Larkspur, CO
Jellystone Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: markjfun Hole #10 (Taken 8/2012)

Very good course

1    7/26/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: Rockiesfan4ever
Pros: This is a very technical course (at least for me) and caused me to pay if I made some bad shots (which I did). Lots of good hole placements with signs and hole markings up to date (which I loved!).
Cons: There is a $5 fee to enter the park which sucks but I think it is worth it for the disc golf experience. It becomes more open at the end which is probably a good thing after you battle your way through the trees, but there could be a little bit more technicality needed on the back 5 or so holes.
Other Thoughts: It is somewhat of a hike so bring some water. I think it's a course that needs to be played if you are in the CO Springs area.

hmmmm...

1    7/28/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: AndyJB
This review was updated on 9/5/2012
Pros: ---Good signs, full color and easy to follow
---Small but firm teepads that are set at a good angle
---Interesting level of challenge based on Terrain and environment
---Good baskets
Cons: ---Blind drives all over the front 9
---Paid 5 dollars to play a course littered with garbage and broken glass
---Tree eating shrubbery! (That might be my fault though LOL)
Other Thoughts: I don't really know what to say about this course except for : waaaaaaayyyyy overrated. Its a decent course, but for a pay to play (5 bucks per person including my 7 year old daughter) course with glowing reviews I was expecting a lot more. I may still play their tourney series, but I don't think Ill be playing here again for fun. There is much better pay to play courses nearby.

Another note is the Fly Green "pro shop". Online and on shay they have an awesome selection but all they have at the supposed "pro shop" on site only has a few DXs...and not even the good molds. Hopefully this improves eventually.

BOTTOM LINE: interesting course with a few problems. Overhyped but still fun...just not something I would pay for a lot (they do offer yearly passes if you like the course.) I would say its good for non-traditional tourney play and would be awesome if you were passing through and were staying at Jellystone.

If I seem like I'm being harsh, well, I am. Colorado has tons of free courses that are just as good and better than this. If you're going to pay, head north.

***UPDATE SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2012!***
After Fishy and the guys from Fly Green invited me back to play a couple times with them, I can say that I have definetly changed my opinion of Jellystone. While I do still thing the price is a bit steep, they have made some VAST improvements since I first played this course. Teepads are all in with the exception of one, and in great shape. The Jellystone staff has taken a MUCH more active role in keeping the course clean and free of ne'er-do-well campers who made for such a horrible experience last time.

Also, they have stopped charging non-players, which is great because I never go anywhere without my wife and daughter even if they don't feel like throwing.

The biggest take-away for me about Jellystone is that they and the Fly Green crew read my review and implemented changes that myself and others had mentioned, turning Jellystone into a fantastic course. Thanks SO MUCH to everyone involved, and I can now confidenetly say I am VERY excited to play the winter tournament series here!

Hot, but nice day to play

1    7/22/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: PHARP
Pros: This course seems to be well taken care of. Concrete tees are always a plus. Has a mixture of wooded and open holes. The open holes really allow you to open up your arm.
Cons: Several blind drives.
Other Thoughts: Growing up in TN, this is a nice change. The fact that I can play in 100 degree weather and not be miserable, and be in direct sunlight, is a huge plus. The front nine have a few blind drives, so you can't really tell where you are throwing at all times. Gladly, I met a couple of locals that helped me navigate and tell me where the pins were. Overall, I had a great time here and will come back.

Hey, Hey, Hey, It Started So Well!

1    7/8/2012   7/10/2012
This review was updated on 7/29/2012
Pros: I tried to think of all the Yogi Bear references I could use in my review but in the end I just stuck to the picnic baskets and the facts. The course sits just off the freeway between Denver and Colorado Springs. It's a private campground, hence the Yogi Bear and Jellystone references. The courses starts off like gangbusters with awesome terrrain and a couple of difficult throws and one of my all time favorite disc golf holes. I'll get to it. The signs are Jellystone specific showing the distance, trees, A & B positions, etc. The A & B positions are designated by building blocks on the ground with A painted on one side and B on the other. Whichever side is flipped up is where you're throwing too. Since this is a private course, there is virtually no grafitti and no-one's flipping the markers. The teepads are concrete and are different sized depending on the run-up needed. Good idea and a cost saver. The terrain was rolling hills and wooded making for some great disc golfing. The pars were not for the faint of heart like # 3, a PAR 3, 401' with the basket part way up a hill. That's a tough PAR for me.

# 6 is one of my all time favorite holes. It's 287' slightly downhill. The entire left side is an open canyon. The basket is perched on a little plateau with steep drop offs all around and some trees guarding right and center. You need just the right anhyser touch to drop your tee shot onto the plateau without it dropping off into the abyss.
Cons: The front nine was great. I was all excited to give this course a 4.0 rating but then I played the back nine and was less than impressed. I wouldn't call the last 4-5 holes filler holes but I would probably say they were wide, open and unimaginitive.
# 16 was another tough PAR 3 with 470' slightly uphill all the way to a basket inside the teepee stakes (and into a strong wind the afternoon I played).

$5 to play and they charged my wife $5 to walk along and she ended up sitting in the car reading.
Other Thoughts: For my $5, I was going to wander over into the campers and make off with a few picnic baskets. Oh yeah, I promised no more Yogiisms. How about this one," When you come to the fork in the road, take it." Oh sorry, wrong Yogi. With my regrets to Yogi Bear and Yogi Berra both, stop and play Jellystone DGC, "You'll Have A Gay Old Time!"

5+    6/30/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: andylibrande
This review was updated on 9/26/2012
Pros: Playing this course for the first time was a lot of fun and a great course to add to the front range. Overall I thought the course had some great technical aspects forcing a number of different shots styles from the tee-pad and with the approach shots.

The terrain along with the scrub-oak added a lot to this course. We were constantly surprised by the course with hidden ravines, tricky pin placements, and hidden open spaces in the middle of the scrub-oak. We had minimal problems finding discs even with several erratic throws. Also most holes are secluded from each other and from the rest of Camp Jellystone making it a nice and private.

We played on a hot day and luckily at least several of the holes are in the shade. It can get really hot out if there is no cloud cover.

Even though the signage is currently limited and the directions between the tees is minimal, we only had to reference the map to find the teepads for #1, #9 and #10
Cons: A few of the holes the pin is hidden from the tee-pad and we had to spend a lot of time scoping the holes. This will obviously not need to happen the second time you play the course and once the permanent signage arrives.
Other Thoughts: The only thing I didn't like about the course was that a few holes were right next to I-25. Really not that big of a deal unless you are really use to playing Beaver Ranch all the time.

Cheap ice-cream sandwiches and COLD non-alcoholic beverages at the Ranger Station!!!

More developed in 2012 *Update

5+    5/10/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: RealityCheck
This review was updated on 5/11/2012
Pros: Concrete tee pads are installed now, and awesome. Permanent tee signs go in before June 10th. They have been adding more benches, tables, trash cans, and even design or theme elements, such as old wagon wheels, cow bones (some sort of bones) and things that are just rustic and fit the mountain course style it has. They also hold an unsanctioned monthly tournament on Sunday once a month. All 5 divisions get cash awards, gift certificates for Fly Green, and trophies for the Top 4 places in each division. Intermediate was $90 last week for 1st place! They started their Pro Shop too.

The rough has been improved greatly in almost every spot it was thick in 2011. You can now access the rough on the left of #10 if you throw clear over that rough using various cleared pathways they installed through it. I had no idea that right on the other side of that rough is the #1 tee, until it became accessible. Much of the material that was in the fairways from clearing the scrub oak is now gone, and fairway #6 as an example is grassed over with no stick material present. They set out more trash cans, and benches, and continue to improve the rough, but if you have not played it this year, you are in for a shock already. #9 has a left and a right dog-leg, but they carved large clearings in the scrub oak in the middle, so you can go for it and if you fall short, get your disc and throw a thumber or tomahawk and still par if all goes well.

They added a permanent water hazard past the #1 baskets, if you overthrow, you can end up in a large pond.
Cons: They still need to put in permanent steps in a couple of areas, it is only a problem when wet.
Other Thoughts: A few "C" pin positions that will be over 765' each, to make it a true White/Blue combo course. As an example #11 will have a "C" pin that is not in the open like "A" and "B", but located out onto the hill in the far distance. The White will have 3-5 par using the same tees as the Blue which will be 3 par. New tee signage will be installed to reflect this. The parking lot is being improved and enlarged. Without going into too much detail, there are also plans for some alternate tee pads, that will be so unique and wild, Jellystone will be a must play course for that reason. Although this lists the course as established in 2010, that was another course located here, this course is less than a year old still. They were placing baskets still at the start of May last year.

Yabba Dabba Dooooo!

1    12/10/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course is right off the freeway just south of Castle Rock. The local crowd here draws from both the Denver and Colroado Springs area but because it is less well known and a slight drive you will typically only find the more serious players. The course design itself is admirable though there are a few filler holes. The elevation changes on this course make it interesting and fun. There are some very technical holes and some good open bomber holes. Holes have multiple pin locations with a staff on site that takes care of the course along with some guys from a not so near by disc gold store that take care of and run this course. While the course does have some good difficulty, it is not beyond the capabilities of beginners. There are some great views of the local hills. The ameneties nearby are really nice. Jellystone is a campground that is modeled after Yogi Bear, making it really kid friendly with plenty of other things for the family to do. There are cabins to rent and sites for camping.
Cons: This is a great course and will be taken well care of but it is a pay to play course, still a negative in my book. The tee pads are dirt and do not always have the best footing. There are some disc eating bushes that come into play on several holes. There are several blind holes where you will need to walk the hole the first time through. Signage is limited. The flow of the course is not necessarily logical in all places. The filler holes are filler holes and I am not a fan of those. There are some really short technical holes which end up not being so technical because of how short they are. Distances here do not always seem accurate as most locals say you should add about 20 feet to all the numbers.
Other Thoughts: This course was a good time for sure and with all the ameneties of Jellystone it would make for a great family get away with little kids while still allowing you to play disc golf. It is $5 a day to play at this point and you will need to stop at the rangers station to pay for this. They do have annual passes that will be $60 starting in January 2012, but only $50 between now and then. It is a course that is definately worth playing but one should not expect an elite experience despite the cost that might suggest this is the case.

Mixed Review

1    8/20/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: Sandman1981
Pros: Very easy to find. Great customer service. This is a campground and rec area so there is more than just disc golf here. Ian, the owner was there to meet and greet when I arrived and was a really nice guy. Course will use every shot you have so be prepared and go with your gut. Interesting use of land and features. Decent hike as well. One of the more technical courses down the hills in Colorado. Tee pads are in great condition for dirt.
Cons: The map was needed to guide me in the general direction of the next hole and was still hard to find. Quality signage is needed. Half of this course is all blind shots, I had to scout the majority of the course. Thick brush makes errant shots a pain to retrieve and shoot from. Course plays more like a par 57 than a 54.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my round at Jellystone and will be back sometime in the future. However, the course design feels like Fly Green was trying to prove something that they did not need to. For the piece of land this course is on, I feel like they could have done better in utilizing an up and down strategy into and out of the hazards. Overkill is a close description. I shot par, but am a seasoned player. If you are new to the sport expect to shoot atleast bogey golf. I still loved some of the crazy shots and creativity on some of the holes. Prepare for tommy's, thumbers, massive over the top hyzer flips and more. This should be on your list of courses to play. All reality it is a 3.75 a solid four if you factor in the people who run the place.

Risk/Reward is the name of the game

1    7/24/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: gordon1018
Pros: I had heard about this course a little over a year ago, and had heard bad things. THIS IS NOT THAT COURSE. The guys at Fly Green have come in and made this into a top-notch Colorado Mountain style course without hving to drive to the mountains. If you are a Big-Arm thrower, there's a bunch of holes for you. If you are a technical specialist, there's a lot of challenge for you as well. You will need your forehand, your backhand, S-curves, Mid throws, long drives, and most likely a tomahawk or two

The course goes in and out of a wooded area and offers a good blend of tight technical shorter holes, and a few LONG open holes (that go in or around some Teepee poles).

I found the short holes to be challenging enough that they didn't feel too short, and the long holes to be open enough that they didn't feel too long.

For natural tees they are very nicely done and the designers have taken a lot of time to make the trails to the teepads really nice, even going to the effort of carving stairs out of the rocks.
Cons: It is pay for play. $5 a round is worth it though. the singage needs work as stated before. I don't think so much with finding the next holes. Those signs were easy, but actual teepad signs would be nice, as we had to scout the hole location a lot.

the scrub Oak is brutal. If you go in, good luck finding your disc. the course very much punishes errant throws, but there are ample places to safely play your disc.
Other Thoughts: I loved this course. I live in CAstle Rock, and the only close course to me before was Matney park, which is okay for working on your windy game and long drives, but t never prepared me for tournaments in mountain courses. I'll be back a lot to play this one, and have found out they do Friday night tag matches now too.

I met the owner while playing the round and he has said that there will eb upgrades in the future from the greens fees, and he is really excited about people coming down to play the course. It's all on his property, and he welcomes people in with a smile and open arms.

I think the season pass price is a little high, but that being said I'll probably pay it so I can come down more often.

the campground is a really nice place to camp so you could spend a few days if you like. There's also an all you can eat pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings.

Overall, I'm really glad to have a tourament quaity course such as this so close to my house.

Smarter than the average course

2-4    7/18/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: turchynowicz
Pros: Jellystone offers an easily accessible (right off of I-25) disc golf game that uses the topography and vegetation to create a good game for both beginners and advanced players.

The staff at the "Ranger Station" is extremely friendly and eager to help. You do have to sign a silly waiver before you play, as apparently Yogi and his friends do frequent the area.
Baskets are in good condition and moved between their "A" and "B" positions periodically.

Some baskets are marked with flagging when out of view of the tee. Hopefully more of these will be coming on line as they are very helpful.

Tee pads are dirt and are in good shape.

Signage is not complete, but the all-important "next tee" arrows are present and therefore presented no difficulties navigating the course.

Hole number 9 wraps back towards number 1 which is convenient if you're only up for playing 9 or going for 27. There are very few conflicting holes, so this course could handle a crowded day easily.

It is typical vegetation for this part of Colorado. Closed shoes are advisable- if you throw one off the fairway, you'll likely be digging through some scrub oaks, and poison ivy is present on a couple of holes.

The course is clean and a few holes offer benches and pic-a-nic tables.
Cons: It would be nice to see a two color system here utilizing the same tees. It's easy for young ones and folks new to the sport to get frustrated with holes that are par 3 that are 400+ feet, especially with the fact it is located in a family campground. It is certainly a "white" par 3 course (possibly with the exception of no. 16 which is 536'), but the holes over 400' really should be "red" par 4's. (Perhaps a Yogi par and Boo Boo par?)
Other Thoughts: Jellystone offers a great mix of woods and open shots, testing tight technical lanes as well as grip and rip holes, certainly making it worth a stop on any Denver/ Colorado Springs/ Front Range disc golf itinerary.