    7/30/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: cridenou
Pros: new concrete teepads
lots of level change
lots of different shots
you will use almost every disc in your bag
short and long holes
never crowded
pins change often and always marked appropriately
dog friendly
beer friendly (at least i think so)
not very windy like most CO courses
maps are available
lots of wildlife and sometimes goats being herded

BLIND DRIVES are awesome
(if you don't like blind drives you suck)
if you have to go walk ahead to see where the basket is your first time playing that is ok. you will know for next time. blind drives are a sign of good course design in my opinion.
Cons: teepads need to be back filled so you can run up to them and not just start hanging off the back
it is a bit of a drive from anywhere
5$ to play per person
last 3 holes are wide open
easy to lose discs in the scrub oak
could use some steps on some holes
it would be nice to have a bathroom somewhere close
Other Thoughts: i love this place. more courses should be like this one. i have shot 8 down here but i have also shot 8 up here in the same week. that is the sign of a good course. only DX crap in the "Pro Shop." Flygreen is working on trying to get them to carry something useful in there.

Mountain course in the city

5+    8/4/2012   8/5/2012
Review By: diskdunn1
Pros: What a course. Concrete tee boxes, great signage, a new Pro shop, and monthly tournaments. This course gives you everything in one course. Trees' cliffs, canyons, caves, long bombers, Up hill throws, down hill throws, blind shots and the Bears Den. It now has water on hole 1. With 2 pin placements and moving and weekly maintenance, Jellystone is quickly becoming one of the top 2-3 courses in the State. The hike alone is just amazing. I have seen deer, elk, fox, coyote, wild turkeys, and yes even a bear. Walking across fairway 15. There are rumors the boys at Fly Green Disc Golf are working on a back 9 to 18 holes. With over 75 acres of incrible one of a kind land, This may become on of America's Finest Disc golf Courses.
Cons: Boy after such amazing rounds its tough to find many flaws. There is scrub oak growing all over making some risk/ rewards shots where the disc may just disappear. The course does require you wear a wristband and check in for each visit at the rangers station. But anything else would just be fussing considering the course is only 14 months old.
Other Thoughts: I can't wait to see what another year brings. My Favorite course in CO.

Very good course

1    7/26/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: Rockiesfan4ever
Pros: This is a very technical course (at least for me) and caused me to pay if I made some bad shots (which I did). Lots of good hole placements with signs and hole markings up to date (which I loved!).
Cons: There is a $5 fee to enter the park which sucks but I think it is worth it for the disc golf experience. It becomes more open at the end which is probably a good thing after you battle your way through the trees, but there could be a little bit more technicality needed on the back 5 or so holes.
Other Thoughts: It is somewhat of a hike so bring some water. I think it's a course that needs to be played if you are in the CO Springs area.

hmmmm...

1    7/28/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: AndyJB
This review was updated on 9/5/2012
Pros: ---Good signs, full color and easy to follow
---Small but firm teepads that are set at a good angle
---Interesting level of challenge based on Terrain and environment
---Good baskets
Cons: ---Blind drives all over the front 9
---Paid 5 dollars to play a course littered with garbage and broken glass
---Tree eating shrubbery! (That might be my fault though LOL)
Other Thoughts: I don't really know what to say about this course except for : waaaaaaayyyyy overrated. Its a decent course, but for a pay to play (5 bucks per person including my 7 year old daughter) course with glowing reviews I was expecting a lot more. I may still play their tourney series, but I don't think Ill be playing here again for fun. There is much better pay to play courses nearby.

Another note is the Fly Green "pro shop". Online and on shay they have an awesome selection but all they have at the supposed "pro shop" on site only has a few DXs...and not even the good molds. Hopefully this improves eventually.

BOTTOM LINE: interesting course with a few problems. Overhyped but still fun...just not something I would pay for a lot (they do offer yearly passes if you like the course.) I would say its good for non-traditional tourney play and would be awesome if you were passing through and were staying at Jellystone.

If I seem like I'm being harsh, well, I am. Colorado has tons of free courses that are just as good and better than this. If you're going to pay, head north.

***UPDATE SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2012!***
After Fishy and the guys from Fly Green invited me back to play a couple times with them, I can say that I have definetly changed my opinion of Jellystone. While I do still thing the price is a bit steep, they have made some VAST improvements since I first played this course. Teepads are all in with the exception of one, and in great shape. The Jellystone staff has taken a MUCH more active role in keeping the course clean and free of ne'er-do-well campers who made for such a horrible experience last time.

Also, they have stopped charging non-players, which is great because I never go anywhere without my wife and daughter even if they don't feel like throwing.

The biggest take-away for me about Jellystone is that they and the Fly Green crew read my review and implemented changes that myself and others had mentioned, turning Jellystone into a fantastic course. Thanks SO MUCH to everyone involved, and I can now confidenetly say I am VERY excited to play the winter tournament series here!

Hot, but nice day to play

1    7/22/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: PHARP
Pros: This course seems to be well taken care of. Concrete tees are always a plus. Has a mixture of wooded and open holes. The open holes really allow you to open up your arm.
Cons: Several blind drives.
Other Thoughts: Growing up in TN, this is a nice change. The fact that I can play in 100 degree weather and not be miserable, and be in direct sunlight, is a huge plus. The front nine have a few blind drives, so you can't really tell where you are throwing at all times. Gladly, I met a couple of locals that helped me navigate and tell me where the pins were. Overall, I had a great time here and will come back.

Hey, Hey, Hey, It Started So Well!

1    7/8/2012   7/10/2012
This review was updated on 7/29/2012
Pros: I tried to think of all the Yogi Bear references I could use in my review but in the end I just stuck to the picnic baskets and the facts. The course sits just off the freeway between Denver and Colorado Springs. It's a private campground, hence the Yogi Bear and Jellystone references. The courses starts off like gangbusters with awesome terrrain and a couple of difficult throws and one of my all time favorite disc golf holes. I'll get to it. The signs are Jellystone specific showing the distance, trees, A & B positions, etc. The A & B positions are designated by building blocks on the ground with A painted on one side and B on the other. Whichever side is flipped up is where you're throwing too. Since this is a private course, there is virtually no grafitti and no-one's flipping the markers. The teepads are concrete and are different sized depending on the run-up needed. Good idea and a cost saver. The terrain was rolling hills and wooded making for some great disc golfing. The pars were not for the faint of heart like # 3, a PAR 3, 401' with the basket part way up a hill. That's a tough PAR for me.

# 6 is one of my all time favorite holes. It's 287' slightly downhill. The entire left side is an open canyon. The basket is perched on a little plateau with steep drop offs all around and some trees guarding right and center. You need just the right anhyser touch to drop your tee shot onto the plateau without it dropping off into the abyss.
Cons: The front nine was great. I was all excited to give this course a 4.0 rating but then I played the back nine and was less than impressed. I wouldn't call the last 4-5 holes filler holes but I would probably say they were wide, open and unimaginitive.
# 16 was another tough PAR 3 with 470' slightly uphill all the way to a basket inside the teepee stakes (and into a strong wind the afternoon I played).

$5 to play and they charged my wife $5 to walk along and she ended up sitting in the car reading.
Other Thoughts: For my $5, I was going to wander over into the campers and make off with a few picnic baskets. Oh yeah, I promised no more Yogiisms. How about this one," When you come to the fork in the road, take it." Oh sorry, wrong Yogi. With my regrets to Yogi Bear and Yogi Berra both, stop and play Jellystone DGC, "You'll Have A Gay Old Time!"