Kearney, NE

1 2 Next >
 Will return for more

1    3/18/2011   3/18/2011
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: Great use of trees and mixture of left and right hand holes. Great layout for the most part. Pretty easy to follow. This course is beautiful!
Cons: Not much outside of a little confusing finding some of the tees and baskets on first time through. (i.e. the back 9)

Tough but fun

1    7/17/2010   2/20/2011
Review By: Wheelz
Pros: Excellent course. It was tough but pretty fair, probably one of the two or three toughest in the state. Nice mix of wooded and open holes, you had to use every shot in the bag. Great use of water hazards and elevation. Nice tee pads and fun pin placements, there are some great risk-reward shots here.
Cons: You really need a spotter on a few holes as there are some blind pins. Could have used a bench or two to sit on after walking up and down some of the hills. Make sure you have some extra discs, it isn't hard to loose one here.
Other Thoughts: Overall it is a awesome course. I would definitely recommend it to everyone if you are coming through Nebraska on the interstate, it is worth pulling off for an hour to play. Easily one of the top courses, if not top course in the area.

Surprised by this one.

2-4    5/6/2011   8/24/2010
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 5/6/2011
Pros: Set in a nice quiet park, the course is easy to get to with parking right next to the first hole. Large cement teepads on every hole with a few with dual teepads. Course is generally wooded with baskets tucked into them creating more of a challenge. Holes are quite varied from long and short to right and left throws. Elevation, while not extreme, comes into play nicely on several of the holes. There are a few water holes that might scare a new player, but more experienced players wont have any problem I think. I also liked how some of the holes have dramatically different pin placement options that would really change how the course would play when the baskets are moved. Some of the holes were tunnel shots like hole 4 and 17. The middle of the course holds a few ace chances. I especially liked holes 6, 12 and 17. The course itself was loaded with mature trees with closely cut grass on all the fairways. Though there wasn't too many trashcans, the course was pretty clean. The teesigns, while small, had all the information you needed and were in great shape. Everything was in great shape, no damage to speak of.
Cons: Not a whole lot of cons here, or at least not significant ones. Navigation wasn't the greatest, but not too difficult to figure out on your own. There is also a course map, but I forget it in the care. Next tee signs would be a nice addition. Some of the holes have fairways that cross trails and the road, but the park generally isn't too busy for that to be too much of a problem. Hole 15 has a full size volleyball court right in the middle of the fairway. This is a terrible design and I could see how many players would just skip this hole.
Other Thoughts: I realy enjoyed this course. I am always surprised how such small cities can have such great courses. This course has all you could ask for. I could easily play here several times a week and by moving the baskets around, it would be hard to get bored of this course. I really gave consideration to giving this course a 4.5 rating, it is that good, but a 4 rating is well deserved. I would definately play this course again.

guide recomended

1    8/19/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: pokrplayr
Pros: some tough up and down shots, elevation is well used on the couse. well maintaind.
Cons: too many par 3.5's as a lot of courses have and rediculously hard to play if you dont know the course. you will be walking down most fairways to locat the pin.
Other Thoughts: I jumped on with a group of local kids and playd with them, it was a good time and a fun course. but with out a guide playing the course blind would be very frustrating

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: fretgod321
This review was updated on 4/15/2011
Pros: Cottonmill is a nice challenging 18 holes. The course offers a large amount of elevation changes throughout the course. Water comes into play on a decent number of holes as well. There is a good balance of tight and open fairways. There is also a good variety of doglegs (both left and right) and straight shots.
Cons: There's very little I can say bad about this course other than that the layout can be a bit confusing if you have never played here before.
Other Thoughts: overall, cottonmill is a great course, it really teaches you to learn to control your throws, due to the narrow fairways with thick woods and underbrush as rough. There is also a 'bonus' hidden hole between holes 9 and 10. just follow the small beaten path across the fairway of hole 2 into the woods and you will come across a rubber tee pad. the hole doglegs slightly to the right

2-4    3/18/2009   3/23/2009
Review By: _dm4
Pros: I have played this course several times, but only in the winter and early spring. Wow! I really enjoy it every time! I have not played it when all the pins are in their longest positions, but would like to do so! I am writing on here to encourage people to play this course!
Cons: None, for now!

Step Up and be Counted.

1    9/30/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course has a rockin' layout. There are some great technical shots, the elevation changes are fantastic, and risk/reward factor showed up on many holes. They have course map/scorecards at the message board and you will need the map! I loved how some holes would allow you 2 different ways of getting to the hole. The water does come into play often as part of the course works around the lake. Holes 3 and 9 are fun over the lake shots, but do have alternate tee pads available for the less enthusiastic. ;) There were the occasional non-players walking around, but it isn't enough to say there are safety issues. The tee signs and the long concrete tee pads were great.
Cons: The message board does have a spot to tell you which pins are in position B, but it was not updated! :( I did not see any restrooms and very few trashcans. Navigation is actually tough even with the map. It would be great if you could play with a local your first time out.

This part of the negatives I am sure is seasonal or bad timing on my part, butů.
There were literally billions of mosquitoes. I mean I was walking through clouds of them the entire 18 holes and I used three complete layers of bug spray. That did almost no good at all. There was also tons of grasshoppers every where I stepped (not much of a problem, just annoying.) And the last bug complaint was that there were 4 tee pads with huge webs hanging right over them and they had spiders with the body size of quarters in them. I kind of made a half tee shot on those holes. ;)
Other Thoughts: Although my experience was not that good due to the bug issues, I would still say this course has a pretty good fun factor. Some of the blind cliff shots on the first nine were a real treat. I had actually planned to play this course twice, but I couldn't take the mosquitoes any more. I do think this a real challenge for all levels of the game. The front nine was much tougher than the back nine, as info.

2-4    7/17/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: High Flyer
This review was updated on 8/18/2008
Pros: Boost the rating to 4 stars if you're up for a challenge, there's no shortage here. The fairways on this course favor a well planned, well excecuted throw.

The maps, both online and in the box at the beginning of the course were very helpful.
Cons: Can be frustrating. Some holes had me thinking "you've got to be kidding me." I found myself being very conservative to keep things inbounds.
Other Thoughts: All in all, I think this course made me a better player where it challenged me to keep tight control on my throws.

worth the stop

1    3/18/2007   3/10/2008
Review By: DGtourist
This review was updated on 3/23/2009
Pros: The lake that Cottonmill plays through provides a nice forest like setting as well as good elevation changes. Thick trees come into play in interesting and sometimes creative ways. Some of the fairways are cleared out like ball golf fairways. You can tell that the people of Kearney love disc golf by how well cared for this course is. I was even provided with a map fresh from the printers, by some of the local clubbers who were clearing out debris. The beauty of this course, its flow and its shot variety make this one of my top five courses out of the about 50 I have played. If ever driving through Nebraska its worth the stop.
Cons: I got turned around looking for the back nine, due to an alternate pin location. However it was damn hard to think of a negative for this course. I cannot wait to come back someday.
Other Thoughts: Keep raising the bar Kearney! This was one of the first courses that I played as a DGtourist. At the time I thought it was an amazing course, I have since lowered my grade. It is still a very impressive course, maybe the best in central Nebraska, and I plan to stop by here next time I am in the area.

1 2 Next >