Kearney, NE

A Signature DGC for Nebraska

1    1/1/2012   1/1/2012
Review By: 888HUSKERS
This review was updated on 1/16/2012
Pros: This course would be challenging for most everyone if the holes are all in the B location which they were for our first outing but even in the A position a player just starting out or learning how to play could become very frustrated in a hurry. If you're just starting out don't keep track of your score and just take in the experience of playing at such a good course. I see this as a positive because after playing this course with two others who were new to the course we quickly had absolutely no fear of any other course we've encountered because they all seem a lot more friendly compared to a course like this that is intended to give an experienced player a challenge.

Beautiful scenery all year round and something different to look at each time. This would be a great place for the whole family to spend an afternoon while you put your arm to the test.

This course will force you to learn to throw different kinds of shots because without them it will cost you strokes. The different holes will force you to throw straight shots, hyzer shots, anhyzer shots, and even tempt you into throwing rollers on certain occasions if you have a consistent roller in your bag. It will even force you reevaluate your approach/putt game because some of the B position pins are right near the waters edge.

Some of the shots you'll take here are nothing like what you'll find anywhere else in central Nebraska, it really is a unique experience especially on a windy day when the pins are in the B position.

The course had great signage including a scoreboard at hole 1 which indicated the positions of the pins so you know which are in the A position or the B position. Make sure to write this down before heading out on the course.

The course had good teepads which were level with the ground and usually placed in a visible place from the previous hole. All of the tees are in great condition and very well kept.

All of the baskets are in good shape and well maintained. They are moved around at various times of the year for different events.
Cons: All holes are listed as par 3 which is not reasonable for most average players but then again this may not be a con because again this disc golf course was not designed to be a normal run of the mill (no pun intended) DGC.

Some of the holes are not always clearly laid out the first time around so it might be confusing the first go round.

The first time you play this you are bound to end up making a lot of bad shots because you have no idea how close or far you are until you are right on top of the hole in some cases. This course could use more detailed maps like those at Tierra park in Lincoln or possibly a printable map/scorecard.
Other Thoughts: I would highly recommend this course for even the casual player if they live in the state because it really is an amazing course at all times of the year. During the winter the swimming lake is drained and most of the water hazards are frozen over which reduces the fear of loosing a disc. During the summer this is a beautiful park with a lot to take in while you walk the course.

I would recommend walking the full course before playing it the first time. I would also recommend not going alone because on at least 3 or 4 of the holes you need a spotter to watch your disc because you are throwing blind over a hill or down hill between a narrow path of trees were you could loose a disc or hit someone. This normally would not be a concern on some disc golf courses that are out in remote parks like this but while we were playing there were a lot of people walking their dogs in the park or running along the fairways which could result in an unpleasant experience if you were to hit someone on a blind shot.

This is a MUST PLAY course for anyone who has the chance to play it and is well worth the drive even for someone passing by along the interstate. If you have a trip passing by Kearney and are from out of state make plans to stop and take in the course because it will certainly not let you down.

On a side note I have heavily revised my previous review since the original date it was wrote. Hopefully it gives a better portrayal of what Cottonmill has to offer.

Will return for more

1    3/18/2011   3/18/2011
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: Great use of trees and mixture of left and right hand holes. Great layout for the most part. Pretty easy to follow. This course is beautiful!
Cons: Not much outside of a little confusing finding some of the tees and baskets on first time through. (i.e. the back 9)

Tough but fun

1    7/17/2010   2/20/2011
Review By: Wheelz
Pros: Excellent course. It was tough but pretty fair, probably one of the two or three toughest in the state. Nice mix of wooded and open holes, you had to use every shot in the bag. Great use of water hazards and elevation. Nice tee pads and fun pin placements, there are some great risk-reward shots here.
Cons: You really need a spotter on a few holes as there are some blind pins. Could have used a bench or two to sit on after walking up and down some of the hills. Make sure you have some extra discs, it isn't hard to loose one here.
Other Thoughts: Overall it is a awesome course. I would definitely recommend it to everyone if you are coming through Nebraska on the interstate, it is worth pulling off for an hour to play. Easily one of the top courses, if not top course in the area.

Surprised by this one.

2-4    5/6/2011   8/24/2010
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 5/6/2011
Pros: Set in a nice quiet park, the course is easy to get to with parking right next to the first hole. Large cement teepads on every hole with a few with dual teepads. Course is generally wooded with baskets tucked into them creating more of a challenge. Holes are quite varied from long and short to right and left throws. Elevation, while not extreme, comes into play nicely on several of the holes. There are a few water holes that might scare a new player, but more experienced players wont have any problem I think. I also liked how some of the holes have dramatically different pin placement options that would really change how the course would play when the baskets are moved. Some of the holes were tunnel shots like hole 4 and 17. The middle of the course holds a few ace chances. I especially liked holes 6, 12 and 17. The course itself was loaded with mature trees with closely cut grass on all the fairways. Though there wasn't too many trashcans, the course was pretty clean. The teesigns, while small, had all the information you needed and were in great shape. Everything was in great shape, no damage to speak of.
Cons: Not a whole lot of cons here, or at least not significant ones. Navigation wasn't the greatest, but not too difficult to figure out on your own. There is also a course map, but I forget it in the care. Next tee signs would be a nice addition. Some of the holes have fairways that cross trails and the road, but the park generally isn't too busy for that to be too much of a problem. Hole 15 has a full size volleyball court right in the middle of the fairway. This is a terrible design and I could see how many players would just skip this hole.
Other Thoughts: I realy enjoyed this course. I am always surprised how such small cities can have such great courses. This course has all you could ask for. I could easily play here several times a week and by moving the baskets around, it would be hard to get bored of this course. I really gave consideration to giving this course a 4.5 rating, it is that good, but a 4 rating is well deserved. I would definately play this course again.

guide recomended

1    8/19/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: pokrplayr
Pros: some tough up and down shots, elevation is well used on the couse. well maintaind.
Cons: too many par 3.5's as a lot of courses have and rediculously hard to play if you dont know the course. you will be walking down most fairways to locat the pin.
Other Thoughts: I jumped on with a group of local kids and playd with them, it was a good time and a fun course. but with out a guide playing the course blind would be very frustrating

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: fretgod321
This review was updated on 4/15/2011
Pros: Cottonmill is a nice challenging 18 holes. The course offers a large amount of elevation changes throughout the course. Water comes into play on a decent number of holes as well. There is a good balance of tight and open fairways. There is also a good variety of doglegs (both left and right) and straight shots.
Cons: There's very little I can say bad about this course other than that the layout can be a bit confusing if you have never played here before.
Other Thoughts: overall, cottonmill is a great course, it really teaches you to learn to control your throws, due to the narrow fairways with thick woods and underbrush as rough. There is also a 'bonus' hidden hole between holes 9 and 10. just follow the small beaten path across the fairway of hole 2 into the woods and you will come across a rubber tee pad. the hole doglegs slightly to the right

2-4    3/18/2009   3/23/2009
Review By: _dm4
Pros: I have played this course several times, but only in the winter and early spring. Wow! I really enjoy it every time! I have not played it when all the pins are in their longest positions, but would like to do so! I am writing on here to encourage people to play this course!
Cons: None, for now!

Step Up and be Counted.

1    9/30/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course has a rockin' layout. There are some great technical shots, the elevation changes are fantastic, and risk/reward factor showed up on many holes. They have course map/scorecards at the message board and you will need the map! I loved how some holes would allow you 2 different ways of getting to the hole. The water does come into play often as part of the course works around the lake. Holes 3 and 9 are fun over the lake shots, but do have alternate tee pads available for the less enthusiastic. ;) There were the occasional non-players walking around, but it isn't enough to say there are safety issues. The tee signs and the long concrete tee pads were great.
Cons: The message board does have a spot to tell you which pins are in position B, but it was not updated! :( I did not see any restrooms and very few trashcans. Navigation is actually tough even with the map. It would be great if you could play with a local your first time out.

This part of the negatives I am sure is seasonal or bad timing on my part, butů.
There were literally billions of mosquitoes. I mean I was walking through clouds of them the entire 18 holes and I used three complete layers of bug spray. That did almost no good at all. There was also tons of grasshoppers every where I stepped (not much of a problem, just annoying.) And the last bug complaint was that there were 4 tee pads with huge webs hanging right over them and they had spiders with the body size of quarters in them. I kind of made a half tee shot on those holes. ;)
Other Thoughts: Although my experience was not that good due to the bug issues, I would still say this course has a pretty good fun factor. Some of the blind cliff shots on the first nine were a real treat. I had actually planned to play this course twice, but I couldn't take the mosquitoes any more. I do think this a real challenge for all levels of the game. The front nine was much tougher than the back nine, as info.

2-4    7/17/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: High Flyer
This review was updated on 8/18/2008
Pros: Boost the rating to 4 stars if you're up for a challenge, there's no shortage here. The fairways on this course favor a well planned, well excecuted throw.

The maps, both online and in the box at the beginning of the course were very helpful.
Cons: Can be frustrating. Some holes had me thinking "you've got to be kidding me." I found myself being very conservative to keep things inbounds.
Other Thoughts: All in all, I think this course made me a better player where it challenged me to keep tight control on my throws.

worth the stop

1    3/18/2007   3/10/2008
Review By: DGtourist
This review was updated on 3/23/2009
Pros: The lake that Cottonmill plays through provides a nice forest like setting as well as good elevation changes. Thick trees come into play in interesting and sometimes creative ways. Some of the fairways are cleared out like ball golf fairways. You can tell that the people of Kearney love disc golf by how well cared for this course is. I was even provided with a map fresh from the printers, by some of the local clubbers who were clearing out debris. The beauty of this course, its flow and its shot variety make this one of my top five courses out of the about 50 I have played. If ever driving through Nebraska its worth the stop.
Cons: I got turned around looking for the back nine, due to an alternate pin location. However it was damn hard to think of a negative for this course. I cannot wait to come back someday.
Other Thoughts: Keep raising the bar Kearney! This was one of the first courses that I played as a DGtourist. At the time I thought it was an amazing course, I have since lowered my grade. It is still a very impressive course, maybe the best in central Nebraska, and I plan to stop by here next time I am in the area.

1 2 Next >