Center Valley, PA
Ace Eight DGC at DeSales University Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #15

beautiful course, at the right time...

1    8/29/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: KeithMiller
Pros: I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun this course was to play. I had heard it was tough to get around, but with a map and a knowledge of how to read one it really wasn't a problem. The course is virtually immaculate in it's upkeep, because the college campus is gorgeous and mowed well. I found the layout of each hole to be pretty good in that you weren't throwing over athletic fields or right into populated areas. We played in the evening, but WOW what a great place to play in the summer evenings! Wide open for most shots, great putting/wind practice, and just a cool atmosphere on the college campus. Good elevation, and if you've got a spotter, 8-11 just require pinpoint midrange shots and you should be ok.
Cons: Of course, the fact that the flypads are down in the grass with no tee signs makes it tough to navigate the 1st or 2nd time, but just make SURE you have a map and you'll be ok. When lots of college kids are out on the grass I could see it taking a lot of patience, so I'd stay away during highly populated times. But we played when there were students yesterday and it was not a problem. I'd love to have tee signs, they just make a course more professional. Holes 8 to 11 are certainly a bit overgrown, but the narrow fairway was mowed when we were there. Use a spotter! It was actually kind of comical, when we got to those baskets the weeds had grown up through them from beneath, so they were kind of like basket-bushes. Actually improved catching quality. No cut throughs possible. Maybe everyone should let weeds grow through their baskets. :) We played after lots of rain, and the final two holes were a bit soggy, especially 17 which plays over a bog... but is almost reminiscent of a USDGC style course with a landing area, and then a second shot to hit the green, which was a lot of fun. Look for the bridge behind those big bushes for a place to cross.... we didn't realize it was there! The course isn't super technical, but certainly requires either really well placed drives or solid 30-40 foot putting in order to get under par.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a great enjoyment. I could see this being a perfect local alternative during the summer when the wooded courses are overgrown, to just enjoy an opportunity to let it fly, not worry about losing a disc, and take in the beautiful campus. A fun, stress free afternoon out on the course! And I was surprised that you could easily hold a tournament on this course too... hey you locals, maybe put one on next summer????