Killington, VT
Base Camp Outfitters DGC Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #18 (Taken 7/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3
BCO Course Offers Extreme Holes And Lots Of Tecnical Throws!

1    8/5/2015   8/5/2015
Pros: The Base Camp Outfitters course is located directly behind their store in Killington. The store is a high end ski/hiking/outfitters shop which also happens to stock a large selection of disc golf equipment. The cost to play is $6 payable at the store although I think the locals might just wait until the store closes and then play for free. A group of five were starting their round after store hours.

The course plays up, down and through the wooded slope behind the store. This area is criss-crossed with nordic ski trails. In summer, you may encounter some hikers. Parts of this slope are naturally wet and marshy. Logs and a few small log type bridges have been built to get you over the wettest sections. Even around the 1st of August, parts were quite wet. I would think spring and fall would be really problematic in places. Winter buried under snow, of course.

The concrete tee pads are nicely sized. The metal signs show the distance as well as a preferred route. The baskets are Discatchers portable models with double chains. I think three were fixed as hanging and one or two were elevated.

Hole # 1 is a long (507') sloping downhill throw withe the hanging basket tucked in far to the right. I tried to play it alone, sans spotter, and lost one of my essential discs, one that's been in my bag for probably 5-6 years. (I came back after my round, continued hunting for it and eventually found it about 50 yards from where I thought it was).

# 3 is another long hole which has you throwing blindly over a plateau which then funnels into an ever narrowing area to the basket below. There is thick, thick rough and tall grass on both sides. After losing one of my favorite discs on the first hole, I couldn't bring myself to crank another throw into the unknown without a spotter. So I chose to skip this hole.

From here on out I was able to play and navigate the course without any trouble, unless you call hitting a tree occasionally trouble. I didn't have any more problems with the local bug/mosquito population here than on any courses I've played around these parts.

But I found myself starting to become a little tired of looking at the same tee sign on every hole, that is 225-325', basically a straight shot through a semi-wooded fairway. Maybe a little difference in the elevation plus or minus. The lack of variety on the course keeps it from being a more elite course in my mind.

My favorite hole on the course was actually one of the aforementioned long straight down a ski trail type. But # 10 had a natural beauty to it. It's 317' but arrow straight and the basket is right there at the end staring back at you. Nothing in the way! You just have to thread the needle all the way.
Cons: The bogginess/wetness of the course would have to affect the enjoyment during certain times of the year,

13-14 holes are basically similar in their design, straight throws, try to miss the trees.

Not the best baskets.

Spotters needed on a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course which certainly presents the player with some challenging throws. I think it plays as an intermediate level course, thanks to holes 1 & 3. The other 16 holes are just solid recreational fun . It's not a course for beginners. It does provide a nice workout. I wonder about it's playability. When does it open in the spring? How late in the fall can you play? Is BCO open 6 months a year? Just curious? I'm a fair weather player, I don't even like to play in the rain or when the temperature drops unto the 40s. I'm not tough like these Vermont players.

Basically Cooler than Ordinary

1    8/23/2014   9/15/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Base Camp Outfitters DGC is pretty wild for a par 54. The store is full of good gear and snacks. Get a scorecard when you stop in to pay greens fees. Practice basket next to parking area to get you warmed up. The concrete tees are long and pretty good quality. Baskets are not the best, but serve their purpose. The first hole is the belle of the ball, but go ahead and play the rest, if you should make it out there. I played the long tees, and 1 is near the parking lot, with the target at the bottom of a tall hill, cutting hard to the right. Just go for it! I wanted to throw more than one, but I didn't have a spotter, and once it goes over the edge, there is a lot of space for a disc to hide. I held it to one shot, but didn't put enough air under it, and was well short of the pin, but safely in an open area near the bottom of the hill. There is a bell to ring once you clear the basket, to let anyone at the 1st tee know you are out of the way. 3 is another bomb from the top, with a big drop off and tricky pin position near the bottom. Hole 4 the elevation changes ease up, and around the basket you get into thicker woods. There are good fairways, but you need to hit the gaps and avoid pin balling off trees to play par. 6 tees over a small pond, to a pin at the top of a small, wooded hill. I missed to many putts, and feel like there are some great opportunities for birdies that I could not convert. I nailed the drive on 8, 340' downhill with a tight fairway, but could not make the putt. Same on shorter, easier uphill hole 9. I made a birdie on 10, after a good bullet line drive down a tight fairway, which was nice. 11 was back uphill with a pin perched on a stump. 12 was long enough to give me a two putt bogey, after a decent drive. I made a solid birdie putt on 15 from the fringe of the rough. That was the last one I got, and another bogey on 16 put me 2 over par, where I finished (56). 18 is a short final hole, over a creek flowing down the hill behind the clubhouse. There are 4 or 5 really great holes on the course, and only a couple of average ones. I liked the overall quiet and secluded feeling on the course. The layout did a wonderful job utilizing the nature of the landscape, playing around the trees, and over the rocks and water.
Cons: The signs and the baskets could be better. Water in play on several holes, and mud lingering from rainfall a couple of days earlier. Added logs and boards in the worst spots will help you across. There are not any par 4 or 5 holes, a shortcoming for some players, not so much for me. Fairway on hole 2 crosses directly in front of 18 tee box.
Other Thoughts: Base Camp Outfitters has developed a really good course. Those who helped with the design and install did a very good job. I really wanted to give them a 4.5 rating, but couldn't quite get there. Some upgrades on the baskets and signage would put it over the top, but a fine course as it is. One of my favorites for sure, perhaps the best opening hole I've ever seen.

Excellent course and pro shop

1    9/29/2013   10/15/2013
Review By: dvdchss
Pros: Well kept with clear paths up the fairways. Clear hole description coincides with scorecard. Good signage to next hole. Cement tee pads and alternate tees on longer holes. The owner's dedication to the sport really shows.
Cons: There are some boggy spots on a couple of holes, but these can be avoided with the correct disc selection or use of an alternate tee (Discretion is the better part of valour)
Other Thoughts: Like the hanging baskets, general pin placements and use of logs and rocks to prevent skipping or sliding approach shots. No concenrs with any of the baskets. The proshop had a nice selection of disc even though it was late in the season and the owners could not have been any friendlier.

1    8/6/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: Buchajs1
Pros: Between this course and killington resort disc golf you could have a pretty fun day of disc golf in killington. If you are within a couple hours of killington i would highly recommend coming here for a day trip to play two solid courses. Believe me, you wont be dissapointed.

Variety-this course has a good mix of open and wooded holes and equires a good deal of shot shaping to score well. The course begins with hole #1 a fantastic left to right around a large area of weeds and down a slope to a hanging basket. Probably my favorite hole on the course. I would recomend using a spotter on this hole. Then your off to hole number two, a a straight hole with a slight dogleg left, up a slope to the pin. As you continue forward you find yourself on top of a plateau where hole #3 tee is. Hole 3 is a long downhill bomber that plays over the edge of the plateau, then continues downhill to a basket on the left in a small area of woods. I would recommend using a spotter on this one also. From there you venture into the woods and swamps surrounding the nordic ski trails for holes 4-17 these holes present a nice mix of different lines and some elevation utilizing the many nordic ski trails. Shot shaping and accuracy is a must on this part of the course if you hope to score well. After that youre on the tee of 18 a relatively short (250 feet) hole that requires you to hit a somewhat small gap and continue to the basket. Try to stay to the right, beause there is a drop off left. Beware if you hit one of the trees forming the gap you may find yourself in a small stream with only a pancake shot out. Although some may find it gimmicky i really enjoyed the abundance of elevated and hanging baskets.

Amenities- concrete tees and paper tee signs on each hole, shorter tees are usually just natural tees marked by posts. Base camp outfitters store serves as a pro shop with a good amount of discs, as well as many other items to satisfy your outdoor needs. Bathrooms inside as well.
Cons: Temp baskets- they catch pretty well, however even the best of portables do not compare to permanent baskets. I think the baskets are discatcher sports with an added set of chains to improve catching.

Lost disc potential- with the marshes, there are literally signs that say if you step in you will find yourself knee deep in mud. Beginners could find themselves losing some plastic here.

Not Vermont's Finest

1    7/5/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: AaronMonier18
Pros: The Pro Shop is nice and has a decent amount of discs to browse. The staff seemed friendly and the location is pleasant.

There are some above average holes to play and it was a fun round. It just seemed like a campground course to me. I think the problem is mostly is the track of land which limits what can be done with design. Either way.... I would never consider driving from NH to play here again.
Cons: The baskets are kind of a joke. I know they are expensive and the overhead hurts a small course like this... but they are not fun to putt with. They are essentially Innova Discatcher Sports with an extra set of chains? Garbage. The teepads are rough and not always facing the right direction. They were having a tournament the following day and I was a little appalled at the course conditions. The track swings through some defunct parking lot before heading into some cross country trails. Perhaps my expectations were too high... but BCO really disappointed me. However, I have friends who like it. Check it out for yourself.
Other Thoughts: Again, this is just my opinion and it seems like I'm an outlier to most reviews here. However, anybody who thinks they are walking into a Excellent to Phenomenal course is destined to be a little disapointed.

Long Trail Ale and Fun Disc Golf = Happy!

1    10/11/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
- Super Fun Holes. The course starts off with a bang on Hole 1 and keeps throwing some really fun golf at you along the way, utilizing the elevation, thick rough and swampy regions effectively. The course forces you to throw a variety of precise shots off the tee-pad, rewarding good drives with realistic birdie opportunities and punishing bad drives and upshots with probable bogeys.
- Extreme Punishment. There were a few holes where if you got off the fairway, you were F**ked. Even a pitch out would be rough. Other holes had a swampy region along a fairway's edge, or that had to be crossed, creating some risk/reward pressure as going in the swampy mud after your disc would not be pretty. I love that kind of golf... throw the shot or else.
- Base Camp Aspect. The Base Camp Outfitters disc golf course was on the private property of a ski/hiking/outfitter shop... which carried some real high-end gear and other various general store-like items. They have also installed various types of tent-like shelters around the course, which offered protection from the elements at a few of the tee-pads.
- Long Trail Brewery. I usually try to bag a few breweries during my disc golf travels... and I was pleasantly surprised to find the Long Trail Brewery just down the way from the course. Their beer isn't my favorite, not even close; but like famous courses, the brewery is famous enough to be a special one to bag!
- Swampy. Several of the fairways bordered a swampy, messy area that you would not want to throw your disc into. I didn't have any trouble with it, but a small kick off a tree could have you wishing you hadn't hit the tree. I really didn't have a problem with the swamp, I actually think it enhanced several holes. I simply mention here because it's the best place to mention it... and, it probably breeds obscene amounts of mosquitoes.
- Potential Seasonality of the Course. (I am posing some educated guesses here): Due to the swamps, I imagine that this place is an insect breeding ground in the warmer months. This wasn't a problem for me as I played in October, and it was decently cold (literally snowing at the top of the mountain)... but from April-September, this place is probably extremely buggy, making play during those months undesirable. And then, I would imagine that the course gets snowed over during the winter months, making Base Camp Outfitters DGC really only friendly for play between April-May and September-October. (again, just a guess on my part).
- Overall. I had a blast a Base Camp Outfitters. The golf was slightly above average, and birdies were there for the taking with proper execution. The shots were fun and the ruff punishing. I imagine the course is buggy as hell in the warmer months, especially due to the swampy areas, and buried under a couple feet of snow in the winter. The tent shelters offered great places to relax for a minute. If you're just traveling through, bring a little extra money as the Outfitter shop carries some amazing gear... and it would be good to support their local economy so they can stay alive and keep the course going. I was happy to make Base Camp my VT course... I mean, there might have been a better course somewhere in Vermont, but Base Camp Outfitters was a quality stop... especially since I got to bag the Long Trail Brewery too!
- My Score: 49... with 5 missed putts and a bogey (course record is a 44)

Bachman Corner Overdrive

1    10/5/2012   11/1/2012
Review By: swatso
The long tee areas had benches, trash cans, tee signs, and 4'x12' concrete tee pads. Some holes have middle and/or short tee areas marked by small posts/worn spots.

Practice basket. Extensive on-site shop, and a separate clubhouse. Proprietor quite friendly and informative.
Dampness. As you can tell by glancing at the map and scorecard, several holes play along, and even across, bog-like terrain, and with the bulk of the course set on a tree-filled, north-facing slope, this is likely a fairly-permanent affliction. Wooden planks and logs have been placed in the worst areas to assist in passage.

Crossing fairway (2,18). Proximity of tees, fairways, and baskets to other baskets, fairways, and tees at several locations. This is somewhat mitigated by the placing of meshing netting to protect the most vulnerable tee locations (tee-17, perpendicular to blind, downhill fairway-3 comes to mind).
Course plays up, down, and across the initially-open-but-primarily-wooded slope behind the BCO shop, with crisscrossing cross-country ski trails providing throwing lanes for many of the wooded holes. The terrain is interesting, with scattered boulders, an abundance of mid-sized trees, and moderate elevation changes. Many of the baskets have challenging greens - near slopes/drop-offs, obstacles, etc.

Make sure you arm is warmed and loosed before you start, as three of the four longest holes are played right from the start. While open, numbers 1 and 3 both have major elevation drops, with number-1 also requiring a major right turn to a hanging basket, and number-3, beginning at the midpoint, funneling the fairway with trees.

The next three holes are short (average ~220'), straight, relatively flat, and moderately tight, but have the ob-bog looming nearby. Holes seven thru ten are somewhat similar, with an average length of ~275, with more, scattered trees, moderate elevations changes, and a variety of subtle turns needed from the tee. The next two holes continue the theme, but are about 75' longer, while upslope-13 is short but a tree-filled challenge.

Hole-14 was probably my favourite hole. From an elevated, trees-enclosed position, you throw out into open space, across a stream-filled, bog-valley, to a tree-guarded basket, 320' away, sitting at roughly the same altitude as the teepad

Holes 15, first-half of 16, and 17 are similar - 280ish, tree-lined, moderate but tunneled fairway, with number-16 having a big/quick elevation drop at its midpoint. The final hole is an open, 212' ace-run, but not sans danger, as it sits near a steep slope.

Great course, worth a play if in the area. Try to play when it has been dry for quite some time!

Cool set up

1    9/20/2012   9/20/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes with concrete tee pads located behind a retail store that sells skiing, hiking, and disc golf equipment. also has clean bathrooms and drinks and snacks on site. Plenty of parking, and it is easy to get to right off Rt 4.

Each pad has rudimentary sign showing basic hole layout and distance. Pads are all plenty large and well done with concrete. There are also plenty of arrows and next tee signs. No map needed here as it is easy to navigate.

After hole 1 the course plays through nice quiet woods. Hole 1 plays from behind the store and is the only place where you don't really feel like you're playing wooded golf.

Decent variety of shots needed. There is a good mix of left and right turning shots. There are also some straight tunnel-like shots.

Basket positions are pretty good. There are some baskets on small hills, near slight drops, and wedged behind trees. There is also a few well placed hanging baskets. Baskets are portables, but catch very well, and are more than adequate.

Course is well maintained. Paths are cleared, and bridges, walkways and steps have been added throughout to help with some tricky areas.
Cons: There are some low-lying swampy areas. Walkways have been added to help out, but sometimes discs don't land on those walkways. This may be weather dependent in some areas, but others seemed like it was a permanent issue.
Other Thoughts: This course was not at all what I was expecting. It is a nice, fairly short technical course. No real major negatives or problems. But it is not what I would call mountain golf. There is some elevation, but nothing dramatic or eye catching. Just 18 holes of good wooded disc golf. While I didn't feel that any of the holes were exceptional, there were a few that stood out to me. #1 is a nice 469' shot that plays off a decent sized hill to a hanging basket between two trees. It's a blind shot, but is well designed and fun. #3 is another down hill blind shot of 406'. There is a narrow gap at about 200', then a small hillside behind the basket. Pretty cool. After that it is mostly tight wooded golf with very subtle elevation changes. Basically putter and mid control golf. There are a lot of 200'and 300' holes that work through the woods forcing you to hit a line or miss a tree. Most fairways are well cleared and have an obvious line to the basket. Only occasionally is there a random tree that could present a problem. #5 sticks out as one of those exceptions. 190' and very tight, but that works well on shorter holes.

There are a few places where some baskets are close to each other and things seem tight. I had the course to myself so it wasn't and issue, but if it was crowded I would want to keep aware of discs coming from other fairways. On #16 the basket for #3 is actually visible for the pad, but 16's is down and to the right. Could confuse some people.

All in all this is a good course and worth playing if you are in the area. It doesn't make the cut as a true destination mountain golf course, but it is well cared for, and offers a lot of amenities for a $6 fee. I would definitely recommend stopping in if you are nearby.

5+    7/1/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: bradharris
Pros: Base Camp Outfitters is passionate about skiing. In the warmer months, when there's no snow on the ground, they shift their focus to a new passion: disc golf. I've seen other outdoor stores that sell discs. But none have a staff as knowledgable and excited about the sport as BCO.

The course starts next to the store with a big right turning downhill shot. After two more long open holes, the course moves into the woods and plays through cross-country ski and snowshoe trails.

The variety here is great. With a nice mix of elevation, distance, and fairway shapes, each hole has a unique feel to it. Every tee shot forces players to strategize carefully to choose the best shot for that hole.

Every green is reachable from the tee. However, the pin positions are very well chosen such that there are no easy birdies. On the shorter holes, technical greens and guardian trees emphasize placement off the tee. The longer holes have more accessable greens so that accurate distance is rewarded.

One thing I particularly like about this course is that it doesn't force throwing lines. Many wooded courses feature very early trees that completely obscure specific lines. Here though, there is plenty of open space to allow players to decide for themselves what line will work best.

Being able to visualize the right lines and then execute using a multitude of throwing styles will make players successful here.
Cons: This land is swampy. The really wet areas are OB, but unfortunately, that doesn't stop discs from going in there. Errant tee shots can find their way into some really unforgiving terrain requiring the thrower to tip-toe over logs (if you're lucky) or get wet and muddy trying to retrieve them.

Holes 1, 2 and 18 all criss-cross and can create safety concerns.

The tee signs are positioned poorly. They are all set at the front of the tee box, usually on the right side where a RHBH throw will follow through. Although I don't think I would have actually hit any, seeing them there can make the follow through more tentative. On a number of holes I actually threw from the middle of the teebox to stay away from the signs.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth the trip. Enjoy the VT scenery on the way in and then enjoy playing disc golf on a wonderfully designed wooded course.

Tougher than it looks, and lots of fun

5+    7/14/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: 3DiskBag
Pros: Concrete teepads make for a great playing experience. The different hole layouts challenged me to use all of my shot types. Good variety of hole lengths--some of medium length (birdy-able), and others I was happy to get par on. The course is kept well maintained, so beginners could enjoy the challenging course without losing many discs in uncut grass or getting too frustrated. Great scenery too.
Cons: A little mud after a big rain storm, but hey, that's to be expected in VT afterall. But there's always bridges/footpaths over those areas. Just part of the great outdoors!
Other Thoughts: M@Marro's review hit the nail on the head. couldn't agree more.

< Prev 1 2 3