Larkspur, CO
Jellystone Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Fishy Hole #15 (Taken 6/2011)

Great All-Around

1    8/9/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: shawnspraguer
Pros: Well kept, LEVEL concrete tee boxes. So much of shot mechanics off the tee requires good footing. Glad they took the time and money to invest in this crucial aspect.

Great variety of shots. There's uphill holes, downhill holes, a good mix of tight technical stuff in the woods and huge grip 'n rip holes.

The holes have good signs with distance and pin placement. I actually had to think about my shots and plan a bit. Most holes have good sign placement to direct you to the next tee. Also the course map is very helpful.

Very friendly staff.

No water! :D

Well kept ground in general. There's not an over abundance of overgrown shrubs and grass which are irritating. Not a lot of places to lose discs.
Cons: $5/round or $50/season pass. Although the price is a bit up there, it's really a great course and well worth the money.

Was a bit confusing the first time out where to find the parking for disc golf, as it isn't marked.
Other Thoughts: If the location is right for you (for me it's 15 mins on the highway) it's a great place for regular play. They also have tourneys every month. I would recommend this course for players of all levels, as it is challenging but not likely going to cost you any discs. This will likely be my main course once I get a pass.

Fun course!

1    8/10/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: larryp40
Pros: First time played...worth the $5 fee. Course kept up nicely, multiple pin placements and good variety of terrain. They seem to have made some improvements from when earlier reviewers have played...some low branches on pines cut for cleaner shots on basket.
Cons: The course is open to 'campers' and there are some 'newbies' which might hold up play. A couple of places to jump holes though.
Other Thoughts: Worth the $ and short drive down from Denver. Every course can't be free and with a minimart, port-a-lets, clean course and disc's available at the main lodge, it makes it worth the cash.

Worth the Drive

5+    7/30/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: cridenou
Pros: new concrete teepads
lots of level change
lots of different shots
you will use almost every disc in your bag
short and long holes
never crowded
pins change often and always marked appropriately
dog friendly
beer friendly (at least i think so)
not very windy like most CO courses
maps are available
lots of wildlife and sometimes goats being herded

BLIND DRIVES are awesome
(if you don't like blind drives you suck)
if you have to go walk ahead to see where the basket is your first time playing that is ok. you will know for next time. blind drives are a sign of good course design in my opinion.
Cons: teepads need to be back filled so you can run up to them and not just start hanging off the back
it is a bit of a drive from anywhere
5$ to play per person
last 3 holes are wide open
easy to lose discs in the scrub oak
could use some steps on some holes
it would be nice to have a bathroom somewhere close
Other Thoughts: i love this place. more courses should be like this one. i have shot 8 down here but i have also shot 8 up here in the same week. that is the sign of a good course. only DX crap in the "Pro Shop." Flygreen is working on trying to get them to carry something useful in there.

Mountain course in the city

5+    8/4/2012   8/5/2012
Review By: diskdunn1
Pros: What a course. Concrete tee boxes, great signage, a new Pro shop, and monthly tournaments. This course gives you everything in one course. Trees' cliffs, canyons, caves, long bombers, Up hill throws, down hill throws, blind shots and the Bears Den. It now has water on hole 1. With 2 pin placements and moving and weekly maintenance, Jellystone is quickly becoming one of the top 2-3 courses in the State. The hike alone is just amazing. I have seen deer, elk, fox, coyote, wild turkeys, and yes even a bear. Walking across fairway 15. There are rumors the boys at Fly Green Disc Golf are working on a back 9 to 18 holes. With over 75 acres of incrible one of a kind land, This may become on of America's Finest Disc golf Courses.
Cons: Boy after such amazing rounds its tough to find many flaws. There is scrub oak growing all over making some risk/ rewards shots where the disc may just disappear. The course does require you wear a wristband and check in for each visit at the rangers station. But anything else would just be fussing considering the course is only 14 months old.
Other Thoughts: I can't wait to see what another year brings. My Favorite course in CO.

Very good course

1    7/26/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: Rockiesfan4ever
Pros: This is a very technical course (at least for me) and caused me to pay if I made some bad shots (which I did). Lots of good hole placements with signs and hole markings up to date (which I loved!).
Cons: There is a $5 fee to enter the park which sucks but I think it is worth it for the disc golf experience. It becomes more open at the end which is probably a good thing after you battle your way through the trees, but there could be a little bit more technicality needed on the back 5 or so holes.
Other Thoughts: It is somewhat of a hike so bring some water. I think it's a course that needs to be played if you are in the CO Springs area.

hmmmm...

1    7/28/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: AndyJB
This review was updated on 9/5/2012
Pros: ---Good signs, full color and easy to follow
---Small but firm teepads that are set at a good angle
---Interesting level of challenge based on Terrain and environment
---Good baskets
Cons: ---Blind drives all over the front 9
---Paid 5 dollars to play a course littered with garbage and broken glass
---Tree eating shrubbery! (That might be my fault though LOL)
Other Thoughts: I don't really know what to say about this course except for : waaaaaaayyyyy overrated. Its a decent course, but for a pay to play (5 bucks per person including my 7 year old daughter) course with glowing reviews I was expecting a lot more. I may still play their tourney series, but I don't think Ill be playing here again for fun. There is much better pay to play courses nearby.

Another note is the Fly Green "pro shop". Online and on shay they have an awesome selection but all they have at the supposed "pro shop" on site only has a few DXs...and not even the good molds. Hopefully this improves eventually.

BOTTOM LINE: interesting course with a few problems. Overhyped but still fun...just not something I would pay for a lot (they do offer yearly passes if you like the course.) I would say its good for non-traditional tourney play and would be awesome if you were passing through and were staying at Jellystone.

If I seem like I'm being harsh, well, I am. Colorado has tons of free courses that are just as good and better than this. If you're going to pay, head north.

***UPDATE SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2012!***
After Fishy and the guys from Fly Green invited me back to play a couple times with them, I can say that I have definetly changed my opinion of Jellystone. While I do still thing the price is a bit steep, they have made some VAST improvements since I first played this course. Teepads are all in with the exception of one, and in great shape. The Jellystone staff has taken a MUCH more active role in keeping the course clean and free of ne'er-do-well campers who made for such a horrible experience last time.

Also, they have stopped charging non-players, which is great because I never go anywhere without my wife and daughter even if they don't feel like throwing.

The biggest take-away for me about Jellystone is that they and the Fly Green crew read my review and implemented changes that myself and others had mentioned, turning Jellystone into a fantastic course. Thanks SO MUCH to everyone involved, and I can now confidenetly say I am VERY excited to play the winter tournament series here!

Hot, but nice day to play

1    7/22/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: PHARP
Pros: This course seems to be well taken care of. Concrete tees are always a plus. Has a mixture of wooded and open holes. The open holes really allow you to open up your arm.
Cons: Several blind drives.
Other Thoughts: Growing up in TN, this is a nice change. The fact that I can play in 100 degree weather and not be miserable, and be in direct sunlight, is a huge plus. The front nine have a few blind drives, so you can't really tell where you are throwing at all times. Gladly, I met a couple of locals that helped me navigate and tell me where the pins were. Overall, I had a great time here and will come back.

Hey, Hey, Hey, It Started So Well!

1    7/8/2012   7/10/2012
This review was updated on 7/29/2012
Pros: I tried to think of all the Yogi Bear references I could use in my review but in the end I just stuck to the picnic baskets and the facts. The course sits just off the freeway between Denver and Colorado Springs. It's a private campground, hence the Yogi Bear and Jellystone references. The courses starts off like gangbusters with awesome terrrain and a couple of difficult throws and one of my all time favorite disc golf holes. I'll get to it. The signs are Jellystone specific showing the distance, trees, A & B positions, etc. The A & B positions are designated by building blocks on the ground with A painted on one side and B on the other. Whichever side is flipped up is where you're throwing too. Since this is a private course, there is virtually no grafitti and no-one's flipping the markers. The teepads are concrete and are different sized depending on the run-up needed. Good idea and a cost saver. The terrain was rolling hills and wooded making for some great disc golfing. The pars were not for the faint of heart like # 3, a PAR 3, 401' with the basket part way up a hill. That's a tough PAR for me.

# 6 is one of my all time favorite holes. It's 287' slightly downhill. The entire left side is an open canyon. The basket is perched on a little plateau with steep drop offs all around and some trees guarding right and center. You need just the right anhyser touch to drop your tee shot onto the plateau without it dropping off into the abyss.
Cons: The front nine was great. I was all excited to give this course a 4.0 rating but then I played the back nine and was less than impressed. I wouldn't call the last 4-5 holes filler holes but I would probably say they were wide, open and unimaginitive.
# 16 was another tough PAR 3 with 470' slightly uphill all the way to a basket inside the teepee stakes (and into a strong wind the afternoon I played).

$5 to play and they charged my wife $5 to walk along and she ended up sitting in the car reading.
Other Thoughts: For my $5, I was going to wander over into the campers and make off with a few picnic baskets. Oh yeah, I promised no more Yogiisms. How about this one," When you come to the fork in the road, take it." Oh sorry, wrong Yogi. With my regrets to Yogi Bear and Yogi Berra both, stop and play Jellystone DGC, "You'll Have A Gay Old Time!"

5+    6/30/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: andylibrande
This review was updated on 9/26/2012
Pros: Playing this course for the first time was a lot of fun and a great course to add to the front range. Overall I thought the course had some great technical aspects forcing a number of different shots styles from the tee-pad and with the approach shots.

The terrain along with the scrub-oak added a lot to this course. We were constantly surprised by the course with hidden ravines, tricky pin placements, and hidden open spaces in the middle of the scrub-oak. We had minimal problems finding discs even with several erratic throws. Also most holes are secluded from each other and from the rest of Camp Jellystone making it a nice and private.

We played on a hot day and luckily at least several of the holes are in the shade. It can get really hot out if there is no cloud cover.

Even though the signage is currently limited and the directions between the tees is minimal, we only had to reference the map to find the teepads for #1, #9 and #10
Cons: A few of the holes the pin is hidden from the tee-pad and we had to spend a lot of time scoping the holes. This will obviously not need to happen the second time you play the course and once the permanent signage arrives.
Other Thoughts: The only thing I didn't like about the course was that a few holes were right next to I-25. Really not that big of a deal unless you are really use to playing Beaver Ranch all the time.

Cheap ice-cream sandwiches and COLD non-alcoholic beverages at the Ranger Station!!!

More developed in 2012 *Update

5+    5/10/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: RealityCheck
This review was updated on 5/11/2012
Pros: Concrete tee pads are installed now, and awesome. Permanent tee signs go in before June 10th. They have been adding more benches, tables, trash cans, and even design or theme elements, such as old wagon wheels, cow bones (some sort of bones) and things that are just rustic and fit the mountain course style it has. They also hold an unsanctioned monthly tournament on Sunday once a month. All 5 divisions get cash awards, gift certificates for Fly Green, and trophies for the Top 4 places in each division. Intermediate was $90 last week for 1st place! They started their Pro Shop too.

The rough has been improved greatly in almost every spot it was thick in 2011. You can now access the rough on the left of #10 if you throw clear over that rough using various cleared pathways they installed through it. I had no idea that right on the other side of that rough is the #1 tee, until it became accessible. Much of the material that was in the fairways from clearing the scrub oak is now gone, and fairway #6 as an example is grassed over with no stick material present. They set out more trash cans, and benches, and continue to improve the rough, but if you have not played it this year, you are in for a shock already. #9 has a left and a right dog-leg, but they carved large clearings in the scrub oak in the middle, so you can go for it and if you fall short, get your disc and throw a thumber or tomahawk and still par if all goes well.

They added a permanent water hazard past the #1 baskets, if you overthrow, you can end up in a large pond.
Cons: They still need to put in permanent steps in a couple of areas, it is only a problem when wet.
Other Thoughts: A few "C" pin positions that will be over 765' each, to make it a true White/Blue combo course. As an example #11 will have a "C" pin that is not in the open like "A" and "B", but located out onto the hill in the far distance. The White will have 3-5 par using the same tees as the Blue which will be 3 par. New tee signage will be installed to reflect this. The parking lot is being improved and enlarged. Without going into too much detail, there are also plans for some alternate tee pads, that will be so unique and wild, Jellystone will be a must play course for that reason. Although this lists the course as established in 2010, that was another course located here, this course is less than a year old still. They were placing baskets still at the start of May last year.